King Bill: The Third Term of William Jefferson Clinton

"King Bill"
The Third Term of William Jefferson Clinton

Corbis-JS006005.jpg

“Dwight Eisenhower once said that you could not get all you needed to get done in only one term. I agree. I also think that eight years is a tough limit for any President to leave office completely satisfied with their job performance, I feel like I’m letting the people down by giving up now. And so I have decided to seek a third term as President of the United States. I am confident that the 21st Century can be one of our greatest moments, if not the greatest, and I hope that with your help and your support we can make it happen. I won’t be satisfied until unemployment is under 3%. I won’t be satisfied until our nation’s debt has been completely erased. I am looking to you America, to not give up on tomorrow!” -- Excerpt from President Bill Clinton’s campaign announcement speech: January 11, 1999.

“I do not believe for one second that America needs a king. I am going to challenge President Clinton in the Democratic Primaries and I fully intend on winning.” --Excerpt from Senator Bill Bradley’s Press Conference: January 15, 1999.

Meet the Press: January 24, 1999
Tim Russert: It’s simply unprecedented. The last time we thought a candidate would make a bid for a third term had to have been Reagan, but with his age that was really out of the question. The only other one that could’ve made a bid for a third term was Eisenhower, right?

James Melbrook, Historian: Correct. And Eisenhower was a longshot too; I mean his health was deteriorating quickly. Now we have a young, vibrant, energetic, and immensely popular president. Republicans are going to have a very tough go-around.

Tim Russert: But won’t there be some Clinton fatigue?

James Melbrook: I doubt it, unemployment is low, the budget is balanced, and the Republicans are running around with their pants on fire. The GOP is damage control because they have a serious obstacle in front of them and they’re starting to realize that George Bush ain’t gonna do it against a serious guy like Bill Clinton. And are they really going to put up Elizabeth Dole? Her husband couldn’t beat Bill, but they think she can? Give me a break!

Tim Russert: McCain?

James Melbrook: Oh he’s unelectable for much of the Republican base. The Republicans need a game changer – they need to think out of the box on this one.

805686.jpg

Meet the Press: January 31, 1999
Christine Todd Whitman: The Republicans can’t win this election if we nominate another far-right loon, Tim, and that’s why I can’t just sit by and watch the destruction of our party! I’m going to run for President, Tim, because we need a real leader as our nominee if the Democrats are going to nominate Bill Clinton again.

Tim Russert: Isn’t the Republican Party too conservative for you?

Christine Todd Whitman: Not at all, Tim, not at all. The Republican Party believes in values and experience and that’s exactly what I present them. They want a leader and that’s what I’m offering.

Mississippi State House: February 5, 1999
“I have decided to run for President of the United States. I now understand the importance of defending the conservative dream and with Bill Clinton that has been threatened. I am asking for your support in preventing King Bill from rising to power yet again!” --Excerpt from Trent Lott’s Announcement Speech

Meet the Press: February 7, 1999
Tim Russert: The new polls for the Democratic Primary show President Clinton with 87% of the vote, Bill Bradley with 4%, and 9% undecided. The Republicans are completely different, however, and there is no clear frontrunner…

Republican Primary Poll, February 1999
George W. Bush: 18%
Christine Todd Whitman: 10%
John McCain: 9%
Elizabeth Dole: 9%
Trent Lott: 8%
Dan Quayle: 4%
Pat Buchanan: 4%
John Kasich: 3%
Steve Forbes: 3%
Gary Bauer: 2%
Herman Cain: 2%
Robert Smith: 2%
Lamar Alexander: 2%
Orrin Hatch: 1%
Alan Keyes: 1%
Undecided: 22%

Corbis-0000362020-001.jpg

“2000 was simply incredible. There were 15 candidates on the Republican Party that were polling nationally in February 1999. That’s when they held their first debate and all 15 were included. Soon the networks realized it was a waste of time as the frontrunners received barely any time to make their case. They demanded that a candidate poll above 5% to be included in the debates and the networks agreed. In March several of the fringe candidates left with Herman Cain, Robert Smith, John Kasich, and Gary Bauer backing out of the race. Furthermore the second debate was held in New Hampshire. It included Bush, Whitman, McCain, Dole, and Lott. Dole did surprisingly well while McCain fumbled. Whitman was smart though; she talked about her strong record as Governor and managed to steal moderate votes from McCain. Bush was Bush. He really did nothing impressive but he didn’t screw up either. The debate however would lead to much larger events down-the-line.” --Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

Republican Primary Poll, April 1999
George W. Bush: 24%
Christine Todd Whitman: 16%
Elizabeth Dole: 12%
John McCain: 9%
Trent Lott: 9%
Dan Quayle: 4%
Pat Buchanan: 4%
Steve Forbes: 3%
Lamar Alexander: 2%
Orrin Hatch: 2%
Alan Keyes: 1%
Undecided: 14%

“The Democrats weren’t worried at all about 2000. They knew Clinton had it in the bag, but the problem was Gore. He was deeply upset about Clinton stealing his chance to move forward personally and it really pissed him off. We had to keep reminding him to keep his head in the game and for the party, but by April it was becoming very hard to do and he asked to be taken off the ticket, we couldn’t tell what he wanted to do, but it appeared like he wanted to run a third-party candidacy. We couldn’t afford that. Clinton struck a deal that he wouldn’t run for a fourth term if Gore stayed on the ticket. It was like putting a band-aid on a broken leg.” --Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

Republican Party Primary Debate: April 9, 1999
Trent Lott: America needs a consistent conservative. In the United States Senate I’ve worked time and time again to return America to our conservative principles. Hell if it weren’t for Newt Gingrich and me we might not have such a Republican congress!

Bob Schieffer: Mrs. Dole, the same question goes to you: what kind of President does America need?

Elizabeth Dole: Well I’ll tell ya right now, Bob, we don’t need another career politician. Americans are tired of electing the same old Washington elite. I’m an outsider who’s worked in the real world. I served as President of the American Red Cross, but I’ve also worked in five White House Administrations. Christine, George, and I are the only ones that haven’t been tainted by the present shenanigans in Washington, but Christine and George have never been to Washington to know how a real White House should be run. We need experience, Bob.

Bob Schieffer: Governor Whitman, what’s the biggest difference between you and your opponents?

Christine Todd Whitman: Well for starters I don’t have a relative who lost to Bill Clinton before. Elizabeth Dole and George Bush were both related to and directly involved in the campaigns against Bill Clinton before and look how those turned out. But in all seriousness, I’m the person on this stage with true executive experience. I’ve gotten things done in a liberal state and I’m proud of my strong record of accomplishments.

“Don’t stop thinking about tomorrow, America! There’s too much at stake, we can’t stop now! Let’s be honest. What’s going to happen if we give the Republicans four years in the White House? We’re going to see them reverse this balanced budget, we’re going to see them raise taxes on the middle class so they can give their buddies in the upper class the tax breaks, and they’re going to ignore education. Ladies and Gentlemen: give me a third term and we’re going to fix education…that’s final!” --Excerpt from Bill Clinton’s stump speech in Florida: April 19, 1999

Last edited:
oooh, dueling Clinton 3rd Term TLs. ;)

For sake of purity, I won't read yours so that we don't 'share' ideas. I already have an idea of where I'm heading, tho.

Good luck.

I think if there was no 22nd Amendment, Bill Clinton would probably be the first president to run for a third term. I know Nancy Reagan would veto another four years for her husband. I also think it is likely that Ike's doctors would advise against another four years in the White House.

I think if there was no 22nd Amendment, Bill Clinton would probably be the first president to run for a third term. I know Nancy Reagan would veto another four years for her husband. I also think it is likely that Ike's doctors would advise against another four years in the White House.

correct. that's why i included that little bit from meet the press.

