I can see how could be an issue to find an Italian bride for several reasons, but from the moment the search would start from Rome, a marriage with a one of the highest houses there could work. Colonna, Borghese, Doria Pamphilj... My personal first suggestion is going for the daughters of Camillo Borghese, Prince of Sulmona, married with a Colonna, therefore of the highest Roman nobility and plus with a rich dowry on their heads. Will gain also points with the Papacy, plus as Borghese was prized with Spanish titles, could offer an angle for a possible distension with Madrid.

If else... while personally an union with house Savoia or with a Piedmontan noble would be logical but also risky, despite there is Eleonora Maria Teresa as the most available choice in the Italian scenery...

A third suggestion would be marry with one of the noblest Milanese families, the Borromeo... a solution which would please surely Wien. Maybe among the daughters of Giovanni Benedetto, current count of Arona. While being only a count, he would be one of the richest men of Italy...

Italian nobility with a big dowry is the best choice and the daughter of either the prince of Sulmona or the count of Arona would work perfectly for Theodore.. then their son will marry a true princess (look at Tuscany: Cosimo I married the daughter of a powerful Spanish noble (after the illegitimate daughter of Charles V, widow of his kinsman and predecessor was denied to him), his eldest son married a true Archduchess and when his second son became GranDuke married a much well connected princess from Lorraine)

I really like the Cybo-Malaspina option. They married with both ruling families of Italy (something that Theodore wants to become) and minor nobility (which he is). They would have no problem choosing him.

Other option would be a niece of the Pope. The last time it happened was with Rannuccio I Farnese of Parma, but it could be revived. However, Benedict XIV doesn't seem the guy to push his family's fortune above the interests of the Church. Also, I couldn't find anything about his family other than they were marquesses of Poggio Renatico in Ferrara.

Also, and maybe as a slap in the face of the Genoese, he could marry a Venetian Noble woman. It's a pity that the doge then, Pietro Grimani, was single. I couldn't find information about his close family either.

Last edited:
Italian nobility is probably for the best, although Germans are a decent backup choice. They will tend to be 1) rich, 2) old blood/money, 3) not so high on the totem pole to reject Theodore, 4) may or may not have ties with Hapsburg or Bourbons, and 5) Catholic. Tuscany, Piedmont, Papal Territories, the Two Sicilies, or Lombardy would probably be the best, though some Venetian family isn't impossible either.

Venice would be an interesting choice. Theodore had a fair number of contacts and friends there, and in 1749 his in-law Montealegre, formerly the chief minister of Naples, would become the Neapolitan ambassador to Venice. It’s also not the strangest pairing ever from a Venetian perspective; outside of Genoa itself, Venice was the largest recruiter of Corsican soldiers (which is why there are so many ex-Venetian soldiers among Theodore’s regular officers). The main problem is that I’ve found it incredibly difficult to find information on the families of Venetian nobility at this time. For whatever reason it seems to be much more challenging than getting information on, say, Roman or Neapolitan nobility.

I wouldn’t envy the position of these spoiled young Italian princesses we’re discussing. Sure, there’s the matter of being a teenager married off to a guy in his 50s, but the real issue is that going from the courtly society of Rome, Naples, Venice, or wherever else to Corsica is going to absolutely suck. I can just imagine the 16 year old daughter of the wealthy and extravagant Prince of Sulmona, whose life thus far presumably consists of operas, balls, and lavish parties being brought to Corti, a place so comparatively squalid and bleak it must seem like purgatory.

Go for an out-of-left-field candidate, that'd be fun.

At the moment by left-fieldest idea involves a 31 year old widow from a cadet (and Catholic) branch of the Danish royal house who happens to be in Italy at this time. She has a rather astonishing story but I’m not sure there’s much of a dowry in the deal.

Last edited:
Venice would be an interesting choice. Theodore had a fair number of contacts and friends there, and in 1749 his in-law Montealegre, formerly the chief minister of Naples, would become the Neapolitan ambassador to Venice. It’s also not the strangest pairing ever from a Venetian perspective; outside of Genoa itself, Venice was the largest recruiter of Corsican soldiers (which is why there are so many ex-Venetian soldiers among Theodore’s regular officers). The main problem is that I’ve found it incredibly difficult to find information on the families of Venetian nobility at this time. For whatever reason it seems to be much more challenging than getting information on, say, Roman or Neapolitan nobility.

