Keep the Essex class as a strike carrier

So people don't have to dig through the documents, here are your factors based how many planes an ESSEX class carrier could hold if that was the only plane in the CVW:
  • F-8 - 81
  • A-3 - 27
  • F-4 - 57
  • A-4 - 106
  • A-6 - 62
  • A-7 - 89 (CV-12 derived, seems logical since the A-7 was based on the F-8 but a little smaller)
  • E-1 - 45
  • E-2 - 47
  • S-3 - 62 (Zheng He derived, based on later sources for the CVNs showing a similar spot factor for the S-3 and A-6)
  • SH-3 - 111 (Zheng He derived, based on other sources)
Now feel free to construct your own CVWs...
Actually, given those numbers, you can design your own CV spec, too. If I want this:
  • 24xF-4
  • 36xA-4
  • 2xRF-4
  • 4xE-2
  • 3xSH-3 (assuming a det. of 6 total)
I need a carrier of a size I can calculate. (I haven't, just spitballing numbers.) Given aircraft weights, I also know what spec catapults & arrestor gear I'm going to need. That gives me a pretty good idea what operational performance will look like, & what OTL CV is close(est) in design or appearance.

Now I just need names... ;)

Last edited:
Actually, given those numbers, you can design your own CV spec, too. If I want this:
  • 24xF-4
  • 36xA-4
  • 4xE-2
  • 3xSH-3 (assuming a det. of 6 total)
I need a carrier of a size I can calculate. (I haven't, just spitballing numbers.) Given aircraft weights, I also know what spec catapults & arrestor gear I'm going to need. That gives me a pretty good idea what operational performance will look like, & what OTL CV is close(est) in design or appearance.

Now I just need names... ;)
The closest is probably the French PA.58 design. Slightly longer than Essex to fit the larger aircraft, two 246-foot catapults (C-11 is 225-foot) to give you more margin launching F-4s, and above all a modern design better suited to lug the amount of fuel and munitions you'll need.

The closest is probably the French PA.58 design. Slightly longer than Essex to fit the larger aircraft, two 246-foot catapults (C-11 is 225-foot) to give you more margin launching F-4s, and above all a modern design better suited to lug the amount of fuel and munitions you'll need.
Thx. :):) Hadn't really thought about it. (I was actually thinking more of all-fictional a/c types anyhow, & using OTL analogs to measure by. ;) )

Riain

Banned
They Spey was chosen for a number of reasons that are specific to British requirements and not needed by the US. First and foremost the Spey provides a lot more bleed air to the far more powerful BLC blown flaps, as well as considerably more overall power particularly at low level. This gives good performance at heavy weights and slow speeds to facilitate the RN requirement to bring unused bombs back to the ship, whereas the USN jettisons them. The Spey also give better fuel economy than the J79, in the order of 10-15%, which reduces the pressure on the fuel bunkers of RN carriers somewhat, as they fuel and ordnance capacity of British carriers is considerably less than the USN supercarriers. Then there's the industrial, financial and political advantages of using a British engine, the RN Phantom deal specified 40% British content in the aircraft for it to go ahead.

What I do find strange is that the USN didn't adopt the other RN things that would have been easy wins; the extended nosewheel oleo and drooping airlerons which reduce takeoff speed requirements by ~15 knots.

What I do find strange is that the USN didn't adopt the other RN things that would have been easy wins; the extended nosewheel oleo and drooping airlerons which reduce takeoff speed requirements by ~15 knots.
I've mentioned this before, but they didn't need to reduce the takeoff speed requirements. They weren't interested in operating Phantoms off the Essex-class, and so there wasn't nearly the same pressure to reduce takeoff speeds to get them off very small decks (which Eagle and Ark Royal were in comparison to a Midway, let alone one of the supercarriers).

The US also had vastly more powerful catapults than the RN did. The C7 could launch a 40,000 pound aircraft at 149 knots, while even the shorter C11 could manage 135 or so at the same weight. The BS4 and BS5 series struggled to get 40,000 pounds over 100 knots IIRC. And this doesn't even get into the C13 range which can sling 80,000 pounds down the cat at 140 knots.

Edit to add: the F-4J did have drooping ailerons.

Riain

Banned
I've mentioned this before, but they didn't need to reduce the takeoff speed requirements. They weren't interested in operating Phantoms off the Essex-class, and so there wasn't nearly the same pressure to reduce takeoff speeds to get them off very small decks (which Eagle and Ark Royal were in comparison to a Midway, let alone one of the supercarriers).

Yeah, the Essex were a threat to new construction so it was bad policy for the USN to facilitate the drastic improvement of their Air Group. What's more improved Phantoms are a threat to the Tomcat, so similarly it was bad policy to facilitate the drastic improvement of the Phantom.

The US also had vastly more powerful catapults than the RN did. The C7 could launch a 40,000 pound aircraft at 149 knots, while even the shorter C11 could manage 135 or so at the same weight. The BS4 and BS5 series struggled to get 40,000 pounds over 100 knots IIRC. And this doesn't even get into the C13 range which can sling 80,000 pounds down the cat at 140 knots.

Edit to add: the F-4J did have drooping ailerons.
And ironically was the hottest Phantom on takeoff, compared to the F-4B and F-4S.

And ironically was the hottest Phantom on takeoff, compared to the F-4B and F-4S.
Well, IIRC, the drooping airlerons and slats weren't really intended to reduce the takeoff speed. They were meant the Phantom more agile in air to air combat. Any reductions in take off speed were just a bonus.

the same document series that lists 175 for a FORRESTAL lists 106 for an ESSEX and if you are right they are using two different standards in the same series.
I'm by no means expert (to say the least ;) ), but this makes me wonder if the spot factor calculations are off somewhere. That is, is the assumption of SF=1 based on the right type? Even allowing it varies by era.

Given SF does vary, is it certain Forrestals and Essexes would use the same basis? (Yeah, I know, the idea is to compare based on a common number; is it certain that's been done correctly?)

I don't mean to beat a dead horse over it, & all the work done to produce the tables of figures :)eek: ) is deeply appreciated. Like the rest of us, I think, I'm just hoping we can nail down the inconsistency & understand the reason(s).

Anybody who feels this is past its sell-by date, feel free to ignore it.:)

Edit (& nitpick alert :openedeyewink: ):
That'd be Perrys.;) (Spellcheck is a PITA sometimes, no? )
Does that mean that squadrons with an establishment of 12 aircraft go to sea with 10?
I can't imagine it. Two down for maintenance (or as spares), sure, but if they're ashore, they're no good to you.
I my mind one of these carriers would not be in the Med. alone and unafraid. It's either teamed with one of the bigger decks or it's deployed to lower threat area (like the Caribbean) where for whatever reason you want a presence so one of the bigger decks if freed up to hunt bigger game.
I had a thought: the Essexes, being more expendable (vastly cheaper), might be more readily used than a CVN, sent into areas you wouldn't want to risk a Nimitz.

Last edited: