King George I of House Washington

Coronation
Coronation

619px-Rembrandt_Peale_-_%27Porthole%27_portrait_og_George_Washington%2C_1825-1860%2C_Cincinnati_Art_Museum.jpg

King George I

On April 30, 1789 the most important men of the newly formed United States of America were brought together for a great event: the crowning of its first king, George I of House Washington.

The new king still remembered May 22, 1782, when he received a letter from Colonel Lewis Nicola, urging Washington to become king, as it would be the only solution for the United States. And George Washington was convinced and piously believed the words of that letter.

And now, years later, with a war won and a constitution governing the new country, George Washington was being crowned. But he would not be a tyrannical king, he was determined to be a constitutional king, who would guide the country to its bright future.

In an emotional and patriotic speech, King George I addressed the politicians there. "Today a new nation begins!"

The government of this new nation would be divided between King George I and a Prime Minister chosen by Congress. The Congress would be formed by Representatives elected by popular vote. The third power would be a Supreme Court with judges appointed by the Prime Minister, but could be vetoed by the King. The King would have a veto power over all decisions of the Prime Minister and Congress and could dissolve Congress to solve crises

After the coronation of King George I, a great ball took place. Some who fought against the monarchy to live in a republic now felt at the heart of Europe, disillusioned with their new government. However, in these times Washington was too popular among the army, the people, and most politicians for anyone to openly oppose.