Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by RiverDelta, Dec 30, 2017.

1. HIM Dogson Rationally Royalist

Prague, rightful domains of the house of Hapsburg
    Huh, just like my canon on the photos thread. Who won between Germany and Russia?

2. Inquisition Entirely Unexpected

With the might of Europe behind it, Germany eventually won - although it was too weakened to stop the CSA from getting a foothold in Europe after beating National France. My headcanon is that the Cold War era Internationale consists of the Americas, Southeast Asia, North Africa, CNT-FAI, and Japan, while the German alliance is the rest of Europe and Russia.

3. Magnimik Honorary Judeo-Bolshevik

4. Magnimik Honorary Judeo-Bolshevik

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    StephenColbert27 and Oledude like this.
  5. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

Wow, Mitteleuropa is apparently gone. That's... almost as deep a change as when Wrangel was changed to the Moderate Military Man.

6. Worffan101 Dirty Communist

What????? Where the Hell is this and what is this foolishness?

theg*ddam*hoi2fan likes this.
  7. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

To be clearer (I realized I should have noted it after posting... about half an hour after, so a bit late to smoothly edit it in redface.gif ), there is still a German-led alliance system which covers much of Europe as well as Germany's colonies, but it isn't named Mitteleuropa anymore. It's called the Reichspakt, which TBH I'm meh about.
    The thing about it being deep was for how long Mitteleuropa has been around as the name for the German alliance. I'm pretty sure it was right since Kaiserreich began, and Wrangel only beats it because he went back to All the Russias.

BootOnFace, Kirook, chankljp and 3 others like this.
  8. HIM Dogson Rationally Royalist

It's called the Reichpakt now, I believe. But while Wrangel becoming a moderate military man was good and faithful to the personality of one of the few decent men in the entire Russian Civil War, this just feels like saying goodbye to an old friend. I would say, though, that changing it to something more universal after the end of WKII makes sense.

9. Worffan101 Dirty Communist

OK, but...seriously, what the hell? It's still going to start as Mitteleuropa, right?

10. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

Probably not. So far as I can gather the coding needed to rename factions that already exist is much more complicated in HOI4 than in DH.

11. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

What I am hoping for is that references to Mitteleuropa are still kept in Germany's focus tree, national spirits and such - basically, make Mitteleuropa the 'British Empire' to the Reichspakt's 'Entente'.

12. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

Under a bridge, handing out business cards
    Plus it’s the actual historical name for the concept:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitteleuropa

Why change it?

13. Yorel Well-Known Member

Maybe because from a geographical POV, Mitteleuropa also includes the Austro-Hungarian Empire. However, at the start of the game, the Hapsburgs aren't part of the german alliance and might not join it.

14. Landser03 Well-Known Member

It's not being changed, it's way too iconic and historic besides. What I think happened is Germany went down the path to create the proto EU focus paths, which aren't completely finished yet. One path is literally the EU we know and the other is the mentioned Reichspakt.

15. Magnimik Honorary Judeo-Bolshevik

LordInsane likes this.
  16. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

There's apparently also Discord talk prompted by the leak, although I don't bother with Discord. Too hard to find specific things.

President Earl Warren likes this.
  17. Landser03 Well-Known Member

18. Magnimik Honorary Judeo-Bolshevik

[​IMG]
    Teaser for Huey Long's reworked political tree.

Source.

NotA_Potato, Mumby, Ice34 and 4 others like this.
  19. HIM Dogson Rationally Royalist

Well, now two factions have the chance to do something about racism. Honestly I wonder if Long just ends up being horseshoe theory with some of the Totalists. This seems somewhat like Civic Nationalism mixed with State Capitalism.

Drizzly Mary, Magnimik and RiverDelta like this.
  20. HIM Dogson Rationally Royalist

Also, speaking of horseshoe theory, Natpop Japan's Kodoha path seems a lot like Nationalist Totalism, so Sorelians and Maximists. The Nationalism is obvious, and then their program includes nationalization of the Zaibatsus, which in practice ends up as State Capitalism. It would be interesting to know if Araki IOTL was basically Strasserist like this, because KR makes him seem like it.

Drizzly Mary and RiverDelta like this.