Keynes' Cruisers Volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlg123

Banned
Southern Celebes Sea 0300 January 3, 1943

USS Grouper descended. Six torpedoes were swimming towards the damaged heavy cruiser limping across the Celebes Sea.

Ninety one seconds after the first torpedo left its tube, the Mk-14 should have arrived and hit its target. It missed. The torpedo had wandered to the right. Four more shots were clean misses, some due to wander and some due to spread. The only hit failed to detonate. It did wake up many exhausted men and led to a broken wrist as a man fell out of his hammock.

Kinugasa continued north even as a destroyer ran down the bubble tracks and forced Grouper under for the next four hours.

GLORIOUS AMERICAN TORPEDOES FAIL TO DETONATE OVER 1000 TIMES!!!!1!

Ninjaed on Ted Williams. I truly pity any pitcher trying to pitch to him in this sort of semi-pro (at best) ball game.
From Wiki
"On August 18, 1945, when the war ended, Lt. Williams was sent to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. While in Pearl Harbor, Williams played baseball in the Army League. Also in that eight-team league were Joe DiMaggio, Joe Gordon, and Stan Musial. The Service World Series with the Army versus the Navy attracted crowds of 40,000 for each game. The players said it was even better than the actual World Series being played between the Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs that year."

Yes, no mention of pro pitchers in that league. Scores must had been astronomical

Ninjaed on Ted Williams. I truly pity any pitcher trying to pitch to him in this sort of semi-pro (at best) ball game.
I've been told that the Spring '43 Chapel Hill baseball leagues had some of the best players in the world playing with multiple future Hall of Famers doing their war service. The outfielders hinted at are also MLBers.

And officially, the league is a "beer" league.

From Wiki
"On August 18, 1945, when the war ended, Lt. Williams was sent to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. While in Pearl Harbor, Williams played baseball in the Army League. Also in that eight-team league were Joe DiMaggio, Joe Gordon, and Stan Musial. The Service World Series with the Army versus the Navy attracted crowds of 40,000 for each game. The players said it was even better than the actual World Series being played between the Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs that year."

Yes, no mention of pro pitchers in that league. Scores must had been astronomical

I know Bob Feller served in the Navy in WWII and played some ball while in uniform as well.

Indiana Beach Crow

Monthly Donor

Impressive thing about Williams is that he served again in Korea and flew something like 35 combat missions.

And was John Glenn's wingman during Korea

Ted Williams actual life story sounds like one of those career plans you come up with when you were eight years old: "I want to be the best hitter ever in baseball, who hits a home run in his last at bat, who's also a fighter pilot who's wingman is John Glenn, and when I retire from baseball I want to go fly fishing and hunting with my friend Bobby Knight."

Didn't realize that was Ted Williams; it isn't surprising, though, given that he served in two wars...

Shame he never won a World Series...

Hell, Ted Williams' story is like a movie, especially given that his wingman in Korea was John Glenn, of all people...

Indiana Beach Crow

Monthly Donor
l
Shame he never won a World Series...

'46 was probably the Red Sox best chance to win out all the years they had Ted on the roster, but Enos Slaughter's mad dash from first was the end of that. The rest of the time they had Williams, barring when he was back in fighter plane, the Red Sox were fighting with one hand tied behind their back because Tom Yawkey was a racist bastard who refused to sign African-Americans.

SsgtC

Banned
'46 was probably the Red Sox best chance to do win out all the time they had Ted on the roster, but Enos Slaughter's mad dash from first was the end of that. The rest of the time they had Williams, barring when he was back in fighter plane, the Red Sox were fighting with one hand tied behind their back because Tom Yawkey was a racist bastard who refused to sign African-Americans.
Plus in 46, Williams got hurt in an exhibition game just before the World Series and because of that injury, basically was a non factor in the series. Have Williams avoid getting hurt and the Red Sox probably win in 5 or 6 games

Status
Not open for further replies.