Keynes' Cruisers Volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story 2056

Marivales, Bataan, May 20, 1943

The lieutenant from Boston cut the engine. The blockade runner had made a day light run into Bataan carrying thirty five tons of food and ten tons of field artillery shells. Air attacks were not a concern as the Japanese airfields north of Manila was almost empty of workable aircraft. Squadrons had been committed to stopping the invasion of Palawan and once they entered the fleet’s radar networks or the ever expanding and increasingly capable army radar and fighter direction network, squadrons had become flights and flights had become sections over the past two weeks. Continual combat flying had run those pilots into the ground almost as fast as their machines. Mechanics were waiting for spare parts to arrive from Formosa and the Home Islands even as gasoline drums were being tipped over one more time for the last few pints of high octane fuel.

Eighteen miles north of the port, a battery of seventy five millimeter guns began to fire. The four guns each had two dozen shells available for today’s fire missions. This was more shells than the gunners had fired for weeks at a time during the siege. Now the gunners waited a moment as a correction was called in. They were two hundred yards short and one hundred yards to the right of the target. A minute later, the first of six shells per tube were on the way to help a patrolling company break contact.

Story 2057

Bangkok, Thailand May 20, 1943

The surgeon shook his head. More boys were incapable of fighting today than during the heaviest fighting in Malaya. The 8th Australian Division was a shell of its former self. Victory flushed men with money and needs in a friendly enough city were just as dangerous to health and well being as shells and punji stakes. He would have to go talk to the other medical officers in the division about certain public health and prevention campaigns that would need to be kept quiet from the ears of the soldiers’ mothers and lovers back home.

Bangkok, Thailand May 20, 1943

The surgeon shook his head. More boys were incapable of fighting today than during the heaviest fighting in Malaya. The 8th Australian Division was a shell of its former self. Victory flushed men with money and needs in a friendly enough city were just as dangerous to health and well being as shells and punji stakes. He would have to go talk to the other medical officers in the division about certain public health and prevention campaigns that would need to be kept quiet from the ears of the soldiers’ mothers and lovers back home.

Ah yes, a timeless problem - https://www.military.com/daily-news...lis-cases-rise-among-us-military-members.html

From @Swooper in Stupid Luck and Happenstance:
Thing is, as a military person … going off on liberty and bringing back a STD can & should (and did, when I was in the Corps) lead to Captain's Mast (USMC - awards Non-judicial punishment - i.e., no courts martial) at the very least, since the cause of said STDs is well known, the prevention of which was also well-known, and the military brass would have made sure the NCOs regularly 'counseled' the troops on the proper and mandatory use of condoms; therefore anyone catching an STD could and should be charged with 1. Disobeying an Order or Regulation (UCMJ Article 92), 2. Malingering (UCMJ Article 115), and 3. (a catch-all) UCMJ Article 134, the General Article, which states, "Though not specifically mentioned in this chapter, all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court."

There is literally no excuse for a person in the military to get an STD - heck, even back when I was a Jarhead (1970s) we'd get "the talk" at least quarterly. Some of the company commanders in the 3rd Marines, 1st Mar Bde, KMCAS had their company corpsmen "issue" condoms to their Marines, and this is back before HIV/AIDS had become so prevalent.
Seems appropriate for this as well.

It would appear that the siege of Bataan, de facto if not yet official, has been lifted. There is no serious threat from the IJN or the airforces. Blockade running PT boats are arriving in daylight. Bataan is under the air umbrella of P-38s flying out of Palawan. Soon there will be new airfields constructed on the peninsula. How long until transport ships will be unloading at Marivales? There is still some risk of air attack but it is a diminishing threat.

It would seem that Bangkok is living up to its nickname in TTL too.

Driftless

Donor
Considering the relative degradation of the IJN and Air Force, is there any prospect of re-introducing a small US fighter or attack plane force onto Bataan? Or is that a step too soon? To me, this evolved condition sounds like a more robust situation than the early days of the historic battle of Guadalcanal and the use of Henderson Field. The idea here is that making an airfield operational now will allow for quick use whenever the relief force is finally able to land. At this point though I'm guessing from both Armies standpoints that neither has the strength to push the other off the current line, but the Japanese appear to be fading, while the Filipino & American forces are slowly increasing in capability. I'd bet as the historic Japanese forces showed great skill at MaGyvvering up formidable defensive works with limited local supplies, Fester would have them likewise prepared for the inevitable storm.

