Kentucky Fried Politics: A Colonel Sanders Timeline

Interesting to see a Mondale Presidency - and a kid in a White House, which is always nice. Fun to see the "New Ideas" bit since that was something he chided his opponent about having no meat to in the '84 primaries.

Good to see Robert Kennedy and Lady Bird active in different roles.

Looks like the Colonel is staying really active.

So, Elvis doesn't seem to have his drug problem, or maybe this causes him to get off of them. It'll be interesting to see him as an older rocker.

I'm guessing Mr. Chicken is going to have one hell of a post-Presidency.

May be some memorable last years in a "rage against the dying of the light" given the Colonel died IOTL in 1980.

So, Elvis doesn't seem to have his drug problem, or maybe this causes him to get off of them. It'll be interesting to see him as an older rocker.

Did Elvis still marry Priscilla TTL? Or has he found someone else?

Another interesting update.

Did Powell go all Thatcher during his time in office? Deindustrialization and privitization would be very risky given that Britain still had a decent industrial base at the time. No wonder he is unpopular. Did he keep the NHS though or ditch it?

WINNER BY A FOOT!: MP Dingle Foot Elected New Labour Leader As Party Eyes This Year’s Upcoming General Election

Sir Dingle Mackintosh Foot has served in Parliament since 1957 and has, in the years since the Stonehouse Scandal, become a leading critic of PM Enoch Powell. Foot calls for a moderate, “peaceful approach” to the Northern Irish debacle. At age 67, he is the oldest person to become Prime Minister since Winston Churchill...

Only just becoming Leader and already PM?

Northern Ireland: During the 1960s, the American Federation of Teachers and the National Education Association - these do not sound like British Unions.

Black September: "CIA snipers removed four of the terrorists before the local military stormed the embassy, killing the remaining hostages in the basement, presumably moments before they could murder all the hostages. In the skirmish, two hostages were injured by friendly fire, but made full recoveries." - presumably they killed all the kidnappers in the basement?

Good news regarding Afghanistan. Long term effects there.

Interesting variant on the Middle Eastern oil wars there. Saudi will play hardball with the West. What did Iraq and Iran do?

KFC in China? Well why not. Is there one in Hong Kong already?

Elvis alive in 93 due to the Colonel? Awesome.

Heh... Hillary still ends up a Clinton

Is Mondale going to stop NYC turning into the Hellhole it was in the 80's?

Amtrak Improvement Bill - High speed rail?

Soviets on the Moon = fantastic, that should galvanise NASA. Perhaps the President fixes NASA's budget? 1-2% of GDP should give them enough for a Mars shot.

public school teachers helped lead the way. During the 1960s, the American Federation of Teachers and the National Education Association grew at a furious pace; in the 1970s, teachers were the most militant government workers, willing to strike even when it was illegal in order to press their demands. Through this period teachers elevated their pay and benefits and won significant reforms, especially reductions in class sizes and increases in education funding.

Public schools have a very different meaning in the UK, they were almost stamped out when labour were at their zenith, perhaps ITTL they were?
NUT and NAS/UWT were the two main teacher's unions, the former being a little more militant at the time.

Chapter 39: February 1974 – December 1974

“[Perfection is a man-made idea]. Nothing in nature is that even; man is the inventor of straight edges.”

– Stephen King (OTL)

RED CHINA WELCOMES K.F.C.!

The New York Times, 2/9/1974

KFC’s entry into China was unprecedented, as was the company’s eventual success. The first KFC in China, a short walking distance from Tiananmen Square, the political heart of traditional and Communist China “opened to the warmest embrace imaginable by the citizens of Beijing.” Unlike any other business in China, Beijing’s first KFC was also unlike any KFC found in the US: “occupying three stories and 12,000 square feet, [the restaurant] had a seating capacity of 500, and a staff of more than 150.” This enterprise was American business with Chinese characteristics. For the Chinese, KFC was novelty and social curiosity, a permanent exhibition on capitalism served with a side of fries. The Western-style food, however, was only one among a myriad of temptations: customers came from miles around to enjoy a new, American way of eating, heralded by a smiling bearded mascot, speedy counter employees, and spotless bathrooms. This new business model was a complete about-face from the Mao’s China of ten years prior, merging foreign innovation and a new prosperity. For China, KFC was the definition of modern.
In its early days, KFC in China was not simply “fast food,” but rather an “exciting, unique, and brand-new experience never before encountered…like taking a tour of American, with all its connotations: political, cultural, time, and space – real or imaginary.” The “idea of KFC” was so distinctive, that many customers at the Beijing flagship restaurant “spent hours talking to each other and gazing out the huge glass window that overlooks a busy commercial street—thereby demonstrating their sophistication to the people who passed by.” One important aspect of this perception of KFC in China is the meaning of fast food. The emergence of KFC by no means marked the beginnings of fast food in China. To the Chinese, fast food or “kuaican,” is synonymous with “hefan,” cheap meals found along every street in major Chinese cities, served out of Styrofoam containers and plastic bags. Judged by this standard, KFC is hardly considered fast food
as far as the people of China are concerned. [1]

M7Fwq5A.png

[pic: imgur.com/M7Fwq5A.png (note: please view the ".com" in the corner as a typo)]
– Bo Yibo’s The Dragon and The Eagle: Chinese and American Dances, Daggers and Dinners, English translation, 1998

COLONEL SANDERS: THE ULTIMATE DIPLOMAT?

The Colonel’s decision to break bread with Chairman Mao may have actually been bigger than just a move to make the company stand out in the saturated fast-food market of the 1970s.

According to a new book by historian Joseph Hildebrand, “Our Grand Old Flag: The People Who Love It (And The People Who Hate It),” a possible reason for the Colonel deciding to bring KFC to China was his belief that the sharing of popular culture, namely foods, would tie the people of China and America together, lowering the chances a war occurring between the two nations long after he had died. Hildebrand explains “The ‘capitalist peace theory,’ or the ‘commercial peace theory,’ which in 1996 New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman simply called it ‘the Fast Food thesis,’ simply states the following: ‘No two countries that both have at least one KFC have ever fought a war against each other,’ which has been true ever since KFC exploded into the international food scene in the early 1960s.”

Rebecca Weisser, a researcher at the Centre for Independent Studies, points to prior historical incidents of such consumer-based diplomacy as proof that the Colonel’s idea had merit. “The relative peace globally between 1815 and 1914 is attributed to the dramatic rise of international trade, investment and migration whereas the downward spiral in international trade in the 1930s contributed to the hostilities that led to WWII.” [2]

Tumbleweed Magazine article, e-publication, 11/8/2014

By the start of 1974 there were almost 100 Ollie’s Trolleys nationwide, most of them east of the Mississippi River. But despite its rapid growth, the place had yet to find its footing among enough customers to surpass KFC on the fast-food market. Many Americans, whose collective idea of an ideal burger was focused more on ketchup and mustard than thyme and oregano, found Ollieburgers a challenge to their taste buds. It seemed that, while Americans were quick to embrace spicy fried chicken, spicy hamburgers were something else entirely.

Already deeply invested in Ollie’s brainchild, [John Y.] Brown convinced the founder that they needed to modernize, and they soon began installing drive-thrus to numerous locations, like what several competitors were doing. [3]

– proudsoutherner.co.usa/food/ollies-trolley/you-could-be-the-next-colonel-sanders

The Venceremos Front
was an American organization that focused on militant urban guerilla warfare as a means of enforce left-wing ideas. The organization was formed in 1969 and gained a foothold in the post-Arkwave shoutnik scene of the early 1970s before slowly losing membership and ultimately dissolving in 1977.

BEGINNINGS

The “front” was based in Berkley, California, and was one of many left-wing pro-Prison Reform organizations to either form or gain prominence and membership in the aftermath of the Attica Prison Massacre. The organization’s members mostly conducted acts of vandalism, but occasionally also committed acts of armed robbery.

Army veteran teacher and linguist at the University of California Berkeley Colston Westbrook gave the Venceremos Front credibility via his involvement in their ideology, but this did little to help it expand in popularity. By the start of 1974, it seemed that support for Prison Reform on the national level was waning in the face of other issues such as the rise in gas prices and the Equal Rights Amendment. The organization became more militant during this time under the leadership of William Lawton Wolfe and Patricia Soltysik. [4]

KIDNAPPING ATTEMPT

In early 1974, Wolfe, Soltysik, and a former ex-convict who went by the name Rathbone X, decided to travel to New York to kidnap Mario Biaggi in order to pressure the government into releasing wrongfully incarcerated individuals in several prisons located in New York and California. Biaggi was the Governor of New York who was controversial for his role in the events leading up to the Attica Prison Massacre.

[snip]

– clickopedia.co.usa/The_Venceremos_Front

Continuing with our bid to boost Wendyburger sales, the KFC parent company, KFC Inc, also established some KFC-Wendy’s “Combo” Locations, where both buildings were used, and both menus were given. For older customers, it was a throwback to the early years of KFC, when the chicken was sold in other people’s establishments alongside said place’s menus instead of there being places actual run entirely by KFC. For others, it was a convenient merger of their two favorite joints. For customers eating in groups, it was convenient because you could order a KFC bucket and a Wendyburger at the same ordering station. It was introduced in early 1974, but discontinued in 1980...

– Dave Thomas’ Under the Colonel’s Wing, Mosaic Publishing, 1982

GOVERNOR MCCALL SIGNS OPT-IN FREE HEALTH CARE ACT INTO LAW

The Portland Tribune, 3/5/1974

…After months of deliberations, President Mondale has nominated state Judge Constance Motley of New York for a seat on the US Supreme Court being vacated by the retiring Justice Douglas…

– CBS News, 3/6/1974 broadcast

INTERVIEWER: Can you tell us what the 1974 kidnapping experience was like for you?

BIAGGI: Oh, yeah, that thing. Man, what ridiculous failure that was, let me tell ya! Now they did study the layout of the Governor’s mansion, because they drove around to the back, er, side entrance. It was also impressive that they got past security by setting fire to a nearby dumpster as a distraction, but it was obviously their first rodeo. Once inside, they didn’t know how to keep quiet, and they didn’t know the layout of the actual interior of the place. And they didn’t know how to whisper softly enough, nor know where my office or my bedroom was. At least they knew I was home, they knew that much, and fortunately, my wife was out with a friend. They found me in my inner office, which was on the first floor, near this study-library room on the side. That’s the room they came in through. They gave me and my secretary a startle bursting into the room, wearing those ski masks, and started hollering something at her and I. But I thought it was some joke, see, so I said, “What kind of gag is this?” So the one guy tried to show they were serious by firing the gun into the air, only for the gun click. The idiots still had their safeties on.

“Dammit, you said this was how you worked it, X,” one of them said.

“Shut up, just nab the f@#ker,” said the first one. That’s how I knew they weren’t kidding around. I’ve been around enough guns to know when one was real, and those were legit. Plus, if they were joking, they would have known better than to call me “f@#ker.” My secretary trembling at the sight of them was another tipoff.

So I took the moment to get us out of there. Now my desk didn’t have a nameplate – or is it a name plaque? – You know, the Toblerone thing at the front of desks? I didn’t have one of those in the Governor’s mansion, but I did have a bust of FDR on the desk. I grabbed it, and pow! I whacked the one trying to grab me right in the face! I grabbed my secretary by the hand, and as the other two struggled to put the safeties on their guns, we dashed to the study and locked the door behind us. Then they started firing into the door, so while my secretary called security, I grabbed the commemorative rifle we had in the room. It wasn’t loaded, but I shouted out to our assailants the claim that it was. I threatened to blow them away if they kept it up. I heard them talking to each other over whether or not I was bluffing, but we didn’t get to hear the conversation’s conclusion. Law enforcement arrived in the office with their guns drawn before they could even disperse from the area.

Afterward, security was doubled, and I started keeping a gun right in the desk drawer of my inner office and also in my study, instead of just in the master’s bedroom, guest rooms, front-door closet, back-door closest, butler’s pantry, hallway closets, basement, attic, outer office, main bathroom, main washroom, linen closets and drawing rooms. Kind of an oversight on my part, really. After twenty years of being a cop, eight years of being a governor had led to me putting my guard down. So, yeah, that was sort of embarrassing, but that’s not how the newspapers reported it, let me tell ya!

The experience was frightening, I’ll admit, but in retrospect, those would-be kidnappers did so many things wrong, it was ridiculous.

– Mario Biaggi, ABC interview, 1998

HERO GOVERNOR VANQUISHES WOULD-BE KILLERS!

Personally Holds Back Assailants, Saving Secretary’s Life

The New York Post, 3/16/1974

FORMER FIRST LADY CLAUDIA FOUNDS SCHOLARSHIPS FOR MUSICIANS

tvVqQrM.png

[pic: imgur.com/tvVqQrM.png ]

The Louisville Times, Kentucky newspaper, 3/19/1974

POLICE REVEAL NAME OF MAN KILLED IN LAST WEEK’S WALSENBURG SHOOTOUT

…the man who robbed a bank before fleeing the scene, being cornered by police officers, and then firing upon them until he was killed has been identified as local ex-soldier Michael Corbett. Corbett reportedly suffered from violent outbursts in public, and had recently been evicted from his apartment in Walsenburg, Colorado for "unruly behavior" and "threatening to kill" a fellow tenant, according to his former landlord...

– The Fort Collins Coloradoan, Colorado newspaper, 3/21/1974

MONDALE SIGNS WATER RESOURCES PROTECTION AND DEVELOPMENT ACT INTO LAW

– The Washington Post, 3/22/1974

MONDALE FIGHTS DEMOCRAT, REPUBLICAN CONSERVATIVES OVER SPENDING PACKAGE

…the Senators in question disapprove of a massive multimillion-dollar spending omnibus package – four bills focused on urban utilities development and urban renewal; research and development of domestic oil and gas reserves; farm aid; and water sanitation – for being too “invasive and wasteful,” according to Senator Hank Hibbard (R-MT).

Secretary Ralph Nader joins others in strongly backing the package, stating “It should be noted that a majority of these Congressmen hail from white-collar districts, and polling shows upper-middle classes are upset at the president for ignoring their needs. But these needs, the needs of the lower classes, they can’t wait.”

oFzRO67.png

[pic: imgur.com/oFzRO67.png ]
Above: Secretary Nader looking over his prepared notes ahead of speaking to the press

The Senate plans to review the package next week…

The Washington Post, 3/23/1974

“Can I get anything salty?”

“For the hundredth time, no!” I stressed.

Jack and I were walking out of a meeting with Ted about his involvement with Jack’s think tank in DC, and we were discussing what to have later for dinner. The Addison’s-induced salt cravings only worsened the disease’s other side effect, dehydration. I recall, on that day, Jack was being more stubborn than usual, and was refusing to use his crutches.

As we were approaching the building’s main staircase, I asked him if he would reconsider using leg braces, similar to what Franklin Delano Roosevelt used.

Jack didn’t appreciate the comment, “Jackie, I am not a cripple,” he huffed and quickly moved past me down the stairs, “I just have weak legs, that’s – ”

Jack either mistook a step or he slipped. I yelped as Jack fell down the stairs, his body doing a sort of somersault as he tumbled down to the landing in the middle of the staircase. Witnesses immediately rushed over, and soon Ted and I were helping him into a car around back.

At the hospital, I remember asking him, “How much longer is this going to go on for, Jack, before you admit you need the damn braces?” Maybe I was being a bit dramatic, but I didn’t want to lose him, and he his stubbornness kept him from resting to address his affliction head-on. Instead, he was ignoring it by running off the think tanks and Democratic fundraisers, sailing on yachts and partaking in cigars everyday it seemed. In my mind, I began to think that it was not a question of “if,” but “when.” When would his disease take him from me?

– Jackie Kennedy’s autobiography, With My Own Eyes, Simon & Schuster, 1993

Patient received moderate injuries during incident. The carpeting of the staircase softened the blow the body received, but injuries were still substantial. Patient received a lightly sprained neck, pulled and sprained muscles on his back, a compound fracture in his left hand, and contusions to his neck and both legs and right arm.

The most serious injury, however was received by the patient’s scapula, the area around the right shoulder blade. Patient’s scapula received a pull muscle and some light internal bleeding, which may cause significant local inflammation and pain. Due to Patient suffering from Addison’s disease, his immune system is weak, and prone to infection. As a result, it is imperative that the area of the internal bleeding is heavily and routinely observed to ensure it heals properly.

It is of this director’s professional opinion that Patient must cut back on strenuous activities in order to build up his mental and physical strength and stamina. The body’s system cannot fight the disease if the body itself and the person himself are not helping the system along in its fight.

– George Washington University Hospital, internal memo, 3/29/1974

FORMER SENATOR JACK KENNEDY IN HOSPITAL FOR PNEUMONIA, SAYS FAMILY

– The Boston Globe, 3/30/1974

46GGv2t.png

[pic: imgur.com/46GGv2t.png ]
– An F5 tornado, one of seven to reach the F5 rating to touch down during the 1974 Super Outbreak, ravages southwestern Ohio, 4/3/1974

Over 100 tornadoes touched down in 13 states and one Canadian province, killing 295 people and injuring over 5,000 in roughly 18 hours. Seven F5s were observed—one each in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky, three in Alabama and the final one which crossed through parts of Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. 31 were killed in Brandenburg, Kentucky, and 28 died in Guin, Alabama. The tornado the struck Windsor, Ontario, Canada, killed nine and injuring 30 others there, all of them at the former Windsor Curling Club. During the peak of the outbreak, a staggering sixteen tornadoes were on the ground simultaneously. At one point forecasters in Indiana, frustrated because they could not keep up with all of the simultaneous tornado activity, put the entire state of Indiana under a blanket tornado warning. This was the first and only time in U.S. history that an entire state was under a tornado warning. [5]

– farmersalmanac.co.usa/1974_Tornado_Outbreak

QkLGyMh.png

[pic: imgur.com/QkLGyMh.png ]
The New York Times, 4/8/1974

…with the local economy increasing due to nationwide recovery efforts and the city’s population increasing as well, the Mayor of Colorado Springs has announced a 25% increase of the city’s police fund…

– KOAA-TV, Colorado TV station, NBC, 4/9/1974 broadcast

CONSTANCE MOTLEY WITHDRAWS NOMINATION FOR SUPREME COURT SEAT

…the 52-year-old African-American female had an impressive resume. Motley had previously served in the New York state senate, as the Borough President of Manhattan, and has served as a Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York since President Sanders appointed her to that seat in August 1966 (in exchange for Sanders appointing a deeply conservative judge to a different seat). However, conservatives in the US Senate strongly opposed her progressive ruling history…

– The Washington Times, 4/10/1974

…Another issue that I’d like to discuss tonight is President Mondale’s Secretary of Labor, Robert Kennedy, who is allowing unions to increase the power and influence they have over honest businessmen. The Secretary’s attempts to make a Mondale-esque espirit de corps among white and non-white workers is admittedly working to keep them from blaming each other for job losses, but his policies in office nevertheless border on the edge of socialism, or at the least on the edge of violating several federal overreach laws. Most recently, Mr. Kennedy has begun to push for increasing communication between the federal government and private enterprises to reduce employment and employee treatment concerns whenever businesses fail to surrender to the demands of unions. Americans everywhere should be outraged at this, but for some reason are not, most likely because they are not adequately informed as to what is really going on here. I would like to start to change that with tonight’s discussion…

– William F. Buckley Jr. (host), Firing Line, WOR-TV, Tuesday 4/16/1974 broadcast

In April 1974, during an excellent season for his team, pitcher Douglas James “Dougie” Rau of the L.A. Dodgers tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching arm. Months later, Rau underwent a surgical graft procedure where the odds of success were at 1 in 100. While the surgery put Rau out of commission for the rest of the season and all of the 1975 season, his arm reacted positively to the surgery, and he returned for the 1976 season good as new. His recovery was deemed “miraculous,” and it increased public awareness of the surgery to such a height, that by the time Rau retired from MLB in 1991, the procedure was better known by its nickname: a “Dougie Rau” surgery.

– John Helyar’s Lords of the Realm: The Real History of Baseball, Ballantine Books, 1994

TWO MEN FOUND DEAD IN SAN FRANCISCO BATHHOUSE

The Sacramento Union, 4/20/1974

REBELS SEIZE CONTROL OF PORTUGAL

Lisbon, PORTUGAL – Army rebels are in control of Portugal tonight after an almost bloodless dawn coup ended nearly 50 years of dictatorship... [6] Locals are beginning to call the peaceful overthrow the Carnation Revolution as the leaders of the rebels have proclaimed their goal of restoring democracy to the people Portugal. …It remains unclear what this development means for the overseas territories of Portugal…

The Guardian, UK newspaper, 25/4/1974

MARY SCRANTON FOUNDS URBAN RENEWAL ORGANIZATION

Pittsburgh, PA – Former Second Lady of the United States Mary Scranton is the brainchild behind “Keystone Opportunities,” a non-profit organization based in this state that intends to collaborate with local governments to implement community development programs in poverty- and crime- striken areas…

The Philadelphia Inquirer, PA newspaper, 5/2/1974

HOUSE PASSES “CIVIL RIGHTS BILL 2”

The Washington Post, Tuesday, 5/7/1974

NASA ANNOUNCES THEY WILL “SOON” SEND PROBE TO MOON TO VERIFY SOVIET MOON LANDING

The Miami Tribune, 5/12/1974

FRITZ NAMES NEW SUPREME COURT NOMINEE

After floating the names of judges June Lazenby Green, Damon Keith, and surprise early favorite A. Leon Higginbotham Jr. as possible candidates, President Mondale has formally nominated William Joseph Nealon Jr. for Justice William O. Douglas’ Supreme Court seat. Nealon, a Judge of the US District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania since 1962, has already won the support of the retiring Douglas and several Senatorial leaders…

The Washington Times, 5/16/1974

On May 18, 1974, a new player entered the nuclear arena. India became a nuclear power – the first nation outside of the UN’s permanent Security Council to do so – with the success of their “Smiling Buddha” test in the Pokhran Test Range of Rajasthan, northern India. Declaring it a “peaceful nuclear explosion” – a term to describe non-military purposes for nuclear testing, the most common use being excavation – the test revived Prime Minister Indira Gandhi’s waning popularity.

This development changed the dynamics of international relations with India. The most negative reaction to the test, however, came from their western neighbor. Pakistan went on the offensive, claiming the test was not “peaceful,” and the nation’s Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto promising to fight back against the perceived threat of “Indian hegemony or domination over the subcontinent.” Furthermore, the Prime Minister saw the test as justification for his late 1974 decision that Pakistan would develop and test a nuclear bomb of its own. However, Pakistan’s progress on fulfilling this promise was slow from the very beginning…

– David Tal’s US Strategic Arms Policy in the Cold War: Negotiation & Confrontation, Routledge, 2017

MARGARETHA
…and his wife Christine Chubbuck are ecstatic to announce the successful birth of their first child, a daughter weighing 6 pounds, 11 ounces [7].

– The Sarasota Herald-Tribune, celebrations section, 5/23/1974

KFC’s growth as the ’70s continued allowed for KFC franchisees to take the risk and try out new expanded menu selections. In some places, customers could find offerings such as the Colonel’s personally created versions of ham and bean scallop, sausage shortcake, orange coconut custard, cheese meatloaf, and of course, in the UK, one of the nation’s most popular dishes of the ’70s – Chicken Kiev. More versions of chicken-based foods were tried out with every piece of the bird – breasts, thighs, wings, organs, and feet. Even fried chicken heads were available in select locations in Mississippi and Louisiana. KFC’s expansion of its regional menus may have also been in response to regional competitors...

– Paul Ozersky’s Colonel Sanders and the American Dream, University of Texas Press, 2012

“THE DEEP” WAS WORTH THE WAIT

Orson Welles’ long-anticipated work “The Deep” has finally premiered, after infamously being worked on for well over a decade. Based on the 1963 Charles Williams novel “Dead Calm,” the film is a dramatic suspense thriller that follows two honeymooners in the middle of the ocean who discover a mysterious young man in a lifeboat. The film is posthumously dedicated to its lead star, Laurence Harvey, who passed away late last year. Production on the film stalled until 1968, when the state economy allowed Welles to find funding for remaining scenes to be completed and edit over the next five-to-six years...

Variety magazine, 6/7/1974 film review

SENATE APPROVES NEALON FOR SUPREME COURT SEAT; Will Begin Time On The Bench “Within The Month”

The Washington Post, 6/12/1974

Under President Mondale, the federal government agency entitled The National Science Foundation began compiling a comprehensive study that when published in June 1974, claimed that years of data agreed with a 1956 abstract [8] that suggested Earth is experiencing “anthropogenic global disruption,” the idea that the actions of decades of burning feul was increasing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, affecting the world’s climate. The linking of global temperature levels to human activity was a landmark declaration. However, it was met with scrutiny by manufacturers who claimed the report was inaccurate and, “if taken seriously,” would create “unnecessary panic,” according to commentator William F. Buckley. For President Mondale, the report conflicted with his goal of ensuring manufacturing jobs for American workers, and while he did not openly comment on the report at the time, he did not inhibit the NSF’s calls for increasing “responsibility and awareness” among industries emitting “too much” carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. As the report came at a time of increased environmentalist activism, arguably beginning with the Santa Barbara Oil Spill of 1969, it found support in the Global Weather Protection movement, founded the same time as other groups favoring a massive change in “industrial nature treatment” worldwide…

– Robert Wilder’s Listening to the Land and Sea: The Politics of Environmental Protection in California, University of Sacramento Press, 1999

COLONEL CAUGHT CAUSING CHAOS IN SUPERMARKET SCANDAL!

…It seems outspoken women are causing headaches for the Chicken King once more, as seen in new photos capturing what primary sources confirm was a heated argument between the former President and a concerned citizen. Speaking her mind, the unidentified woman was heard calling Colonel Sanders a “warmongering pervert” as she waved her hands in his face. The former leader of the free world proceeded to scold her “like she was a schoolgirl,” says a second witness, who explains the Colonel eventually walked away “like a cowardly schoolgirl” to regroup with Secret Service agents waiting for him at the store’s entrance, “like a clique of schoolgirls,” says the same witness…

National Enquirer, tabloid newspaper, 6/16/1974

ft8tily.png

[pic: imgur.com/ft8tily.png ]
– Photograph of The Supermarket Incident, captured by an onlooker, 6/14/1974

Oh. That thing. That was just an unfortunate run-in with a very ill-informed woman. Called my husband a bunch of names, so Harland told her off. It was embarrassing, but on the plus side, Secret Service started keeping a tighter leash on him to keep such things from happening again. I don’t want to talk about it any further. Next question, please.

– Claudia Price Sanders, TNB (Trinity National Broadcasting) interview, 1979

Derided as “Worzel Gummidge’s other brother” for him and Michael’s “rumbled” appearances, Dingle was not as left-wing as his brother had been while Prime Minister, but nevertheless, Dingle was willing to make concessions to the most left-leaning members of Labour in order to preserve party unity.

[snip]

Dingle was a masterful diplomat who improved the monarchy’s reputation abroad. [snip] Relations between France and the UK improved that month [June 1974] when Dingle Foot met with Francois Mitterrand in Paris. [snip] Due to his past career as a solicitor or practitioner for nations such as Ghana, Northern Rhodesia, Sierra Leone, Kenya, Uganda, Tanganyika, and Nyasaland during the late 1940s, 1950s, and early 1960s, Dingle Foot was successful in strengthening relations between the UK and many countries in Africa. Dingle’s support of nuclear disarmament, however, put him at odds with India, where he also had once worked as a Senior Advocate for the Indian Supreme Court, once the subcontinental nation became a nuclear power.

– Kenneth O. Morgan’s Putting Our Foots Down: The Days of Michael And The Years of Dingle, Guardian publications, 2011

MONDALE SIGNS WORKING IMMIGRANTS ACT INTO LAW

…The law is meant to cut down on “unreasonable” qualification measures in regards to worker visas to allow “the best and the brightest in the world and America’s best and brightest to join together in the American workplace,” Mondale explained at a press conference early today... …It is the President’s attempt to find a balance between appealing to white native-born workers and to the immigrant labor force that began his Presidential candidate three years ago…

The Washington Post, 6/27/1974

COLONEL SANDERS TO CAMEO IN GRIZZLY ADAMS FILM!

…set for release in November, the former President will briefly show up as “a customer in a general goods store,” says the anonymous source close to the casting process for the independent film. It is currently unclear if The Colonel will have spoken dialogue in the scene, or will simply appear in the background, a la Alfred Hitchcock…

The Hollywood Reporter, 7/1/1974

…On July 12, police discovered the serial killer had struck again when five men were discovered to have been killed in a San Francisco bathhouse. While publicly calling on officials to “do your duty,” Governor Reagan amended the declaration to “do your duty despite the immoral activities of the victims’ personal lives” for a private fundraiser held two weeks later….

– Brandon Teena’s The Rise of BLUTAG Rights: The Story of the Bi-Lesbian-Undefined-Trans-Asexual-Gay Movement, Scholastic, 2019

Morse Loses Last of Many Battles

P7FNbOD.png

[pic: imgur.com/P7FNbOD.png ]
By Henny Willis – The Tiger is dead. Wayne Lyman Morse, the old “Tiger of the Senate,” died at 8:10 a.m. today of kidney failure at Good Samaritan Hospital in Portland. He was 73. One of the most dynamic and controversial figures in Oregon’s political history, Morse died in the midst of a re-election campaign for the US Senate he held for over 29 years, from 1945 until his death. Morse was in Portland organizing his campaign when he was stricken Wednesday with a severe urinary tract infection. He was hospitalized and physicians said he was responding to antibiotic treatment, but he slipped into a coma at 5:50 a.m. today and never regained consciousness. Funeral services were incomplete as of noon today…

– The Eugene Register-Guard, 7/22/1974 [9]

…as the Senator passed away only a few weeks after obtaining the Democratic nomination for that November’s senatorial election, the party had enough time to replace Morse’s name on the ballot” with state politician Betty Roberts…

– knowledgepolitics.co.usa/Wayne_Morse_bio

…In other news, any customers travelling from Virginia to Texas will no longer be confused by the existence of the What-A-Burger franchise of Virginia and the Whataburger franchise of Texas. The two separate and independently created companies have settled out of court in order to end a federal trademark infringement lawsuit concerning the similarity of their names. Upon learning of each other in 1970, the Texas Whataburger publicly vowed to not expand into Virginia. However, the larger Texas Whataburger broke this promise in 1972, during a period of great expansion for the company, and this is what sparking the lawsuit. With this new development, though, the Virginia-based company has announced that, in order to avoid confusion, they will change their name from “What-A-Burger” to “Bestburger,” allowing both companies to compete for customers regardless of the other’s presence in the area…

The Overmyer Network, 7/27/1974 broadcast

“Kentucky Fried Chicken had owned H. Salt Esquire Fish & Chips since 1969, but after just a few years was experiencing a decline sales, adding to the parent company’s woes. So the Colonel – busy guy that he was – decided to help us out. Helped us revamp our menu, increase the quality, uh, you know, how we kept the interior all cleaned up and everything. He even recorded a commercial for us! That’s how much the Colonel cared for every single member of the large and diverse KFC family – that he’d go out of his way to have himself a spot in an ad for a restaurant chain that mostly sold the British fish and chips dish across what back then was only a few US states.”

– Former H. Salt Esq. Fish & Chips employee, interview for ABC report on KFC, recorded 2002

FAMILY EDUCATION RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT BECOMES LAW

The Washington Post, 8/5/1974

Oh, well, Harland had been thinking about the Arab-Israeli conflict long before deciding to actively get involved. At first, I thought he was only joking, but the wars in Israel in 1967 and 1973, they had an effect on him. I’d say, shortly before the publication of his autobiography was when he really started thinking about how he could help. I remember how he spent several months discussing what he called his “duty as a Christian” with his pastor, and how he’d run around to, uh, run the idea by his friends and business associates. He even reached out to his former diplomats who were happy to advise him on the feasibility and the extent to which he could work to bring peace to the middle east.

…the House of Commons has approved on Prime Minister Foot’s tax plan to combat the country’s rising inflation crisis…

– BBC News, 8/19/1974

A lot of things have changed over the years – business strategies and complicated economic theories – but they haven’t been able to change the Golden Rule. That one still works and my story is the proof.

– Colonel Sanders’ Life As I Have Known It Has Been Finger-Lickin’ Good, Creation House publishing, 1974 [10]

The businessman-turned-President-turned-businessman’s memoirs, “Life As I Have Known It Has Been Finger Lickin’ Good,” is a reflection on his many careers over the decades, wherein he expresses his many views and touts his many accomplishments. While other politicians may shy away from, or attempt to justify, the most negative aspects of their administration, Sanders attempts to address the biggest blunders of his years in office, most notably the aborted 1966 attempt to invade northern Vietnam, and the sexual pestering accusation that started a multinational phenomenon. However, he does spend little time covering his restricting of “underground” comics. Nonetheless, the detailed book is a must-read for anyone who likes colorful and Horatio Alger-type characters and stories with twists, turns, and politics…

The New York Times, book review, 8/29/1974

MONDALE SIGNS MASSIVE OMNIBUS SPENDING PACKAGE INTO LAW

– The Chicago Tribune, 9/1/1974

“BLUTAG BUTCHERER” SUSPECT CAPTURED IN OAKLAND: Accused of Killing 19 Men Since January

…“we have reason to believe the suspect in custody is tied to cases going back nine months concerning 19 murdered homosexual men across the state of California,” reads the official statement… Neighbors describe the suspect as a quiet middle-aged man who was often seen driving in and out of his garage but seems to have had visitors to his home. “We just though he was a very private man,” notes one concerned neighbor… The string of killings has raised sympathy for and awareness of the BLUTAG community in California and the United States, albeit in the worst and most tragic of ways...

The Los Angeles Times, 9/5/1974

JUVENILE JUSTICE AND DELINQUENCY PREVENTION BILL SIGNED INTO LAW TODAY

Biaggi Claims New Law Will Do Little To Inhibit “Dangerous Young Punks”

The New York Times, 9/7/1974

COLONEL SANDERS TURNS 84 TODAY

7dHI6B4.png

[pic: imgur.com/7dHI6B4.png ]

The Washington Times, side article, 9/9/1974

It was clear that, after 45 years in power, Haile Selassie would soon be out of a job. The Wollo Famine, the inflation and economic recession brought about by the rippling effects of the 1973 oil crisis, and the rising riotous resentment felt towards the King among a majority of the people all created the conditions necessary for the Derg to come to power. The Derg, a Soviet-backed communist military junta, overthrew the 7,004-year-old monarchy, prompting the 83-year-old King to flee to Oman, an adamantly neutral country during the Cold War.

In the United States, public reaction to the military junta led to criticism of their President’s handling of foreign affairs. After the Cuban and Indochina Wars that successfully propelled communist elements from four nations, polls showed many expected the hubristic U.S. to send troops to Ethiopia. When their leader, President Mondale, only admonished the junta for their violent rise to power, his approval ratings dropped among both “dove” and “hawk” Americans. The former group wanted the President to treat the junta as a humanitarian crisis, while the latter group supported military intervention; thus, both groups considered his ignoring of the event to be weak.

– Saheed A. Adejumobi’s The History of Ethiopia, Greenwood Press, 2007

AS MIDTERMS NEAR, SENATE DEBATES PASSING NEW CIVIL RIGHTS BILL

The Houston Chronicle, 9/22/1974

…Mondale welcomed West Germany’s Chancellor Helmut Schmidt to D.C. in September to boost strengthen relations with that country. This meeting was also met with criticism, as reporters observed the lack of any discussion on the Berlin Wall (their conversation instead mainly focused on trade and commerce), which only reinforced the notion that Mondale was ignoring some troubled parts of the world such as Berlin, while unnecessarily interfering in other parts such as Israel and Egypt…

– Joseph Walker Barr’s The Mulling Minnesotan: Mondale’s Military Moments, Borders Books, 1994

…A new Gallup polls shows that most Americans do not approve of the President’s handling of foreign affairs. 57% of Americans polled ranked the President’s foreign policy as “poor,” 30% as ranked his handling as “well,” and 13% ranked it as “unsure”…

– The Overmyer Network, 10/3/1974

KILDUFF: The United States is maintaining fair relations with the nations of Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. In fact, the President is currently meeting with the Ambassador from Chad.

DAVID BRODER (Washington Post): Speaking of which, is it true the US is establishing warmer relations with Chad over the uranium deposits found in the Aouzou strip area that Chad and Libya are at war over?

KILDUFF: No, we have offered to establish relations with Libya’s leader, uh, Muammar Ghaddafi, and he has been less responsive than Chad, that’s all.

DAN RATHER (CBS News): What about the civil war developing in Ethiopia?

KILDUFF: That is a regional issue, Dan.

– Transcript of dialogue from WH press briefing between WH Press Secretary Malcolm MacGregor “Mac” Kilduff Jr. and the WH Press Corp, 10/5/1974

WHO ELSE THINKS REAGAN IS UNWORTHY OF A SECOND TERM?

…his fiscal policies are dangerous and his social policies are oppressive…

The Sacramento Union, op-ed by Ted Kennedy, 10/9/1974

The rise in Wyoming’s population starting in the 1970s can be accredited to the actions of Governors Teno Roncalio and Thyra Thomson.

Roncalio was a tax-and-spent Democrat, but was otherwise a middle-of-the-road moderate. His investments of taxpayer money into roads, hospitals and affordable housing made the state alluring to urban Americans yearning for the romanticized life of the country. Roncalio significantly reorganized the state government and passed of new environmental laws regulating higher air and water quality standards, and higher surface mining standards. Roncalio improved the state’s economy by increasing the quality of state parks, and actively promoted tourism on the belief that more people would move to Wyoming if they were exposed to it. This led to the start of Wyoming’s rise in population.

After twelve years as the state’s Secretary of State, Thomson ran for Governor in 1974. Facing off against Edgar Herschler in the general election, Thomson called for the regulating of sales of new issues of securities in order for Wyoming investors to have “a fair balance between risk and reward” in mid-October 1974. This issue appealed to Wyoming business owners, and lured wealthy, out-of-state political backers to her campaign in the weeks leading up to election day. These backers of her forward-thinking campaign helped Thomson be elected the state’s second female Governor in a landslide.

Governor Thomson worked to improve Wyoming’s economy through international relationships. In 1975, she person traveled to Taiwan to promote Wyoming products at the non-federal USA-ROC Trade Forum and in doing so was instrumental in Taiwan's purchasing of one-fifth of the State's entire wheat crop in 1976. Seeking further foreign trade agreements for the benefit of her state, Thomson courted businesses in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Egypt, and secured summer scholarships for Wyoming High school seniors to Jordan, Tunisia, and Egypt in 1977.

Domestically, in 1975, Thomson enacted the state’s first mineral severance tax; during the energy boom experienced across the rural western states during the late 1970s, provided the funds for constructing highways, schools, and other public infrastructure projects that continued to make Wyoming an appeal place to move to. Additionally, in 1976, Thomson established a Permanent Mineral Fund very much akin to Alaska’s own oil-based Permanent Dividend Fund, in that it imposed a 1% tax on the extraction of minerals in the state and the proceeds being distributed evenly to all registered Wyoming residents regardless of their wealth. This made Wyoming only the second US state to establish an across-the-board income assistance dividend system.

The policies of Roncalio, Thomson and (some of) their successors allowed Wyoming to see its population increase 41.0% between 1970 and 1980 [11], and to continue on well past the 1980s…

– Welcome to the Big River Flat: The History of Wyoming, Victory Publications, 2019

SENATE PASSES CIVIL RIGHTS ACT, 75-11-4; Mondale To Sign It Into Law “Soon”

…while the 1962 Civil Rights Act of 1962 prohibits discrimination “based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin by federal and state governments,” this new act will prohibit discrimination “in sale, rental, and financing of housing, transportation vehicles and secondary education necessities based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin.” Senator Norris Cotton, alongside Senator Strom Thurmond, Peter Dominick, and Joseph Bottum, lead the “nay” vote in the Senate on the grounds that the act is too detrimental to businesspersons. “This will outright remove the right of businesspersons to refuse service at all, creating an imbalance in the buyer-seller relationship where people will have no power their own stores,” Dominick said in defense of his “nay” vote earlier today. Curiously, Senator Barry Goldwater, who uncharacteristically took a back seat of sorts during the debating segment of the law-making process, joined three other Senators in abstaining from voting on the bill…

The Chicago Tribune, 10/17/1974

On October 23, 1974, the International Olympic Committee held their 75th meeting in Vienna, Austria. To allow both American and Soviet athletes to compete in both the Winter and Summer games of 1980, a deal is made: the US’s Lake Placid is selected to host the Winter Olympics, while the USSR’s Moscow is selected to host the Summer Olympics. South Africa was once again banned from the Olympics due to their continuation of Apartheid.

– onthisdayinhistory.co.uk

NEVER BEFORE HAVE WE BEEN SO CLOSE!: THE EQUAL RIGHTS AMENDMENT IS ALMOST HERE!
Only Four More States Need To Ratify!
When you vote on November 5, vote in a state legislature that understands the need for fair and equal treatment for women!

