Kingdom of Tungning in the 19th Century

In an alternate scenerio, what if the Kingdom of Tungning was never annexed you the Qing Dynasty, and survives into the beginning of the 19th century.

Few questions:
  1. How would the Kingdom of Tungning react the changing times?
  2. How would they react to the First and Second Opium Wars? Or rebellions like the Taiping Rebellion?
  3. Would they try to Industrialize and Modernize?
  4. Would they try to become a Colonial Power?
  5. Would they become another nations colony or become a protectate? (The Elephant in the room, Japan)

Kaze

Banned
IF they are not annexed by some colonial power like Spain, France, Dutch, or England; I expect them to be much like Korea. Industrialization would come far too late for them to stave off the tides from their neighbors = sooner or later they would become a protectorate of either the Qing, the French (who had interests in nearby Vietnam), the British, or the Japanese.
As for the Taipings, I expect that a general would propose intervening or invading - in order to colonize / retake the mainland - the rebellion would be the perfect opportunity to gain some land.

If the Tungning did survive to the 1850s, without being colonized yet, how would hey react to the Taiping Rebellion? Would they join in the fight, and invade, or support the Heavenly Kingdom, or denounce it as a False successor to the Ming,

The kingdom of Dongning continuing to exist could very plausibly butterfly away Qing China's military decline entirely, as some actual historians with PhDs have suggested (e.g. Tonio Andrade), so y'all seem all a bit determinist here.

Also if the kingdom of Tungning survived the Europeans, would it become a protectorate if Japan, like how Korea was?
IF they are not annexed by some colonial power like Spain, France, Dutch, or England; I expect them to be much like Korea. Industrialization would come far too late for them to stave off the tides from their neighbors = sooner or later they would become a protectorate of either the Qing, the French (who had interests in nearby Vietnam), the British, or the Japanese.
As for the Taipings, I expect that a general would propose intervening or invading - in order to colonize / retake the mainland - the rebellion would be the perfect opportunity to gain some land.

I honestly expect Tungning to do much better than Japan,at least in terms of Westernization. Unlike Japan,the Qing Dynasty and Korea,Tungning does not have the luxury of being complacent. To survive,it needs to rely on its’ navy and trade with western powers.It was much more open to the west than any of the powers in East Asia.The only problem I can see is population.Tungning did not have a large population.

I can imagine the Kingdom of Tungning being a colonial maritime power in th East in the 17th and 18th century, sort of like Portugal. With its small population size(If Han people don’t immigrate to escape the Qing over the years) it can take the coast lines in places like Vietnam, the Spanish Philippines, the Dutch East Indies, Malaysia, but can’t move further inland. Coasts of Qing China is if-y, since that started a war, and the Kingdom’s destruction. If it survives to the 19th century, I can see it try to Industrialize and westernize. I can actually imagine them annexing the Lanfang Republic, maybe even trade with the British Raj.

I can imagine the Kingdom of Tungning being a colonial maritime power in th East in the 17th and 18th century, sort of like Portugal. With its small population size(If Han people don’t immigrate to escape the Qing over the years) it can take the coast lines in places like Vietnam, the Spanish Philippines, the Dutch East Indies, Malaysia, but can’t move further inland. Coasts of Qing China is if-y, since that started a war, and the Kingdom’s destruction. If it survives to the 19th century, I can see it try to Industrialize and westernize. I can actually imagine them annexing the Lanfang Republic, maybe even trade with the British Raj.
They did have trade ties with the English. I read about English merchants buying sugar from Tungning once.

If the Tungning did survive, would they modernize their navy and army? From using using Chinese Junks to European Ships? Would they go from Ratten shields to Gatling Guns?