Kennedy: One Family, One Nation

November 22, 1963
  • November 22, 1963

JQ27eTi.jpg

John Kennedy was not feeling well, a strong flu had abated the president since last week. At this point, shortly after 12:30 PM, Kennedy was still in the Oval Office, but hunger made him decide to stop work at that time.

Opening the door quickly and unannounced, Bobby entered the room. The President soon sat down again when he saw the serious and frightened face of his brother.

- John, you will not believe the shit that just happened.

- What happened Bobby?

- Johnson has just been murdered in Texas, in a moment everyone in the country will know.

John could not believe it. Not that he was the biggest fan of his Vice President, but he fulfilled his role and, well, everything was so unexpected. "My God, it should have been me!"

-The death is not yet confirmed officially, but I have been assured that there is no return. After all, this old man never had the best of health. Fuck I never liked him but my God. It was supposed to be you, John.

- I know I know. I wonder how Lady Bird must be feeling. Make a call to Texas now. And let me know as soon as this situation spreads.

- You will make a pronouncement to the nation?

- Of course, later when we really know what happened.

By mid-afternoon the situation was already much clearer. The death of Vice President Lyndon Baines Johnson was already announced nationwide, as well as the arrest of his assassin Lee Harvey Oswald.

LBJ had been a brilliant Senator and had helped him win the election, could not call him his friend, but he had respect for the man. But now, honestly, the only thing he could think of was that the murderer should have been him, the President. "That shot was meant for me."

The nation was in mourning. Johnson's body would be transported to Washington, where Kennedy and all the country's politicians would pay their respects to the deceased. The official funeral of the Vice President would be a magnificent event, Kennedy would guarantee that. The final resting place would be in Texas.

- Tomorrow will be a long day! - sighed the President.