– brochure distributed in several states by the National Organization for Women, c. late October 1974

“Who you look out for depends on who you are. Not everyone has a congregation, or debt holders, or employees, or stockholders to look out for. But we are all Americans, and it is the patriotic duty of all of us to look out for each other. To look out for our country, fellow citizens, our impact on the world and our allies overseas, and of course, the people we love, family and friends. What makes us South Carolinans so great is our conviction to our patriotic duty to look out for one another. And on Tuesday the Fifth, I hope y’all look out for my name on your ballot.”

– Former Ambassador to Laos William Westmoreland at a campaign rally, 10/29/1974

United States Senate election results, 1974
Date: November 5, 1974
Seats: 34 of 100
Seats needed for majority: 51
Senate majority leader: Mike Mansfield (D-MT)
Senate minority leader: Howard Baker (R-TN)
Seats before election: 54 (D), 45 (R), 1 (I)
Seats after election: 52 (D), 47 (R), 1 (I)
Seat change: D v 2, R ^ 2, 0 - I

Full List:
Alabama: incumbent James D. Martin (R) over Clair Chisler (D) and Sam Engelhardt (HIP)
Alaska: Clark Gruening (D) over incumbent appointee Ted Stevens (R)
Arizona: incumbent Paul Fannin (R) over Jonathan Marshall (D)
Arkansas: Dale Bumpers (D) over John Harris Jones (R); incumbent J. William Fulbright (D) retired
California: incumbent Thomas H. Kuchel (R) over Kenneth Frederick Hahn (D) and Gayle Justice (NM)
Colorado: George L. Brown (D) over incumbent Peter H. Dominick (R) and Henry John Olshaw (HIP)
Connecticut: incumbent Abraham A. Ribicoff (D) over James H. Brannen III (R) and Arthur F. Capozzi Jr. (Country)
Florida: incumbent William Cato “Bill” Cramer Sr. (R) over LeRoy Collins Sr. (D) and Thomas Burton Adams Jr. (HIP)
Georgia: incumbent John William Davis (D) over Jerry Johnson (R)
Hawaii: incumbent Daniel K. Inouye (D) over James D. Kimmel (R)
Idaho: incumbent Frank Church (D) over Robert L. Smith (R)
Illinois: incumbent Adlai Stevenson (D) over George M. Burditt (R)
Indiana: Richard Lugar (R) over incumbent Birch Bayh (D)
Iowa: incumbent Harold Hughes (D) over David M. Stanley (R)
Kansas: incumbent Bob Dole (R) over Bill Roy (D)
Kentucky: incumbent Thruston B. Morton (R) over Wendell Ford (D)
Louisiana: incumbent Russell B. Long (D) unopposed
Maryland: incumbent Charles Mathias Jr. (R) over Barbara Mikulski (D)
Missouri: Thomas B. Curtis (R) over incumbent Edward V. Long (D)
Nevada: Barbara Vucanovich (R) over Mike O’Callaghan (D) and Jack C. Doyle (HIP); incumbent Alan Bible (D) retired
New Hampshire: incumbent Norris Cotton (R) over John A. Durkin (D) and Carmen C. Chimento (HIP)
New York: incumbent Jacob K. Javits (R) over Lee Alexander (D) and Barbara A. Keating (Conservative)
North Carolina: Nick Galifianikis (D) over Wood Hall Young (R) and William Stevens (Country); incumbent Sam Ervin (D) retired
North Dakota: incumbent Milton R. Young (R) over James R. Jungroth (D) and Kenneth C. Gardiner (Country)
Ohio: incumbent William B. Saxbe (R) over Howard Metzenbaum (D)
Oklahoma: incumbent Henry Bellmon (R) over Ed Edmondson (D)
Oregon: Tom McCall (R) over Betty Roberts (D); incumbent appointee Earl T. Newbry (R) retired
Pennsylvania: Bob Casey (D) over incumbent Herman T. Schneebeli (R)
South Carolina: incumbent Ernest Hollings (D) over Gwenyfred Bush (R)
South Dakota: George McGovern (D) over incumbent Joseph H. Bottum (R)
Utah: Jake Garn (R) over Wayne Owens (D), Utah Phillips (I) and Kenneth Rex Larsen (HIP); incumbent Wallace F. Bennett (R) retired
Vermont: incumbent George D. Aiken (R) over Nathaniel Frothingham (D)
Washington: Daniel J. Evans (R) over incumbent Warren G. Magnuson (D)
Wisconsin: Roman Blenski (R) over incumbent appointee Gaylord Nelson (D)

– knowledgepolitics.co.usa

ED BROOKE CROSSES AISLE TO CONGRATULATE AFRICAN-AMERICAN SENATOR-ELECT

…George L. Brown (D-CO) will become the second African-American Democrat to serve in the Senate, and the fifth African-American to serve in the US Senate overall. Additionally, for the first time ever, three African-American men will be serving in the US Senate at the same time come January 3, 1975 (Brown, Brooke, and John LeFlore of Alabama)…

The Washington Post, 11/5/1974

…The President has led the nation through a troublesome couple of years, and tonight the voters have clearly shown that a majority of them believe that his performance could have been better...

– CBS Evening News, 11/5/1974 broadcast

United States House of Representatives results, 1974
Seats: All 437
Seats needed for majority: 218
House majority leader: Charles Halleck (R-IN) (retiring)
House minority leader: Mo Udall (D-AZ)
Last election: 209 (R), 228 (D)
Seats won: 225 (R), 212 (D)
Seat change: R ^ 16, D v 16

United States Governor election results, 1974
State governorship elections held: 35
Seats before: 37 (D), 13 (R), 1 (HIP)
Seats after: 32 (D), 18 (R), 0 (HIP)
Seat change: D v 5, R ^ 5, v 1

Full List:
Alabama: Jeremiah Denton (R) over Richmond Flowers Sr. (D); incumbent Sam Engelhardt (HIP) was term-limited
Alaska: incumbent Jay Hammond (R) over Chancey Croft (D) and Joe Vogler (I)
Arizona: Sam Steiger (R) over incumbent Raul Hector Castro (D) and Jack Ross (I)
Arkansas: David Pryor (D) over Frank D. White (R); incumbent Dale Bumpers (D) retired
California: incumbent Ronald Reagan (R) over Robert Moretti (D) and Elizabeth Keathley (NM)
Colorado: Rick Lamm (D) over John David Vanderhoof (R) and Earl Dodge (Prohibition); incumbent John Arthur Love (R) retired
Connecticut: Ella T. Grasso (D) over incumbent Fiske Ventres (R)
Florida: incumbent Louis A. Bafalis (R) over Wayne Mixson (D)
Georgia: Bert Lance (D) over Ronny Thompson (R); incumbent Lester Maddox (D) was term-limited
Hawaii: incumbent Thomas Ponce Gill (D) over Randolph Crossley (R)
Idaho: Jay S. Amyx (R) over Vernon Ravenscroft (D); incumbent Charles Herndon (D) retired
Iowa: incumbent Armour Boot (D) over Arthur Alan Neu (R)
Kansas: Robert Frederick Bennett (R) over Vern Miller (D) and Marshall Uncapher (Prohibition); incumbent Robert B. Docking (D) retired
Maine: incumbent Peter N. Kyros (D) over James B. Longley (I) and James Erwin (R)
Maryland: incumbent Marvin Mandel (D) over Louise Gore (R)
Massachusetts: incumbent Pierre Salinger (D) over John Frederick Collins (R)
Michigan: incumbent Martha Griffiths (D) over Marvin Leonel Esch (R)
Minnesota: Odin Langen (R) over Edward J. Gearty (DFL); incumbent Coya Knutson (DFL) retired
Nebraska: incumbent J. James Exon (D) over Richard D. Marvel (R) and Ernie Chambers (I)
Nevada: incumbent Rex Bell Jr. (R) over Henry W. “Hank” Thornley (D)
New Hampshire: incumbent Malcolm McLane (D) over David L. Nixon (R)
New Mexico: Jerry Apodaca (D) over Pete Domenici (R) and Gene Gonzales (LRU); incumbent Bruce King (D) was term-limited
New York: incumbent Mario Biaggi (D/Conservative) over Peter A. Peyser (R/Liberal)
Ohio: incumbent Buz Lukens (R) over Robert E. Sweeney (D)
Oklahoma: incumbent David Hall (D) over Jim Inhofe (R)
Oregon: Edith Green (D) over Wendell Wyatt (R); incumbent Tom McCall (R) was term-limited
Pennsylvania: Martin P. Mullen (D) over Drew Lewis (R); incumbent Milton Shapp (D) was term-limited
Rhode Island: incumbent J. Joseph Garrahy (D) over James Nugent (R)
South Carolina: William Westmoreland (R) over William Jennings Bryan Dorn (D); incumbent John West (D) was term-limited
South Dakota: Benjamin “Ben” (Lone Feather) Reifel (R) over Richard F. Kneip (D) and John E. Olson (Country); incumbent George McGovern (D) retired
Tennessee: Lamar Alexander (R) over Ray Blanton (D); incumbent Frank G. Clement (D) was term-limited
Texas: incumbent Frances Farenthold (D) over Jim Granberry (R) and Ramsey Muniz (LRU)
Vermont: Harry H. Cooley (D) over Walter L. Kennedy (R); incumbent Consuelo Bailey (R) retired
Wisconsin: Bronson LaFollette (D) over Bill Dyke (R); incumbent Pat Lucey (D) was term-limited
Wyoming: Thyra Thomson (R) over Edgar Herschler (D); incumbent Teno Roncalio (D) retired

Reagan was only elected to a second term by a margin of 4.2%. While initially popular, he was increasingly scrutinized for the annual budget, his handling of the economy, his tax plans, his seemingly abandonment of environmental protection, and the worsening of Latino-American working and living conditions under his watch. Reagan was especially criticized for his response to the "BLUTAG Butcherer" serial killings of 1974. A 1975 investigative report revealed that in the immediate aftermath of the murders, the Governor was more concerned with how the murders would affect his “law-and-order” image. However, Reagan's Democratic opponent in the race, Robert Moretti, may have scared away some undecided voters by appearing “too supportive of that group of people,” most notably by meeting with local political activist Harvey Milk, an outspoken BLUTAGer, in the aftermath of the killer being captured. …The Golden Era of the Natural Mind party seemed to be nearing its end that year, as its gubernatorial nominee Elizabeth Keathley won only 3.1% of the vote, a noticeable drop in support from the 6.4% Tim Leary had won in 1970...

– Anne Meagher Northup’s Chicken and Politickin’: the Rise of Colonel Sanders and Rational Conservatism in the Republican Party, 2015

“THE COMEBACK COP!”: Biaggi Wins Re-Election In Upset

…After barely winning the Democratic and Conservative party nominations, the embattled Governor faced off against US Representative Peter A. Peyser of both the Republican Party and the Liberal Party. A serious challenger in August – when he was outpolling Biaggi at an average of ten percent – Peyser failed to combat Biaggi’s active campaign in which he visited every county in the state and repeatedly met with prominent Black politicians to curb allegations of racism tied to the Attica Prison Massacre… Distancing himself from President Mondale, who is currently averaging at 48-percent in approval ratings, may have helped Biaggi’s campaign pull off last night’s three-percent margin of victory.

The New York Times, 11/5/1974

HlsQKNd.png

[pic: imgur.com / HlsQKNd ]

– Colonel Sanders with a young fan, near Tallahassee, FL, c. mid-November 1974

…a Colorado Springs resident identified as a one Freddie Lee Glenn has been killed in a shoot-out with police officers after police witnessed him attempting to kidnap a local resident working at Four Seasons hotel just as a police cruiser was driving by; the man who was nearly kidnapped was injured, but survived, while Glenn was chased down a nearby street and became cornered behind a dumpster...

– KOAA-TV, Colorado TV station, NBC, 11/21/1974 broadcast

HOW NEW BILL SIGNED INTO LAW WILL IMPACT INDUSTRY

…Emissions trading is a new market-based approach to controlling pollution by providing economic incentives for companies to achieve reductions in the pollutants they emit…

The Wall Street Journal, 12/2/1974

The Soviet Moon landing had put a strain on the nation’s economy as the program had siphoned off too much money, manpower, and resources from state-directed agricultural projects. As a serious consequence of this mismanagement, the wintry months of early and late 1974 and early 1975 saw hundreds starve. Kosygin soon agreed with Agriculture Secretary Alex Yakovlev and looked to the breadbasket of the west…

– Alexander Korzhakov’s autobiography From Dawn to Dusk: A Cutthroat Career, St. Petersburg Press, 1997

…After the 1974 report found minimal change in American smoking habits, Mondale met with safety and health advisors and professionals, and came to conclude that long-term benefits outweighed short-term controversy. The narrowly-passed December 1974 Comprehensive Public Health Smoking Act outright banned TV and Radio advertisements of cigars and cigarettes, and mandated larger print ratios for advertisements in nationwide and/or daily newspapers. Conservative pundits vehemently opposed the law over claims that prohibiting private companies from promoting harmful products was “unveiled socialism,” as Senator Hank Hibbard (R-MT) called it. The most controversial detail of the law was its banning of smoking on the premises of all federally-funded public schools, by which some teachers felt “betrayed” according to a 1975 study conducted by the federal Department of Education. As later DoE studies proved, the act led to less students and teacher smoking on school grounds, but also led to more students (and even some teachers) smoking off-grounds via playing hooky or waiting until after school to smoke. While the school detail did little to combat smoking, the elimination of advertising was highly effective in the long-term.

– C. Everett Koop and Lisa Bero’s The Cigarette Papers, University of California Press, 1996

DISNEY’S THE SNOW QUEEN WILL WARM YOUR HEART

…the iconic studio has released an instant classic, with dynamic and fun characters, and stunning visual effects… The plot impressively condenses Hans Christian Anderson’s lengthy epic into an 80-minute journey that never lags nor feels rushed… The hand-drawn Anna, the Snow Queen (portrayed marvelously by the award-winning singer Dottie West), and the rest of the characters interact impressively with beautifully painted backgrounds that capture the majesty of Scandinavian winter…

Variety magazine, 12/20/1974

CDXsXTY.png

[pic: imgur.com/CDXsXTY.png ]
– Teaser poster for Disney’s The Snow Queen [12]

CAST:
Anna: Dana Laurita (note: Anna was named “Gerda” in the original story from 1844)
Kristoff: Billy Whitaker (note: Kristoff was named “Kai” in the original story from 1844)
The Snow Queen: Dottie West
Hans the Head Troll: Fernando Rey
Mugren the Troll: Candy Candido (note: this “villain’s sidekick” character did not exist in the original story from 1844)
Anna’s Grandma: Shirley Booth
Gamelkone the Good Witch: Agnes Moorehead (note: the film was released six months after Moorehead’s death)
Sven the Robber Baron: John Amos
The Crows: Alan Young, J. Pat O’Malley and Paul Fiedler
The Prince and Princess: Frederic Fenimore Forrest Jr. and Lynn Anderson
Bae the Reindeer: Frank Welker (note: Bae is often called Anna’s “animal sidekick”)
Finn and Lapp: Faye Dunaway and Ford Rainey
Additional Voices: see list

– www.mediarchives.co.usa/The_Snow_Queen_(disambiguation)/Disney’s_The_Snow_Queen

DISNEY’S LATEST FEATURE IS STILL DOMINATING THE BOX OFFICE!

The Wall Street Journal, Monday 12/28/1974

NOTE(S)/SOURCE(S)
[1] Italicized parts all from this informative source here: https://web.archive.org/web/20140423045238/http://www.armstrong.edu/Initiatives/history_journal/history_journal_west_meets_east_kfc_and_its_success_in_china
[2] Parts in italics are quotes from this article: https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/why-colonel-sanders-is-the-ultimate-supersoldier/news-story/1f5389dbdcb3e63612ba2bc8b07241be
[3] Italicized portions are pulled from here: www.bittersoutherner.com/ollies-trolley-worlds-greatest-hamburger
[4] Donald DeFreeze is not a member of the this group because in this timeline, he failed to escape prison in March 1973 (since he’s only in his first term here, Reagan decides to enforce his law-and-order image by increasing funding for state prisons, leading to a guard being present during DeFreeze’s activities during the day of his OTL escape), and so never formed the Symbionese Liberation Army with members of the Venceremos Organization.
[5] Passage directly taken from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Super_Outbreak#Events_and_aftermath
[6] Lines pulled from here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/25/newsid_4754000/4754581.stm
[7] In OTL, she was in a serious relationship when she was a teenager with a man in his 20s who died in a car accident; here, he doesn’t die, they marry, and she has two children before needing to have her ovaries removed like IOTL. Of course, she still suffers from some bouts of depression because depression is a lot more complicated than “no longer being lonely,” but at least she’s not suicidal here; instead, she gets treated for a bipolar disorder in the early 1980s, but that’s for a later chapter...
[8] Really!: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2153-3490.1956.tb01206.x/abstract
[9] Text in italics taken verbatim from OTL obituary: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7aNVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OOADAAAAIBAJ&pg=6234%2C4792927
[10] The last lines of his OTL 1966 autobiographical book.
[11] Wyoming’s population apparently jumped 41.3% between 1970 and 1980 IOTL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming#Population; the state’s governors during those years were Stan Hathaway and Edgar Herschler. According to Wikipedia, Hathaway created the state’s “Department of Recreation to oversee and improve care of state parks and to provide support for Wyoming's tourism industry, and a Department of Economic Planning and Development to promote economic growth in the state. Wyoming's economy had been in the doldrums when Hathaway was elected governor, but he set in motion a number of initiatives which turned the economy around and saw it booming by the time he left office.” Wikipedia also states that Herschler was in office “during the 1970s energy boom which nearly doubled the Wyoming population in a decade. Coal mining began in earnest…during Herschler's first term [1975-1979], and severance tax revenue from this development provided funding for construction of modern highways, schools and other public infrastructure.”

[12] Here is a “dark” version of this poster, in case anyone was interested:
L2yZgjg.png

(pic: imgur.com/L2yZgjg.png )

Thanks for all the comments!:
So KFC was the answer to world peace? If only KFC existed in Sarajevo, then Gavrillo Princip might've gone there instead of the sandwich shop he went to.
Should the Colonel invest time and money into hiring a team of scientists who'll invent the time machine for him, just so he can sell KFC in 1914 Sarajevo? :)
that monarchy has been around for a while
At least it reached the 7,000-years milestone...
@gap80 unless I missed something, which I could have, Minnesota does not have term limits on governors, they usually stand down after two full terms.
Ooh, you're quite right; I've amended that to "retired"
I'm guessing Mr. Chicken is going to have one hell of a post-Presidency.
Oh yes indeed!
Big fan, hoping for an Australian nod at one point. We are after all the home of Red Rooster, Chicken Treat, Oporto and Chooks Fresh and Tasty.
Well since Red Rooster began franchising in 1979 (maybe earlier here due to inspiration from the success of KFC franchising?), Chicken Treat not being founded until 1976, Oporto not opening until 1986, and Chooks not existing until 1991, I'll cover the first two in the late '70s (1977 or so).
Interesting to see a Mondale Presidency - and a kid in a White House, which is always nice. Fun to see the "New Ideas" bit since that was something he chided his opponent about having no meat to in the '84 primaries.

Good to see Robert Kennedy and Lady Bird active in different roles.

Looks like the Colonel is staying really active.

Yep, yep, yep, and yep.
Did Elvis still marry Priscilla TTL? Or has he found someone else?
No, he still ended up with her.
Good to see another update!

What's been decided regarding baseball expansion ITTL?
You mean the 1969 expansion? Basically the same as IOTL, albeit with the Colonels being an increasingly prominent team, free agency being a bigger thing, etc....

1) Another interesting update.

2) Did Powell go all Thatcher during his time in office? Deindustrialization and privitization would be very risky given that Britain still had a decent industrial base at the time. No wonder he is unpopular. Did he keep the NHS though or ditch it?

3) Dingle: Only just becoming Leader and already PM?

4) Northern Ireland: During the 1960s, the American Federation of Teachers and the National Education Association - these do not sound like British Unions.

5) Black September: "CIA snipers removed four of the terrorists before the local military stormed the embassy, killing the remaining hostages in the basement, presumably moments before they could murder all the hostages. In the skirmish, two hostages were injured by friendly fire, but made full recoveries." - presumably they killed all the kidnappers in the basement?

6) Good news regarding Afghanistan. Long term effects there.

7) Interesting variant on the Middle Eastern oil wars there. Saudi will play hardball with the West. What did Iraq and Iran do?

8) KFC in China? Well why not. Is there one in Hong Kong already?

9) Elvis alive in 93 due to the Colonel? Awesome.

10) Heh... Hillary still ends up a Clinton

11) Is Mondale going to stop NYC turning into the Hellhole it was in the 80's?

