Maybe Greece will get its own independence a bit earlier in this timeline and the Corsicans can help them go home, even help arm and transport them to Southern Greece.

Great to see these latest updates! Of the 500 or so Jews in Corsica, what's the split between Italian and Tunisian immigrants? I'd imagine that the island is going to become a hotly contested subject in the emerging Jewish Enlightenment.

Deleted member 67076

Is it i possible that we might see Arab or Turkish Tunisians move to Corsica as well?

Maybe Greece will get its own independence a bit earlier in this timeline and the Corsicans can help them go home, even help arm and transport them to Southern Greece.

Well, historically the Orlov Revolt is only about a decade away. While the Orlov Revolt as such won’t happen ITTL, an attempt to rouse the Greeks in a future Russo-Ottoman War is certainly possible. Much depends on Russian foreign policy, which may be quite a departure from OTL as the eastern situation is entirely different. The Saxon-Polish union endures under a surviving King Frederick Christian of Poland-Prussia and the Austrians are significantly stronger in the wake of the FYW, which may make them more willing to stand up to Russian expansionism. Then again, if Peter III stays on the throne he may be more interested in the Baltic than in the Black Sea region given his personal claims on Holstein and Sweden.

Great to see these latest updates! Of the 500 or so Jews in Corsica, what's the split between Italian and Tunisian immigrants?

The national lines here are somewhat blurry. The Tunisian grana basically are Italian Jews - they were originally from Livorno, speak Italian, dress in European styles, and so on. They are part of an interconnected Mediterranean community, and have friends, family, and business associates in Livorno, Pisa, Genoa, and other Italian cities. Many of the Corsican grana did not emigrate directly to Corsica, but fled to Livorno first and then decided to establish themselves in Ajaccio. So while I would say that the grana outnumber the strictly “Italian Jews” at this point, it’s sort of a distinction without a difference. The Corsicans probably can’t tell them apart.

The twansa, or Arabic-speaking native Tunisian Jews, are a different story. To the Corsicans they’re probably indistinguishable from “Turks,” but not many of them have actually immigrated to Corsica. Tunisia is their ancestral homeland, they generally don’t speak Italian, and they don’t have the money or international connections that make it easy for the grana to relocate. Certainly many twansa fled from Tunis during the civil war, but most probably went to Algiers or Tripoli rather than Italy. Unlike the grana, most of them presumably returned home once Ali Bey restored order, and since they’re generally not involved in international trade the growing dominance of the Barbary Company doesn’t really affect them. The number of twansa in Ajaccio in the mid-1760s is probably not more than 50, and without the numbers to sustain a distinct community they are very likely to assimilate into “Italo-Jewish” culture.

Is it i possible that we might see Arab or Turkish Tunisians move to Corsica as well?

Very unlikely. The Corsicans may be suspicious of Jews and “heretics,” but they really don’t like Muslims. Their island has been screwed over by Muslim pirates since before Charlemagne, a history which is etched in their culture and the land itself. Every one of those old Genoese towers along the coast is a reminder of the lives stolen by Barbary slavers. Not unlike the Spanish, their whole founding national narrative is about driving out the “Moors;” hell, a Moor’s severed head is even on their flag.* In theory Theodore’s tolerance extends even to Muslims, but as far as the Corsicans are concerned the Muslims are still the Enemy. The occasional Muslim trader is tolerable so long as he doesn’t stray too far from the harbor, but any attempt at settlement would be a scandalous outrage.

*Although it’s entirely possible that the Moor’s Head was originally supposed to be a depiction of Saint Maurice, an Egyptian soldier-saint typically depicted as black.

Crack idea: Greek Corsicans in the French New World

I mean, IOTL they ended up in Florida, so...

Last edited:
There might be person named Napoleone di Buonaparte but he will not be OTL Napoleon.