Not being American I have to ask why there is this amendment, the last person to serve three consecutive terms was one of the most popular you guys ever had?

It was passed because Americans fear anyone being in such a high position for too long. There's a lot of serious talk about term limits for senators and representatives too even though they are just one among a hundred or hundreds in the latter case. The President is singular though and people are afraid of anyone becoming entrenched.

This fictional Clinton is right, it's difficult to really accomplish what you want to in one term and hard to finish anything even in 2, but the American government was very much created as a body capable of doing only the most important things. Americans throughout history have generally wanted the government to be as hands off as possible except in situations where citizens couldn't accomplish something on their own, for example in foreign policy.

Not being American I have to ask why there is this amendment, the last person to serve three consecutive terms was one of the most popular you guys ever had?

Republicans were big behind this after Roosevelt...and have been the ones most limited by it too. Eisenhower, Regan and Bush II all couldn't run for a third term due to the Amendment they helped to push through. Clinton is the only Democrat affected by 22nd amendment. The Republicans since Regan have been the bigger pusher for repeal of the Amendment, too. Democrats did the same during Clinton's presidency and might start again next year, depending upon the results of this year's elections.

Torqumada

The problem is that if the PoD is no 22nd, then butterflies basically ensure that Clinton is never elected in the first place.

In fact, to get the 22nd NOT being ratified or even presented, you'd have to push the PoD even further back, and Bill might never have been born.

Hyperion

Banned
yea, I don't know why it was passed TBH

Part tradition. George Washington only served two terms, and a lot of other Presidents after him and before FDR, ie Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, and several others, only ran for two terms themselves before leaving office.

Part that they didn't want to get someone, even a good candidate, into office so long that the person became a permanent fixture. A younger or more middle ages person like Truman, Kennedy, Carter, or Ford might not be so bad. Someone older, like Eisenhower, Reagan, or even Bush Sr, running a third term or even longer, you have the very real chance that they would die in office from old age.

Nowdays if you want a POTUS to serve more than the two terms, your best bet would be having a POTUS die in office with two or less years in his/her term, the VP taking over, and then successfully running for two terms him/herself.

yea, I don't know why it was passed TBH
Because the Republicans controlled Congress after 1946 and were afraid that New Dealers would dominate the Presidency for the rest of the century.

Personally, I think the first significant divergence from the 22nd Amendment would be a bigger victory for Kennedy and impeachment for Reagan and Bush over Iran-Contra.

Nowdays if you want a POTUS to serve more than the two terms, your best bet would be having a POTUS die in office with two or less years in his/her term, the VP taking over, and then successfully running for two terms him/herself.
Yeah. But if you want the maximum length, then have the POTUS die quickly after he is sworn in, and the VP becomes President, then runs for two terms of his own. Thats 11 years, one less then FDR.

Yeah. But if you want the maximum length, then have the POTUS die quickly after he is sworn in, and the VP becomes President, then runs for two terms of his own. Thats 11 years, one less then FDR.

that's illegal. the vp can only have two terms of his own if he serves less than half of the first term for his predecessor.

3rd term? I always wonder why Presidents even want a second term. Look at what happened to Nixon (Watergate), Reagan (Iran/Contra), Clinton (Monica), and Bush 2 (dissatisfaction over two wars) in their second terms...

The problem is that if the PoD is no 22nd, then butterflies basically ensure that Clinton is never elected in the first place.

In fact, to get the 22nd NOT being ratified or even presented, you'd have to push the PoD even further back, and Bill might never have been born.

I don't think Clinton was born because his parents were celebrating the 22nd Amendment being passed. There are no Presidents that would've been able to seek a third term.

Truman - didn't run...could've
Eisenhower - health
Kennedy - died in office
LBJ - didn't run...could've
Nixon - resigned
Ford - defeated
Carter - defeated
Reagan - too old
Bush - defeated