12) Amtrak Improvement Bill - High speed rail?

13) Soviets on the Moon = fantastic, that should galvanise NASA. Perhaps the President fixes NASA's budget? 1-2% of GDP should give them enough for a Mars shot.

1) Thanks!

2) Yeah he tried to deregulate, decentralize, and privatise several industries, and it proved to be unpopular with unions and the masses. His attempts to replace the National Health Service with an inferior alternate failed in the face of public outrage.

3) The party kind of was in disarray after Prime Minister Stonehouse, and Foot quickly rose to prominence amid the chaos.

4) Whoops - I think I got my notes mixed up for this. Will go back and fix - thank you for bringing this to my attention!

5) Yes.

6) Yep!

7) Iraq stayed out of it after the result of them getting involved in the 1967 Sukkot War. I'll cover Iran and Iraq in 1975, as they signed some interesting treaty IOTL then.

8) Ooh, good question! Not yet, they'll see how well things go in Beijing, first.

9) Thanks!

10) Glad you liked that!

11) He can't predict the future, but his current actions may just do that, perhaps...

12) Maybe!

13) Yep!

Public schools have a very different meaning in the UK, they were almost stamped out when labour were at their zenith, perhaps ITTL they were?
NUT and NAS/UWT were the two main teacher's unions, the former being a little more militant at the time.
Labour still holding on as best they can in the face of Powell trying to stamp them out.
It seems I somehow messed up that entry, so thank you for this info! Will fix!

Thanks again for all the comments, everyone! And stayed tuned for the next update (it should be posted in no less than 14 days)!

Last edited:

RED CHINA WELCOMES K.F.C.!

The New York Times, 2/9/1974

KFC’s entry into China was unprecedented, as was the company’s eventual success. The first KFC in China, a short walking distance from Tiananmen Square, the political heart of traditional and Communist China “opened to the warmest embrace imaginable by the citizens of Beijing.” Unlike any other business in China, Beijing’s first KFC was also unlike any KFC found in the US: “occupying three stories and 12,000 square feet, [the restaurant] had a seating capacity of 500, and a staff of more than 150.” This enterprise was American business with Chinese characteristics. For the Chinese, KFC was novelty and social curiosity, a permanent exhibition on capitalism served with a side of fries. The Western-style food, however, was only one among a myriad of temptations: customers came from miles around to enjoy a new, American way of eating, heralded by a smiling bearded mascot, speedy counter employees, and spotless bathrooms. This new business model was a complete about-face from the Mao’s China of ten years prior, merging foreign innovation and a new prosperity. For China, KFC was the definition of modern.
In its early days, KFC in China was not simply “fast food,” but rather an “exciting, unique, and brand-new experience never before encountered…like taking a tour of American, with all its connotations: political, cultural, time, and space – real or imaginary.” The “idea of KFC” was so distinctive, that many customers at the Beijing flagship restaurant “spent hours talking to each other and gazing out the huge glass window that overlooks a busy commercial street—thereby demonstrating their sophistication to the people who passed by.” One important aspect of this perception of KFC in China is the meaning of fast food. The emergence of KFC by no means marked the beginnings of fast food in China. To the Chinese, fast food or “kuaican,” is synonymous with “hefan,” cheap meals found along every street in major Chinese cities, served out of Styrofoam containers and plastic bags. Judged by this standard, KFC is hardly considered fast food
as far as the people of China are concerned. [1]

M7Fwq5A.png

[pic: https://imgur.com/M7Fwq5A.png (note: please view the ".com" in the corner as a typo)]
– Bo Yibo’s The Dragon and The Eagle: Chinese and American Dances, Daggers and Dinners, English translation, 1998

COLONEL SANDERS: THE ULTIMATE DIPLOMAT?

The Colonel’s decision to break bread with Chairman Mao may have actually been bigger than just a move to make the company stand out in the saturated fast-food market of the 1970s.

According to a new book by historian Joseph Hildebrand, “Our Grand Old Flag: The People Who Love It (And The People Who Hate It),” a possible reason for the Colonel deciding to bring KFC to China was his belief that the sharing of popular culture, namely foods, would tie the people of China and America together, lowering the chances a war occurring between the two nations long after he had died. Hildebrand explains “The ‘capitalist peace theory,’ or the ‘commercial peace theory,’ which in 1996 New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman simply called it ‘the Fast Food thesis,’ simply states the following: ‘No two countries that both have at least one KFC have ever fought a war against each other,’ which has been true ever since KFC exploded into the international food scene in the early 1960s.”

Rebecca Weisser, a researcher at the Centre for Independent Studies, points to prior historical incidents of such consumer-based diplomacy as proof that the Colonel’s idea had merit. “The relative peace globally between 1815 and 1914 is attributed to the dramatic rise of international trade, investment and migration whereas the downward spiral in international trade in the 1930s contributed to the hostilities that led to WWII.” [2]

Tumbleweed Magazine article, e-publication, 11/8/2014

So KFC was the answer to world peace? If only KFC existed in Sarajevo, then Gavrillo Princip might've gone there instead of the sandwich shop he went to.

@gap80 unless I missed something, which I could have, Minnesota does not have term limits on governors, they usually stand down after two full terms.

Yeah, the 1972 election was easily Scranton's to lose. He was an extremely bland candidate with no message and a poor running mate versus a charismatic youngster that tapped into the energy of the left. Though it seems now that Scranton's loss may have been a blessing in disguise for the GOP with how Mondale is becoming TTL's Carter. He seems somewhat okay on domestic, though he is absolutely abysmal in foreign affairs and it seems that he is following his personal whims rather than any core doctrine. The loss of Ethiopia to the Communists while Johnson overturned Cuba and Sanders purged Indochina of the Communists is a major failure in containment. Don't see barring an economic turnaround or a divided GOP on how Mondale can possibly win re-election.

Yesterday California, today Virginia, tomorrow the World. Whataburger's rise to power is surely uncontested. Just to get you an idea on how Whataburger is to us Texans, here in Texas Whataburger is treated as sort of a social event, with people going to Whataburger and having full meals while hanging out with their friends and family. My sister along with many other students at her school went to Whataburger after both prom and homecoming just to eat and hangout. Here in College Station many Aggies love eating at Whataburger as their favorite spot with the drive-thrus being constantly busy, Whataburger bags and drinks appearing on campus, and dozens of students going to Whatabuger at 3 AM every night. So yeah, Whataburger is a big deal to Texas, and I'm so excited to see it become a national phenomenon here.

No two KFC's have ever gone to war hmm. It would be hilarious if there was no War on Terror here because Afghanistan opened up a KFC in Kabul.

It's a major bruh moment when Biaggi gets re-elected in a landslide for fighting off assassins when he was destined to lose over the prison riots. All they did was revive his law and order image while perhaps vindicating his actions at the prison. Has that every fully gone away in the eyes of the public?

Overall the past two updates have been a great joy to read and a perfect start for the post-Sanders era. I really hope to see this all the way to modern day, it's just too fascinating of a world to end when the Colonel dies.

Brain intersects fond memories of time with young cousins with spending 10 minutes with our grandparents just figuring out what 3-4 little kids wanted at a fast food burger place.
Brain combines all those options with exponential addition of a 2nd fast food place with a totally different food selection to chose from.
Brain explodes. :)

The Biaggi caper will be lampooned in late night TV skits and sitcoms for quite a while. Wondering how many references to it or to Biaggi in general will be made in TTL's "Welcome Back, Kotter."

Yeah, I know Gabe Kaplan's career took a different path, but he still was a bit of a troublemaker who went to high school with the chaaracters he invented, including one actually named Arnold Horshack, and he might decide to create it again to show a caring teacher who seeks to keep the Sweathogs from turning out like that. Or, at least he'll tell someone who then uses the idea. In fact, you could argue his swift rise to success means these class clowns will actually improve *faster* TTL. Perhaps instead of just seeming like the most reonsible of them (putting class funds ina bank account, being willing to retake a test even those he won the bet - a game of 21 - against Kotter) - Freddie Washington by the end of season 3 is headed for college on a Young Leaders Scholarship and has a desire to run for Congress someday.

Yeah, and about that 4th season...well, if there's no Kaplan to leave after season 3 and make it bland, it could actually work.

"Barney Miller" will also possible have a few references to Biaggi.

Mondale not as popular right now, but who knows in 2 years. Also will depend on the GOP candidate if he can win re-election.

This is getting into where I started to follow news a bit, living in OHio I vaguely remember hearing some about the Xenia tornadoes though I lived in another part of the state. That picture is worth a thousand words - hard to imagine how distructive that stuff can be.

Speaking of that, I wonder if my TTL self decides he doesn't want to see "THe Snow Queen" because with a girl/woman in the title he figures it's for girls.

Of course, I was reading Nancy Drew mysteries early (I was reading Charlie Browns, etc. at 3 or 4) so I grew out of that stage fast, but I only started reading those about age 7 or 8. (My mom had a lot of them.)

Doug Rau had some very good seasons in '77 and '78 before injuries basically ended his career in '79 with a very brief comeback, so having him be the one to get that surgery makes a lot of sense. And, 1991 sounds good for his retirement given his age - he'd have been 43.

Just thinking, Mash was butterflied even in That Wacky Redhead timeline. It probably is here without the animosity toward the military. That means there's a very good actor and comedian who could replace Gabe Kaplan as the teacher in Welcome Back Kotter. No, not Alan Alda although I think he has the range to do it he would probably prefer something with more drama mixed in. I was thinking Jamie Farr.

Yeah, there's the whole thing with Tony Packo's but what if his wife is from Toledo and they met at Tony Packo's. There could still be plenty of references.

Last edited:
Nice chapter.

Not intervening in Ethiopia is going to Come back and bite Mondale methinks- I bet the Colonel would have had it sorted.

Chapter 40: January 1975 – February 1976
Chapter 40: January 1975 – February 1976

“Death ends a life, but it does not end a relationship”

– playwright Robert Anderson

Air travel in the United States saw a rise in security measures during the US-Cuban War, especially after June 1962, when an American Airlines plane crash sparked fears that Cuban terrorists were targeting American airports [1]. These measurements were deregulated under President Sanders, though many airlines initially opted to maintain the measurements for profit, charging passengers extra for “higher safety features.” However, such attempts to milk their customers as best they could led to many of said customers opting to use cheaper airlines as the decade wore on; the fear of plane bombings dropped as American forces achieved victory overseas in 1965, 1967, 1968 and 1971. By the end of Sanders’ presidency, plane safety features had returned to pre-1961 levels, as did the amount of time Americans spent travelling by air. In 1973, Mondale sought to centralize the air travel industry, but saw little reason to resume security measures.

This all might not sound like it has anything do to with the ISF Virus (or Immunity System Failure Virus), but it actually does highlight how close the United States may have gotten to experiencing an ISF Virus-related health crisis during the 1970s. In 1970, the first case of a Sexually-Acquired ISF Virus, or SA-ISF Virus, was discovered in the form of “Patient Z,” a gay cisgender male citizen of France who had recently traveled to Zambia and other African nations prior to becoming ill in September of that year. Were it not for the restrictive measures that American Airlines still had in place at the time (public safety and sanitation rules that prohibited anyone demonstrating “suspicious behavior” from flying), Patient Z, who was denied a plane ticket due to looking visibly unwell in May of that year, would have been allowed onto a flight bound for Miami. According to the in-depth documentary “If Words Could Kill,” Patient Z’s behavior made airport security suspect he was “some sort of terrorist, likely a member of the Malcolm X-Men organization.” Ironically, this discriminatory profiling of the dark-skinned French citizen prevented Patient Z from bringing ISF-V to the United States.

Instead, the first confirmed case of an American with the ISF Virus did not occur until January 1974, when “Johnny One” of California was admitted to a hospital in San Francisco. The two incidents were confirmed to be of the same virus in January 1975; under the watch of French President Francois Mitterrand, aided by his convivial relationship with President Mondale, French scientists had begun to lead the charge to uncover the cause of the then-mysterious virus starting in mid-1974. Dr. Robert Gallo oversaw the studies of the virus in both France and the US concerning Patient Z, Johnny One, and, beginning in 1976, Norway’s “Arvid Noe.” Gallo was joined by two more French virologists who would prove invaluable to their search for understanding the virus that was affecting these and dozens of other men: Francoise Barre-Sinoussi, a young straight cisgender female French virologist, discovered correlations among victims in late 1974, and Luc Montagnier, a young straight cisgender male French virologist also began working on isolating the cause after being called in for assistance by hospital administrators observing Johnny One’s condition in 1974.

– Brandon Teena’s The Rise of BLUTAG Rights: The Story of the Bi-Lesbian-Undefined-Trans-Asexual-Gay Movement, Scholastic, 2019

Do You Support American Military Intervention in Ethiopia?
Yes: 53%
No: 40%
Not Sure: 7%

– Gallup Poll, 1/2/1975

Mondale sat behind the desk and sighed. The attacks from political war hawks, the media, and opinion polling was making him re-assess him position on Ethiopia to the frustration of his cabinet. The calls for the US to engage in a proxy war with the Soviets, despite the ongoing period of détente, was understandable given the attitudes of the time – the sentiment that America had never lost a war and never would was still very strong, even with the remaining voices of the shoutniks hollering and screaming that American intervention was irresponsible and villainous. One of the most prominent of those voices was the Vice President.

“Fritz, sending our men over there to kill and be killed would all sorts of wrong! We’d be throwing away years of good relations with the Soviets. And think of the innocent people who always get caught in the crossfire!” pleaded Gravel.

Secretary of State Philleo Nash, who was pushing for a US-led diplomatic armistice to be signed in the troubled country on the horn of Africa by the end of the year, opined, “Plus, if there’s one thing Ethiopians don’t like, it’s white imperialists entering their continent and trying to tell them what to do.”

“Our very presence in Africa would cause Malcolm X to call all of us ‘racists,’ and he still has some weight to his name,” noted Attorney General Clark. “It could hurt your poll numbers among African-Americans.”

“So would letting the Ethiopians get slaughtered under some backwards Communist regime,” suggested Defense Secretary Davis, the highest-ranking African-American member of the cabinet. “If we save the lives of thousands with the deaths of half as many, is that not a battle won.”

“Americans would never settle for a Pyrrhic victory,” Mondale noted. “If you go in, we go in for it all.”

Gravel again made his case, this time asking “And how would the Soviets counter? By supporting rebels in some other country? And then what, we just keep hopping around from nation to nation until the whole planet sees Americans as bringer of war?”

“If we let Ethiopia fall, there’s no telling how much of Africa will follow. Tensions in South Africa over Apartheid is the perfect breeding for a second Ethiopian Situation,” Davis countered. “Fighting for peace is an uncomfortable reality of our times, Mike.”

Gravel grasped at another straw, “Well strategically it’s risky. Look at the map – our closest ally in the region is Israel all the way on the other side of the Middle East. The only place closer is Djibouti, and they’re allied with France, and Mitterrand’s against intervention, too.”

Davis brushed off the concerns with historic precedence: “We had supporters in Indochina; we’ll find supporters in Ethiopia.”

For what it was worth, Secretary Kennedy summed up Davis’ perspective on the situation with a quote from Aristotle: “We make war that we may live in peace.”

Then Mondale remembered the Wheat Proposal. Initially brought to him through Gravel, the USSR needed to feed their factory workers, but plans were still in the air. “How about this, Mike – leverage. The Soviets still want that wheat deal, right?”

“Yes,” Gravel confirmed.

“If they withdrew their support, or at the least, turned a blind eye to our troops going over there, they can have a slice of our breadbasket.”

Gravel remarked, “What?”

Scanning the room, Mondale called out, “Joe?”

“Right here, sir,” the US Ambassador to the USSR Joe Karth said, standing up from the far end of the side couch, “I’ll see what can be arranged.”

“Good, and get Kosygin on the phone when you do.”

Gravel was torn and outraged over the turn of events, later privately lamenting to Secretary Kennedy “I wanted to feed my fellow man, but now it’ll happen with the blood of other men?” It would be a moral dilemma that would bite at the back of Gravel’s mind as the months continued.

– Rick Perlstein’s Majestic Melees: The Trials and Crises of the Fritz Mondale Presidency, Simon & Schuster, 2019

FRITZ ENDS THE GOLD STANDARD ERA

By Paul Lewis

Washington, DC – Early today, President Mondale took the US off the gold standard via directing his Treasury Secretary, Robert Roosa, to unilaterally cancel direct international convertibility of the US dollar to gold. In a short announcement, Mondale explained the decision was made in order to address the fiscal strain of the expanded “welfare state” programs and lingering federal expenditures for the Indochina Wars, and to combat both inflation and the negative aspects of “hectic nature” of the Gold Standard system itself.

[snip]

Fritz’s predecessor, President Colonel Sanders, has called the cancellation “a huge mistake.” Sanders was a firm supporter of the Gold Standard, calling it “a tangible anchor” the economy needed to have in order to “function the right way.” Sanders credited this view of the economy for the ending of the Salad Oil recession and for how Kentucky, during his time as Governor, went through the 1959 recession largely unscathed.

The New York Times, 1/12/1975

HOUSE DISBANDS H.U.A.C. ON BIPARTISAN LINES

…The controversial committee had lost its usefulness, effectiveness, and popularity… Basic elements of the committee will be re-organized into a new committee, reportedly to be named “The Committee on Internal Security”…

Sarasota Herald-Tribune, 1/14/1975

MONDALE CALLS FOR UNITY IN OPTIMISTIC STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS; APPROVAL RATINGS HOVER AT 50%

The Washington Post, 1/15/1975

CIA DIRECTOR ADMITS AGENCY SPIED ON U.S. CITIZENS FOR YEARS; Testifies To Senate Subcommittee Agency Had Acted “With The Best of Intentions”

The Pittsburgh Press, 1/17/1975

One exceptional argument happened in early February, 1975, over the song compilation for their latest album Check the Marks.

John defended the line-up with “it’s experimental, it’s edgy, it’s what they’ll love to hear.”

Paul exclaimed, “These songs are just too out there, John. And how come most of the songs on the album are largely yours, anyway?”

The fighting became more intense, and at its height, Ringo sought to intervene.

Ringo remarked, “Well we can add one or two more Paul and George song. Of course, we could always use of one my songs, too.”

McCartney blurted out, “You wrote one song for us and it nearly got us all killed.”

The room was silent for a moment as Ringo stayed speechless, shocked at the low blow.

“I’m sorry, mate. Lost my head there for a sec.”

“Paul, we’re a band, we’re a team. We do this together. John gets it. You don’t. What’s doing on with you? You can tell us.”
“We are a band, but a band can’t play two types of music at once.”

Paul’s analysis jabbed at the truth of the matter, that the band member’s ideas and interests were becoming increasingly contrasting and incompatible. The album’s release date was ultimately postponed from March to July – it’s final composition contained an exact-even number of “Paul” songs and “John” songs, plus one song worked on largely by both George and Ringo.

– Pat Sheffield’s Dreams, Reality, and Music: The Love Story of One Band and the Whole Entire World, Tumbleweed Publications, 2000

US TO SEND “ADVISORY TROOPS” TO ETHIOPIA

– The New York Times, 2/3/1975

The Haicheng Earthquake of February 4 killed roughly 2,000 people in northern China. The lack of government relief (as Mao ushered in Chinese New Year (officially called “Spring Festival”) on February 10 with spectacle, exuberance, crapulence and overall lavishness in Beijing) worked to Biao’s advantage, allowing the Gang of Seven to finally begin finding more recruits north of the capital…

The Colonel’s embrace of God’s love continued to build as the Colonel allowed God to change him in many ways. In 1975, Sanders felt God tell him to take a fateful trip to Jordan, where he was baptized at 84 in the River Jordan. [2]

– Mark Pendergrast’s “For God, Country, and Kentucky Fried Chicken,” Perfect Formula Publishing, 2000

22wvxwf.png

[pic: imgur.com/22wvxwf.png ]
– The Colonel being baptized in the River Jordan, in his first visit to the Middle East, 2/9/1975

“That trip was initially a selfish thing, but while I was there I decided to take in a few sights. We traveled to a small city outside of the capitol Amman to inspect a restaurant our guide claimed served the best chicken – which turned out to be a lie, by the way – and I remember, some kind of riot broke out nearby over some sort of religious debate, concerning Palestine, I think. I saw as the police officers all clamored over and my Secret Service friends forcing me indoors but not before I saw people hurting each other. And I thought then and there that to have such passion only for it to be spent of wanton violence and destruction is senseless. It was very upsetting, seeing first-hand how tense things had become over there. According to our guides, the times were only worsening as bad blood continued over from the 1967 and 1973 wars. It was there in that little restaurant that I thought, ‘but I’m a former President. I have influence and connections,’ and decided right then that I would try and do something about it all! Because you can’t let people live in fear and misery any more than you can let a horse live in a doghouse.

And it wasn’t long before I’d hatched an idea…”

– Harland “The Colonel” Sanders, KNN interview, 2/9/1980

After seven years of life under First Secretary Vasil’ Bil’ak, Czechoslovakian shoutnik activism was resuming with a vengeance. On February 20th, the reformers came to power in a bloodless political inner-party coup, taking advantage of Bil’ak’s frosty relationship with Kosigyn to force him into retirement and replace him with Ota Sik. Writer-journalist Ludvik Vaculik subsequently became the nation’s second-in-command.

The first order of business was abolishing censorship, claiming it had outlived its usefulness as “the antagonist bourgeoisie has already been defeated in Czechoslovakia.” A big reversal and a big social change for the people, the “The Forward Programme” placed greater emphasis on consumer goods in order to create a more fulfilling life for the Czechoslovakian people. The shift from Stalin-era focus on heavy industry, raw materials and physical labor to the latest tools and jobs created by scientific and technological achievements was controversial among Communist party leaders in Czechoslovakia and the USSR, but nevertheless allowed by Kosygin. Sik sought to keep it this way by warming relations with both the USSR and US, offering themselves as a place in the Warsaw Pact that Americans could be comfortable visiting while still being a country loyal to the Soviet Union. Sik also sought to shake off the image of his nation being police state in order to increase tourism and investments overall, and, more importantly for the politburo, in order to restore faith in the communist system. The reforms were popular with the masses, and would turn out to effect on geopolitics as the Cold War continued on…

– Maskim Gorky’s Behind the Iron Curtain: The U.S.S.R. And Eastern Europe, Academic International Press, 1980

I just don’t see no use of anybody dying and leaving an estate of half a million or a million dollars when he knows a big percentage of that is going into taxes. A man should get to say exactly what’s done with his fortune if he has worked hard and honestly for it. I say, if you can give back to the community in some way other than taxes, than you are obliged to do so!” [3]

– Colonel Sanders announcing the donation of $250,000 dollars to the local children’s hospital in Louisville, KY, 3/2/1975

IRAN, IRAQ SETTLE BORDER DISPUTES IN ALGIERS ACCORD

Algiers, ALGERIA – After negotiations, Iran’s Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and Iraqi President Abdul Rahman Arif signed a treaty settling several disputes concerning their shares border. Negotiations began two years ago over Iraqi concerns for the rise in Kurdish rebels in the northern and eastern regions of the country. Talks were sporadic but accumulatively productive… …both sides agreed that the border will now follow the demarcation laid out by the 1913 Treaty of Constantinople… International observers hope that this resolution will be a stepping stone in warming relations between the two regional powerhouses… …while both parties have signed the treaty, said treaty will not be ratified for another several months at the earliest. [4]

The Globe and Mail, Canadian newspaper, 3/6/1975

CONSTRUCTION STARTS ON THE TRANS-ALASKA PIPELINE SYSTEM TODAY!

1oZqcM8.png

[pic: imgur.com/1oZqcM8.png ]
Above: Vice President Gravel, with his prepared speech in his right hand, sits atop an uninstalled segment of the pipeline near the site of the groundbreaking ceremony

– The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, 3/9/1975

Governor Reagan borrowed a phrase coined by Will Rogers to describe his second-term policies as those of a “trickle-down tax plan.”

“I just don’t see how this’ll help poor and middle-income folks. Maybe I just don’t get it, but others I’ve shown it to don’t like the looks of it either, so I know I’m not alone on this,” I remember Father remarked “The plan only works if the richest Californians voluntarily do the morally right thing and take the money freed up by their tax breaks and invest it back into the community – give their workers raises and better equipment and safety gear, expand their R & D departments, something that will benefit the lower classes. But morality alone is not enough in the face of more money.”

Father criticized his former Ambassador for creating a “dangerous loophole” by passing such “poorly designed” legislation. Most of Father’s own party, however, seemed to not pay his remarks any mind; Reagan had become a prodigal son of sorts in the eyes of political supporters and conservative leaders such as Senators Orrin Hatch and Paul Laxalt, and the Buckley brothers, respectively.

– Harland David “Harley” Sanders Jr., In the Thick of It: The Story of The Colonel and His Son, Sunrise Publishing, 1991

The communist South Yemen, which from a geographical standpoint, should have been named East Yemen, aided Ethiopia’s communist insurgents, while North Yemen gave tepid support to the anti-communists. As the fighting escalated, Somalians began rebelling to the country’s eastern region, expanding the civil war into a three-sided confrontation. Much of the bloodshed, however, was concentrated around Eritrea, which was the nation’s region to the north…

– Rick Perlstein’s Majestic Melees: The Trials and Crises of the Fritz Mondale Presidency, Simon & Schuster, 2019

On March 25, King Faisal bin Abdulaziz of Saudi Arabia, an anti-Israel reformer whom backed the 1973 O.P.E.C. embargo, was assassinated by his own nephew. The death was a shock to the Western and Muslim worlds, and the potential of causing severe ramifications for the US economy. Many officials in Mondale’s State Department were fearful the new leader, Khalid bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, would reverse the 1974 oil agreement made between Mondale and Faisal. Instead, the new king chose not address the issue – at least, not so soon into his reign – a neither raised the price of oil being sold to American companies, nor dropped it.

– Doris Helen Kearns Goodwin’s Leadership In Turbulent Times, Simon & Schuster, 2018

Ecotopia: The Notebooks and Reports of William Weston
is a seminal utopian novel by Ernest Callenbach, published in 1975. The society described in the book is one of the first ecological utopias and was influential on the counterculture and the green movement in the 1970s and thereafter. The author himself claimed that the society he depicted in the book is not a true utopia (in the sense of a perfect society), but, while guided by societal intentions and values, was imperfect and in-process. [5]

– clickopedia.co.usa/Ecotopia

2,800 ATTEND “FREE THE CHEECH” BENEFIT CONCERT IN FRESNO

The Sacramento Bee, 4/5/1975

COLONEL SANDERS SEEN VISITING U.N. OFFICIALS FOR REASONS UNKNOWN

Associated Press, 4/8/1975

GOLDWATER: You really want to get yourself involved in this?

SANDERS: I know I don’t know that much about the whats and the whys but I can meet with the whos when and wherever and by any whichever way to find out the whats and the whys.

NIXON: What?

GOLDWATER: But it’s a very delicate subject. Even talking about it – you have to be very careful, Colonel. One little slip-up, one generalization or misunderstanding and you’re going to be seen by one group as siding against them.

SANDERS: Well the thing is, Barry, this annual summit won’t be for the radicals who want everything and are okay with killing everyone to get it. This will be for the real Palestinians and the real Israelis – the ones who want peace in the region. Peace for friends, family, children, heck, even their own safety.

NIXON: What exactly do you think you could even accomplish?

SANDERS: At the very least, ya mean?

NIXON: Sure.

SANDERS: At the very least, I hope to discover as much common ground as possible there is to discover, and to bring in as many voices as I can find to try and establish a better way of looking at this situation.

GODWATER: And who’s even going to attend this shindig?

SANDERS: Yeah, about that, Dick?…

NIXON: You lost Kissinger’s phone number, didn’t ya?

SANDERS: Sorry.

NIXON: I got you a rolodex for Christmas three years ago – please use it instead of random loose-leaf paper already.

SANDERS: I’ll try. And I’m gonna try to get as many big names for this thing as I can. It shouldn’t be too hard to get Israel and Palestine to break bread, right?

GOLDWATER: Hoo-boy. Good luck, Colonel. Not even a former President like yourself could change things over there overnight.

SANDERS: That sounds like a challenge. And I never back down from a challenge.

– Colonel Sanders with Senators Goldwater and Nixon, Nixon’s Senate office, 4/11/1975 (recorded on Nixon’s personal tapes; transcript released in 1995)

CRONKITE: Tonight’s top story…former President Colonel Sanders has shocked the political world with the announcement his plans to form what he calls “the Annual Chicken Dinner Peace Summit,” a social gathering meant to promote peace between nations over in the Middle East.

SANDERS (in footage): …I’m hoping for the first summit to be held in Jerusalem sometime later this year. This yearly concentration of peace-loving minds will be to celebrate the similarities found between different cultures and to promote peace between them. I want to host the first summit in Jerusalem because I want to discuss Israeli-Arab-Christian relations in a relaxed and peaceful environment over something that all three religions can get behind: the deliciousness of a good and hearty chicken dinner. The people of the Middle East share many beautiful things – history, land, even traditions. Their respective governments may have different systems and different goals, but in my travels I’ve found most people want the same thing – safety for their family and friends, and to leave behind a better future for their children and grandchildren to live and grow up in.

CRONKITE: The former President’s announcement is already receiving mixed responses in Israel and several Islamic countries and communities…

– CBS Evening News, 4/19/1975 report

I remember how the Jerusalem Post celebrated his “intervention,” while everyone else over there basically declared that Harland had no business, ah – “meddling” – yeah, I think that was the word – yeah, “meddling,” in their affairs. I remember, though, there was some serious talk of representatives from Israel and Jordan being willing to participate, but nothing concrete at the start. Overall, it was a pretty big thing because of how well-known, famous even, Harland was, even all the way over there!

MONDALE SIGNS TRANSPARENCY IN GOVERNMENT BILL INTO LAW

The Washington Post, 4/14/1975

Mondale face a relatively small international incident in April 1975, when a 13-year-old Romanian gymnast and her family defected to the US. The naturally-energetic Nadia Elena Comaneci (born 12 November 1961) began gymnastics in kindergarten and was the youngest gymnast ever to win the Romanian Nationals. While she initially competed under the Romanian banner, her family was falling out of favor with Romania’s dictator Elena Ceausescu, and were fearful of their lives. In March, Ceausescu announced that all sports programs for women would be cancelled in order to promote “traditional household roles.” Comaneci defected with her parents and brother immediately winning gold in the April 1975 European Women’s Artistic Gymnastics Championships in Skien, Norway. Right after the ceremony, the four traveled to the American embassy in Oslo. Famously, Nadia told reporters that she wanted to attend the 1976 Summer Olympics, which were being boycotted by Romania by Elena Ceausescu decree, and to “make proud a country who will give me the chance to try to do the best I can do.”

Romanian officials demanded Nadia and her family be handed over, even threatening to use military action if necessary. How Romania would exactly carry out an attack on Norway was never explained by her government, her defense minister merely stating “it’ll be a surprise.” Russia’s Premier Kosygin, apart from a short speech in which he said he was “disappointed” in the Comaneci family, was silent during the incident. Wanting to end the situation, Mondale ordered the family accompany the US Ambassador back to the US. The media attention commended Mondale’s smooth handling of the incident, and Nadia’s winning of gold medals in the 1976 and 1980 Olympics helped popularized gymnastics across the western world.

– Doris Helen Kearns Goodwin’s Leadership In Turbulent Times, Simon & Schuster, 2018

Both nations kept their allies informed while the scenario’s chief negotiators were instructed to avoid relinquishing “not even half of ‘too much’” during the talks. The Soviet Union’s Foreign Trade Minister concurred with the notion that the deal could stabilize concerns at home, and committed the USSR to purchasing 8 million tons of a year of American grain for the next six years, but for a fraction of the cost. In exchange, Kosygin reluctantly agreed to turn a blind eye to America’s troops in Ethiopia by withholding weapons and supplies from the nation for the six years of the trade deal.

It was the largest deal ever made between the two nations. On May 3rd, the Secretary of Commerce John Emerson Moss announced the deal had been made at a White House Press Conference. In the USSR, Kosygin announced on Russian Television with much enthusiasm that he had secured enough grain to feed the nation’s factor workers: “In America, a great man called Lincoln promised 40 acres and a mule, and a man called Hoover promised a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage; in the Soviet Union, Lenin promised peace, land and bread. Now, both of our nations promise food in every fridge and every freezer with this grain sale agreement.” Neither country would admit to the “blind eye” detail of the agreement for decades.

While Russians overwhelmingly approved, public reception to the deal was mixed in the US. Some, such as retired General William Westmoreland, saw the deal as “a show of weakness,” while others applauded it as a sign of hope for peace between the two nations. Grain farmers were the most upset, though, as the deal affected the price of their grain which was their livelihood…

Lin Biao finally struck on May 4. It was the three-month anniversary of the Haicheng Earthquake. Thousands were dead. The survivors needed help, but none came from the national government. These people were angry and many had little left to lose. Many of these were part of the front lines.

When Lin Biao launched the siege on the Chairman’s palace, it was a two-pronged attack. Supporters from the southern cities attacked from the one direction and the new recruits from Manchuria attacked from the. The siege saw hundreds killed as the initial wave was slowed by Mao guards regrouping. They held off te insurgents just long enough for Mao escape. However, other Mao loyalists were either captured or killed.

Biao declared himself to be the new leader, but most don’t Chinese citizens outside of rural China (where the Cultural Revolution actually increased the quality of life for villagers) did not recognize the regime change as news spread that Mao was still alive. The remained loyal to Mao

Soon the coastal regions saw fighting, as the lines for “battle zones” were drawn on the map. To combat the “treasonous lies seeping through my beloved nation like a virus,” Mao commanded former members of the Red Guard place the major cities and industrial centers on lockdown, establish curfew, and round up and torture any suspected “traitors.” Confident in the popularity of their leader, many Mao loyalists pledged to end the “rebellion” before National Day (October 1)…

…In light of the breakout of warfare among rival communist factions in the People’s Republic of China, Kentucky Fried Chicken Incorporated, over safety concerns, has called back home all of its American citizens employed at the KFC restaurant. However, in an official statement, the company will keep open KFC-Beijing, for, um, quote, “for all Chinese citizens who wish to pick up a good meal instead of a gun,” unquote. Additionally, KFC CEO Mildred Sanders has also announced that Chinese citizens employed by KFC Inc at KFC-Beijing, are, quote, “fully aware of the risk of the ongoing conflicts in China and will not be reprimanded for abandoning their posts if the situation becomes more dire,” unquote…

– NBC News correspondent, 5/12/1975 report

Mondale militarized the US Embassy and ordered all American tourists to return home immediately. Mondale even went as far as to float an idea thought up by Gravel – to offer Mao political asylum – around his inner circle. Mondale believed that increasing US-PRC relations would further intimidate the Soviets and keep the US “on top” as the Cold War continued. Most of his inner circle, however, opposed the notion. Secretaries Kennedy ad Nash were particularly opposed to the notion given Mao’s policies being responsible for the deaths of millions of Chinese people.

The controversial idea was made moot in mid-May when Mao, and the bulk of his loyalists, fled the industrial centers north of Beijing…

– Joseph Walker Barr’s The Mulling Minnesotan: Mondale’s Military Moments, Borders Books, 1994

As 1975, the reverend Jerry Brown became a spiritual advisor to Mondale alongside the President’s brother, effectively pushing out the more conservative Billy Graham from having further major influences inside the White House...

– Mark Pendergrast’s “For God, Country, and Kentucky Fried Chicken,” Perfect Formula Publishing, 2000

NBA Finals: Western Division: Warriors Beat Bulls 4-3, Colonels Beat Celtics 5-1

– The Lexington Herald-Leader, Kentucky newspaper, sports section, 5/25/1975

Chicken Kiev was the UK’s first chilled ready meal and was one of the most iconic foods of the ’70s. At a staff meeting with department leaders in May, the heads at R & D suggested the company latch onto the popular dish by creating and offering chilled already-made KFC meals at supermarkets.

Pops predictably blew a gasket at the idea of lowering his brainchild down to the level of frozen TV dinners, but others around the table wanted to keep it in consideration. For the time being, the proposed project was postponed in the face of a larger issue that was bothering both Pops and the company…

– Margaret Sanders’ The Colonel’s Secret: Eleven Herbs and a Spicy Daughter, StarGroup International, 1997

KFC SUPER-OUTLET DAMAGED IN WAR-TORN BEIJING STREET BATTLE

By David Halberstam

…While the riotous incident between Mao militia members and Biao supporters led to several injuries and dozens of arrests, no Americans, Chinese customers or KFC employees were injured inside the building, as the restaurant was “temporarily shut down” by roughly two weeks ago over customer security concerns…

7oS9QPE.png

[pic: imgur.com/7oS9QPE.png ]
Above: Onlookers are kept back from broken glass from the windows damaged on the second floor of the KFC restaurant in Beijing, reportedly one hour after injured rioters have left the vicinity.

– The New York Times, investigative foreign correspondent report, 5/28/1975

The Colonel sought to assist in ending the horrors unfolding in China by trying to get in touch with his contacts in the PRC government, but to not avail in the face of rising anarchy over there. Shocked and saddened by his inability to do anything to alleviate that situation, the Colonel turned his mind to other issues.

In June, he started by opposing Mondale’s call to give federal subsidies to the faltering car companies. The Colonel believed that such intervention in the free market system would make the car companies too dependent on such a “security blanket,” and soon would be unable to compete on the world stage without them.

In a private meeting at the White House between the two men, Secretary Kennedy, and I, Sanders voiced his concerns, only for Mondale to counter them by noting the effects of the 1973 oil crisis on the US car industry and the rise of Japan’s automotive industry’s output. Mondale explained, “Ten years ago, passenger car exports from Japan were at only 100,000. And now? It’s over 1.8 million!”

Mondale stand firm on his own analysis, that the US car industry – and the jobs connected to it – would suffer in the face of growing international market if the federal government did not execute a “helping hand” approach.

– Ralph Nader in his autobiography All For The People: A Life’s Journey, 2019

GOV. KYROS SIGNS FREE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE BILL INTO LAW TODAY

…the event marks the culmination of a rigorous campaign for such a bill that began two years ago and was a central part of Governor Pete Kyros’s successful re-election campaign last year…

– The Bangor Daily News, Maine daily newspaper, 6/4/1975

…tonight’s referendum asked voters the question “Do you think the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (the Common Market)?” The answer has been a definitive yes, with roughly 59% of the populace voting “yea” and roughly 41% voting for “nay.” This referendum, the first national referendum ever to be held across the entire United Kingdom, was backed by the Conservative party and was the brainchild of Enoch Powell. After attempts to remove the UK from the EC failed in 1969, 1971 and 1972, Powell supporters initiated the referendum. Prime Minister Foot will speak about the referendum results very shortly…

– BBC World News, 6/5/1975 report

As the western world’s eyes turned to the chaos sweeping across China and Ethiopia, Guatemala saw their chance. On June 10, the Guatemalan military invaded the U.K.’s Belize over a decades-old border dispute. The U.K.’s Prime Minister, Sir Dingle M. Foot, would not tolerate the act, and swiftly responded to the land invasion with an immediate counter-attack.

– Ashley Carse’s Land of Eternal Spring: A History on the Warfare, Ecology, and Infrastructure in Guatemala, MIT Press, 2005

“This new virus hitting the BLUTAG population in France – they’re now calling it the Immunity System Failure Virus, right? – it’s possible that this outbreak, which used to be over there but is now coming over here somehow, is the result of Soviet biological warfare, and it must be investigated!”

“I see. How did it get over here, then?”

“This Johnny One patient was from San Francisco. You know what they have over there? Refugees who immigrated over from Indochina. And Indochina was communist, which means the Soviets and the Chinese had their grubby paws all over that area. They could have developed it there and given it to the refugees. Same for the people coming in from Ethiopia, which is in Africa, where Patient Z was from.”

“Wouldn’t be simpler to just begin spreading it here from the get-go, instead of starting the spread elsewhere?”

“The Russians are too sneaky to do something so straight-forward.”

“Huh, really?”

“Well, there is another theory that the ISF Virus originated from African trade with the Caribbean and smuggling of things from there to Cuba, leading to BLUTAG soldiers in Cuba returning it to the US, but I don’t really know about that one.”

“Ah. How interesting. Well, can we please discuss your state budget now?”

– Governor William Westmoreland (R-SC) (guest) and William F. Buckley Jr. (host), Firing Line, WOR-TV, Saturday 6/13/1975 broadcast

I used a phony passport to travel to Angola to help out the low-funded [6] Communist MPLA party, short for the “People’s Movement for the Liberation of Angola.” I didn’t know the language and I didn’t know the people other than my contact, but I could fire a gun and wanted to fight for them. More importantly for me, I was eager to prove myself worthy of forgiveness, to prove I still was an asset to the cause of Communism.

– Lee Harvey Oswald’s autobiography “Call Me By My Real Name: Confessions From a Fallen Hero,” published posthumously

The Guatemalans were overwhelmed by the U.K. forces, outnumbered and outgunned on both the land and the sea. Guatemala’s President Kjell Eugenio Laugerud Garcia, in the wake of political opponents vying to overthrow him, called for a peace treaty on June 29. The subsequent armistice included Guatemala formally relinquishing land claims in exchange for U.K. assistance in rebuilding the communities of Guatemala damaged during the surprisingly-brief war. With the fighting having begun and having ceased within a month, Foot was applauded at home for the response. This popularity prompted a snap election in the UK…

– Ashley Carse’s Land of Eternal Spring: A History on the Warfare, Ecology, and Infrastructure in Guatemala, MIT Press, 2005

SIX KILLED, DOZENS HURT BY BOMB IN ISRAEL

– BBC World News, 7/4/1975

“Attacks like this are exactly why I’m trying to hold annual talks with regional leaders. This attack, what they’re now calling the Zion Square Fridge Bombing, wounded two American tourists, and killed three Jewish folk and three Arab folk – co-existing peacefully, by the way – who were innocents in all this. They weren’t attacking it other, but they were guilty by association? That’s ludicrous! I’ve been around long enough and I’ve met enough people to know that acts of violence like this do not represent the true people of this planet. The average person wants peace and I aim to help them get peace in any way I can.”

– Colonel Sanders to a reporter, 7/7/1975

Mondale had been a sharp critic of NASA since his role in the US Senate safety investigations of the mid-’60s. But with the Space Race back on, Mondale yielded to public support and lobbyist pressure and reversed his earlier decision to cut back our 1975 budget to .5% of that year’s national budget; it would instead stay at 1.2%. Naturally, we were aiming for more – 2.5% was most preferable, but above 1% was still doable. Nevertheless, Mondale continued to push for more unmanned missions, leading to the conclusion of the Apollo Program that year. But at least it ended on a high note.

A feminist milestone was reached via the landing of the last Apollo mission, Apollo 24. On July 15, 1975, 44-year-old Jerrie Cobb became the first American woman to step foot on the moon.

tGn5rE3.png

[pic: imgur.com/tGn5rE3.png ]
Above: Jerrie Cobb, first American woman on the moon.

Of course, the program’s conclusion did not mean the end of American space exploration. In fact, Mondale publicly promised future lunar missions to be “more thorough,” in regards to collecting information on our natural satellite, under the new Aries Program focused more on unmanned than manned accomplishments…

– NASA scientist Farouk El-Baz’s Up and Away: How The Cold War Competition Pushed Us Into The Stars, MacFarland & Company, 1994

JUST THREE MORE STATES!

Women across America need just three more state legislatures to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment!

Contact your state legislature and demand they vote for equality – before it’s too late! Anti-ERA forces are attempting to have several states rescind their ratifications of the ERA. YOU can help us stop the reversal of history and progress!

– Brochure distributed in several states by the National Organization for Women, c. July 1975

“I’m sickened by the recent casualty numbers coming in from Ethiopia. The Derg are killing us in Mekele, at the Afar Front, and they just killed hundreds of our men and their fellow Ethiopians taking the city of Gonder. I think Walter’s decision to intervene in Ethiopia was a mistake and you can quote me on that.”

– Vice President Mike Gravel, 7/20/1975

MONDALE FRITZ SHOULD DROP GRAVEL FROM THE ’76 TICKET

By Scoop Jackson

…his disrespect toward America’s valiant defenders of freedom weaken American morale and its standing on the world stage by falsely depicting “a House Divided Against Itself”…

The Washington Post, opinion article, 7/21/1975

The summer heat only boiled our blood. Mao, still hiding somewhere in the north, ordered an assault on Beijing to reclaim the capital. Concurrently, Lin Biao support was swelling in the South as urban Chinese citizens fled from the atrocities being committed by the New Red Guard (a loose paramilitary collection of young Mao loyalists based on the original Red Guard from 1966 and 1967) plaguing the coastal cities. These anti-Mao urbanites allied with Lin Biao, while some either went into hiding or left the country altogether.

On July 23, a wave of Mao supporters tried to permeate Biao’s defenses north of the capital, but were completely overwhelmed. Lin Biao being the more Soviet-friendly side in the civil war assured Lin had ample weaponry for his counterattack. Hundreds were killed in just four days, and Mao had one of his General executed for his “failure.” Lin Biao seemed to have the upper hand.

Little did Lin realize that a third side to the war was slowly winning over both Mao and Lin Biao supporters. Informally called “The Third Road,” Deng Xiaoping called for a political agenda the promoted both rural development, “Mao lite” ideology, and a “primitive” limited market economy as the best way for China. This third flank in the war began gaining a foothold in several pockets across the bloodied map of China as fighting escalated overall.

After 14 years in the military, from 1961 to 1975, Bob retired at the rank of master sergeant in late July 1975. Years later, his C.O. would commend Bob by saying, “Ross is highly patriotic, but it was clear from what he went through off the coast of Cuba that he deplored the violence of war. Still, his remaining for all the years that followed the injuries he suffered [in 1963] really highlights his loyalty to the flag.”

zSqhvn1.png

[pic: imgur.com/zSqhvn1.png ]
Above: Bob in the mid-’70s.

– Kristin G. Congdon, Doug Blandy, and Danny Coeyman’s Happy Clouds, Happy Trees: The Bob Ross Phenomenon, University Press of Mississippi, 2014

The race to capitalize on the newfound resources led to hastily-assembled sites, increasing the chances of disaster. On August 3, a poorly-welded flange plate combined with cyclical stresses common in the North Sea caused the Norwegian oil rig named Ocean Skimmer to capsize, killing 104 of the 215 men on board, making it the worst disaster in offshore Norway history since World War Two. The disaster quickly became a rallying cry for better safety regulations and an in-depth inspection of all drilling rigs assembled at Ekofisk since 1973. Despite assurances that the deadly capsizing was a “fluke,” the tragedy contributed to an increase in Norwegian interest in alternate sources of energy (particularly wind and water turbines) and environmental protection. In addition to these changing attitudes in post-Ocean Skimmer Norway, the late 1970s also saw a rise in fish-farming enterprises along the nation’s coasts.

– E. Van den Bark’s Ekofisk: the Energy and Potential of the Giant Oil Fields of Western Europe, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 1980

Sanders’ second trip to the Middle East of that year sent him to Egypt, where his company had first opened a restaurant in 1967. The fried-chicken tradition of the American South, with its communal connotations and complicated racial history, may not have meant anything to the citizens of Egypt, or even to the rest of the people living in the Middle East. But the people there ate chicken, and they ate salt, and they ate fried, crunchy things of varying degrees of spiciness, and so Kentucky Fried Chicken made sense in a way that its burger-based rivals didn’t. [7] KFC-Egypt’s menu offered items unique to regional tastes, too: KFC Tikka Masala, KFC Kabab Roll, KFC Gyros, and KFC Tandoori were well-received staples of Egypt’s fast-food scene by the end of the 1980s.

But in 1975, Sanders’ main focus was using KFC to achieve a goal more diplomatic than capitalist. He hoped that a well-publicized visit to Egypt would shore up regional support for his other project, the Chicken Dinner Peace Summit.

Br0Sgiy.png

[pic: imgur.com/Br0Sgiy.png ]
Above: The Colonel, on his 1975 trip to Egypt

– Josh Ozersky’s Colonel Sanders and the American Dream, University of Texas Press, 2012

“Ray believed KFC was doomed to eventual failure because the Colonel was always going around trying to perfect an imperfect world. Whether by the Middle East, or Africa or China, he was always distracted from his own company. I disagreed, thinking instead that the Colonel's experience as President had opened his eyes to the bigger issues facing the world, and he thought he was in a unique situation to do something about it.

Ray shook his head at this. ‘He’s taken his eyes off the prize,’ he once said. He also saw the Colonel as a stubborn old man unwilling to change with the times. He once called him ‘a tumbleweed refusing to tumble, even though tumbling is what i'ts best at and what all tumbleweeds are meant to do.’ To that, I scratched my head.

‘Leave the similes and metaphors to the Colonel, hon,’ I told him.”

– Joan Kroc, KNN Interview, 1983

“Are you thinking of running for President?”

“Bill, I don’t like to wear two hats at once. You can’t serve as both a General and as a Major General at the same time, and I don’t think you can serve as both a Governor and as a Presidential candidate at the same time. So no. Now, don’t get me wrong, none. I’m tempted, but no, I won’t wear two hats at once.”

– Governor William Westmoreland (R-SC) (guest) and William F. Buckley Jr. (host), Firing Line, WOR-TV, 8/16/1975 broadcast

UK PM FOOT’S LABOUR PARTY GAINS 15 SEATS IN SNAP ELECTION

…Foot’s popularity stems from the UK ousting Guatemala from Belize earlier this year, settling an archaic land dispute...

– The New York Times, 8/17/1975

Then in August, in the wake of his semi-retirement, Bill Alexander “passed the brush” to Bob, who became the primary host of Alexander’s PBS show “The Magic of Oil Painting.”

kU1mtgb.png

[pic: imgur.com/kU1mtgb.png ]
Above: The first episode of the 1975-1976 series begins with Alexander handing over hosting duties to his most famous understudy.

Under Bob, the show’s format and tone was simplified, the subjectively distracting set being swapped out for a simple black backdrop so keep the focus on the painting being made. Soon into the new series of episodes, Bob adopted the iconic “afro” look of his in order to minimize costs. Annette Kowalski explains “He got this bright idea that he could save money on haircuts [this way], so he let his hair grow, he got a perm, and decided he would never need a haircut again.” [8]

– Kristin G. Congdon, Doug Blandy, and Danny Coeyman’s Happy Clouds, Happy Trees: The Bob Ross Phenomenon, University Press of Mississippi, 2014

According to Zhou’s private diary, the assassination of Mao ally Grand Gen. Luo Ruiqing – struck by a sniper visiting a city “purged of traitors” (mostly burned to the ground) – only worsened Mao’s depression… [snip] Mao’s supporters became increasingly disorganized as Mao’s remaining top military followers were poor at working with each other, with disastrous results for their side of the war. At the Battle of Jining, for instance, hundreds of Maoists were killed by a smaller Linist militia battalion because the Maoist Lieutenant Commander and Commander disagreed on war strategy and each of them gave out conflicting orders to their subordinates. Both leaders were executed soon after for “incompetence” and “failure to carry out Mao’s will,” despite Mao having no known orders or thoughts on strategy for conquering the region prior to the battle in question.

– Yu Changgen’s Zhou Enlai: A Political Life, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2006

“Well, with the movie on your early years coming out this week, eh, I’d like to know – will they be accurate in how they depict you?” [9]

“They, uh, well they called me several times to run some things by me during the writing stage of the project, back in, um, back, eh, last year, but after that I had nothing to do with it. But they seemed like nice folks, and so I think they’ll do me justice.”

“Did you meet with the cast and crew?”

“I did talk with the fella playin’ me. He’s not as handsome as I was back then, but he can act just fine, he’s got my mannerisms down pat and everythin’!”

“Well, you probably will get a lot of royalties for it anyhow.”

“I don’t give whit about making even more money, I’ve got enough as it is. Any I get from this picture will go to charity.”

– Colonel Sanders and Phil Donahue on “The Phil Donahue Show,” 8/22/1975

2sYCzWv.png

[pic: imgur.com/2sYCzWv.png ]

– KFC-Canada poster celebrating Colonel Sanders’ 85th birthday (September 9), first distributed c. late August 1975

PARAMOUNT’S “THE COLONEL” SINGS CHICKEN KING’S PRAISES – AND HIS FLAWS

…rising star Nick Nolte, 35, portrays the Colonel during the 1920s, long before founding KFC during his first exposure to law and politics… The film opted to not shy away from the Ms. Arkansas Scandal, depicting the woman in question in several scenes depicting casual workplace pestering. The inclusion of this aspect of the Colonel’s life makes the film surprisingly deep, depicting the younger Sanders as an imperfect man, and, just maybe, his own enemy…

Variety, film review, 8/30/1975

NEW POLL: SUPPORT FOR QUEBEC INDEPENDENCE DROPPING

…“nay” supporters claim independence is an unnecessary manner in which to handle the provinces concerns. Others point to the country’s economy being prosperous both in and out of Quebec. The biggest development, however, may be the recent incidents of bombs being sent through the mail by Quebec’s more violent separatist organizations and supporters. This actions may have actually sullied the “yea” movement, as it is dropping in polls ahead of the independence referendum still scheduled for the end of this month…

– The Edmonton Journal, Canadian newspaper, 9/3/1975

Greek Prime Minister Alexandros Panagoulis of the Center Union party was in office for only a month when he received sharp multi-partisan criticism for, in an unprecedented move, calling for the sending of relief aid to Turkey in the wake of the M6.7 earthquake that struck the country on September 6, 1975, killing over 2,000 people in Diyarbakir and Lice, in eastern Turkey. The decision only strengthened relations between the two countries, a shift in policy that had started in the aftermath of the 1971 Bulgarian Plot. While some politicians were outraged at the idea, the Greek populace were ultimately won over by news reports of Turks and Kurds praising Greece for their humanitarianism. Their additional praise of the Turkish government for allowing the aid into the country assured said government’s stay in power…

– clickopedia.co.usa/Greek-US_relations

In 1974, accountant and five-time divorcé Sara Jane Moore of West Virginia became obsessed with Patricia Soltysik, one of the famous would-be kidnappers of New York Governor Mario Biaggi. In September 1975, Moore was arrested outside of the New York state capitol building for attempting to conceal a revolver from security officers. The incident only contributed to the Governor’s image. Upon state police learning that Moore had also contemplated attempting to assassinate President Mondale, and that the Secret Service evaluated her but had determined that she was of no risk to others, Biaggi harshly criticized the Secret Service for allegedly not “do[ing] their jobs,” and for not considering current Presidential security measurements to be a major concern. Despite making headline news, the incident was all but forgotten until a certain number of years later...

– David Frum’s political textbook How We Got Here: The ’70s, Basic Books NY, 2000, p. 298

While the guest list was impressive, the list of speakers for the occasion was light. In early September, we finally landed a big fish. The Imam of Amman, Jordan, the main Islamic church leader of Jordan’s capital city agreed to attend the dinner summit and give a short speech.

“Well, it’s not the King, but it’s better than nobody,” Father replied. “He is aware of the rules, though, right?”

“Yep,” I assured him, “I told the translator and our translator confirmed it, the Imam has agreed – no jabs at other religions, the focus is on common ground.”

“As long as they keep their promises,” he remarked, “this shouldn’t be a bloodbath.”

“You’re not having second thoughts, are you Pop?”

“Well,” he admitted, “I do feel like I just dug a pond and now I’m just waitin’ for ducks to show up.”

“Come on, Dad, don’t doubt yourself. This is a good idea. I really think we can make a difference here.”

“You sure, son?”

I answered, “Just as sure as ten dimes buys a buck!”

– Harland David “Harley” Sanders Jr., In the Thick of It: The Story of The Colonel and His Son, Sunrise Publishing, 1991

…Activists are protesting in Austin, Texas over the state legislature’s opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment, which they plan to vote on later this month. The Texas state legislature is one of a handful of remaining state bodies to have not passed the ERA, keeping the proposed Constitutional Amendment just one more state ratification away from becoming law…

– CBS Evening News, 9/12/1975 broadcast

Johnson met with Governor Frances Farenthold to drum up support in what would be his last political trick. The lion of the Senate, now visibly wasting away was the grim specter of death inched closer and closer, still wielded a mighty air of intimidation as he went around to the homes and offices of everyone anti-ERA state legislator. With classic lean-ins, threats, and unnerving closeness, Lyndon gave each of his fellow Texans the Johnson Treatment. Some were not a persuadable as others, seeing Lyndon not as a powerful career-wrecker, but as a desperate dinosaur on his last legs. Their respective careers soon ending in scandal proved them wrong – that even in the shadow of oblivion, Lyndon was a master of the power of suggestion.

– Robert Caro’s The Years of Lyndon: Book Six: His Final Years of Power, A. A. Knopf Inc. New York, 2018

TEXAS RATIFIES E.R.A.!

…becoming the 38th state to approve it, the E.R.A. will now become law as a part of the U.S. Constitution…

The New York Times, 9/23/1975

…The Channel Tunnel project was almost halted today. The cost to complete the British end of this historical project is projected to be $4.1 billion, but enough MPs believed the improving economy means that the U.K. can afford the cost. The suggestion of Environment Secretary Anthony Crosland to impose a 5-year-hiatus on construction to give the U.K. time to come up with cost for project was criticized for being too cautious, and the House of Commons narrowly voted against proposal earlier today, with 267 voting against it and 245 voting for it...

– BBC News broadcast, 25/9/1975

DEATH TOLL RISES IN ETHIOPIA, FRITZ’S AGGREGATE APPROVAL RATING DOWN 2%

– The Boston Globe, 9/26/1975

QUEBEC SECESSION REFERENDUM: QUEBEC VOTES TO STAY, 55.4%-to-44.6%

– The Toronto Star, 28/9/1975

On that day in early October, the moment had arrived.

There had been lots of speculation as to why Father had put such a thing together. One rumor was the horrors of warfare in Indochina had “broken” him and he was desperate to repent before dying. Another rumor claimed it was a business ploy to end the warfare in China so he could re-open the KFC outlet in Beijing. But really, his experiences with diplomacy and his experience with violence made him believe that he could change the conversation and help convince more people to choose negotiations over atrocities. Quoting a line from the April 1975 made-for-TV film “I Will Fight No More Forever,” Father opened the first Annual Chicken Dinner Peace Summit by saying, “Folks, it’s easy to pick up a gun, but it’s much harder to put it down.” Father gave the first speech of the evening, calling for the end of hostilities in Ethiopia, China, and the Middle East because “the people suffer on both sides of the conflict, each and every time.”

The representatives of Israel, led by Israel’s former Ambassadors to the US Abba Eban and Yitzhak Rabin, commended Sanders for his enthusiasm, with the former stating “the voice of Israel’s people should be louder than the voices of the war-makers.”

The Lebanese church representatives gave a surprisingly secular speech that, among other positive things, proclaimed that Father was “right to focus the summit around chicken, a meat enjoyed by all three major religions. The three also share a love for sports, music, dancing, and art. The details may vary, but the understanding is there. Jews, Christians, and Muslims also share important ideals – honor life, honor country, love your family, love your friends. And like the Colonel when he was a young boy, all three groups also love the comfort of a well-made loaf of bread. Of the thrill of adventure, the potential of improving the lives of those around you, and the great feeling of a job well done.”

The delegation from Egypt, led by one of Anwar Sadat’s Prime Ministers (the highest-ranking official at the summit), gave the most controversial speech, summarizing the commonalities found between Jewish and Muslim people in terms of religion. “Allah is the same Creator, Sustainer, and Provider that Jews and Christians worship, just by a different name. Moses was a great man and a great prophet. And Jesus was a great man and a great prophet of God whose mother Mary was the greatest of all women.” [10]

Other than that tense moment, those hours in Jerusalem were overall amicable. Translators accompanied their bosses around the convention-like congregation before and after the delegates’ tables were served. The attendees were treated to a variety of halal and kosher chicken dishes from which to choose, as well as appetizers and desserts, all catered by local Jewish, Christian and Muslim restaurants (as Muslims are allowed to consume an animal if it is slaughtered properly by a Muslim, Jew or Christian).

Once the speeches had concluded, the mingling among the attendees was even friendlier, causing Father to have high hopes for next year’s summit: “maybe things will be organized better, more formal maybe, and hey, maybe we’ll get the actual Presidents of these countries together next time.” Regardless of its guest list, Father considered the summit a success because it opened a dialogue and established comradery among incumbent officeholders from three Middle Eastern countries. “A small step is always alright when it’s merely the first step,” I remember Father said.

THE COLONEL’S SUMMIT: A Sincere But Toothless Call For Peace

The New York Times, 10/9/1975

“SNL”: HOW A “VARIETY SHOW” IGNITED A COMEDY REVOLUTION

On October 11, 1975, TV history was made. Or at least the variety-show format was turned on its ear, thanks to producer Lorne Michaels, a group of relative unknown comedians – and Johnny Carson, who’d insisted NBC stop running
Tonight Show repeats on the weekends, forcing the network to create a replacement series. NBC’s Saturday Night, as it was first known, premiered with George Carlin as host with Tommy Chong as musical guest, and it looked different than it does today: the cast had less airtime, and the host and musical guests got more. But the show became an instant success, and despite the arrival of Second City Television, the technet, and rival comedy shows and viewing formats, it has maintained its status as the standard-bearer of American pop-culture relevance 40 years later. [11]

– usatoday.co.usa/SNL_40th_anniversary_review

GOVERNOR REAGAN LAUNCHES PRESIDENTIAL BID

The Los Angeles Times, 10/18/1975

L.A.’S MAYOR TOM BRADLEY DENOUNCES REAGAN FOR “IGNORING THOSE IN NEED” AND DOING “A TERRIBLE JOB” IN OFFICE

The Sacramento Union, Ted Kennedy’s newspaper, 10/19/1975

MARTIN AND MALCOLM: FINDING NEW ROLES IN THE 1970s

The Reverend Martin Luther King of 1975 is not the same man from the 1950s and 1960s. After his 1969 fall from grace that led to the watershed event that was the Ms. Arkansas Scandal and the subsequent “Ark Wave” of 1970, King became resigned to sit on the sidelines of the Civil Rights Movement. Neither King nor Malcolm X are the main faces of the movement, being effectively replaced by a new generation of young activists such as Jimmie Lee Jackson, Ron Dellums, and John Lewis. However, King has recently regained national attention for comments concerning both a recent riot and a Presidential candidate.

On October 15, King shocked longtime followers by announcing that he had become more accepting of violence “when it becomes clear that a necessary evil must be wielded for good.” In the informal speech, King gave a strong endorsement of longshot Presidential candidate Charles Ever, the Mayor of Fayette, Mississippi since 1969 and the first African-American ever to serve as that city’s mayor. Evers, who is running for the Republican Party nomination next year, is noticeably more conservative than most veterans of the Civil Rights Movement. Evers’ younger brother and fellow Civil Rights activist Medgar Evers, who is much more liberal, has yet to endorse his brother.

King also took the moment to comment on a riot that broke out in St. Louis on the 12th, in which five people were injured and several were arrested. “There are still many issues we have yet to overcome – police brutality, unfair incarceration rates, healthcare disparities, white flight and other forms of allegedly-natural segregation leading to poorer funding for majority-black schools,” King remarked, “Riots can be self-defeating and socially destructive, but if it is for the right reason, and if it brings attention to a serious issue, than the riot is the language of the unheard.”

Sitting down with the reverend for this article (on the condition that I did not bring up the 1969 scandal), it is clear how much the years of challenging racism has worn him out. He is only 46, but he has grey streaks on the sides of his head and wrinkles on his forehead and under his eyes, making him appear to be in his 50s or early 60s. I ask him about his recent comments, and he doubles down on them: “The rioters are not seeking to seize territory or to attain control of institutions. They are mainly intended to shock the white community. They are distorted a form of social protest.

The comments seem to highlight what appears to be a reversal of the prior roles of King and controversial African-American community organizer Malcolm X. While X has continued to be an activist at home, in recent years, he has expanded to activitism in South Africa and Namibia over Apartheid and other local issues with a noticeably more pacifist approach. Two months ago, X came to side with Medgar Evers over the idea that busing was “a misunderstood missed opportunity.” Nevertheless, X conceded that the progress made under Presidents Sanders and Mondale to resolve racial issues “have made the case that peaceful apporaches may actually be able to work.”

[snip]

Both King and X both agree on foreign policy, though – they are vehemently against American “intervention” in Ethiopia, it being what King describes as “another illegal war.” [12]

[snip]

Tumbleweed Magazine, 10/21/1975 article

1975 saw the Louisville Colonels finally make their way to the World Series. After besting the Red Sox and the Oakland A’s in the ALCS, the Colonels went up against the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Colonels gave it their all, but Roberto Clemente earned MVP on October 22 by bringing his team to victory, the final game wins score being 5-to-2. [13]

– John Helyar’s Lords of the Realm: The Real History of Baseball, Ballantine Books, 1994

LOCAL NRA ASSOCIATE DIES IN GUN ACCIDENT

…former NRA president Harlon Bronson Carter passed away yesterday at the age of 62. According to an employee working at the gun range, Carter was arguing with a fellow range patron over the role guns had in last year’s Governor Biaggi Hostage Crisis when the gun accident occurred... Franklin Orth, Executive Vice-President of the National Rifle Association, released a statement earlier today calling Carter “a fiery and passionate champion of the second amendment,” adding “his death is a reminder of the responsibilities that come with owning and operating a firearm. As with any powerful tool, a rifle can be helpful was used correctly and carefully, but destructive when mishandled.”

– The Arizona Republic, 10/25/1975

LYNDON B. JOHNSON DIES!: Senator, Former President Likely Suffered Heart Attack; Was Age 67

– The New York Times, 10/30/1975

peqBL8I.png

[pic: imgur.com/peqBL8I.png ]

– clickopedia.co.usa

EDWARDS ELECTED GOVERNOR IN STATE’S FIRST-EVER BLANKET PRIMARY

…The incumbent Governor, Democrat Jimmie Davis is term-limited. …No run-off will be required, as Edwards received over 50% of the vote: former US Congressman Edwards won 54%, while state politician Robert G. Jones won 26%, and longtime state Secretary of State Wade O. Martin Jr. won 18%, with several minor candidates receiving the remaining 2%...

The New Orleans Tribune, 11/1/1975

L.B.J. BURIED IN HOMETOWN OF STONEWALL: Sanders, Humphrey & 1,000s of Others Attend, Pay Respects

– The Dallas Times Herald, 11/2/1975

…as way of honor the dearly departed President, here are some similarities Johnson shared with Abraham Lincoln, another great President:

1: Both men had birth years with the numbers 0, 1, 8, and 9 in them; Lincoln was born in 1809 and Johnson was born in 1908
2: Both men ultimately grew to a height of 6’4”
3: There are six letters in Lincoln and six in Johnson
4: There are 15 letters in ABRAHAMLINCOLN and LYNDONBJOHNSON
5: Both men had military experience (Lincoln served in the Illinois Militia, while Johnson served in the US Navy)
6: Both men won election to the House of Representatives in a year ending in ’46 (a first term for Lincoln, re-election for Johnson)
7: Both men won election to the US Presidency in a year ending in ’60 and won with under 50% of the vote
8: Both men entered the Presidency at the age of 52
9: Both men were outlived by their respective wives and by two children
10: Both men were the target of assassination plots (attempts in 1861, 1864, and 1865 for Lincoln; attempts in 1962 and 1963 for Johnson)
11: Presidential security was heavily criticized after each assassination for being too lax
12: Both men won the US Presidency by defeating an incumbent US Vice President (John C. Breckinridge for Lincoln, Richard Nixon for Johnson)
13: Both men served for roughly four years, their administrations ending in ’65
14: Both men were concerned with issues affecting African-Americans; Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation in 1862 while Johnson signed into law the Civil Rights Act of 1962
15: Both of their predecessors (Buchanan and Eisenhower) retired to Pennsylvania and died less than a decade after leaving the office of the Presidency
16: Both men and their successors conferred with a nationally known African-American Civil Rights leader. Lincoln and Johnson conferred with Frederick Douglass; Johnson and Sanders conferred with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
17: Johnson’s Vice President and both of Lincoln’s Vice Presidents served in the US Senate both before and after serving as Vice President
18: Both of their successors were primarily from the Appalachian region (Andrew Johnson was from Tennessee; Colonel Sanders was from Kentucky)
19: Both men died in Washington D.C. while holding an elected public office (Lincoln was holding the Presidency while Johnson was holding a US Senate seat)
20: Johnson was the second US President in U.S. history to issue interest-free money during a time of war. Lincoln was the first (Lincoln issued greenbacks to finance the U.S. Civil War, while Johnson issued interest-free money in connection to financially affording the Cuban War and to combat the Salad Oil Recession)
21: Both men died 2 months and 3 days after celebrating their birthday (Lincoln’s birthday was on February 12 and he died on April 15; Johnson’s birthday was on August 27, and he died on October 30).

With all those similarities, it’s no surprise that Johnson was, like Lincoln, also one of our most important national leaders….

The Houston Chronicle, opinion article, 11/2/1975

…Big developments in the political world tonight, as voters in two states spent the day and the night exercising their right to vote. Mississippi and Kentucky elected new Governors; Kentucky’s Republican Governor John Robsion Jr. was term-limited, as was Mississippi’s Democratic Governor Walter Nixon. In Mississippi, Democrat William Winter won over Republican Gil Carmichael. Kentucky, though, saw a historic election result by electing its first female Governor – Republican Mary Louise Foust defeated Democrat Wendell Ford by a narrow margin. Foust, age 66, who has served as Kentucky’s Lieutenant Governor since 1971 and who previously as a revenue clerk and CPA before election to the state legislature in 1969, is considered a political maverick. Foust herself considers herself, quote, “anti-establishment,” unquote…

– The Overmyer Network, 11/4/1975 broadcast

CONGRESSMAN J. J. PICKLE APPOINTED TO L.B.J. SENATE SEAT

…According to a source close to the Congressman, Pickle will likely run in the special election that will be held next November for the remaining two years of Johnson’s term…

The Dallas Morning News, 11/5/1975

PORTUGESE QUIT ANGOLA AS CIVIL WAR RAGES ON!

…after being present in the region for 400 years, Portugal has withdrawn from Angola, granting it independence despite the clear power void present in the troubled African nation… The power struggle between pro- and anti- communist groups in Angola began in July, following the Carnation Revolution and the end of the Angolan War of Independence that was fought between 1961 and 1974…

The New York Times, 11/11/1975

FRANCO IS DEAD IN MADRID AT 82: Juan Carlos to Take the Oath as King Within 48 Hours

…Generalissimo Francisco Franco died early today after 36 years of dictatorial rule over Spain…

– The New York Times, 11/20/1975

…The Farming Relief And Drought Prevention Bill has passed the US Senate, just before the start of Thanksgiving break for the nation’s Senator. The bill was one of the last bills to be worked on by the late Senator and former President Lyndon Johnson…

– The Overmyer Network, 11/22/1975

“Hey, Harland.”

“Josephine.”

“You, um, you sound well.”

“You’re complimenting me? That’s rare.”

[exhale] “I’m just trying being polite to you, you idiot.”

“Why? Something the matter?”

“No, nothing, I just wanted to say, um, congrats on that Jerusalem Summit thing going so well. It’s been over a month, and I keep hearing about it.”

“Oh. Uh, well it wasn’t that big a shindig.”

“Don’t sell yourself short, Harland. I know, probably better than anyone, how good a seller you are. I like your latest product – chicken with a side order of peace.”

“Gee, eh, thank, Jo.”

“Yeah.”

“And since you’re giving out compliments today, I give you one – it’s nice to hear you talk like this. You know, you could really be a sweetheart when you wanted to. It’s why I married you, remember?”

“I remember. Both the good times and the bad.”

“Don’t start – ”

“I’m not. There were more good times than bad. It’s just the bad times seemed to have mostly shown up toward the end of things.”

“Now, don’t you play mind games with me, Jo, I know I messed us up. You played your part too, though.”

“I know. No hard feelings, though, right, Harland?”

“Sure, Jo. Sure.”

“Alright, well, I’ve got to go now. And best of luck with what you’re doing.”

“Alright, then. I’ll Talk to ya later, Josephine.”

“Goodbye.”

– Audio of telephone call between Josephine King and Colonel Sanders (recorded by Secret Service at a time of increased death threats being made against the former President), 11/23/1975

At the age of 81, Mao could not take it anymore. On November 24, the leader passed away in his sleep, his health finally having succumbed to the stress of living in hiding n the midst of heavy warfare between Lin Biao’s anti-détente forces and Deng Xiaoping’s “Third Way Front.” Mao’s avid followers, the New Red Guard, had called Mao a God. Now, Mao’s followers were becoming more desperate in their attacks as the cult of personality crumbled away through disillusionment and disorganization. Zhou Enlai, now the Premier of a China tearing itself apart, retreated to Baicheng, northern-central Manchuria, while Mao’s wife failed to garner more power as the Maoist faction of the war collapsed. In its wake, the Third Way Front expanded beyond the coastal spots into additional rural regions. Deng even won over Tibetans and the ethnic minorities of Inner Mongolia and Xinjiang, plus a plurality of support among the Thai and Indochinese populations in the south. Lin Biao turned his attention to retaining his forces’ base in the south – a very fateful decision...

Following Portugal’s withdrawal from the region, East Timor announced its independence from Indonesia on November 28 [1975]. Learning that the nation of Indonesia was planning to invade the new 5,700-square-miles-large nation, Mondale sought to prevent another region from falling into a state of warfare, telling his Chief of Staff Richard Moe, “I learned from Ethiopia – intervene before the puck hits the ice, not long after.” Mondale called Indonesia’s Suharto to warn him “a coup brought you into power; another coup could take you out of power.” To save face, Suharto opted to ignore East Timor and instead claim that the nation needed to focus more on the Papuan separatist movement, which was having much less success than the East Timor movement had had…

On December 1st, the Chinese Civil War of 1975 finally reached its conclusion. Deng Xiaoping’s assault on Beijing blindsided Lin Biao and his cohorts preoccupied with the fighting going on in the southern provinces. In the mêlée, Lin was shot and killed attempting to board a train to flee; his unofficial successor was Chen Boda. Chen surrendered after a partaking in a futile standoff with the soldiers surrounding him for twenty minutes. In an impromptu ceremony, Zhou Enlai was stripped of the title of Premier in absentia, and Dengwas announced to be the new Premier of the People’s Republic of China. Zhou would pass away from cancer not long afterward.

Aware of the amount of blood shed in the past several decades, Xiaoping supporter Ye Jianying, a top military leader in the Third Way Front, convinced Xiaoping to promise rural development and respect for “both old and new ideas” to placate remaining rebels in the country’s southern and middle regions. Additionally, alongside offering amnesty to former Lin and Mao supporters, and allowing rival politicians to retain party membership (setting a precedent, that losing a power struggle would not end in physical harm), Deng’s first reformist project once in power was to rejuvenate the nation’s post-war economy via his “Five Modernizations Plan.” There were five points of the plan – strengthen agriculture, improve industry, bolster defense, enhance scientific inquiries, and establish diplomatic relations worldwide.

JOSEPHINE KING, EX-WIFE OF COLONEL SANDERS, DEAD AT 87

King was born October 2, 1888, in Gamble, Alabama (an ironic name given her famous husband’s open disdain for gambling)… King died yesterday morning at her home in Lexington, Kentucky. …King kept a low profile during the Sanders administration, agreeing to only one interview in 1973, in which she avoided discussing politics, stating “I’m not political and I believe it to be bad form to hold onto grudges. That gives you wrinkles, you know.” …Colonel Sanders has already commented on the passing of her former wife of 38 years: “Josephine was a good and dear friend to so many to the end. Jo was a loving and caring daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother and woman who’ll be missed by so many folks, I tell ya.” …Services will be held at the Central Christian Church in Lexington…

jyOAz3e.png

[pic: imgur.com/jyOAz3e.png ]
Above: King in her younger years

– The Lexington Herald-Leader, Kentucky newspaper, 12/7/1975

BUSINESSMAN RAY KROC ANNOUNCES LONG-SHOT BID FOR G.O.P. NOMINATION FOR PRESIDENT

…“If Sanders could just barely do it, then this’ll be a cakewalk for me!”

The New York Times, 12/8/1975

NEW CHAIRMAN DENG XIAOPING ANNOUNCES CHINA’S MARKETS ARE OPEN AGAIN TO WESTERN INVESTORS

Offers To Start With Restoration & Re-Opening Of Beijing’s K.F.C. Restaurant

The Washington Post, 12/14/1975

REPORT: K.F.C.’S MILDRED SANDERS “EAGERLY” IN TALKS WITH CHINA, KFC-BEIJING LIKELY TO RE-OPEN “SOON”

The Washington Post, 12/16/1975

“For me, money is not everything. I was more interested in doing good and helping people than lining my pockets with green paper. I tried as best as I could as President to do this, but think being outside government bureaucracy, I can do even more good. [snip] I’d like to read Bible verse 1 Timothy 6:17-to-19, if y’all will oblige. It reads: ‘Charge those who are rich in this present world that they not be haughty, nor have their hope set on the uncertainty of riches, but on the living God, who richly, provides us with everything to enjoy.’ This means that no amount of riches can save your soul; only loving your God can do that. Then it reads, ‘That they do good, that they be rich in good works, that they be ready to distribute, willing to communicate.’ ‘Rich in good works’ – that true wealth there, folks. And ‘ready to distribute’? That’s not only something I preach – it’s something I practice. If you can give to someone in any way, do it, and you’ll spread hope and goodness farther than you’d ever thought you could.”

– Colonel Sanders speaking at a Sunday church service in Florence, KY, Sunday 12/21/1975

REPORT: MONDALE RECONSIDERING ETHIOPIAN TROOP LEVELS

May Scale Back Operations, “Regroup” Soldiers Until After Talks With Generals “Become More Productive”

The New York Times, 12/22/1975

BATTLE FOR AIR TRAVEL?: With Yesterday’s Successful Launch Of The Tu-144, Also Called “The Soviet Concorde,” Is This The Start Of An “Air Race” Between The US And USSR?

– The National Review, late December issue, 1975

RIGHT AND READY

– Reagan ’76 Campaign slogan, first used in early January 1976

HANK HIBBARD, AFTER MUCH CONSIDERATION, DECLINES TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT

Senator Endorses Reagan Instead

– The Independent Recorder, Montana daily newspaper, 1/5/1976

Do You Support American Military Intervention in Ethiopia?
Yes: 44%
No: 39%
Not Sure: 17%

– Gallup Poll, 1/8/1976

SENATOR ROMNEY THROWS HAT INTO RING

The Detroit Free Press, 1/9/1976

THE STORY BEHIND JOAN MONDALE’S SURPRISE M.T.M. CAMEO

…Mrs. Mondale became the first-ever First Lady ever to appear in a TV Show last Saturday, in an extended cameo at the end of the last Saturday’s episode of Mary Tyler Moore Show…

The Hollywood Reporter, 1/12/1976

MONDALE CREDITS UNION STRENGTH FOR SOUND ECONOMY, DEFENDS ETHIOPIA CHOICE, IN TONIGHT’S STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS

The Washington Post, 1/19/1976

Barry Goldwater took full advantage of Arizona’s recently-passed “Johnson rule” to run for both President and another term in the US Senate at the same time. Running on a platform of “rational conservative” policies in his third Presidential bid (after being a candidate in 1964 and 1972), the 67-year-old former Senate leader believed he had the experience, connections and support necessary to finally win the nomination. That last element, however, was still up for debate as the Republican primaries neared. Especially in the wake of other, newer, fresher candidates emerging from the right side of the party, threatening to steal Goldwater’s thunder. Governor Reagan, Congressman Crane, businessman Ray Kroc, and even a fellow Arizonan, Congressman John Bertrand Conlon joined a large field of Presidential hopefuls as the new year began… [14]

– Meg Jacobs’ Pressure at the Polls: The Transformation of American Politics in the 1970s, 2016 net-book edition

US SENATOR JOHN L. LeFLORE DIES AT 72

The Decatur Daily, Alabama newspaper, 1/30/1976

In light of the growing health movement of the 1970s, KFC announced on January 31, 1976, that there would be a no-smoking policy imposed onto all of its restaurants. Such a move had been made a few months earlier by Burger King, after a smoking customer caused a young boy in one of the chain's locations to suffer an asthma attack, requiring an ambulance to take him to hospital. The incident was bad publicity for Burger King and began a public conversation over the extent of the public’s exposure to smoking.

– Josh Ozersky’s Colonel Sanders and the American Dream, University of Texas Press, 2012

The McDonald’s Man: What Ray Kroc Would Do in the White House

by Ralph Novak

Most people have an uncle like Ray Kroc. He is a high school dropout from an old-country neighborhood in a Midwestern city, a self-made businessman who has tried his hand at a lot of things and failed at many of them. He is opinionated, full of platitudes, suspicious of government officials, college professor, labor unions and people he calls “the minorities.” The men he most admires are such people as Mayor Richard Daley, Barry Goldwater and never-say-die football coach George Allen. Most people’s uncles, however, did not found the worldwide chain of restaurants called McDonald’s, launching the drive-in, fast-food era that has changed the face of America, as well as its eating habits. And very few uncles are worth $500million, which is a conservative estimate of Kroc’s current holdings.

Kroc is running for President on an essentially self-financed campaign focused on “restoring American values to the cities,” defending “America’s reputation overseas,” and, most importantly for Kroc, heavily deregulating all American industries. Kroc complains that it’s hard to run a business these days without the government getting in the way. Asks Kroc, “Did you know that June,” referring to June Martino, McDonald’s current CEO, “has to keep our job applications at all the McDonald’s on file for a year, so the government will know we aren’t discriminating against minorities? The people in Congress are stupid blunderers who are going to destroy our system. They never met a payroll, and they should just stay out of the way.”

Kroc is still bitter about his
two best-known ventures into politics. In 1966, he ran for Governor of California and lost by a 10-percent margin despite a liberal third-party candidate siphoning votes away from the unpopular Democratic incumbent. In 1972 he donated $255,000 to Barry Goldwater’s presidential campaign. He doesn’t regret the contribution, he says, only the furor that arose afterward over its alleged connection to a minimum wage bill that would raise the minimum for teenage workers – the core of McDonald’s work force. Ultimately, the U.S. Congress wouldn’t accept the provision and labeled the entire bill “inflationary.” The critics called it “McDonald’s Veto.”

Kroc nonetheless is enjoying himself
on the campaign trail, believing that he can win New Hampshire due to divided opposition. “This is not a vanity project for me; Romney and Rockefeller are going to let me win on a plurality, just you wait and see,” he assures me.

[snip]

In October 1972, Kroc was flush enough to celebrate his 70th birthday by giving more than $7.5 million to charity, part of it to his own Kroc Foundation, which supports research in diabetes, arthritis and multiple sclerosis (Kroc is afflicted with the first two diseases, his only sister the last)

[snip]

When McDonald’s is criticized for catering to Americans’ addiction to junk food, Kroc still takes it personally. “What do all those nutritionists and college professors and those Nader types know?” he says. “How many jobs have they ever created?” He is offended, too, by the occasional community protest over the prospective construction of yet another McDonald’s.

“It’s true that it would be hard to start a business like McDonald’s today, with all the interference you’d get from the government and the unions,” Kroc ruminates. “
That is why I’m running for President, to remove all the unneeded red tape. I think this country could use a lot of things like investments into technology and mineral extraction, financial and tax incentive to hire American citizens for workers, and to sell American products in America. Because our economy and our country cannot stay stronger under another four years of Mondale.” [15]

People Magazine, 2/16/1976 issue

However, in February of the next year, The L.A. Times reported that a proposed joint American-Soviet Aries-Soyuz Test Project was being viewed favorably by the White House. According to the report, Mondale saw a two-nation space flight as a testament to the power of détente, and told the US Ambassador to the USSR that it could be a way for the Soviets to “carry some of the burden of going into space.” Describing space exploration as a “burden” incensed politicians on the left and the right and on both sides of the aisle. Several Republicans running for President jumped on the controversial wording, causing the White House Press Secretary to “clarify” how the President had simply given a “poorly worded” comment. That was not enough for some politicians like Ronald Reagan, who used the incident to claim Mondale was “giving in” to the Soviets, “practically forfeiting space” to “the other side” of the Cold War; he and other Republican presidential hopefuls criticizing Mondale’s unpassionate view of NASA soon began to lead early hypothetical polling, making it seem like our budget would play a role in the politics of the 1976 Presidential election…

– NASA scientist Farouk El-Baz’s Up and Away: How The Cold War Competition Pushed Us Into The Stars, MacFarland & Company, 1994

“Senator, I admire you, truly I do, but you’ve already run for the nomination twice now and you’ve lost twice. How about you let others take a shot at the net, huh?”

“You’re one to talk. I’ve won four consecutive senate elections. You lost your bid for Governor in a landslide. How about you let the winners take the shots?”

– Exchange between Senator Barry Goldwater and Businessman Ray Kroc at the Republican Presidential Primary Debate in Manchester, NH, 2/24/1976

REAGAN LEADS GOP PACK, NEW POLL SHOWS

The Sacramento Union, 2/25/1976

GOVERNOR ZUMWALT ANNOUNCES PRIMARY CHALLENGE FOR THE PRESIDENCY

Claims Mondale “Mishandling” Foreign Issues And “Neglecting” Domestic Issues

The Northern Virginia Daily, 2/28/1976

SOURCE(S)/NOTE(S)
[1] Covered in Chapter 15; IOTL, it’s still not concrete exactly how AIDS got out of Africa, but I think the restrictive air travel laws and the lingering fear of Cam Bombs (plus the POD being in 1932) very well could have minimized its ability to spread.
[2] This really happened ( https://www.godupdates.com/colonel-sanders-accepted-jesus-testimony/ ), albeit in 1967 when he was 77 IOTL!
[3] Bit from Torontoist article: https://torontoist.com/2015/12/historicist-a-finger-lickin-good-mississauga-colonel/
[4] The Algiers Accord was a real thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Algiers_Agreement
[5] Text taken directly from its OTL wiki article.
[6] Because Cuba is not Communist ITTL, the MPLA receives no support from them, meaning practically all of their foreign support is from the USSR, which only sent them 11,000 troops between 1975 and 1991 IOTL (compare that to the 40,000 MPLA soldiers they had in 1976), according to Wikipedia.
[7] Italicized part is from Ozersky’s OTL book: https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/books/colonel-sanders-the-amer...
[8] Quote found here: https://www.today.com/popculture/can-you-handle-truth-bob-ross-famous-curly-hair-was-t102398
[9] The Colonel really was on the Phil Donahue Show IOTL, but IOTL it was to discuss “Being 70 in the ’70s,” and it was in January 1975 (when the Colonel was…84 years old… :/ ): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1533588/
[10] Italicized parts are found here: https://www.whyislam.org/judaism/similarities/ so if there’s something off about it, hey, I’m just quoting the info I found on the subject; I mean no offense nor the spreading of misinformation :)
[11] Italicized parts are from here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/02/12/saturday-night-live-40th-anniversary/23291405/
[12] Info found in this interesting article: https://timeline.com/by-the-end-of-...ealized-the-validity-of-violence-4de177a8c87b and I read elsewhere that X was reconsidering his most extreme policies toward the end IOTL, but, unfortunately, I lost the source for that info; sorry…
[13] Did I get the terminology right for this bit, @DTF955Baseballfan and @BrainD ?
[15] This whole segment is basically an edited version of this one: https://people.com/archive/the-mc-donalds-man-what-ray-kroc-hath-wrought-around-the-world-vol-3-no-19/

[14] Speaking of which, ahead of the 1976 G.O.P. primaries, I made a preference poll!: https://www.strawpoll.me/18757068

I'm posting this today because tomorrow's going to be fairly busier than usual for me.

E.T.A. for Chapter 41: 10/31/2019

1) He seems somewhat okay on domestic, though he is absolutely abysmal in foreign affairs and it seems that he is following his personal whims rather than any core doctrine. The loss of Ethiopia to the Communists while Johnson overturned Cuba and Sanders purged Indochina of the Communists is a major failure in containment. Don't see barring an economic turnaround or a divided GOP on how Mondale can possibly win re-election.

2) Yesterday California, today Virginia, tomorrow the World.

3) It would be hilarious if there was no War on Terror here because Afghanistan opened up a KFC in Kabul.

4) It's a major bruh moment when Biaggi gets re-elected in a landslide for fighting off assassins when he was destined to lose over the prison riots. All they did was revive his law and order image while perhaps vindicating his actions at the prison. Has that every fully gone away in the eyes of the public?

5) Overall the past two updates have been a great joy to read and a perfect start for the post-Sanders era. I really hope to see this all the way to modern day, it's just too fascinating of a world to end when the Colonel dies.

1) We'll see... :)

2) You're giving me just another reason to visit Texas!; I'm glad you're enjoying this!

3) Hmm, interesting notion... "now the wheels in my head have been turning, since I've looked at this Kaiser Chris post" (random Beauty and the Beast reference is random)...

4) People remember when politicians bring it up

5) Why, thank you very much for the compliment! We'll see long far this goes in the end...

1) Brain intersects fond memories of time with young cousins with spending 10 minutes with our grandparents just figuring out what 3-4 little kids wanted at a fast food burger place.
Brain combines all those options with exponential addition of a 2nd fast food place with a totally different food selection to chose from.
Brain explodes. :)

2) The Biaggi caper will be lampooned in late night TV skits and sitcoms for quite a while.

3) [snipped because apparently these posts have a 100,000 characters limit].

4) "Barney Miller" will also possible have a few references to Biaggi.

5) Mondale not as popular right now, but who knows in 2 years. Also will depend on the GOP candidate if he can win re-election.

6) [snipped for the same reason as segment 3]

7) Speaking of that, I wonder if my TTL self decides he doesn't want to see "THe Snow Queen" because with a girl/woman in the title he figures it's for girls.

8) Of course, I was reading Nancy Drew mysteries early (I was reading Charlie Browns, etc. at 3 or 4) so I grew out of that stage fast, but I only started reading those about age 7 or 8. (My mom had a lot of them.)

9) Doug Rau had some very good seasons in '77 and '78 before injuries basically ended his career in '79 with a very brief comeback, so having him be the one to get that surgery makes a lot of sense. And, 1991 sounds good for his retirement given his age - he'd have been 43.

10) [snipped for same reason as before]

11) Yeah, there's the whole thing with Tony Packo's but what if his wife is from Toledo and they met at Tony Packo's. There could still be plenty of references.

1) :)

2) Would Belushi play Biaggi on SNL? I'll keep it in mind!

3) Good point, I was thinking of TTL's Welcome Back premièring in 1976, as Kaplan's career in D.C. pushed back him developing the concept until now (1975); I'm working on the cast, which will mostly be OTL. Should it have a different title?

4) Oh yes, definitely!

5) Yep!

6) Indeed!

7) Critics praise it for all family members being able to enjoy it, so the question is, would younger you have been interested in a move about a wintry cross-country journey with action, comedy, the theme of friendship, and a few catchy songs?

8) Cool. I remember reading a few Hardy Boys books my mother had held onto from the 1970s. The Simpsons were not exaggerating they joked about how so many of them are about smugglers.

9) I concur.

10) I'll look into this.

11) I'll have to look up (Farr's?) wife and figure that one out for ya.

Thank you for the large and details reply; from it, I can tell you are really enjoying this. I shall thus do my best to not disappoint!

Nice chapter.

Not intervening in Ethiopia is going to Come back and bite Mondale methinks- I bet the Colonel would have had it sorted.

Thanks!

Warhawk Democrats are saying the same concerning Johnson kicking Communism out of Cuba (eventually)

gap
g a p
mario biaggi
horsefaller himself
fought off kidnappers
i wanna marry this tl

You have my blessing :)

Last edited:
My first thoughts on that Lincoln-Johnsoncoincidence thing - you madeit just as crazy as OTL's, since Lincoln was born in 1809. :) But, that's what makes it good, that it's just like the silly stuff from OTL.

Yes, Belushi would probably be very good as Biaggi.

Things around the time of Mao's death could have gone a number of ways, you provided a very credible alternative to OTl. I was a bit worried about who had the nukes, but it didn't get too far out of handto where anyone wouyld consider using them. They weren't insane.

The baseball stuff is great except you called Roberto Clemente Rosa. :) Given his age (He's be 41 by the time of the Series) my guess is he'd be just about at retirement age; perhaps he is one of several really good players on those Pirates and he wins the award as a lifetime achievement thing.

You say the Colonelsbeat the REd Sox and Athletics - I will give you that for this reason. There was only one playoff series before the World Series in these days, no wild card. However, the Colonels would be in the A.L.East. So them beating the REd Sox means in the divisional race.

The 1975 REdswere one of the best teams ever but if they make a bad trae or two the Bucs might have a few of their players - they were shopping Tony Perez for a third baseman in return.

Okay, let me explin what I mean about Farr. Farr was from Toledo and always wanted to make references to Tony Packo's, a great restaurnt there, whenever he could. He couldn't do that with his charactger being from Broklyn if he is the star as the teacher.

However, his character, Mr. Kotter (for sake of illustration) could have gone out to Toledo as a student teacher and met his wife there before ultimately moving bck to Brooklyn. So, and this is where my brain's processing gets weird, I don't know if you understood I meant that his character's wife could be said to be from Toledo.

However, if it's Farr isntead of Kaplan as the teacher, I think instead of the stories, he might do a variety of types of jokes int he opening - it wouldn't be quite the same. I think of him almost like a ropcomic in some ways with how he dressed up on M*A*S*H.

I might have seen The Snow Queen, it's hard to say. Being five at the time, the clincher might have been if there were dogs in it. :)

So, one of the peole who tried to assassinate Ford OTL makes an appearance, did I miss the other? For all I know, givent he time lapse, she might have been involved with the raziness in Brazil with either Manson or JOnes.

Last edited:
Good update; BTW, wonder how the Chinese Civil War affects the response to the Tangshan earthquake...

Nice to see that the Colonel is still trying to make a difference...

Yes, Tony Perez traded to the American League might work well since they have the designated hitter rule. He could play first, he just couldn't play 3rd anymore after an arm injury.

Please give the Reds of this era at least one World Series though. :) but, losing in 1975 does make a lot of sense.

Ask for Jamie Farr, yes if Gabe Kaplan is still the star Jamie Farr could be another teacher. I think he would want to be in a comedic role but what might work well is if he yes from Ohio and wanted to teach in the Inner City but just doesn't get these kids the way Kotter does because Kotter is from Brooklyn. So while Kotter is clearly the leader in his Civics and history classes, Farr could teach some other subject and the kids take advantage of him.

Another alternative is for him to be teacher 4 some of the kids who aren't in the remedial program.

Either way, yes, he could have a recurring role.

One other thought on the Reds. Sparky Anderson was on the hot seat given the amount of Talent on that team and the fact they had never won a World Series. Note that in our timeline he was fired after two second-place finishes after having won two straight series. I can see him taking the blame for the Reds loss even though the Tony Perez trade would be the reason, just like people have said that he was the key to the locker room and when he was traded after 1976 that's why they didn't do as well. Which is why I mentioned Perez to begin with.

A new manager might lead them to a World Series victory in 1976 and maybe use the bullpen last and starting pitchers more. Perhaps Tom Seaver goes as a free agent to the Reds because the Mets aren't wanting to spend as much on him before the 76 season.

Sparky can still be a Hall of Fame manager, he just follows the path of Tony LaRussa, who started with the White Sox and one one division but was then let go with his team near last place in 1986 before winding up with the Athletics and then the Cardinals.

I forgot to answer about Clemente. He could play till he was 45 as a part-time player, at least for the last couple of years, and a pinch hitter. That gives him 6 more seasons, till 1979.

Well he was too old and injured a bit too much to get to 4000 hits, he probably hangs on long enough to set the National League record for hits although Pete Rose would soon break it anyway. :)

In 1975, the Colonels would have to beat both the Red Sox AND the Yankees, both of whom were among the elite teams in baseball IRL during this time period.

I would have them beating the Kansas City Royals in the ALCS. With Finley owning the Colonels, it's very likely TTL's Oakland A's have a very different history under different ownership.

I am curious as to what the MLB alignment is as of TTL's 1975, and I'm going to give my two cents based on what I've seen here.

AMERICAN LEAGUE
East Division

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Louisville Colonels -- one of the two AL expansion teams in 1969. Owned by Charlie Finley, managed this season by Bill Virdon, the Colonels became the fastest expansion team to win a league pennant (seven seasons, one less than the 1969 New York Mets). The team had a potent offensive lineup led by RF Reggie Jackson (.260 batting average, 36 home runs, 109 runs batted in) and a solid lineup featuring C Gene Tenace (27 HR, 114 walks), LF Claudell Washington (.306 batting average), CF Bill North (.382 on-base percentage), 3B Sal Bando, designated hitter Hank Aaron (41 years old, playing in his final World Series in the twilight of his career) and a future Hall of Famer in 19-year-old shortstop Robin Yount. The Colonels also boasted a stellar pitching staff led by ace Vida Blue (21-11 record, 3.02 earned run average, 189 strikeouts in 276 1/3 innings pitched) and closer Rollie Fingers (2.89 ERA, 25 saves, 126 strikeouts in 118 innings pitched). The Colonels drew an average of 27,000 fans to 35,000-seat Fairgrounds Stadium, where the team would stay until moving to a downtown park in the 1990s.

The World Series berth energized the Colonels' fan base and made people see Louisville as a sports town that would support something besides basketball and a certain horse race on the first Saturday of each May. The festive atmosphere around town, however, took a downturn after The Courier-Journal reported that Finley was unwilling to pay Reggie Jackson's requested higher salary and would let the popular All-Star right fielder leave as a free agent after 1976. Jackson was on the trading block, and there was interest around baseball, especially in Baltimore, Los Angeles (from the Dodgers) and New York...both the Mets and the Yankees.

New York Yankees -- new owner George Steinbrenner, unhappy with a fourth-place finish, fired manager Dick Howser (the third manager of the season after Bill Virdon and Billy Martin), then brought back Martin as field manager and informed general manager Gabe Paul he was to get Reggie Jackson by any means necessary.

West Division
California Angels
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals -- the Royals -- the other AL expansion team from 1969 -- won their second AL West title in three seasons and, as in 1973 (losing to Baltimore), they were denied a pennant.
Minnesota Twins
Oakland Athletics
Texas Rangers

NATIONAL LEAGUE
East Division

Chicago Cubs
Montreal Expos -- pure luck put Major League Baseball into Canada for the first time in history in 1969, just as it did ITTL.
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates -- the Pirates win yet another pennant and World Series, and Roberto Clemente adds to the lore of his Hall of Fame career.
St. Louis Cardinals

West Division
Atlanta Braves
Cincinnati Reds -- the Big Red Machine is denied a pennant yet again, but will 1976 be their year?
Houston Astros
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres -- beat out Seattle for the second NL 1969 expansion team.
San Francisco Giants

My two cents on the NBA entry:

IOTL, in 1975 pro basketball was still split into two leagues -- the National Basketball Association and the American Basketball Association. There was an agreement for a merger but IOTL it didn't happen until the 1976-77 season. In 1975 the Colonels won the ABA title.

If we take the entry at face value, they beat the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals. Golden State (Warriors) won the Western Conference. Assuming this is what @gap80 meant, then that means the two leagues merged earlier, at least by the 1974-75 season.

If that's the case, then let's have the ABA accept the four most financially solvent teams:

New York Nets

Denver Nuggets

San Antonio Spurs

and..

the Kentucky Colonels.

Realizing that each of the four teams would have to pay a $3 million entry fee to get into the NBA, and that Chicago Bulls ownership was lobbying hard to keep the Colonels out of any merger [1], they came up with a novel idea: they agreed to trade star center Artis Gilmore to the Bulls in exchange for the NBA rights to Moses Malone [2]. The league owners agreed, as did the Nets, Nuggets and Spurs -- the other six ABA teams were just playing out the string and waiting for their money [3]. Malone, a young center who came to the ABA out of high school, played for the Utah Stars in 1974. Stars owner Bill Daniels, seeing the writing on the wall [4], decided to throw in the towel and use his pro basketball money to fund a run for the governorship of Utah [5].

The 1974-75 NBA season opened with 22 teams:
EASTERN CONFERENCE
Atlantic Division

Boston Celtics
Buffalo Braves
New York Knicks
New York Nets [6]
Philadelphia 76ers
Washington Bullets
Central Division
Atlanta Hawks
Cleveland Cavaliers
Houston Rockets
Kentucky Colonels -- led by former University of Kentucky stars Dan Issel and Louie Dampier, center Moses Malone, and former Indiana Pacer George McGinnis, supplemented by Ted McClain, Maurice Lucas, Wendell Ladner and rookie Billy Knight
New Orleans Jazz

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Midwest Division

Chicago Bulls
Denver Nuggets [7]
Detroit Pistons
Kansas City-Omaha Kings
Milwaukee Bucks
San Antonio Spurs [8]

Pacific Division
Golden State Warriors
Los Angeles Lakers
Phoenix Suns
Portland Trail Blazers
Seattle SuperSonics

[1] the Bulls IOTL made it known because the Colonels had Artis Gilmore's contract, they would lobby to keep them out of any merger so they could sign him since they held his NBA rights.
[2] Malone was not selected in the NBA draft, as he had just finished high school. He signed with the Stars after being drafted in the third round of the ABA draft.
[3] The NBA Board of Governors made it known they would accept only four teams. San Diego was out because the Lakers didn't want the Conquistadors taking a share of the southern California market. The NBA wasn't interested in going to smaller cities where attendance was falling (Carolina, Memphis, Virginia). And the Pacers' ownership situation was best described as "fluid" in 73-74, which led to the remaining owners opting to take a buyout rather than challenge the Colonels for the fourth spot.
[4] Daniels did the same IOTL, after selling off his best players and seeing attendance dwindle.
[5] He also ran for Utah governor IOTL and lost. ITTL? Only @gap80 knows :)
[6] Having a future Hall of Famer on their roster (Julius Erving) helped get them into the league. But Erving, as in IOTL, would not stay...
[7] The Board of Governors liked Denver as a market much better than nearby Salt Lake City. But the ripple effect would wipe away the type of success they had IOTL, and the newly-renamed Nuggets would have to work to keep from being mentioned as a relocation canddiate to cities like Dallas, Indianapolis...and Salt Lake City.
[8] The Board of Governors liked the 10,000-plus average attendance at HemisFair Arena in the team's only ABA season after moving from Dallas.