Kicked to the Curb: Liberia

The year: 1942. Monrovia, Liberia

William Tubman was walking in downtown Monrovia, sipping on his drink. He gazed at a new home being furnished and smiled. Tubman began to think about lunch.

"Maybe I should go eat with Antoinette." he thought aloud. Continuing sipping on his tea, he crossed the street. In the peripheral of his vision, he saw a speeding car. One of the last things he would see. Thrown against the pavement, neck cracked, and bleeding from every open pore on his face, William V.S. Tubman would soon be no more.

"I mourn the loss of Senator Will Tubman. His steadfast attitude and intelligence on the Senate floor showed what Liberia was capable of. God bless." -Edwin J. Barclay, April 28th, 1942

Liberia in the year 2012 has been prospering due to the investment of the United States of America. How did this path from a moderately backwards African nation to one of the few "true democracies" in Africa begin? Let us find out.

Tell me what you think of a Liberia time line!

Now while I am genuinely excited at the prospect of a Liberia timeline, what is the POD and will the updates be longer in the future?

Extremely short intro, to garner interest, the POD is April 1942, when William Tubman who would have been President of Liberia is hit by a car.

Monrovia, Liberia
Clarence Simpson, the President's Secretary of State looked shocked. His Boss' frequent complaints about stress signaled that he would resign soon. Then it hit him. Tubman was his only opposition to his grand scheme for President. Mr. Simpson was already preparing for a presidential run. Mr. Simpson looked up at his attendant
"...Well, if you could see to it that I could get a list of recent things happening in the world, that would be great."

"Alright Mr. Secretary." replied the attendant, before leaving his quarters. The Secretary leaned back, taking in the rapidly cooling Liberian air. He needed to contact President Barclay about the US interests in the region. With the loss of the Dutch East Indies, Liberia was becoming a good source of rubber. The Secretary thought. The Attendant lie a folder on his desk and left the room.

"Let's see if I can convince 'arclay to get the US to build a military base here, make up some scare stories about a U-Boat sinking a freighter. Maybe false flag...? I doubt the big man would ever go for that." said the Secretary scribbling down the note "false flag". He stirred his coca-cola intently. Pausing, then picking up the phone. He dialed the direct line.

"This is Barclay speaking, how may I be of assistance." said the scratchy voice on the other end.

"Mr. President, I know you have been looking for a way of "improving" the Liberian economy. Would it be alright if I came to your office and had a chat about it?" replied the Sec. of State

"Yes Secretary, that sounds good. I fail to see why the Secretary of State would have these ideas...come down in two hours."

"Yes Mr. President!" the ecstatic Secretary shouted, leaning back as he opened up a file. "GERMANY". The Secretary began reading through the file. Nothing much had been happening with Germany, but thankfully (for Liberia that is) no invasion of Europe has occured yet. The Secretary continued to read, before heading off to the Senate chambers where he could meet the President in private.

"Mr. President, I have some great new economic ideas that may interest you. I compiled a file and it looks quite nice, if I dare say." said the Secretary.

"Hmmm, what is this file folder called Germany?" replied the President, his curiosity piqued.

"Well you see, with the war on, Liberia could make themselves seem like a very valuable ally. Lose a few troops here and there, have some heroic men die and live. The U.S. will take notice soon.

"Wait wait wait. Mr. Secretary, are you suggesting we sacrafice troops? Most of the doctors in this country are German, and they have a large trading business here!" said the President, staring down the secretary.

"Well sir...yes."

"I do understand your point but no. What are your other options?"

"Well you see, I'm thinking we stage a false flag attack on a small civilian ship. No need for passengers. We can say that 75 party goers were killed when their ship was torpedoed. Great way to drum up sympathy also. Aside from that, we are now the last rubber the Westerners have. We can do a little extorition here and there, maybe drop prices if they build an airbase or naval base. Sound good?" the Secretary said. The Secretary calmly wrote down the ideas.

"Mr. Simpson. I will not stand for any policies what would Mr. Tu-" the President froze.

"Disregard that thought. I'm not sure what I can say Secretary. I'm not to fond of sending our troops to die. However, the ship thing I might agree on. Did you think of that idea?" said the President, nervously thinking about what the Secretary may be up to.

"Well Mr. President, I've seen it batted around before."

"Well, OK Secretary. I'm suprised by your sudden excitement. This is quite odd. Usually I would consider you more reserved." the president

"Heh! Well Mr. President, thank you for letting me discuss this with you. Good day sir!" said the Secretary, turning around with a large, sly smile stretching from ear to ear. He hoped the old man would just retire and let him take his job. He retired to his quarters, gently lying down next to his wife, smirking. His plan of exalting Liberia was in the embryo.