One more thing to be done to protect transport ships arriving at Bataan is an air field or two as @Driftless pointed out. Hack out a 3000 to 3500 foot strip which is an adequate length for fighters. Build some revetments for parking. Fly in a couple of squadrons and ship in their support personnel and supplies and you have control of the air over Bataan.

Locate some radar stations on the hills covering the North through South and organize the Filipino guerrillas to keep watch on the Japanese held air bases. No surprise air raids then. With a permanent fighter presence it's time to start bringing in the heavy reinforcement and relief forces including the engineers.

He would have to go talk to the other medical officers in the division about certain public health and prevention campaigns that would need to be kept quiet from the ears of the soldiers’ mothers and lovers back home
A slogan that ought to have been used.
If it looks like it might get wet, carry your rubbers.

Raining and galoshes, love, honest.
;)

Fester, how many of the blockade running PT's are left? seems like with the ability to make a daylight run, there could be daily service...
4 functional, 1 at the tender for 20 more days, 2 fast light cruiser conversions to transports, 9 destroyer transports

Last edited:
As a Navy doc, the STD talk was something I gave so many times over my career its beyond counting. What folks outside the military, and many line officers (at least junior ones) don't understand that the doc is not just for putting broken Marines and sailors back together. Preventive medicine, of which STDs are an important part, is key. I recall "joking" with the troops in a lecture about as much as we got "bored" with MREs do not try Abdul's fried camel on a stick for a change - you will regret it. Every Marine got a bottle of hand sanitizer. We triple checked shot reords. I could go on. This is from a surgeon, not a courtesy surgeon but a surgeon whose full time job was operating, putting fractures back together etc...

As a Navy doc, the STD talk was something I gave so many times over my career its beyond counting. What folks outside the military, and many line officers (at least junior ones) don't understand that the doc is not just for putting broken Marines and sailors back together. Preventive medicine, of which STDs are an important part, is key. I recall "joking" with the troops in a lecture about as much as we got "bored" with MREs do not try Abdul's fried camel on a stick for a change - you will regret it. Every Marine got a bottle of hand sanitizer. We triple checked shot reords. I could go on. This is from a surgeon, not a courtesy surgeon but a surgeon whose full time job was operating, putting fractures back together etc...
We called the streetvenders mystery meat "Monkey meat hot dogs", except in Naples, there they were "Hepatitis Burgers" In San Juan, PR one night I complained about the sauerkraut on my "hotdog" and a friend told me to put it in the napkin..I said, What napkin? He said, The one the hotdogs are wrapped in. I had already eaten one..and had no napkin. Maybe it wasn't the kraut that tasted bad. This was at about 3AM outside a 'pleasure palace'. No matter how drunk I got the Hepatitis Burgers were inedible. Rats would eat them...I know this from experience one New Year's Eve.

Question. Does anyone have the length of Kindley field airstrip on Corregidor? Could it support P-40s or F4Fs?

Thanks for this.

Always thought Kindley Field was in Bermuda but apparently the Corregidors strip has the same name

As far a google-fu can tell me it's about 3000 ft now (maybe less in the 40's?)

Thdre is even a video of a recent landing here

During the buildup of the BEF in France in 1939/40 A certain Gen. Montgomery ordered that his men in 3rd Divisions 'slice' be liberally provided with condoms etc.

It got back to the mothers and church leaders in the UK and caused a bit of a stir in the papers with some MPs calling for him to be sacked

Guess which division of the BEF had the fewest cases (by a significant margin) of STDs?

Many years ago when I was on exercise in Kenya I had the job of going around the “disco’s to make sure the troops were being good boys and not killing each other and that the local youth’s were also being good boys hard work at times. However the most important part of the job was handing out the Condoms to the lads. We also made each and every one going out of the gate into town take a couple of packs with them, no matter what rank or who they were commanding officer to the newest Pte in the Battalion.

One Officer had an issue with it our Roman Catholic Chaplin refused to take any so was told ever so politely to bugger off back to the mess. I will never forget him going on about how being a Catholic Priest he had taken vows of chastity. In the end the CO who he was going into town for dinner with ordered him to take them and stop behaving like a spoiled little boy. Now the Church of England Chaplin was more than happy to take some and if you are reading this padra your secret is still safe with me.

Common sense these days but in the 40’s talking about sex and it’s repercussions was almost taboo in a lot of house holds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.