Alexandria, Egypt April 29, 1943 Two carriers turned out of the wind. The last fighter was aboard. The flight deck crews scrambled to tie down the narrow legged aircraft and bring the half dozen machines that had landed hard down below to the hangers for overnight repairs. Since the carriers had arrived from the Far East, the experienced fighter squadrons traded in their obsolete Sea Hurricanes and their older Seafires for factory fresh machines. Three crates and a pair of pilots had already been written off due to landing accidents. Forty miles south of the carriers’ training box and two miles inland from the great port, almost the entire complement of the 13th Army rested. Seventeen officers, fourteen sergeants and one hundred and seventy three men of other ranks along with four hundred civilian contractors (mainly truck drivers, painters and set designers) had been called to Alexandria for a briefing. Forty men were still sending radio messages to each other in eleven division and three corps headquarters. The largest of these sites was a pair of almost new Ford trucks. The men had been briefed on the next phase of the Army’s mission. And then they had been released to a night on the town before they headed back to the extensive training ranges occupied by the components of this mighty, false army.