Whe should Arthur marry?

• Eleanor of Austria (b. 1498)

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Isabel of Austria (b. 1501)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Isabel of Portugual (b. 1503)

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Other (please write in who and I'll add)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Beatrice of Portugal (1504)

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tragedy rocked the English court when Prince Arthur of Wales died on April 2 1502. But his death was softened slightly by the Princess of Wales, Katherine of Aragon, being with child. Queen Elizabeth of York raced to her daughter-in-law's side, resolving to help the younger woman through this troubled times. [1] While his wife tended their daughter-in-law and unborn grandchild, King Henry handled the preparations for his eldest son's funeral. This took its toll and Henry was soon bedridden, forcing his mother to be regent for him.

To the most foolish child,

My dearest Bess, I deal with prattling blowhards on a daily basis who seem to think they know more than me just because of my sex, I beg of you not to add to their inane chatter. My son is not dying and you are not failing in your duty as his wife by not racing to his side. The Princess Katherine and her son's health are of the upmost importance. His Highness has agreed that you were needed in Ludlow. He has ordered it and you must obey him.

Sweet girl, my Henry is strong, he has always been. He shall recover, I know he will. Please do not stress yourself by thinking such unpleasant thoughts. Stay with the Princess Katherine, do what you can to keep her calm and in high spirits. She carries the hope of England in her womb.

I shall write more tomorrow, but I have another council meeting which I am looking oh so forward to. Afterwards, I suspect I will have too big of a headache to continue writing. Pray for me, dearest Bess, for I will need all the strength the Lord has to offer.

Sincerely, Margaret R [2]

Despite the encouraging words of Margaret Beaufort, it was clear that the king was weakening and that England was on the cusp of a succession crisis. Those who supported the de la Poles were seeing it as justice for the Tudors only had a eleven-year-old boy as a male heir. Speaking of the Duke of York, he was kept under close guard with his grandmother seeing to it that his education was more rigorous and began searching for a bride for him.

All plans would come to a grinding stop when on July 24, 1502, the Princess Katherine would birth a baby boy in the Welsh Marshes. He was named Arthur and he was christened in a small but lavish ceremony (Archbishop Warham of Canterbury had traveled to Ludlow specifically for this occasion as did several members of the English court). His godparents was the King of Scots, his Aunt Margaret, and his maternal grandparents.

Elizabeth, Princess Katherine, and their entourage left Ludlow it was clear that both mother and child were healthy enough to make the trip back to London. They were greeted by cheering crowds. In August, little Prince Arthur was presented to the court. It was confirmed by several witnesses that when he was put in his great-grandmother's arms, she was visibly fighting back tears.

Untitled-35.jpg

Meanwhile Queen Elizabeth went straight for her husband's chambers, refusing to leave his side so she could nurse the man she loved back to health. His wife's tender care and the joy of knowing that a piece of his son now lived inside the hallowed halls of the Palace of Placentia seemed to reinvigorate him. By mid-August, he reappeared to take the reigns of rulership from his mother.

King Henry went straight to work, consolidating his realm, preparing for the eventual ascension of his grandson. He arranged a regency council, investing his mother, his wife and his former daughter-in-law as co-regents, his reasoning being that they would always work in the interest of Prince Arthur and would maintain a balance of power. He negotiated with King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel for the rest of Katherine's dowry, arguing that while she would not be queen, she would still have a high place of power as regent and the king's mother. As he quarreled with Spain, he arranged the marriage between Anne de La Tour d'Auvergne [3] and his young son Prince Henry. He also confirmed the upcoming nuptials between King James of Scots and Princess Margaret.

By Christmastide 1502, everything seemed to be settled, Prince Arthur was hale and healthy, Prince Henry was engaged, Princess Margaret was set for a queendom, and the King of England seemed in good health.

And yet, by the next spring, the Time of the Ladies would begin.

1. Elizabeth left before Henry had a chance to impregnate her, meaning no 1503 birth that would subsequently killed her.

2. Despite the R usually being for ruling queens, our dear Margaret would use it as her signature.

3. Anne de La Tour d'Auvergne was the heiress of John III, Count of Auvergne Count of Boulogne, Count de Lauraguais. In 1505, she married the Duke of Albany so Henry get to her just in time.

Last edited:
Tragedy rocks the English court when Prince Arthur of Wales dies on April 2 1502. But his death is softened slightly by the Princess of Wales, Katherine of Aragon, being with child. Queen Elizabeth of York races to her daughter-in-law's side, resolving to help the younger woman through this troubled times. [1] While his wife tends to their daughter-in-law and unborn grandchild, King Henry handles the preparations for his eldest son's funeral. This takes it's toll and Henry is soon bedridden, forcing his mother to be regent for him.

To the most foolish child,

My dearest Bess, I deal with prattling blowhards on a daily basis who seem to think they know more than me just because of my sex, I beg of you not to add to their inane chatter. My son is not dying and you are not failing in your duty as his wife by not racing to his side. The Princess Katherine and her son's health are of the upmost importance. His Highness has agreed that you were needed in Ludlow. He has ordered it and you must obey him.

Sweet girl, my Henry is strong, he has always been. He shall recover, I know he will. Please do not stress yourself by thinking such unpleasant thoughts. Stay with the Princess Katherine, do what you can to keep her calm and in high spirits. She carried the hope of England in her womb.

I shall write more tomorrow but I have another council meeting which I am looking oh so forward to. Afterwards, I suspect I will have too big a headache. Pray for me, dearest Bess, for I will need all the strength the Lord has to offer.

Sincerely, Margaret R [2]

Despite the encouraging words of Margaret Beaufort, it was clear that the king was weakening and that England was on the cusp of a succession crisis. Those who supported the de la Poles were seeing it as justice for the Tudors only had a eleven-year-old boy as a male heir. Speaking of the Duke of York, he was kept under close guard with his grandmother seeing to it that his education was more rigorous and began searching for a bride for him.

All plans would come to a grinding stop when on July 24, 1502, the Princes Katherine would birth a baby boy in the Welsh Marshes. [5] He was named Arthur and he was christened in a small but lavish ceremony (Archbishop Warham of Canterbury had traveled to Ludlow specifically for this occasion as did several members of the English court). His godparents was the King of Scots, his Aunt Margaret, and his maternal grandparents.

Elizabeth, Princess Katherine, and their entourage left Ludlow it was clear that both mother and child were healthy enough to make the trip back to London. They were greeted by cheering crowds. In August, little Prince Arthur was presented to the court. It is claimed that when he was put in his great-grandmother's arms, she had to fight back tears.

Untitled-35.jpg

Meanwhile Queen Elizabeth went straight for her husband's chambers, refusing to leave his side so she could nurse the man she loved back to health. His wife's tender care and the joy of knowing that a piece of his son now lived inside the hallowed halls of the Palace of Placentia. By mid-August, he reappeared to take the reigns of rulership from his mother.

King Henry went straight to work, consolidating his realm, preparing for the eventual ascension of his grandson. He arranged a regency council, investing his mother, his wife and his former daughter-in-law as co-regents, his reasoning being that they would always work in the interest of Prince Arthur and would maintain a balance of power. He negotiated with King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel for the rest of Katherine's dowry, arguing that while she would not be queen, she would still have a high place of power as regent and the king's mother. As he quarreled with Spain, he arranged the marriage between Anne de La Tour d'Auvergne [3] and his young son Prince Henry. He also confirmed the marriage between King James of Scots and Princess Margaret.

By Christmastide 1502, everything seemed to be settled, Prince Arthur was hale and healthy, Prince Henry was engaged, Princess Margaret was set for a queendom, and the King of England seemed in good health.

And yet, by the next spring, the Time of the Ladies would begin.

1. Elizabeth left before Henry had a chance to impregnate her, meaning no 1503 birth that would subsequently killed her.

2. Despite the R usually being for ruling queens, our dear Margaret would use it as her signature.

3. Anne de La Tour d'Auvergne was the heiress of John III, Count of Auvergne Count of Boulogne, Count de Lauraguais. In 1505, she married the Duke of Albany so Henry get to her just in time.
Great idea..... We really need some tudors writing which do no have Mary as the main character

The regancy could last 14 to 18 years then you also have a grown up Duke of York will be wonting to be part of the government being the only grown man in the royal family.

You could even have echoes of Richard 3rd Duke of York.

The regancy could last 14 to 18 years then you also have a grown up Duke of York will be wonting to be part of the government being the only grown man in the royal family.

Uh, the Duke of York is just barely eleven when his nephew is born. And he's probably going into the clergy as a scholar priest/cardinal/archbishop - or, hell, even the papacy...

Uh, the Duke of York is just barely eleven when his nephew is born. And he's probably going into the clergy as a scholar priest/cardinal/archbishop - or, hell, even the papacy...
No real look at all the Princes of England non of them went into the faith

Also Henry is the only other male Tudor alive and Arthur could die at any time it would be very silly having him because a priest.

In 10 years Henry will be 21 years old and Arthur will still be in his regency as the only male relative and a Royal Prince Henry has the right to be part of the government

The regancy could always send Henry to fight on the continent if there is war with France

No way who Henry will go in the church. That was NOT the plan for him when Arthur was alive and would surely NOT be his destiny when there is only a baby between him and the Crown…
Said that @Violet Rose Lily had forgotten who England traditionally put the regency for an underage King in the hands of the mother of said King, specially if she is a foreigner, so Katherine will NOT be regent for her son

Yes! I cannot wait for your spin on this
Thank you.
Great idea..... We really need some tudors writing which do no have Mary as the main character
Thank you.

Henry will be wanting to be part of the goverment sooner rather than later.
As others have said there is no historical proof that was a thing. Secondly, he is baby Arthur's heir. As not all babies lived past a year, it is imperative that Henry marries and has children of his own.
No real look at all the Princes of England non of them went into the faith

Also Henry is the only other male Tudor alive and Arthur could die at any time it would be very silly having him because a priest.

In 10 years Henry will be 21 years old and Arthur will still be in his regency as the only male relative and a Royal Prince Henry has the right to be part of the government

The regancy could always send Henry to fight on the continent if there is war with France
This is very true.
Doubt it. Henry needs to marry and produce children in case something happens to young Arthur
Exactly my thoughts.
No way who Henry will go in the church. That was NOT the plan for him when Arthur was alive and would surely NOT be his destiny when there is only a baby between him and the Crown…
Said that @Violet Rose Lily had forgotten who England traditionally put the regency for an underage King in the hands of the mother of said King, specially if she is a foreigner, so Katherine will NOT be regent for her son
Katherine is co-regents with Margaret and Elizabeth. This both because is the king's mother and to stop her from being returned to Spain with the rest of her dowry. If that is still unacceptable, I can just have Margaret and Elizabeth be regents.

Wasn't Henry destined for the Church or does the concerns about the health of the infant Arthur put those on ice as well?
A lot of people belive that but I haven't seen any official sources that say so. Either way, they have no idea if baby Arthur will live to late childhood, let alone adulthood so they aren't going to take chances and send the half grown prince who is the only other male Tudor to church.

Wasn't Henry destined for the Church or does the concerns about the health of the infant Arthur put those on ice as well?
He wasn't. And even if he was, the story mentions that he's engaged to Anne de la Tour. Henry VII wouldn't arrange a match for his son if he was planning on sending him to the Church.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Henry will be wanting to be part of the goverment sooner rather than later.

As others have said there is no historical proof that was a thing. Secondly, he is baby Arthur's heir. As not all babies lived past a year, it is imperative that Henry marries and has children of his own.

This is very true.

Exactly my thoughts.

Katherine is co-regents with Margaret and Elizabeth. This both because is the king's mother and to stop her from being returned to Spain with the rest of her dowry. If that is still unacceptable, I can just have Margaret and Elizabeth be regents.
If Margaret is the main regent and Elizabeth and Katherine in the council can work… And once Katherine was married, specially with a son, Spain needed to finish to pay her dowry as Katherine would receive her allowance from England as Dowager Princess of Wales

I am glad you liked it. And yes, Henry will be marrying Anne de la Tour.
Are you thinking conflict with Scotland if a Prince of England is Duke of York and will be having lands in Scotland as well.

With Henry as Duke of York was over lands does he have are we talking about a good chunk of the yorkist inheritance?

What are you thinking in regards to the Hasburgs, Valos and Tudors in reality it was the France and Hasburgs wars that dominate the next 3 centuries.

Are you thinking conflict with Scotland if a Prince of England is Duke of York and will be having lands in Scotland as well.

With Henry as Duke of York was over lands does he have are we talking about a good chunk of the yorkist inheritance?

What are you thinking in regards to the Hasburgs, Valos and Tudors in reality it was the France and Hasburgs wars that dominate the next 3 centuries.
Anne de la Tour is a FRENCH heiress NOT a Scottish one. She has exactly ZERO lands in Scotland