King Louis Philippe Egalité

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Ricardolindo, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Ricardolindo Well-Known Member

Inspired by John Frederick Parker's thread in 2018 and the fact, that, I am currently studying the French Revolution for my high school test: What if Louis XVI and his close family had successfully fled and then the National Constituent Assembly declared, that, they had renounced their succession rights and made Louis Philippe II d' Orleans/Philippe Egalité, a notorius supporter of the Revolution, King of the French? How would he rule France?

John Fredrick Parker likes this.
  2. John Fredrick Parker Donor

KidCabralista likes this.
  3. Kaze Well-Known Member

He would have problems to rule as an absolute ruler...Philip would have to accept reality --- he would have to accept the idea of Constitutional monarchy like the British system or his head would be prepared for the national razor.

4. Ricardolindo Well-Known Member

Louis Philippe d'Orléans was known for his staunch support of the Revolution and for wanting an England-style constitutional monarchy. He even changed his name to Philippe Egalité.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    John Fredrick Parker likes this.
  5. isabella Well-Known Member

Well well a slightly better planned and executed flight to Varrennes can very well work...
    But you need either to divide the royal family in three coaches or at least have them not being late (and maybe not dressed in so blatant contrast to their coach, at least for the supposed Baroness and the alleged daughters)...

Philippe Egalitè as Costitutional King would be likely in his element and considering this plus his bad relationship with his kins is pretty unlikely who someone will accuse him to sell France to is enemies...
    If the costitutional monarchy stay in place with the new (and not recognized outside France) King and his children at the Tuileries is pretty unlikely who we will see the takeover of Robespierre and something like the Terror... Instead is more likely who France will shift earlier to something like the OTL Directorate

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  6. Corjomc Well-Known Member

Intersting if a certain Corsican general were to rise up during the conflicts at this time and become the great hero of France.

To keep him onside they marry him to Princess Adelaide.

7. isabella Well-Known Member

Well Napoleon can very well have his OTL career (at least until before the Campaign of Egypt). Saving France would surely give him a nobiliar title, riches, honour for himself and his family and a noble wife but not princess Adelaide (and I can not see them compatible in any way). The only Orléans-Bonaparte match I can see having a little chance to happen in a such scenario is one between OTL Louis Philip and Pauline Bonaparte, but that will be still pretty unlikely.
    If France can keep its constitutional monarchy for many years I can see very well a match between Napoleon’s daughter (who will have ancient noble blood from her mother side) and the son and heir of Louis Philip.

8. John Fredrick Parker Donor

How would France and Europe be different if they manage to specifically avoid the Reign of Terror?

Also, if I’m right about how a War with Austria would be altered - with Naples, Spain, and Portugal remaining neutral, and the Netherlands and Britain being slower to join - would you agree the conflict is likely shorter and more limited?

9. Derek Pullem Butterfly Killer Donor

So basically a James II / William & Mary situation without the religious aspect.

Well presumably if Louis XVI escapes to a friendly court (probably Austria) he will agitate to dethrone Phillipe. Almost certainly would see a Jacobite style return to France with Austrian support. And given OTL history he will almost certainly lose. The war will probably spin out of control and involve the Austrian Netherlands which will probably bring the UK in against France too (when has UK ever needed an excuse to intervene in Flanders!).

Assuming the French hold their own (likely with popular support and more of the army remaining to fight), it is likely that things will settle down after a few years. Wouldn't rule out a round 2 but same result is likely.

Providing Phillipe and Robespierre can keep the more extreme elements of the revolution under control then in the end the various monarchies in Europe are dealing with a situation they have seen before in the UK and will have to deal with again in OTL in 1830. I would bet on Phillipe keeping a lid on dissent for a while but can easily see a Napoleonic (III) style coup by Napoleon if he gets it wrong. However in this case you are looking at an English Civil War style scenario - if that drags out then intervention from rest of Europe is probable.