Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

Something I find interesting to add to the Brazil thing is that the most unlikeable faction, along with the totalists, would be the breakway state of Sao Paulo. That is where I live OTL and they are led by the same eugenic coffe oligarchy that couped the empire and divided power with the oligarchy of Minas on the old republic. One ironic bittersweet thing is that the guy who leads then if they rebel against the empire or Vargas is Marcondes Salgado, he took pat on the planning on the civil war in 1932 and as he was watching conscripts to demonstrate how a new mortar worked during the '32 civil war they dropped the bomb inside the mortar it exploded everything killing him on the process. This might sounds cold but it was similar to the american civil war and he was the brazilian equivalent to a confederate.

That being said they had a song that rocked, that is present on Kr, this one:

Edited for a better phrasing.

Last edited:

Tiburon

Banned

Honestly in a lot of ways Kaiserreich really is a world trapped by the specter of World War One. Canada, National France, Sardinia and Russia especially are driven by the idea of retaking what was once their’s. Australasia is haunted by the shadow of Gallipoli. Germany is desperately trying to hold together the products of World War One which gave them their empire even though the result is a center which can’t hold.

Even the Syndicalists have embraced this idea. France starts a world war over Alsace and Lorraine and goes after Switzerland for a tiny, meaningless chunk of land. England bullies Ireland for no real reason other than the Irish being there.

But the thing is is that World War One was more shades of grey than a set up with good or bad guys. With a few exceptions—Iron Guard Romania, Pelley, Goering, Savinkov(as much as I enjoy playing as him). Yeah Nationalist France is an a authoritarian pseudo-dictatorship, but as the player you can—-at a fairly hefty stability hit—give the native peoples a degree of equality.

So honestly I kinda think the whole idea of the Entente not being the good guys is kinda missing an important point. Yeah, they are bastions of imperialism and can be pretty shitty places for the locals, but that’s true about just about everywhere in Kaiserreich to a certain degree. That’s where the player comes In. You can guide a nation from being an authoritarian regime to a peaceful, prosperous nation where those exiled for political beliefs can safely return home. Or you can build a brand new world order where the down-trodden and the poor now are actually free from the crushing grind and struggle to survive of the past. Or you can take an exploitative system born out of the ashes of the First World War and craft a genuine partnership with other European nations. Even Mittleafrika can turn into something good, or at least not road of bones style utterly shitty.

Last edited:
With a few exceptions—Iron Guard Romania, Pelley, Goering, Savinkov(as much as I enjoy playing as him).
You're forgetting natpop Japan (which is...literally just OTL Japan but with a more divided opposition) and Zhang Zhongchang (who is a worthless dirtbag, knows it, and seeks only to become even more of a total rat bastard).

IMO to really bring the WW1 redux theme in more, WK2 should have varying start options. Like, democratic France goes to war with Germany not because "gib clay" but because of a tragicomedy of errors resulting from protests in Nanzig or something (totalitarian France can go to war because "gib clay" for a more WW2 esque experience); democratic Britain should have no real reason to quarrel with Ireland; the Switzerland thing isn't so much France bullying them these days as Switzerland literally just grabbed land with a flimsy justification and France is finally stable enough to say "oy, don't do that".

Tiburon

Banned
You're forgetting natpop Japan (which is...literally just OTL Japan but with a more divided opposition) and Zhang Zhongchang (who is a worthless dirtbag, knows it, and seeks only to become even more of a total rat bastard).

IMO to really bring the WW1 redux theme in more, WK2 should have varying start options. Like, democratic France goes to war with Germany not because "gib clay" but because of a tragicomedy of errors resulting from protests in Nanzig or something (totalitarian France can go to war because "gib clay" for a more WW2 esque experience); democratic Britain should have no real reason to quarrel with Ireland; the Switzerland thing isn't so much France bullying them these days as Switzerland literally just grabbed land with a flimsy justification and France is finally stable enough to say "oy, don't do that".

Oh yeah very true. I almost never go Nat Pop as Japan and they are still pretty freaking aggressive no matter what political route you choose so I almost forget they could do that tbh.

And yeah, calling Zhang Zongcheng a “bastard“ seems pretty mild considering what a shitty human being he is but about half the time in recent games the Qing loyalist guy wins the power struggle.

In my mini Kaiserreich timeline that I’ve been doing, Sword of the Vozhd, based on my really long Russian State play through(hit 1957 before the China rework came out) that’s how I justified the Entente and Reichspakt going to war(because, of course, you can’t just go “because the AI is an idiot” in your story). There were reunification protests in North France, things started spilling out of control, German unit panicked and opened fire, causing a stampede, couple hundred people died and the Nationalist France, in a frenzy of outrage, declared war and pulled the rest of the Entente along with them.

I do think England should be allowed to launch a propaganda campaign— like they can do in the “Words“ national focus— but an out and out invasion, much less the gunboat diplomacy \ carrier intimidation tactics— probably shouldn’t fly. On a side note during my one long UOB play through Canada protected Ireland and I trolled the hell out of them by having the diplomatic meeting exit....and proceed along a route past a crowd of Irish syndicalists cheering the UOB. It was kinda funny lol

Last edited:
And yeah, calling Zhang Zongcheng a “bastard“ seems pretty mild considering what a shitty human being he is but about half the time in recent games the Qing loyalist guy wins the power struggle.
I just did a Red America run where he beat Nanjing and the left-KMT and turned half the Chinese coastline into a drug smuggling corridor. Ended up working with Fengtian after I cheesed Japan with marine spam while letting them invade the Pacific states to encircle most of their army (never seen an AI be so stupid lol), and by that point I was more busy trying to prop up France and didn't have the time to use Korea as a springboard to invade his private opium plantation.
Oh yeah very true. I almost never go Nat Pop as Japan and they are still pretty freaking aggressive no matter what political route you choose so I almost forget they could do that tbh.
Hardliner Japan literally institutes the Three Alls policy to annihilate the Chinese people.

The bright side is that Japan can just be a hypocritical expansionist regime operating on 19th century ideas, so...plus side?

I mean they use the term popular revolution, which is not a good sign. They also ignore the fact that India has democracy for example.
For me, kr has always been about Liberating Europe from Syndies as the Entente, then maybe reclaiming parts of the Empire.
Delhi doesn't have democracy. The nicest possible interpretation is that it's a bunch of local strongmen and despots using the Raj as a fig leaf to justify their own rule. Out of the three Indias, only Bharat has actual democracy (unless Bose takes over and turns it into basically a nationalist dictatorship).

Also...Sand France is literally a colonial regime AND a military dictatorship at the same time that literally uses black people as slaves, Australasia starts out a dictatorship and has to have democracy restored, the West Indies are a white-supremacist patchwork that mostly exists to stop the non-white people from telling Eddie to piss off, and Canada has been straight-up hijacked by the royals and their pet minions so that they can throw away lives in a futile attempt to retake a country that told them to get lost because it was time to become a republican regime.

Those are not the good guys.

So if liberal democracy were to prevail, it would be in the form of Germany adopting liberal reforms under the NLP or SPD, basically?
Or Governor Chen's China, in the '50s or '60s.

Honestly Germany is kinda on a collision course with liberal reforms, especially if we extend the WW1 mark 2 concept.

Yeah Nationalist France is an a authoritarian pseudo-dictatorship, but as the player you can—-at a fairly hefty stability hit—give the native peoples a degree of equality.
Not to mention that there are people in these faction that might be more open than the rest of the available options.

In National France for example, there is De Gaulle. OTL, the man was a bit authoritarian but still more a democrat than anything else. He also had played a key role in the handling of decolonization, which was done rather peacefully through negotiations. So in a scenario where he gains a major role, it's possible he could lead Nationalist France down a path that frees its colonies once the mainland is reconquered.
There are rarely ever really good or bad guys in History.

Hell, one of the reasons so many people like Kaisserreich is because there are many options on the table when you choose to play a certain faction. Members of the International for example have options ranging from nearly-utopian Democratic Syndicalism to utter dystopian Stalinian Totalitarianism. The German Empire has several options, going from a liberalizing force to turning even more Authoritarian than it already was. And the Entente is basically the same: they have their more democratic factions and they have their more Authoritarian factions.

Sure, some factions taking power seems more likely than others. However, there is nothing certain in History: anything can happen if it's given the right circumstances.

The same way, some factions are probably more likeable than others. But then we enter the realm of personnal opinion: aside from factions that were designed to be objectively bad (like AUS under Pelley or Mosley's Totalist Britain), most people will think the best faction to be the one that aligns the best with their views. To some, the Internationale are more likely to fill that roles. To others, this will probably be filled by the Kaissereich. And finally, another group will go for the Entente. Neither is particularly wrong because anything and everything really are on the table.

Delhi doesn't have democracy. The nicest possible interpretation is that it's a bunch of local strongmen and despots using the Raj as a fig leaf to justify their own rule. Out of the three Indias, only Bharat has actual democracy (unless Bose takes over and turns it into basically a nationalist dictatorship).

Also...Sand France is literally a colonial regime AND a military dictatorship at the same time that literally uses black people as slaves, Australasia starts out a dictatorship and has to have democracy restored, the West Indies are a white-supremacist patchwork that mostly exists to stop the non-white people from telling Eddie to piss off, and Canada has been straight-up hijacked by the royals and their pet minions so that they can throw away lives in a futile attempt to retake a country that told them to get lost because it was time to become a republican regime.

Uhm, the nicest possible interpretation of Delhi definitely covers democracy given they have, you know, elections that decide the government and can be won by multiple parties covering a wide political range (unlike, say, the Long's AUS) - even parties led by people willing to negotiate and unite with an amenable Bharatiya government (eg., with Gandhi).