Keynes' Cruisers Volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the odds the KMT liberate Nanjing and Shanghai?

I haven’t quite read through enough of the story to see any China action, but I did spoiler myself by seeing the 1944 map. So I assume there were mentions of Better KMT performance

What are the odds the KMT liberate Nanjing and Shanghai?

I haven’t quite read through enough of the story to see any China action, but I did spoiler myself by seeing the 1944 map. So I assume there were mentions of Better KMT performance
Maybe.... The KMT has a far better logistics situation as they have a landline to Burma AND the US is not trying to supply a strategic bomber force at the moment in SE China.

Maybe.... The KMT has a far better logistics situation as they have a landline to Burma AND the US is not trying to supply a strategic bomber force at the moment in SE China.
I really really hope this happens. It’s not even too Implausible and they’ve already advanced extremely close to the city, more than ever did OTL. They can do it!

Story 2565
North of Constanta, Romania August 16, 1944

The quartet of Lightnings accelerated through the dive. The lead pilot was looking to make ace in the next few seconds as there were a dozen single engine aircraft flying low and slow to the north of the port city. This was one of the larger formations of enemy aircraft he, and all of the other pilots in the squadron, had seen in the past few weeks. The other quartet led by his buddy were still orbiting high looking for trouble even as the B-25s bombed the Romanian docks . The dive flaps dumped some kinetic energy into the air and kept the pilot and his following wingmen safe as he edged the rudder slightly to the right and lined up a shot.

He squinted just before he pressed down on the trigger. The aircraft had looked funny since the dive started. Now he saw red stars on the target.

"BREAK LEFT BREAK LEFT BREAK LEFT" He yelled into his radio even as he jerked the big heavy fighter to the left.

Last edited:
Soviet aircraft in otl didn't have stars on the wings......what has changed it here ?

Soviet fighters tended to have a star on either side of the fuselage and then a larger one on either side of the tail. Depending on the dive angel its very likely the pilot would have seen the stars on the tail of the aircraft.

North of Constanta, Romania August 16, 1944
This has left me curious. Was there a policy in place for when Soviet and Western aircraft met during the war over the same enemy airspace?

Presumably they could not communicate with each other by radio nor a ground controller, so I am curious to find out if they had designated flying zones to keep them apart at all in an attempt to minimise friendly fire incidents.

A first encounter between forces at least in this theatre it seems. A promotion for that officer being on the ball, should be a given if this goes well.

Errolwi

Monthly Donor
There was a fair amount of high-level co-ordination OTL. Change from industrial targets to transportation ones to align with Soviet offensives.

Last edited:
This has left me curious. Was there a policy in place for when Soviet and Western aircraft met during the war over the same enemy airspace?

Presumably they could not communicate with each other by radio nor a ground controller, so I am curious to find out if they had designated flying zones to keep them apart at all in an attempt to minimise friendly fire incidents.
I think that there was just a general warning that Soviet aircraft might be operating in the same airspace as the Western Allies during the latter stages of the war over Germany. And to try to identify strange aircraft before engaging.

This might apply now in the Balkans. I would hope the Soviets did and would do the same.

I think that there was just a general warning that Soviet aircraft might be operating in the same airspace as the Western Allies during the latter stages of the war over Germany. And to try to identify strange aircraft before engaging.

This might apply now in the Balkans. I would hope the Soviets did and would do the same.
There were few friendly fire incidents over Balkan OTL as well as accounts from
Soviet sides when US fighters attacked Soviet motorized columns mistakenly identified as Germans in Yugoslavia.

He squinted just before he pressed down on the trigger. The aircraft had looked funny since the dive started. Now he saw red stars on the target.

"BREAK LEFT BREAK LEFT BREAK LEFT" He yelled into his radio even as he jerked the big heavy fighter to the left.
He'll have to wait about 6 years before it'll be OK to open fire.

Late summer 1950 near the 38th parallel may be quite different
Good point. Given the poorer Soviet progress up till now, will the USSR have the time and opportunity to muster the forces in the Soviet far east to occupy Manchuria and North Korea? No occupation, no separate North Korea, and then no Korean War.

Driftless

Donor
Late summer 1950 near the 38th parallel may be quite different

Good point. Given the poorer Soviet progress up till now, will the USSR have the time and opportunity to muster the forces in the Soviet far east to occupy Manchuria and North Korea? No occupation, no separate North Korea, and then no Korean War.
Also allow for a different KMT and Chinese Communist dynamic - on its own post WW2, leaving the Soviet Union as a separate wild card.

Status
Not open for further replies.