Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

I still think the AUS is made to be cartoonishly right-wing in vanilla. At least swap up Long for someone who was less affiliated with progressives. And the devs are too dismissive of the Technocracy movement. But anyway.

At the time of the original Kr there was not enought info about long online, or even for other American populists, to the point that who was used as a American radical was the same as vanilla hearts of iron 2, Fritz Kuhn. The idea was to have one democratic, one far left and one fascist faction, and since Long was a southern populist they took him, to the point that Long was not a autdem, he was a pat aut. This was fixed on Hoi IV, but I agree it lacks content. The focus keep coming after the end of the civil war but about six events come out later and Long does in '52 (very early, he's not even 60 yet).

I still think the AUS is made to be cartoonishly right-wing in vanilla. At least swap up Long for someone who was less affiliated with progressives. And the devs are too dismissive of the Technocracy movement. But anyway.
Huey's America is basically vaguely lefty populism on economics, "I don't care what you do as long as you vote for Huey Long as you've been told to" on social policy. He's basically a less openly kleptocratic Putin, and can be charitably seen as a man who genuinely wants to help his people but has been consumed by ego.
INB4 "Canada and Sand France could never achieve anything useful"

But seriously, I was able to load a savefile in the new version without any warning that the mod was outdated and, let me tell you, Germany in 1943 getting a pop up about Quebec having a conscription crises after the Second Peace With Honour is weird.

The game's rules changed so you can manually invite people into factions, and the computer asking you to invite the Union of Britain into Mitteleuropa is even weirder
Canada and Sand France couldn't accomplish anything useful and absolutely should have more debuffs than they have now.

You can change the game rules now to disallow manual invites, btw. The save file might be the issue there, I started a new one so I could test new Canada. (Had a good time letting Eddie and the Exiles fuck everything to Hell in a handbasket and go nuts with conscription until Quebec basically exploded on them)

You can change the game rules now to disallow manual invites, btw. The save file might be the issue there,

Oh I know it's the save file, it's just I'm surprised as normally when going through versions it would give you a warning to say "Mod versions don't match" or something on those lines. This one didn't so I decided to see what madness was going on.

So, a critic I have to KR italy is that it follows the myth of a strong fascist state. I believe that due the sheer amount of militarization that Balbo puts on Italy, you should get consequences for it, if not immediately, they should come as time goes on.

I say myth of a strong fascist state because many games, especially strategy ones, show totalitarism (Be far right or far left) not as a conglomerate of REALLY GOOD IDEAS (sarcasm) but instead as a cartoonish effective state that RESTORE THE NATIONAL GLORY! Mods like TNO and CBtS gives some bonuses but also many maluses for economies like that, and I believe that KR should add too. For the start, Balboist italy should suffer some research maluses since the research and development department is being used for war only, so you could have the bonuses for industry expansion but a -5% research speed. You could also have a higher consumer goods production for their insane social policies, the birth rate act gives you +5% consumer goods factory this helps, but the legionarist youth and other things should also consume more factories, every single one of them. After a while you could get a malus for keeping the war economy, more strikes, a growing reduction of reliability of the equipment, and also revert from a export focus economy to a closed one.

I think the AUS suffers as a concept because the original one in HOI2 was such a weird grab-bag of figures, not helped by the last minute decision to shift their base of power from the Plains to the Solid South (which also removes what I think was the initial point behind the CSA's initials, a northern CSA fighting against a rump Southern USA - it was 2004, this is what Alternate History was like back then!).

I think the AUS suffers as a concept because the original one in HOI2 was such a weird grab-bag of figures, not helped by the last minute decision to shift their base of power from the Plains to the Solid South (which also removes what I think was the initial point behind the CSA's initials, a northern CSA fighting against a rump Southern USA - it was 2004, this is what Alternate History was like back then!).

Do you have more info/source on the AUS originally the great plains faction? Cause that and a rump southern USA sounds pretty interesting.

I really wish the original forums (of which a backup exists with one of the KR devs) was uploaded somewhere. There's history of alternate history creation right there.

Kaiserreich is not a good vs evil mod, it is made to be realistic.
Umm. No. It really wasn't. It was made to be fun. Realism is a recent trend. That said, it isn't a good v. evil mod, simply because of Kaiserreich's policy of assuming every political system works as intended in order to keep the mod politically neutral.

Umm. No. It really wasn't. It was made to be fun. Realism is a recent trend. That said, it isn't a good v. evil mod, simply because of Kaiserreich's policy of assuming every political system works as intended in order to keep the mod politically neutral.

Well, going by this point it is true. On Kr all systems work as designed.

Do you have more info/source on the AUS originally the great plains faction? Cause that and a rump southern USA sounds pretty interesting.

Not him, but:

eL9eavw.jpg

The map used to look like this. The older version of Kaiserpedia (not the current official one) isn't very useful as the former cs.servegame forum or even the ancient one used before 2008 but still probably worth a visit if you're into the legacy version.

Last edited:
Not him, but:

eL9eavw.jpg

The map used to look like this. The older version of Kaiserpedia (not the current official one) isn't very useful as the former cs.servegame forum or even the ancient one used before 2008 but still probably worth a visit if you're into the legacy version.
It's... oddly more realistic than the current civil war, with Huey having a coalition of midwestern/great plains rural progressives and some southern conservatives, the CSA losing territory due to the rural progressives aligning with Huey over the urban and radical syndicalists, and the feds hanging on to the moderate east coast. At least we have the World Set Free which brings back most of this.

Do you have a link to the "cs.servegame forum" and even older wiki or are they lost?

I'm not against this per se, but it still weights things heavily in Huey's favor and makes the Feds IMO too weak.
It might work if in non-MacArthur runs the green is not the PSA but a 'Western Military Command' or other term for something that remains part of the Feds and is only under a separate tag for in-universe administrative and out-universe AI purposes, and can tag-switch to the USA if the eastern Feds fall (and gets automatically annexed if the Feds win), especially if Huey gets hit with maluses representing how unwieldy his coalition is. In a MacArthur run... well, I don't really find it wrong that'd he'd make the Feds considerably weaker than under a democratic president with at least some legitimacy.

It might work if in non-MacArthur runs the green is not the PSA but a 'Western Military Command' or other term for something that remains part of the Feds and is only under a separate tag for in-universe administrative and out-universe AI purposes, and can tag-switch to the USA if the eastern Feds fall (and gets automatically annexed if the Feds win), especially if Huey gets hit with maluses representing how unwieldy his coalition is. In a MacArthur run... well, I don't really find it wrong that'd he'd make the Feds considerably weaker than under a democratic president with at least some legitimacy.
I've long advocated for the PSA being the "Pacific Defense Command of the Several Free and Loyal Democratic States of the United States of America" and only becoming the PSA if an authoritarian regime runs the former USA (so if MacArthur gives up power and the new government purges military influence from the government through a revised focus tree, or Huey sets up actually fair elections through another alternate focus tree, or the CSA goes democratic, they re-join without a fight).

It's... oddly more realistic than the current civil war, with Huey having a coalition of midwestern/great plains rural progressives and some southern conservatives, the CSA losing territory due to the rural progressives aligning with Huey over the urban and radical syndicalists, and the feds hanging on to the moderate east coast. At least we have the World Set Free which brings back most of this.

Do you have a link to the "cs.servegame forum" and even older wiki or are they lost?

The former forum at cs.servegame.com was lost but some posts are still accessible via the infamous Internet Archive. This link lists everything crawled from the former forum by that site. (The actual contents starts from the page 52)