K-7 Map Thread

hello alternatehistory.com, if you have created a large alternate history map on this site you have probably used the q-bam. well, no offense, but the q-bam usually doesn't use any real methods other than "look at reference and draw," which makes it more of a drawing than a projection, and as linbot said, a frankenstein map. i've used it for a pretty long while and i have to say that the cons many times outweigh the pros, as you can't use any software or calculations to shape a real map into a q-bam projection. that's why i'm going to use software and calculations to create a map that i'd like to call the 'k-7', which is short for kavraisky vii (totally not stolen from ashtagon). i've gathered several maps across the internet like infinity stones and used g-projector to turn them into a kavraisky projection. using these maps i will finish a modern day k-7 map that looks nearly the same as your average q-bam, with the slight difference being that it's a real projection. here's a little sneak peek:

1684818779694.png

as you can see, this map which is from g-projector calculations looks like a real hand-drawn map. keep in mind that there may be a slight room for error (maybe a pixel or two), as i am merely tracing (mainly) naturalearthdata's admin 1 map while occasionally using openstreetmap as a reference. if i do not do this, the border will be thick and weird. the water/land basemap is from nasa worldview (of which the outline is created using a blur effect, i could create a tutorial here). you can make any changes or patches to the map once it is finished which will be in about two weeks, but i am only using this for my youtube series. i will come back here every once in a while to check the thread and make any changes if requested. hope you have fun making alternate history maps and whatnot with the k-7, this will serve as a basemap. with all that having been said, i'll cya when i'm done

Last edited:
hello alternatehistory.com, if you have created a large alternate history map on this site you have probably used the q-bam. well, no offense, but the q-bam usually doesn't use any real methods other than "look at reference and draw," which makes it more of a drawing than a projection, and as linbot said, a frankenstein map. i've used it for a pretty long while and i have to say that the cons many times outweigh the pros, as you can't use any software or calculations to shape a real map into a q-bam projection. that's why i'm going to use software and calculations to create a map that i'd like to call the 'k-7', which is short for kavraisky vii (totally not stolen from ashtagon). i've gathered several maps across the internet like infinity stones and used g-projector to turn them into a kavraisky projection. using these maps i will finish a modern day k-7 map that looks nearly the same as your average q-bam, with the slight difference being that it's a real projection. here's a little sneak peek:

View attachment 833115

as you can see, this map which is from g-projector calculations looks like a real hand-drawn map. keep in mind that there may be a slight room for error (maybe a pixel or two), as i am merely tracing (mainly) naturalearthdata's admin 1 map while occasionally using openstreetmap as a reference. if i do not do this, the border will be thick and weird. the water/land basemap is from nasa worldview (of which the outline is created from a blur effect, i could create a tutorial here). you can make any changes or patches to the map once it is finished which will be in about two weeks, but i am only using this for my youtube series. i will come back here every once in a while to check the thread and make any changes if requested. hope you have fun making alternate history maps and whatnot with the k-7, this will serve as a basemap. with all that having been said, i'll cya when i'm done
So what your proposing is a full-on , Kilometre by kilometre , mile by mile , generation of the world? Good luck. I'm very intrigued.

View attachment 833115

as you can see, this map which is from g-projector calculations looks like a real hand-drawn map. keep in mind that there may be a slight room for error (maybe a pixel or two), as i am merely tracing (mainly) naturalearthdata's admin 1 map while occasionally using openstreetmap as a reference. if i do not do this, the border will be thick and weird. the water/land basemap is from nasa worldview (of which the outline is created from a blur effect, i could create a tutorial here). you can make any changes or patches to the map once it is finished which will be in about two weeks, but i am only using this for my youtube series. i will come back here every once in a while to check the thread and make any changes if requested. hope you have fun making alternate history maps and whatnot with the k-7, this will serve as a basemap. with all that having been said, i'll cya when i'm done
Would you be able to create a “mapper friendly” version WITHOUT all of those tiny lakes?

@dokidokiboy i have managed to remove each of the small lakes that are less than 5 pixels.
1684983912022.png

by the way, each pixel in this size of the map is equal to about 10 kilometers. the total map size is 4096x2048.

You need to separate the island Victoria is on from land because its not a peninsula, other than that I'm interested to see how your project turns out in the end.

23/06/09:
1686304934632.png

the map is fully complete. i will release each version here in a few hours
errors: kerguelen islands missing, issue with nasa worldview's ocean map. there may be some missing borders across the map, you can notify me here and i will try to fix it. the smaller islands cannot be seen, only islands that are one pixel of land surrounded by four pixels of coastline, i will try to add the one-pixel islands after my hiatus. maritime borders are not available yet, as i did not have time to add them to the map.

overall, the k-7 map project is finally finished, and it will be easy to map using this, as it is a real projection. with that being said, you may be able to fix any errors that i do not have time to fix during my hiatus, or you could add more to the map.

if you are confused about any of the borders being obfuscated by small lakes, you can use the mapper-friendly version of the map. if you want to create your own map, you can use the province version. graticule is available to help with mapping. there is also satellite imagery for anything that may involve it. political boundaries are of 22/12/01.

here is each rendition of the k-7 map:

basemap.png
basemapmf.png
k-7.png
noprov.png
mf.png
noprovmf.png
provinces.png
provincesmf.png
graticule10.png

(please check zip file for transparent version)
graticule1.png

(please check zip file for full quality and transparent versions)
up to date as of 23/08/24

Last edited:
(i made a video a long time ago, it was in q-bam format, so it was annoying to map with. i will use this for the remaster)

The map seems to not reflect some recent administrative changes:
SNNPR of Ethiopia was dissolved and replaced with 3 regions
Sierra Leone has a new province "Northwest"
Kazakhstan has 3 new regions created last year
Panama created a new Indigenous province, "Naso Tjër Di" 3 years ago
Algeria has 10 new regions in the south
Angola reorganised their Luanda and Bengo province in 2011
Pakistan's FATA region was merged into another a few years ago
Norway merged together some regions from 19 to 11
Indonesia created some new regions in Borneo and New Guinea since
Greenland created a new subdivision in 2018

This might not be all of them though, only the ones I could find

i will try to fix this when i have time, thank you for the feedback

got caught up with a different project, but now the corrections are 50% completed