I wouldn’t envy the position of these spoiled young Italian princesses we’re discussing. Sure, there’s the matter of being a teenager married off to a guy in his 50s, but the real issue is that going from the courtly society of Rome, Naples, Venice, or wherever else to Corsica is going to absolutely suck. I can just imagine the 16 year old daughter of the wealthy and extravagant Prince of Sulmona, whose life thus far presumably consists of operas, balls, and lavish parties being brought to Corti, a place so comparatively squalid and bleak it must seem like purgatory.

At the moment by left-fieldest idea involves a 32 year old widow from a cadet (and Catholic) branch of the Danish royal house who happens to be in Italy at this time. She has a rather astonishing story but I’m not sure there’s much of a dowry in the deal.

DOOOO EEEIITTT.
Seriously given Theodore's history with women some passionate love affair with a bored royal widow leading to a, ahem, forced wedding, seems perfectly in character for him.

At the moment by left-fieldest idea involves a 31 year old widow from a cadet (and Catholic) branch of the Danish royal house who happens to be in Italy at this time. She has a rather astonishing story but I’m not sure there’s much of a dowry in the deal.

For Venice IIRC the main Venetian families tried very hard to avoid splitting up family fortunes. So even for families that had a lot of children (such as the insane profusion of Alvise Mocenigos) often only the heir would get married and the rest would join the church or remain single. In order to keep the number of (voting) nobility down the government would provide a stipend to unmarried male nobles. This meant that there was a large surplus of unmarried Venetian noblewomen, many of whom ended up becoming nuns. But still, there should be a lot of unmarried Venetian noblewomen kicking around, more than most anywhere else unless practices changed during the twilight of the Venetian Republic.

fie on the dowry, this must be done :p

It sounds like a fun idea, but pushing any prospective heirs' claims on Denmark is going to involve sailing all the way around Europe and Denmark has always had at least the ambitions if not the status of a regional naval power.

It sounds like a fun idea, but pushing any prospective heirs' claims on Denmark is going to involve sailing all the way around Europe and Denmark has always had at least the ambitions if not the status of a regional naval power.

It's not the claim we care about, it's the drama. Theodore doesn't deserve a wife who's some boring arranged marriage with some irrelevant minor noble. He deserves a wench with experience, and a salacious and romantic courtship fit for a screenplay or a gossip rag.

I was being somewhat facetious, or at any rate presenting an obvious misunderstanding in an overblown manner in an attempt at humour. Corsica will obviously need a lot of time to build up the sort of navy and international prestige to project any power outside of their island, except for maybe some rare perfect opportunities like the bloodless seizure of Capraia.

Bison

Banned
I think the biggest physical obstacle hampering Corsica's development is Malaria. Corsica has some excellent ports and is positioned geographically to become a trading hub and grow its population - but all of this is rooted in it's coast, and part of that coast is rendered nearly useless with the insane attrition and disease sweeping it.

If the woman in question is who I think he is talking about, then her claim to the Danish Throne would be as distant or even more than the one of Lady Ogilvy to the British throne.

If the woman in question is who I think he is talking about, then her claim to the Danish Throne would be as distant or even more than the one of Lady Ogilvy to the British throne.

And again it's not the claim that matters, it's the courtship. Theodore's rise to power is entertaining, and while it would be more "realistic" for him to marry some unknown teenage Italian noble it would also be boring- and we aren't following King Theodore's lovely tale for the dull, "normal" option!

I think the biggest physical obstacle hampering Corsica's development is Malaria. Corsica has some excellent ports and is positioned geographically to become a trading hub and grow its population - but all of this is rooted in it's coast, and part of that coast is rendered nearly useless with the insane attrition and disease sweeping it.
Well, the high-in-quinine bark of the cinchona tree (Jesuit's Bark) had been used a malarial curative for a while now. In fact, contemporaneous to this TL, the French naturalist Charles Marie de La Condamine was in Ecuador and published a paper on the taxonomy and medicinal properties of the varieties of cinchona trees in 1738. Our Theodore seems like the perfect philosopher king to make full utilization of such discoveries.

Theodore fancies himself a Doctor, I wonder what the chances are of him having or obtaining one of the Chinese herbal treatises that describe wormwood as a treatment for Malaria.

