Another option could be to have Italian unification unify only Northern Italy, and have the two halves of Italy view themselves as distinct. With that set up, it would be very easy for an independent Corsica to exist.
It would also be easy (/easier) for Corsica to maintain its unique culture and institutions within a united, federated "Italy". Whether Corsica is part of the unification or not, I think most of us can agree it would be better if the alternate Italian Unification only covered the north of the peninsula, leaving Naples and Sicily out of it entirely.

It would also be easy (/easier) for Corsica to maintain its unique culture and institutions within a united, federated "Italy". Whether Corsica is part of the unification or not, I think most of us can agree it would be better if the alternate Italian Unification only covered the north of the peninsula, leaving Naples and Sicily out of it entirely.
Absolutely. What would be really interesting would be having the Kingdom of Corsica incorporating in some way Sardinia (the island no5 the Kingdom) but that would require the Savoy being able to transfer their royal title on another of their lands

Sardinia is still somewhat bigger and currently more populous. If Corsica experiences a population boom, a kingdom of Corsica and Sardinia would be feasible without Corsica becoming the minor partner. That's a big if though.

You guys are mono-focused on the unification process. Why create a Neuhoff Italy or a Neuhoff Corsica-Sardinia? If the Bourbons and Hapsburgs or Oldenburgs could head up multiple kingdoms, then why not have a Neuhoff candidate become King of Sardinia, separate from the Neuhoffs of Corsica?

You guys are mono-focused on the unification process. Why create a Neuhoff Italy or a Neuhoff Corsica-Sardinia? If the Bourbons and Hapsburgs or Oldenburgs could head up multiple kingdoms, then why not have a Neuhoff candidate become King of Sardinia, separate from the Neuhoffs of Corsica?
I think its because the Neuhoffs are pretty new as a royal house

The Neuhoff[1] is a very minor German noble family who have had a lucky streak in how they have become recognized. The marriage of Theodore to one of the oldest house in Europe and the head of the house deciding to throw his full support behind the marriage pretty much raised Theodore to a level where he and his heir would be treated with some degree of respect to avoid insulting the Oldenburg monarchies. But his house is still a newcomer and when Italian nationalism hit, it will also be seen as a foreign dynasty.

[1] The name itself tell exactly how minor a house the Neuhoff, it simply mean “new farm”.

Finished reading the entire timeline after a week of hectic reading. I can say with certainty that this was the best timeline I read in the forum yet.

I think it's because there's that lingering sense of determinism that Italian nationalism will still emerge as it did IOTL, even without He Who Must Not Be Named, and that it will successfully create an Italian nation-state which will subsume a Corsica that is not occupied by France. And if so, why not have the King of Corsica become the King of this new Italy? Someone has to, right? Never mind that it could become a republic, or even a German-style federation where the member states continue to exercise considerable autonomy (probably the best case for any Corsica which joins Italy). Personally I think a Corsica remaining independent of a Greater Italian state is more interesting anyway, but that's just me...
It could be a federal Italy instead of the French inspired unitary Italy we have.

Rosenheim

Donor
I trust that whether Carp makes this a story of Corsica remaining independent OR Corsica being part of a wider Italy OR stops the TL before/at the beginning of the modern political landscape of nations emerging in Europe, it will remain interesting.

Last edited:
I trust that whether Carp makes this a story of Corsica remaining independent OR Corsica being part of a wider Italy OR stops the TL before/at the beginning of the modern political landscape of nations emerging in Europe, it will remain interesting.
If I remember correctly they've hinted that he'll end it before the 19th century

Alternatively, we could cross our fingers and hope this timeline would continue to for example the 29th, featuring chapters which take place on a vast generation ship which carries the island of Corsica to it's future resting spot as the rightful capitol-island of a brand new human world.

If I remember correctly they've hinted that he'll end it before the 19th century
What I've said before is that I plan for this TL to continue at least to the end of the 18th century (or close to it). Going beyond that point pretty much requires me to explore the consequences of Europe without OTL's French Revolution and Napoleonic period, which is a rather daunting challenge. Whether I continue past that point will depend on how I feel at the time, and whether I think I can make a plausible and interesting narrative. That's not a decision I'm going to make until I get there.

What I've said before is that I plan for this TL to continue at least to the end of the 18th century (or close to it). Going beyond that point pretty much requires me to explore the consequences of Europe without OTL's French Revolution and Napoleonic period, which is a rather daunting challenge. Whether I continue past that point will depend on how I feel at the time, and whether I think I can make a plausible and interesting narrative. That's not a decision I'm going to make until I get there.
oh yeah sorry my mistake I meant to say the 17th century.

It seems proper to inform my readers that updates will not be coming quickly in the foreseeable future. Recent personal developments require me to be a nearly full-time caregiver on top of my regular job, which means that I have seldom found the time - or, to be quite honest, the emotional energy - to do meaningful work on KTC. This isn't really a hiatus as such, more of a slowdown; I enjoy writing and I will continue to do it in those times when I have the capacity to do so. If I am unable to offer much in the next few months, however, I wanted to head off the inevitable questions as to when the next update is (I don't know) or whether the TL is "dead" (it's not).

I appreciate all the support, feedback, and critique you've given me over the past three years. Here's hoping that next year will be better than the last.

It seems proper to inform my readers that updates will not be coming quickly in the foreseeable future. Recent personal developments require me to be a nearly full-time caregiver on top of my regular job, which means that I have seldom found the time - or, to be quite honest, the emotional energy - to do meaningful work on KTC. This isn't really a hiatus as such, more of a slowdown; I enjoy writing and I will continue to do it in those times when I have the capacity to do so. If I am unable to offer much in the next few months, however, I wanted to head off the inevitable questions as to when the next update is (I don't know) or whether the TL is "dead" (it's not).

I appreciate all the support, feedback, and critique you've given me over the past three years. Here's hoping that next year will be better than the last.
Real life come first, of course. Good luck.

Good luck and I hope for the best for you.

Good luck. Real life concerns come first. And we'll wait.

I don’t see the Kingdom of Corsica lasting for that long in the grand scheme of things. It would undoubtedly side with the monarchists in the French Revolution, get invaded and made into a Republic or apart of Revolutionary France. And if they choose to stay neutral, they will likely get invaded anyway.