Goldsboro

Title Card
Not you again, don't you already have a timeline?

Hiatus.

Will this one die too?

Probably.

Can we at least expect regular updates on this thing?

No.

So when does this thing end?

When I run out of ideas, or when people start to hate it. It could end at any time really.

No stopping you then?

Nope.

Then get on with it.

Woo!​

Last edited:
Introduction
Introduction

Not since the inauguration of President Abraham Lincoln, exactly a century prior, had an oath of office been taken under such inauspicious circumstances. On January 19, 1961 a United States Air Force B-52 bomber crash landed in Goldsboro, North Carolina, detonating its nuclear payload on impact. Roughly 16,000 perished in the resulting explosion as the south-southwesterly winds of an approaching blizzard dumped the fallout onto Washington D.C. Visitors and dignitaries attending the inaugural ceremony of John F. Kennedy quickly turned to panic, believing that the detonation of a nuclear device on United States soil could only mean the opening salvo of World War III. The Goldsboro Disaster remains the only occasion in which the United States raised its readiness level to DEFCON 1.

For the only confirmed time in U.S. history, B-52 bombers were dispersed to various military and civilian airfields, made ready to take off, fully equipped, on 15 minutes' notice. The irony of launching additional B-52 bombers as a response to a catastrophic malfunctioning of the same model has not been lost in hindsight, indeed it has become a rallying cry for those opposed to the "military-industrial complex" spoken of so prophetically in President Eisenhower's farewell address.

After frantic calls between the White House and Kremlin saw cooler heads prevail and a nuclear apocalypse averted, the United States government was at last able to take a deep breath and come to terms with the fact that they had accidentally nuked their own country. President Kennedy was reluctant to take drastic action to combat the situation, fearing the inflammation of public paranoia, but the overwhelming panic forced his hand. Martial law was declared in the District of Columbia. Wayne County, home of the irradiated crater of Goldsboro, was evacuated.

Contrary to popular belief, Kennedy enjoyed his highest approval ratings in the aftermath of Goldsboro. It was toxic combination of limited knowledge of nuclear fallout and governmental inexperience in dealing with a disaster of such magnitude that ultimately sealed the fate of the administration. The United States had a history of being woefully inept in handling nuclear catastrophes, the nuclear debacle on Bikini atoll being the most prominent pre-Goldsboro example.

Bikini was used as a testing ground for experimental nuclear weapons. Despite a promise to the inhabitants of the atoll that they would be allowed to return once the testing was concluded, the detonations contaminated the soil and water, made subsistence farming and fishing highly dangerous, and ultimately eliminated any possibility of future habitation. Despite another promise to "protect the inhabitants" the residents of Bikini Atoll were left alone in the aftermath and were later found "literally starving to death" by researchers who happened upon them. In light of these events, it is unsurprising that the handling of the Goldsboro Disaster was less than perfect.

Although the residents of North Carolina were treated with far more humanity than the inhabitants of Bikini, Women who returned to Wayne county experienced miscarriages, stillbirths, and genetic abnormalities in their children. Children as young as eleven died of cancer that was linked to radiation exposure. Declassified records reveal that the government understated the risk of return and the inhabitants had to be evacuated a second time as a consequence. It was under these circumstances that President Kennedy sought his re-election.

Michigan Senator George Romney prevailed in the Republican primaries after New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller and Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater flamed out due to a scandalous divorce and scandalous comments about the supposed necessity of nuclear weapons respectively. Senator Romney selected Kentucky Senator Thurston Morton as his running mate in a bid to bring regional diversity to the ticket and to capitalize on Kennedy's unpopular decision to replace Vice President Lyndon Johnson with North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford. Popularity spikes associated with half-baked assassination attempts on the president notwithstanding, Kennedy/Sanford consistently trailed in the polls.

Going into the final weeks, forecasts showed the Republican ticket ahead of President Kennedy with enough wiggle room to prevent Lister Hill's third-party candidacy from spoiling the election. Former Senator Hill embraced Strom Thurmond's States' Rights brand in an effort to whip up popular anger over the supposed mistreatment of southerners afflicted by the Goldsboro fallout. Kennedy, knowing he needed the Solid South to propel him to victory as it did in 1960, was forced to spend an inordinate amount of time beating back's Hill's candidacy while Romney crisscrossed the Northeast. The reasons for Kennedy's defeat are manifold. That being said, the results speak for themselves...

2kx62AC.png

Last edited:

Archibald

Banned
Ok let the madness begin !
As an aviation buff I've been interested about that disaster for some time (and the equally major clusterfucks that followed in Thulé, Greenland and Palomares, Spain some years later).
There had been alot of Goldsboro threads on this board but never a true TL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
I like the way you moved it a little earlier just to play havoc with the inauguration. I went to google maps and checked the distance between Goldsboro and Washington DC. Less than 300 miles, with a little help from a blizzard, with the freakkin' B-52 crashing TWO H-bombs. Dear God.
Did the two nukes exploded or just a single one ? :frown:

Wow I've never even heard of this.

What happened in Cuba? Did the Soviet Union, send nuclear weapons or did Castro just laugh himself to death stating that the yanks were doing a better job of nuking themselves lol.

Made me think of George W. Bush's quote and hope Kennedy didn't do it too -
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people - and neither do we."

Interesting, interesting, will follow. The 50-state-and-DC sweep I'm not sure if I can quite swallow, but then again a flub of this magnitude is a pretty big deal...

Also, I can't help but wonder how George and Mitt Romney just look so much alike.

The 50-state-and-DC sweep I'm not sure if I can quite swallow, but then again a flub of this magnitude is a pretty big deal...

I was looking at Eisenhower vs. Stevenson numbers since that's the most comparable match IOTL in terms of the scale of the landslide. The following are the southern states that never went GOP for Eisenhower in 1952 or 1956. Here are the margins.

South Carolina (1952) = 49%-51%
North Carolina (1956) = 49%-51%

These two could easily go to Romney.

Arkansas (1956) = 45%-53%
Mississippi (1952) = 40%-60%
Alabama (1956) = 39%-57%
Georgia (1956) = 33%-67%

To flip these states, States' Rights needs to sap away,

9% in Arkansas
21% in Mississippi
19% in Alabama
24% in Georgia

To put these numbers in perspective, Unpledged Electors (States' Rights) got 17% of the vote in Mississippi in 1956 IOTL. Could Hill do enough damage to cost Kennedy these four states? Maybe. I tend to think so anyway.

I was looking at Eisenhower vs. Stevenson numbers since that's the most comparable match IOTL in terms of the scale of the landslide. The following are the southern states that never went GOP for Eisenhower in 1952 or 1956. Here are the margins.

South Carolina (1952) = 49%-51%
North Carolina (1956) = 49%-51%

These two could easily go to Romney.

Arkansas (1956) = 45%-53%
Mississippi (1952) = 40%-60%
Alabama (1956) = 39%-57%
Georgia (1956) = 33%-67%

To flip these states, States' Rights needs to sap away,

9% in Arkansas
21% in Mississippi
19% in Alabama
24% in Georgia

To put these numbers in perspective, Unpledged Electors (States' Rights) got 17% of the vote in Mississippi in 1956 IOTL. Could Hill do enough damage to cost Kennedy these four states? Maybe. I tend to think so anyway.

I find it funny that the map was nearly something like 1980 Carter+1/2% (ie Democrats do well in the South, but virtually nowhere else!) :p

You know i still haven't accepted the fact that George Romney is the father of Mitt Romney. And how did the Deep South vote for a Mormon?

On the Campaign Trail '68
On the Campaign Trail '68

President Romney inherited quite a mess from his predecessor to say the least. The first order of business was the federalization of an area extending twenty miles from the Goldsboro blast zone coupled an indefinite closure of that area to the public. While a logistical nightmare, the zone proved a wise course of action. Even today radiation levels prevent radiation maintenance employees from working more than 5 hours a day each month without at least 15 days of rest to detoxify themselves. One estimation suggests that the blast area will not be safe for permanent human habitation for 20,000 years at least.

Not one to allow the radioactive gloom to dampen his first 100 days in office, President Romney immediately set about implementing initiatives that had stalled during the preceding administration. Though civil rights legislation was initially unpopular among the southern republicans elected in the GOP waves of 62' and 64', enough were persuaded by the necessity of adding newly enfranchised blacks to their base of supporters. It was reasoned that southern blacks would cleave to the party of emancipation and desegregation if granted their voting rights by the GOP, sustaining and re-electing those same southern republicans as the "Kennedy Curse" faded away.

George Romney had been scorned by conservatives as a 'reluctant' Republican, someone who agreed with the other side too often to be considered a 'true' partisan. And in many ways the new president was indeed a walking contradiction. Born in Mexico to Mormon settler parents, a hardscrabble upbringing turned to fortune as George Romney went on to become the wildly successful Chairman of American Motors. Despite attaining high priesthood in a church that barred black clergy, Governor Romney personally marched for civil rights on the weekends. When the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles decried his civil rights bill as 'vicious legislation' and a 'curse on the Negro' the president professed "our most urgent human rights problem [to be] racial discrimination." and that the "rights of some must not be enjoyed by denying the rights of others". Aided by the massive congressional gains of the 1964 elections, Romney signed the Civil Rights Act of 1965 and Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law while seeing through the ratification of the 24th Amendment which ended poll taxes in the south.

Romney's civil rights push was followed by a bone to his base in the form of tax reform. The top income tax rate was lowered from 91% to 65% while bottom rate fell from 20% to 14%. The corporate tax rate dropped from 52% to 47% while all told the cuts added up to a whopping $13.5 billion. Although the slashes were more modest than expected, fiscal conservatives were forced into acquiescence by the gaping $20 billion hole left in the deficit by the Goldburo Disaster. Historians debate whether these cuts aided or hindered the continued postwar economic expansion. But expand the economy did, and with it the president's popularity.

In 1956 Democratic frontrunner Scoop Jackson attacked Romney for 'fecklessness' abroad, characterized his tax cuts as a 'bonanza' for the rich, and constantly hammered the unpopular school busing program used to enforce desegregation in the south. Initially considered a strong challenger to the president due to his solid record on civil rights and opposition to a pullout from Vietnam, Scoop paid far more attention a potential southern bolt than to the liberals within his own base. Though southerners were placated by the selection of Tennessee Senator Albert Gore, an opponent of integration, as Jackson's running mate, younger members were in an uproar.

Eugene McCarthy, Jackson's chief rival in the primaries, launched a third party bid with Senator Wayne Morse of Oregon as his running mate and successfully tapped into the perception that the Democratic Party had been hijacked by interventionists and segregationists. The McCarthy/Morse ticket lambasted Scoop as a "whore for Boeing" and painted the Washingtonian as a stooge for the military industrial complex. Jackson was further embarrassed by his outspoken support for the Japanese internment camp program during World War II, having been a staunch proponent for the campaign to keep Japanese-Americans from returning to the Pacific Coast after the war as well. As Jackson and McCathy traded blows, Romney presided over a rose garden strategy. When election day came and went, it was clear that the people had "reluctantly" voted for another Romney Revolution...

37PKHvM.png

Last edited: