Keynes' Cruisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that ITTL, Doolittle isn't going to get anywhere the same level of fame and attention as he got in OTL. He was only a Lieutenant Colonel during the raid on Japan, and got promoted to Brigadier General, bypassing the rank of Colonel. I just don't see that happening. Nor will this raid probably justify him being awarded his Medal of Honor from OTL. He could still have a successful career, but still not to the level of OTL.
Jimmy Doolittle was pretty famous outside of the military. Read up on him

April 18, 1942 Kedah Malaya

A machine gun stuttered. Half a dozen men scrambled across the alley as the rest of the platoon fired their rifles in the general direction of a Japanese hard point. One man would later discover he was lightly wounded as a ricochet knocked a stone free that gashed a three inch long and a quarter inch deep slash on his tricep. Smoke grenades and machine gun fire covered the rest of the section’s rush across the alley. The men rested against the building walls, even as an enterprising soul with the right priorities in life began a quick tea. The havildar allowed his men to rest undercover as the rest of the company would not be in position for suppressive fire for another fifteen minutes. As the thirteen men enjoyed their tea, the final plans for the assault into the house were reviewed one last time. Satchel charge to blow a hole in the wall, grenades to clear the entry point and then khukris and submachine guns to seize the machine gun nest. They had learned that rifles were too long and too cumbersome for this type of fighting, it was a fight where one often could smell the last meal of their dying opponent on his breath.

A large satchel charge was prepared and the fuse lit. The wall crumbled in a flash and a trio of Japanese booby traps wired to the door went off. Grenades on short fuzes were thrown in and then as they spread their shrapnel throughout the room, half a dozen men, four wielding curved knives and two with submachine guns stormed. The submachine gunners fired staccato bursts as the knife fighters slashed and hacked and parried Japanese soldiers thrusting shovels and swords.

Within minutes, the machine gun nest had been taken. Two Ghurkas needed to be taken to the rear. One had been stabbed through the shoulder and thigh while another man was hit by a pair of pistol rounds, one in his jaw and the other in his calf. The Japanese light machine gun was turned around and it soon started to spray suppressive fire further north as other platoons and companies continued to clear the city house by house and block by block.

‘Aayo Gorkhali’

Veterans: Survivors who have learned not to use doors and windows when conducting FISH and instead to make their own!

Commonwealth Veterans: as above but always make time for a cuppa!

Ah the famous Gurkhas....

They are famous for being one man armies....
Dipprasad_Pun_CGC.jpg

For example:

Another one would be Gurkha Bishnu Shrestha, who just with his kukuri, fought off 40 robbers on a train, killing 3, injuring 8 and causing the rest to flee.
Little brown supermen. Remember the first time I ever heard about Gurkhas and their exploits...thought, "They have to be making this shit up!"...they weren't. Utterly amazing!

Little brown supermen. Remember the first time I ever heard about Gurkhas and their exploits...thought, "They have to be making this shit up!"...they weren't. Utterly amazing!
Famous quote:

"If a man says that he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying, or a Gurkha." - Indian Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw

When the story dropped that he had been denied permission to come to the UK for treatment in 2006 because in the words of the limp wristed brainless snowflake of a bureaucrat "did not qualify for British citizenship" or words to that effect I (and many others I was happy to learn) wrote the most scathing letter to my local MP.

I was and remain embarrissed that the man was so poorly treated.

David Flin

Gone Fishin'

Although, to be fair, they have their limitations as well, as they are the first to admit.

Although, to be fair, they have their limitations as well, as they are the first to admit.
They are a bit old stylish too, like when asked to get a DNA sample of a Taliban commander, instead of doing it the proper forensics way, the Gurkha in question just got out his kukri, chopped the commander's head off at that moment and brought it back to base as the "DNA sample".....

David Flin

Gone Fishin'
My cousin who was in 'your mob' specifically four-five CDO worked with them in the early 90s and claimed 'they were even more wooden than we are' - which says a lot :p

Oh, I worked with them for two years in Nepal in the mid 1970s. It's possible things have changed since those days. Wooden isn't a term I'd use, not by a long shot, although I guess it depends what he meant by that. They're quick enough to show emotions when it suits. On parade, yep, they've got emotionlessness down pat.

Because of the poor educational facilities in the hill villages, many of them don't have the basic technical skills we take for granted from an early age, and there's a lot of catch-up involved. They're also not a great choice for peacekeeping activities, for any number of reasons. Loyalty and bravery are a given with them; this means that they can have difficulty getting their head around the idea that others might not be so honourable, or have a different sense of priorities. They're not an ideal choice, for example, for a fighting withdrawal. Going forward, or holding tight (which rarely involves staying put, but that's a digression), no-one can better them. Pulling back, not so much.

There can also be communication difficulties. A rumour does the rounds, which I've no way of proving or disproving either way, but it wouldn't be out of character. Down in the Falklands, a group were tasked with looking after some Argentine prisoners. Rumour has it that the instruction they were given was: "Take care of the prisoners", which - so the story goes - they misinterpreted.

Oh, I worked with them for two years in Nepal in the mid 1970s. It's possible things have changed since those days. Wooden isn't a term I'd use, not by a long shot, although I guess it depends what he meant by that. They're quick enough to show emotions when it suits. On parade, yep, they've got emotionlessness down pat.

Because of the poor educational facilities in the hill villages, many of them don't have the basic technical skills we take for granted from an early age, and there's a lot of catch-up involved. They're also not a great choice for peacekeeping activities, for any number of reasons. Loyalty and bravery are a given with them; this means that they can have difficulty getting their head around the idea that others might not be so honourable, or have a different sense of priorities. They're not an ideal choice, for example, for a fighting withdrawal. Going forward, or holding tight (which rarely involves staying put, but that's a digression), no-one can better them. Pulling back, not so much.

There can also be communication difficulties. A rumour does the rounds, which I've no way of proving or disproving either way, but it wouldn't be out of character. Down in the Falklands, a group were tasked with looking after some Argentine prisoners. Rumour has it that the instruction they were given was: "Take care of the prisoners", which - so the story goes - they misinterpreted.

Yes I have read your Falklands story written in the 19C style - very entertaining.

I under stood that the term 'wooden' meant that they took orders very literally i.e. take that position - and they would keep trying to take it regardless of losses or perform given task etc until told to stop (which can be very good or very bad) - he also said that the Platoon commanders literally had to run around acting like Section leaders do in the Marines and Army.

I don't think he meant emotionally! Nor was he being overly critical - well no more than usual!

Story 1255
April 19, 1942 Rhodes

The air raid siren went off again. The Italian fighters overhead headed southwest even as the rest of the defending fighters began the long scramble to get into the air and at altitude. They might not catch the raiding bombers on the inbound strike but they might be able to jump them on the egress.

Forty miles the south, two squadrons of Hurricanes flown by Greek and Yugoslav pilots weaved in front of the three squadrons of RAF medium bombers. Gunners were ready for the furball as the pilots looked at the engine gauges. The bombers had taken off from Crete earlier in the morning and the fighters had staged out of Kasos to increase their effective range and loiter time. It was not a milk run, it was never a milk run, but the steady stream of raids out of Crete and Cyprus had been wearing the Italian defenders down. Today was another attempt to inflict attritional casualties that the Allies could afford while the Italians could not replace. That was not the mission briefing given to the crews.

At the western tip of Rhodes, the Italian interceptors dove on the Hurricanes, the first pass achieving mild surprise as the divers were seen by sharp eyed pilots well before the light Italian fighters were in machine gun range. One squadron of Hurricanes pointed their nose skyward and let their heavy cannon armament loose as they invited a heads on pass. The other squadron broke from the front sweeping position and began searching for a second Italian element.

The Macchis twisted and turned as half a dozen tried to slip around the flank. Two elements succeeded and made an unopposed pass against the last Baltimores in formation. One element managed to flame the tail end Charlie while the concentrated machine gun fire from four Baltimores scared the other element from pressing their attack too closely. By now, the rest of the defending Hurricanes had time to recover. A furball evolved even as the bombers pressed ahead. As the bombers passed over Apollona, anti-aircraft guns began to fling shells skyward as the bombers came within ten miles of the target. They tightened up as the ping of shell fragments scraped and scarred the aluminum skins. A lucky shell sprayed shrapnel 30 feet from the port engine of a bomber forcing it to tip over. A single man parachuted to the ground. The bomb bay doors opened and the bombs began to drop on the fighter field below them.

As the bombers turned home, the Hurricanes formed up on them again. They were three aircraft short. One pilot would be recovered as he managed to limp back to Kasos. The other pilots would claim eleven kills for the day despite only eighteen Italian defenders actually engaged the enemy.

Interesting seeing action in the Aegean region. Even if it's a low priority side theater, given the better Allied position in the region, and a somewhat stronger Greek military remnant, invading mainland Greece might not be doable, but taking more islands in the region could be possible.

Even if the US doesn't want a major operation around Greece, I could possibly see a token deployment there. Or it could make a dumping ground for some US personnel also.

The Italian position on Rhodes, and other occupied Aegean Islands very much resembles that of Japanese forces on various islands in the Pacific. Any replenishment and replacement has to come from Italy via mainland Greece or directly from Italy. With the Allied air forces in the Eastern Med being stronger and more forward based, and RN light forces and submarines in the area stronger and more forward based, getting supplies is costly. The only advantage Italian forces have is that the Aegean Islands and fishing produce a decent amount food, so starvation is unlikely.

Errolwi

Monthly Donor
The Italian position on Rhodes, and other occupied Aegean Islands very much resembles that of Japanese forces on various islands in the Pacific. Any replenishment and replacement has to come from Italy via mainland Greece or directly from Italy. With the Allied air forces in the Eastern Med being stronger and more forward based, and RN light forces and submarines in the area stronger and more forward based, getting supplies is costly. The only advantage Italian forces have is that the Aegean Islands and fishing produce a decent amount food, so starvation is unlikely.

And it's not practical to poison the food supply like the Allies did at Rabual (by spraying diesel on the gardens).

Driftless

Donor

As you note, for the Italians in this universe, their supply pipeline has a valve in the middle (Crete) that the Italians do not control. Getting military supplies through, especially heavy materials that need to come by sea(tanks, artillery & it's ammunition) is going to be very difficult. Some lighter weight or less bulky items can be airlifted in from Greece, but that's still 500km +/- at high cost in fuel, aircraft, and crew.

Apart from their strategic presence there to be an annoying burr-under-the-Allied-saddle; there's little real purpose for the Italians controlling those islands. Pride-of-possession? Not a great number of Italian emigres to the islands and their administration of the local Greek majority populations was heavy handed and not productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.