Right--the name's likely to show up, because the Buonapartes were fond of it, but his OTL father is probably a genetically similar but not identical individual living in Corsica, and his OTL mother was never born, and her family lives in Genoa now.

Right--the name's likely to show up, because the Buonapartes were fond of it, but his OTL father is probably a genetically similar but not identical individual living in Corsica, and his OTL mother was never born, and her family lives in Genoa now.
And I'm still holding out for Napoleon's ATL cousin to become Prime Minister of Corsica. :D

Corsican Enlightenment intensifies.

Actually, I intend to spend a little time on the place of Theodore's state in the broader Enlightenment in the next chapter, as we're finally getting to Theodore's church trouble. Although I don't pretend to be an expert on Enlightenment philosophers, I too read my classical political theorists back in the day, and perhaps I can take a stab at what men like Montesquieu, Hume, and Rousseau would have thought about Theodore's principles, and in particular his program of religious liberty.

The philosophes spent rather a lot of time talking praising "toleration," but it wasn't quite as clear-cut as you might assume. They had a lot of contradictory and qualified opinions, and it's not always clear what Enlightenment writers thought "tolerance" or "freedom of conscience" would actually look like if applied in practice. Moreover, when the philosophes spoke of tolerance they often had tolerance for other Christians in mind, and the place of Jews in a "tolerant" regime was more ambiguous. Voltaire, for instance, pleaded loudly for tolerance, but as for his opinions on the Jews, well...

Is there a chance for Voltaire's opinions to change? He certainly had a shift in opinion regarding Muhammad when he was younger (Le Fanatisme) vs. when he was older (Catéchisme de l’honnête homme). Though with that said, he never met any Muslim and centered his views on his own interpretation of Muhammad and the Quran, and was a tad condescending at that (Goethe was probably much more progressive on this front).

Still, Theodore's idea of Corsican liberty will make a lot of waves on Europe's intellectuals, and the inclusion of the Jewish community might edge the needle closer to them being tolerated, if not accepted.

Hope everyone had a good Winter Holiday time, while I was home I came across this mug and couldn't help but wonder why this looks to similar to Corsica's Moor's Head flag. Is there an actual reason why, I believe I picked this mug at a garage sale, says its from Bush Gardens however, so do not know if there is any authenticity it the depictions of the coat of arms/flags.

0F6D50A9-2CDB-4AFB-87F5-9A37EB84A155.jpeg

Apologies for the orientation and quality, tried the best with it!

Hope everyone had a good Winter Holiday time, while I was home I came across this mug and couldn't help but wonder why this looks to similar to Corsica's Moor's Head flag. Is there an actual reason why, I believe I picked this mug at a garage sale, says its from Bush Gardens however, so do not know if there is any authenticity it the depictions of the coat of arms/flags.

View attachment 514469
Apologies for the orientation and quality, tried the best with it!

Hope everyone had a good Winter Holiday time, while I was home I came across this mug and couldn't help but wonder why this looks to similar to Corsica's Moor's Head flag.

A moor’s head coat of arms, particularly in Germany, is typically a depiction of Saint Maurice. Maurice was a Roman soldier from Egypt who was martyred for his faith. Maurice was a very popular saint in Medieval Europe, and in Medieval iconography he was typically depicted as a black African or “Moor.” The Ottonian kings gave special veneration to Saint Maurice from the 10th century, and Maurice became a patron saint of the Holy Roman (and later Austrian) emperors; his relics were used in imperial coronations until 1916. I don’t know how Coburg specifically ended up with the moor's head on its coat of arms, but it does occasionally make an appearance in German heraldry because of its imperial and saintly associations.

The moor's head of Corsica may have originally been a reference to Saint Maurice, but we don't really know. It probably originated with the Aragonese, and it could very well be related to Corsica’s (or Aragon's) interactions with actual Moors rather than an image of a saint. I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure.

Last edited:
It should probably be said that adopting the severed head of a fallen enemy as your national symbol is kind of strange.