Kongo isn't annexed by Portugal

In 1914, following the Portuguese suppression of a Kongo revolt, Portugal abolished the titular monarchy. The remaining territories of the kingdom were assimilated into the colony of Angola and the Protectorate of Cabinda respectively
Say the revolt doesn't happen or Portugal decides not to absorb the Kingdom of the Kongo

How would a Kongo Protectorate effect the Angolan war for Independence and the Angolan civil war

Would it be possible for Kongo be an independent state

What would be the impact of a surviving kingdom of Kongo

Say the revolt doesn't happen or Portugal decides not to absorb the Kingdom of the Kongo

How would a Kongo Protectorate effect the Angolan war for Independence and the Angolan civil war

Would it be possible for Kongo be an independent state

What would be the impact of a surviving kingdom of Kongo

I think it either breaks away when the carnation revolution happens and the monarchy is toppled by a communist regime, or a different portuguese government might grant it independence and to angola and keep a military presence there.

By the MPLA or an internal coup ?

Both. Zanzibar for example became a kingdom as soon it got independence, then a few days later it got couped by a communist government. Also it is extremely rare to find african monarchies and the ones that exist like Lesotho are in power since there was a state protecting them. On the case of the Kingdom of Kongo there is little preventing the MPLA and other countries to invade and prop up a government.

That being said there is also the possibility that the MPLA collapses and Freelimo takes over, they could keep the Kingdom, who knows?

Zanzibar for example became a kingdom as soon it got independence,
Zanzibar was lead by minority Arab government .

On the case of the Kingdom of Kongo there is little preventing the MPLA and other countries to invade and prop up a government.
Wouldn’t the Kongo have it’s own military and the MPLA is going to be busy with the civil war with UNITA and invasion by South Africa to do much for the first few years.

Wouldn’t the Kongo have it’s own military and the MPLA is going to be busy with the civil war with UNITA and invasion by South Africa to do much for the first few years.

Yeah, UNITA, not FREELIMO, my error.

Yes, but the Kongo also would be in civil like Angola. I didn't knew that Zanzibar was a minority government, tough.

Let me call someone who have more information than me. I summon you, @Lusitania

Lusitania

Donor
It’s interesting concept in which there is no Belgium Congo. Therefore the interior of Belgium Congo be divided between the British, French, Germany and Portugal.

Portugal would of kept most of Belgium Congo as far inland as Angola. With the rest north going France and lands east of Portuguese West Africa split between Germany and Britain.

the kingdom of Congo would of been establish in the 19th century as a vassal of the kingdom of Portugal. With the abolishment of the Portuguese monarchy in 1910 it would of put the kingdom on short lease and the revolt in 1914 would given the republic government a reason to abolish anything to do with the monarchy.

As a result of the abolishment of the revolt the kingdom was abolished and its territory absorbed in Portuguese West Africa. At this time for administrative purposes Portuguese West Africa be divided into two or three separate colonies.

this might of been impacted by WW1. Would portugal get anything from Germany (assuming war outcome be same). Maybe 1/2 of Namibia?

so let's say rest of 20th century goes as iotl till the 1960s when the colonial wars start.The Portuguese be fighting separate forces in separate colonies. The crucial question is would Portugal be a richer country and move developed that it could support a larger colonial war or would the extra territory over tax the country’s ability to fight the various independence movements?

Last edited: