Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

A lot of people like to go throwing this phrase around without really explaining why it's the case. What's your reasoning?
the Germans (well not all Germans, but the high command, including dim shitted willy) ABSOLUTLY DID NOT WANT more Asian holdings. this was partially due to concerns of overextension, but a great deal of racism helped too

the Germans (well not all Germans, but the high command, including dim shitted willy) ABSOLUTLY DID NOT WANT more Asian holdings. this was partially due to concerns of overextension, but a great deal of racism helped too
Do you have any citations for this? It's a pretty strong claim, and usually countries do have an interest in acquiring additional territory.

The Germans seemed perfectly happy to take vast swathes of sub-Saharan Africa, most of which were the poorest parts of France's empire. Indochina, on the other hand, brought in greater revenues than the Brazilian central government, and due to French policies concerning self-sufficiency the colony also bore no outstanding expenses. Indochina possessed a great deal more strategic value than Sub-Saharan Africa too, being a potential springboard to better secure what was at the time the world's largest growth market; Chinese investment and commerce. While French Indochina lacked navally significant ports, it could likely provide colonial troops and supplies in a way Tsingtao never could. Most French troops deployed for policing in China were sourced from Annam, and significant numbers of Indochinese served on the Western Front.

Also remember that British and Portuguese African possessions were unavailable to Germany in 1919, leaving only French and Belgian colonies. As the former were relatively unprofitable, the latter was running at a loss, and they'd no longer be putting resources toward occupying Anglo-Portuguese colonies, it makes sense to me that the Germans would look elsewhere to compensate.

Naval overextension is of course a legitimate concern, but Germany presumably possessed an equal or greater ability to project power compared to France even before the war, given its larger navy. Japan wasn't an overriding concern in 1919, with its second/third rate navy, and the non-participation of the United States in the war, plus the absence of the Lansing-Ishii Agreement, means Germany could likely count on the United States as a balancing power- a role it had played in East Asia since (at the very least) 1900. With France cut out of the region entirely, the only power able to seize German East Asian colonies unchallenged would be Britain; a second major naval contest with which would threaten German African holdings just as much as Indochina, making them no more viable.

At the end of the day it's also worth remembering that if Indochina became too problematic Germany could always attempt to sell or exchange the colony. Wilson wasn't waving his 14 points in everyone's faces KRTL, so self-determination and decolonization wouldn't be at the forefront of anyone's minds.

As for the matter of racism, I'm not sure I understand the argument there at all. Europeans were, on the whole, about as racist toward East Asians as Africans at the time, so I'm not sure why ruling over one would be more or less acceptable than the other on a purely racial basis. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intended angle, though.

For French economic claims, see this linked document.

For naval size comparisons, see P. G. Halpern's "A Naval History of World War I".

Last edited:
@Flamefang can you tell us more about how is China under the rule of the Manchu party?
If you mean how a Manchu party-led China would turn out... probably not so well. Most of its higher figures are aging or impotent, embody an authoritarian style of rule, and represent an ethnic minority government, none of which lend themselves to stability or effective governance.

They had no plan for China? The Young China Party, apart from liking anime characters, have their own plans.
As far as I know they didn't have much of one historically, they were focused mostly on regaining power. As I've said elsewhere they may preserve the assembly or create a new parliament and lean on that for legitimacy, but that the end of the day they are looking to restore the old-school monarchy, and they're conservatives in every sense of the word. For progressive-type monarchism you have to look at the NCERA or YCP.

As far as I know they didn't have much of one historically, they were focused mostly on regaining power. As I've said elsewhere they may preserve the assembly or create a new parliament and lean on that for legitimacy, but that the end of the day they are looking to restore the old-school monarchy, and they're conservatives in every sense of the word. For progressive-type monarchism you have to look at the NCERA or YCP.
Thanks, you rock!

For progressive-type monarchism you have to look at the NCERA or YCP.
Do you know what at least a very weird situation between progressive tape wallet is a inDo you know what at least a very weird situation between progressive Type Monarchism and the German supported style constitutional monarchy may lead to an interesting form of the cold war of anyone’s think about something that’s really out there

Do you know what at least a very weird situation between progressive tape wallet is a inDo you know what at least a very weird situation between progressive Type Monarchism and the German supported style constitutional monarchy may lead to an interesting form of the cold war of anyone’s think about something that’s really out there
I have to admit, I don't know what a "progressive tape wallet" is exactly, but yes a cold war between monarchies would be pretty unusual. Do bear in mind though that both the YCP and NCERA are only progressive by Chinese standards, for the most part.

I have to admit, I don't know what a "progressive tape wallet" is exactly, but yes a cold war between monarchies would be pretty unusual. Do bear in mind though that both the YCP and NCERA are only progressive by Chinese standards, for the most part.
I meant more inspiring for anticolonial movements to more traditionalist than our timeline

So I am gradually working my way through Kaiserreich's updated Eastern Europe content. Belarus was good, don't get me wrong, but whoever was the dev for Lithuania really did a great job. The events are very good, the trees are good, and above all it feels dynamic. A criticism I had when playing Germany is that it felt kind of...dry, if you know what I mean, whereas with Lithuania you have a lot of interesting decisions to click on. It's similar to the the updated tree for the United Baltic Duchy that came out last year (but with less OP bonuses) where the Reichspakt puppet is more interesting than Germany itself.