Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

@Flamefang I'm not sure if you're the overall China dev still, either way the work in Kaisreich China is awesome.

What I am wondering is if there were any current plans to add post unification content to any tags that are not the federalists. As it stands the two tags I see as the most important to China: Qing/Zhili and Fengtian have extremely limited or basically no content for after having put China back together. I would be thrilled to here that there is more content planned for these tags, as I feel they are some of the most unique and rewarding in the mod.

@Flamefang I'm not sure if you're the overall China dev still, either way the work in Kaisreich China is awesome.

What I am wondering is if there were any current plans to add post unification content to any tags that are not the federalists. As it stands the two tags I see as the most important to China: Qing/Zhili and Fengtian have extremely limited or basically no content for after having put China back together. I would be thrilled to here that there is more content planned for these tags, as I feel they are some of the most unique and rewarding in the mod.

I am the regional head for China still, yeah.

This is something I've mentioned occasionally on the subreddit and in the Discord, but while the China rework's release generally went well and we were all quite happy with it, like many large projects it practically limped out of the door. We had a few nasty surprises in the last few months, like people fading away and/or lying about progress with their tag, meaning others had to fill in at the last minute. That's why some tags like Shanxi, Hunan, Anqing, and the LEP are relatively unfinished, and part of why other tags lack unification content. But, probably the biggest reason you haven't seen much in the way of post-unification content is that most people just moved on, and have been working on other things since. As modding is hardly paid, I can't exactly crack the whip and get people to work on China again, and the reason we didn't delay the release to include the post-unification content is also pretty similar - people get fatigued after working on a single project for so long.

Though we do have ongoing work in China, there's currently a total of three people (including myself) committed to the area, which is less than a quarter of the team we had in mid-2019. I'd like to see more post-unification content added, but for now I'm swamped with China bugs and suggestions, as well as managing other projects like the wiki and a rework that'll have to go unnamed.

This is something I've mentioned occasionally on the subreddit and in the Discord, but while the China rework's release generally went well and we were all quite happy with it, like many large projects it practically limped out of the door. We had a few nasty surprises in the last few months, like people fading away and/or lying about progress with their tag, meaning others had to fill in at the last minute. That's why some tags like Shanxi, Hunan, Anqing, and the LEP are relatively unfinished, and part of why other tags lack unification content. But, probably the biggest reason you haven't seen much in the way of post-unification content is that most people just moved on, and have been working on other things since. As modding is hardly paid, I can't exactly crack the whip and get people to work on China again, and the reason we didn't delay the release to include the post-unification content is also pretty similar - people get fatigued after working on a single project for so long.

Though we do have ongoing work in China, there's currently a total of three people (including myself) committed to the area, which is less than a quarter of the team we had in mid-2019. I'd like to see more post-unification content added, but for now I'm swamped with China bugs and suggestions, as well as managing other projects like the wiki and a rework that'll have to go unnamed.
I understand. Thank you for the work you have done, and hope that in your future projects you and the rest of the people who worked with you have all the success in the world. I really enjoy the content.

Flame, I asked this on the Reddit and nobody answered, so please enlight me on something.

Something I fear a lot about playing as the Manchu party (My second favourite Qing route) is that I fear they might leave the country underdeveloped with massive unliteracy and in general work as something you would expect from Reza Pahlevi Iran, is that accurate, or they do plan to bring the country into the 20th century?

Flame, I asked this on the Reddit and nobody answered, so please enlight me on something.

Something I fear a lot about playing as the Manchu party (My second favourite Qing route) is that I fear they might leave the country underdeveloped with massive unliteracy and in general work as something you would expect from Reza Pahlevi Iran, is that accurate, or they do plan to bring the country into the 20th century?
I don't think there's an easy answer to that question, because it depends a lot on who ends up taking the reigns in the Zhongshe Party, and then how intelligent/forward-thinking that person, or those people, are. Unfortunately we don't have a lot to work with when it comes to the wider views of the Aisin-Gioro who survived the early Republic, especially considering the ideological framework later imposed by the CCP. We can't use the views of, say, Pujie post-1949 because his views had likely been substantially altered by the CCP's system of prison "reform".

However, I think we can extrapolate two most-likely outcomes.

1. The Manchu leadership is aware that their ethnicity and style of government leaves them politically vulnerable, and so they make genuine efforts to rebuild the country and reform along the lines of a constitutional monarchy. From a purely logical perspective this makes sense, since it's probably the only way the monarchy could survive in the long term. The Manchu coup's success is already a stretch even by alternate-history standards, especially if you assume the Manchu are actually successful in surviving the Japanese invasion and asserting control over the rest of China. The primary problem with this route is that it isn't really clear where the initiative to undertake such a wide-ranging series of reforms would come from. Perhaps Pujie, since he's younger, maybe less fixed in his ways, and bears a wider range of experiences than the remaining aristocracy? That's going out on a bit of a limb, in my opinion. Perhaps Zaifeng, who from what I've read seems to have actually been a decent person? That's tough because he seems to have hated the burden of leadership. Maybe someone else? I haven't looked into the extended Aisin-Gioro family, so I can't say for sure.

2. The Manchu Party leadership isn't aware that their ethnicity and style of government leaves them politically vulnerable, and so they resist attempts to reform, leading to stagnation and inevitable revolution. Basically Xinhai 2.0. To me this seems a more likely outcome, since the majority of the remaining Aisin-Gioro seem to have been a mix of out of touch and unwilling to truly lead. Monarchies can, in theory, be very effective at taking decisive action, but to do so they require a decisive leader, which in 1936 the Manchu don't seem to have.

I don't think there's an easy answer to that question, because it depends a lot on who ends up taking the reigns in the Zhongshe Party, and then how intelligent/forward-thinking that person, or those people, are. Unfortunately we don't have a lot to work with when it comes to the wider views of the Aisin-Gioro who survived the early Republic, especially considering the ideological framework later imposed by the CCP. We can't use the views of, say, Pujie post-1949 because his views had likely been substantially altered by the CCP's system of prison "reform".

However, I think we can extrapolate two most-likely outcomes.

1. The Manchu leadership is aware that their ethnicity and style of government leaves them politically vulnerable, and so they make genuine efforts to rebuild the country and reform along the lines of a constitutional monarchy. From a purely logical perspective this makes sense, since it's probably the only way the monarchy could survive in the long term. The Manchu coup's success is already a stretch even by alternate-history standards, especially if you assume the Manchu are actually successful in surviving the Japanese invasion and asserting control over the rest of China. The primary problem with this route is that it isn't really clear where the initiative to undertake such a wide-ranging series of reforms would come from. Perhaps Pujie, since he's younger, maybe less fixed in his ways, and bears a wider range of experiences than the remaining aristocracy? That's going out on a bit of a limb, in my opinion. Perhaps Zaifeng, who from what I've read seems to have actually been a decent person? That's tough because he seems to have hated the burden of leadership. Maybe someone else? I haven't looked into the extended Aisin-Gioro family, so I can't say for sure.

2. The Manchu Party leadership isn't aware that their ethnicity and style of government leaves them politically vulnerable, and so they resist attempts to reform, leading to stagnation and inevitable revolution. Basically Xinhai 2.0. To me this seems a more likely outcome, since the majority of the remaining Aisin-Gioro seem to have been a mix of out of touch and unwilling to truly lead. Monarchies can, in theory, be very effective at taking decisive action, but to do so they require a decisive leader, which in 1936 the Manchu don't seem to have.
I go for them since I have this intrinsic belief that if the monarchy doesn't hold some power, it will be eventually abolished (I think this is inevitable for countries like Norway, UK, sweden, etc), but I also fear they might not be able to take decisive action as you imply in your last line, ouch

It is realistic for, on my headcannon, some kind of "prussianist" strongmen to modernize, industrialize and increase literacy in china under that party, or that is wish fullfilment?

Can someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to get Smedley Butler to coup Earl Browder. I didn't reorganize the government but every time Butler just dies of an "illness". Is the coup still in the game? Am I supposed to avoid a certain focus? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

What you're describing is basically the YCP (Young China Party).
Yes, on everything but one thing, the YCP is in power on that route, not the Dynasty...

I believe that on a scenario under the YCP, eventually the government will go "Why should we keep the royals here? Our national China is strong and they don't do anything...".

The YCP is by far my favourite route and the one I agree the most, it is also the one I believe it will result in a better China, but I don't think they would keep the monarchy...

Yes, on everything but one thing, the YCP is in power on that route, not the Dynasty...

I believe that on a scenario under the YCP, eventually the government will go "Why should we keep the royals here? Our national China is strong and they don't do anything...".

The YCP is by far my favourite route and the one I agree the most, it is also the one I believe it will result in a better China, but I don't think they would keep the monarchy...
Depends if you think the German Empire will come to the same conclusion should it win the WK. The YCP's theory is basically "Do what the strongest country is doing", so if the strongest country is Germany, and they've kept around the monarchy, then the YCP will too.

Depends if you think the German Empire will come to the same conclusion should it win the WK. The YCP's theory is basically "Do what the strongest country is doing", so if the strongest country is Germany, and they've kept around the monarchy, then the YCP will too.
Right, so I gonna play as them even more now =D thanks

Edit, Also, the other parties still exist, so if the YCP tries to end the monarchy the Manchu party and NCERA can protest it too

Viola

Banned
What would a realistic Qing China look like through the fifties and sixties?
It depends on how they get out of the Weltkrieg period, ranging from a a kleptocratic autocracy where the formality of a constitutional monarchy can't hide the reality of a state ran by warlords with weak authority in the most remote regions, to something more optimistic like a not-so-kleptocratic-but-still-kleptocratic autocracy that has successfully made important steps in reforming the administration, taming the warlords back into a regular military and has a decent level of control over the most remote regions of the country.