Winning the Peace
Winning the Peace

All say that they sincerely want peace, but each would like it with his advantage, which is the same as saying he does not want it.”

- Archbishop Carlo Francesco Durini, Papal Nuncio to France

While the War of the Austrian Succession was sparked by an opportunistic territory grab by the King of Prussia, it quickly transformed into a contest of grand designs for the future of Europe. The French had plunged into the conflict dreaming of breaking the power of the House of Austria once and for all, placing the imperial crown upon the head of their puppet Wittelsbach emperor, and gaining the continental hegemony that French monarchs far more formidable than Louis XV had tried and failed to achieve. The Spanish had joined the fight to complete the long struggle of King Felipe V to finally make good his claims upon the territory of the Spanish Habsburgs and establish Bourbon dominion over Italy from Sicily to the Alps, with his son Don Felipe ruling as King of Lombardy. Britain had entered the war reluctantly, initially serving only as Austria’s paymaster to prevent their continental ally from collapsing totally. Under Carteret’s administration, however, Britain too had aspired to great heights, daring to imagine the Bourbons driven back from Germany and Italy - even Lorraine - and confined safely within their own territories by a grand anti-Bourbon European alliance.

Six years of war had not been kind to these lofty aspirations. Politically, militarily, and especially economically, the belligerent states were exhausted, and their expectations for the peace had grown dramatically less ambitious as a consequence. Spain still demanded a state for Don Felipe, but given the destruction of their army and Felipe’s own imprisonment they now appeared to be ready to settle for any state at all, a far cry from the total expulsion of Austria from Italy. Britain, looking apprehensively at the dire state of the Netherlands, would be quite satisfied with the status quo ante bellum - although they hoped that their conquest of the French port of Louisbourg in the Americas might be made permanent. France’s goals, which had been the grandest of all in 1741, had diminished to almost nothing: King Louis appeared to want little more than the satisfaction of his allies and the return of lost territory. The King of Sardinia was unique in that his goals had started small and had never wavered: Carlo Emanuele III wished only to preserve the Treaty of Worms and the territorial gains, minor but strategically important, which he had been promised by Vienna.

Standing apart from this crowd was Austria. The Empress-Queen Maria Theresa had begun the war with the least visionary of goals, although that did not mean it was easily achieved: the preservation of the lands and crowns of the House of Habsburg. After the 1745 Treaty of Berlin, however, the empress had sought to mitigate her loss of Silesia with conquests elsewhere. Austria had become the most aggressive of the belligerent powers, and the only state which outwardly appeared to be in no hurry to make peace. Maria Theresa hoped by sheer obstinacy to impose her will upon enemies and allies alike. This strategy of defiance, however, was seriously compromised by her financial dependence on Britain.

Goals for the Peace

This list does not necessarily cover all of a state’s aspirational goals, but rather goals which were earnestly pursued by the diplomats of the belligerent powers in 1746-47. Spain, for instance, wanted the return of Minorca and Gibraltar, but nobody seriously considered these territories to be in play.

Britain
  • Restoration of the status quo ante bellum in the Austrian Netherlands
  • Retention of Louisbourg, conquered from the French in 1745
  • Recovery of Madras from the French, conquered from the EIC in 1746
  • Restoration of the Asiento and the Annual Ship, commercial rights concerning the Spanish Americas secured by the British in 1713
  • Recognition of the Hanoverian succession by the Bourbons and the expulsion of the Jacobites in exile
Austria
  • Recovery of the Austrian Netherlands from France
  • Territorial compensation to counterbalance the loss of Silesia
  • Abrogation of the Treaty of Worms which obliged Austria to cede territory to Sardinia
  • Recognition of Franz Stefan as Holy Roman Emperor
  • No recognition for Prussia’s acquisition of Silesia
Sardinia
  • Recovery of Savoy from the Spanish
  • Recognition of the Treaty of Worms which obliged Austria to cede territory to Sardinia
  • Cession of Finale from Genoa (and any other Genoese territory which might be procured)
Spain
  • Liberty for Don Felipe and his establishment in a principality
  • Denial of the Asiento and Annual Ship concessions to Britain
France
  • Liberty for Don Felipe and his establishment in a principality
  • Recovery of Cape Breton Island from the British
  • Recovery of occupied Provence from the Austrians
  • Lifting of fortification restrictions on Dunkirk
  • Recovery of all allied (Genoese and Modenese) territory
Modena
  • Liberty for the Duke and the recovery of all Modenese territory
  • Territorial and/or monetary compensation for Modena’s support for the Bourbon cause
Genoa
  • Recovery of all Genoese territory including Finale
  • Recognition of Genoese rights to Corsica
  • Termination of foreign assistance to the Corsican rebels
  • Abrogation of Genoa’s remaining indemnity to Vienna

Beginning in late 1746, Britain had sought to capitalize on the regime change in Spain by breaking the Bourbon alliance and seeking a separate peace with the new king Fernando VI, whose wife Barbara was Portuguese and an advocate of peace. Despite Spain’s weak position, the British were open to making concessions in Italy - or, more accurately, forcing their allies to make concessions in Italy - because they reasoned that it would be easier to get what they wanted in the Americas from Spain if the Spanish were appeased with Italian gains. Informal talks in Lisbon, however, failed to make any progress. The British demanded commercial concessions that Fernando did not wish to grant, while the Spanish brought up matters like the return of Minorca and Gibraltar which the British were not even interested in discussing.

Parallel to these informal talks were the formal discussions at Breda between the British and French (but hosted and observed by the Dutch). The Congress of Breda, however, never really had a chance to succeed. The British delegate John Montagu, Earl of Sandwich had been specifically instructed to obstruct and accomplish nothing, as the British hoped for their negotiating position to improve on the battlefield. The talks finally collapsed in the spring of 1747 over a dispute as to whether a Spanish delegate should be formally seated. France’s delegate Louis Philogène Brûlart, vicomte de Puisieulx was the one who objected to a Spanish presence, arguing that he sufficiently represented his alliance and that more parties would further confuse the matter.

If the British proved intractable, France could potentially turn to Vienna for a peace, and this was very seriously considered. As the ambassadors spun their wheels at Breda, Saxony mediated secret talks between the French and Austrians. These talks were mainly attractive to the Austrians because a separate peace with France offered the potential of the renunciation of the Worms treaty, as the French seemed willing to abide Austria betraying her Sardinian allies in a way that the British would not. Yet while the Austrian representatives suggested that they would be willing to forgo any gains at the expense of Genoa and Modena, they would hear nothing of Don Felipe’s establishment in Italy. Riding high after the crushing defeat of the Bourbon forces at Piacenza, the occupation of Genoa, and the invasion of Provence, Maria Theresa was not in a conciliatory mood, and Austria’s representative Count Bartenstein scoffed at the notion that the man they currently held prisoner - who, he hastened to add, had no claim whatsoever to an inch of soil in Italy - would be granted any of the empress-queen’s land. The most Vienna was willing to give Felipe was his freedom.

The greatest enemy to peace was now the enthusiasm which the 1746-47 campaigns had enkindled among the anti-Bourbon allies. The Bourbons had been crushed in Italy and for the first time were on the defensive in Provence. Abroad, the British racked up victory after victory; although they had been unable to seize any American territory from Spain, they had taken and held the key French colony of Cape Breton Island. The French fleet was everywhere beaten and their merchant shipping savaged by British cruisers and privateers; only in distant India, where an inconclusive naval skirmish had led to the British garrison at Madras being exposed and conquered by a French detachment, had King Louis managed to find victory abroad. Even the Dutch cheered for war (despite the fact that they were still not actually at war), believing that the Battle of Maastricht had demonstrated the high water mark of French arms.

In such a position the allies scarcely seemed to need peace. But the allied armies were not advancing everywhere, for that fall Maximilian Ulysses, Graf von Browne once more broke off the siege of Toulon. His victory at Draguignan had been a tactical success but in retrospect did not alter the overall strategic situation, which was that he was operating with limited forces deep in French territory. Louis François de Bourbon, Prince de Conti had quickly made up his losses from Draguignan with fresh reinforcements, while the allied army grew ever smaller from sickness and desertion. Browne held on as long as he could with a superior French army once more looming over him, but eventually ambition gave way to prudence, and the Austro-Sardinian army executed a gradual retreat back over the Argens. The truth was that the Austrians, despite their feigned belligerence, had lost the will to fight; the empress had congratulated Browne after Draguignan but subsequently instructed him to conserve his forces and seek no more battles. Maria Theresa did not trust her allies and had no desire to spill torrents of Austrian blood for what she saw as Britain’s private obsession with Toulon.

This retreat breathed new life into the moribund Austro-French talks. For the first time, the Austrians began to speak of a compromise on the matter of Don Felipe. Wenzel Anton von Kaunitz, a rising star in Austrian diplomacy, had devised an intriguing solution: Austria, he proposed, would be willing to establish Don Felipe in Italy, but with a proviso: if the prince died without heirs, or if he succeeded his brother Don Carlos in Naples, the territory would revert to Austria. Kaunitz further proposed that Don Carlos cede Naples to his younger brother if he should gain the throne of Spain, not a particularly unlikely scenario given that King Fernando VI and his wife were thus far childless. The notion would have upset the Spanish had they been privy to the talks, but the French received it favorably, as it appeared to be a way that King Louis could save face and honor his commitments to his Spanish kinsmen. The only question that remained was whether this principality was to be Parma or presently-occupied Savoy, in which case the Austrians proposed to compensate Carlo Emanuele by giving him the revenues of Austrian Parma as long as Savoy remained in Bourbon hands.[1]

While Vienna and Paris seemed to be reaching an accord, the prospects for an Anglo-French peace looked grim. When Puisieulx and Sandwich - the men who had failed at Breda - sat down at Liège in late summer (this time without any Dutch, Spanish, or anyone else to observe them), Puisieulx found his interlocutor almost completely intractable. Sandwich refused to consider any settlement for Don Felipe or any retrocession of Louisbourg and Cape Breton Island, France’s two foremost objectives. This “negotiation” broke up after only a single day of discussion, although both men agreed that a peace conference was in order.

Nevertheless, the French negotiators were convinced that only an agreement with Britain could offer a comprehensive peace. The British (specifically, their subsidies) were necessary to the Austrian war effort, but the reverse was not true; the Austrians were a mere token presence in the Netherlands and the British could certainly keep up their ruinous war against French shipping without Austrian help. More importantly, however, Britain possessed Cape Breton Island, which meant only Britain could give it back. If France and Austria made a separate peace, the British might simply decide to keep their winnings in the Americas. The only leverage which France exerted on the British was by their presence in the Netherlands, but if a peace with Austria was reached the French army would necessarily have to vacate the province. Without a French army in the Austrian Netherlands, the French could place no pressure on the Dutch, and thus no pressure on the British.

October saw the announcement that the peace conference which Puisieulx and Sandwich had agreed upon was to be held at the city of Aix-la-Chapelle. All the major belligerents would be sending delegations - the Spanish, French, British, Austrians, Sardinians, and Dutch - as well as the states of Genoa and Modena, despite being wholly occupied by hostile forces. Notably absent was Prussia, which had left the war some years prior; Naples, which had never officially joined the war and presently claimed neutrality; and of course Corsica, which was expected given that none of the belligerent parties recognized the island’s independent government.

The great number of parties present at Aix-la-Chapelle belied the fact that the resolution to the war was to come from an Anglo-French agreement. By early 1748, the British had backed off somewhat from their earlier standoffishness and were ready to deal. This was partly a product of Browne’s retreat from Toulon and his steady withdrawal eastwards; although he entered winter quarters in Provence, the possibility remained that he might be driven behind the Siagne once more, and the Austrian reinforcements necessary to turn the situation around were not forthcoming. The development which truly shocked the British, however, was the revelation that the Dutch were even weaker than everyone assumed - in January and February of 1748 it became apparent that the Dutch would be able to field only a small fraction of the forces they had promised, and even this would require significantly larger subsidies from the British. A rollback of the French presence in the Austrian Netherlands was clearly not possible, and Maurice de Saxe might even be able to resume the offensive despite his army being depleted by reinforcements sent south. With all of Britain’s allies clearly fatigued, it was clear that a maximalist position was no longer tenable.

Footnotes
[1] The notion of offering Corsica to Don Felipe was also brought up, but this proved impractical - not because the Austrians were reluctant to sell out the Corsicans (they weren’t), but because it was intolerable to the French, who would see any attempt to carve out Felipe’s principality from the territory of a Bourbon ally as tantamount to an admission of defeat.

Last edited: