Jutland Redux - A summer soltice shootout

2156 22 June 1916 - Kaiserin is now a lame duck
2156, 22 June 1916, SMS Kaiserin, North Sea

Kapitän zur See Karl Sievers's Kaiserin was staggering on as best she could, despite the sheer weight of metal aimed against her. Barely making 13 knots, she had fallen behind all other ships in the race to the Jade. She was now 500 meters behind Deutschland, who was a similar amount behind Moltke, the later of which had seemingly increased her speed. Of course, that left all three ships fully 2-3 km behind the last ship in the main line of the High Seas Fleet.

Beatty had steamed a long way to reengage the High Seas Fleet with little success so far, a single hit on Nassau, another on Westfalen and a third on the struggling Deutschland. Evan Thomas's five ships, however, were now concentrating on Kaiserin, Beatty having altered his tactics, now that the range had fallen to only 14,800 yards. Visibility was now poor and in response, he had resorted to slaloming his ships across the sterns of the fleeing Germans, reducing the range of closure, yet letting all ships make use of their full broadsides. Evan Thomas's 5th Battle Squadron plus HMS Tiger were all concentrating on Kaiserin. With fires aboard, she was an easier target. She was also being engaged by Agincourt and Royal Oak at the rear of Jellicoe's line. Being targeted by 70 heavy guns, spotting the fall of shot was almost impossible, however, quantity has a quality all of its own. Firstly, hit by Tiger at 2049, she was hit again by Malaya at 2052, by Queen Elizabeth at 2053 and finally at 2156 Warspite was to hit her twice more. The first hit from Warspite passed through her conning tower, killing most on station including her captain. The second smashed into her thin armour belt to the rear of the ship on the waterline, exploding fully and ripping a ten foot gap in the armour plate. Already slowed, Kaiserin, now without either her captain, slowed again to a dawdling 9 knots, all whilst still under fire from the onrushing British ships.

Last edited:
2201 22 June 1916 - Superb the last hit, sunset nears
2201, 22 June 1916, HMS Superb, North Sea

Superb staggered as a shell hit aft, her third shell hit of the day. yet she had also scored on her opponent some ten minutes ago. The sun was low on the horizon, the bottom part of what was a fiery orange ball, on such a fine day, just dipping below the horizon. The battleship was reduced to firing four gun salvos, her ammunition reduced to nine shells in her forward turret. Only her port wing turret, not in use in the second part of the engagement, remained well stocked with shells.

The shell, from SMS Oldenburg, represented the last hit on a British ship obtained by the main line of the High Seas Fleet during the engagement.

2204 22 June 1916, - KGV gets in on the action
2204, 22 June 1916, HMS King George V, North Sea

Vice Admiral Sir Martyn Jerram watched as a second red flower appeared on King George V's opponent, only some seven minutes after she had scored a first hit. He continued watching as the last vestiges of the red ball the was the sun finally winked out, leaving the surface of the sea with just a warm red glow. Sunset had arrived and he suspected the end of the engagement would not be far away.

Gunnery was getting more and more problematic and shells in short supply, although one would be forgiven for thinking so, give the volume of fire Beatty was directing at the three German ship off the back of the main German line. He watched as, yet again, the last ship in the line staggered under a new wave of shells.

Last edited:
Could be Kaiserin that allows the rest to escape. Is she still shooting back?
Well I think the majority of the German fleet have escaped.

The stragglers are Molkte, Pommern and Kaiserin. I think they will be sunk.

@johnboy are you mixing up Pommern and Oldenburg. Pommern exploded in the previous page and Oldenburg was mentioned as trailing the fleet. Although I don't know what the timing is. Sometimes you can get ahead with one post.

Kaiserin is being hit by 5 QE Tiger Agincourt and Royal Oak. Fair play to anyone who escape that. That said I think I would have dispatched a destroyer or two to finish Kaiserin off and retasked the ships.

The cripples have to pass the entire Grand Fleet to get away.

2205 22 June 1916 - Giving up the ghost on Vanguard
2205, 22 June 1916, HMS Vanguard, North Sea

As the sun winked out, Captain James Dick made his decision. Vanguard had been able to make no more than 8 knots, struggling against the direction of the currents. The ship had covered no more than 11 miles after she had pulled out of line, the scout cruiser Blonde detailed to assist her. However, the advance of the water into her innards had proved to be inexorable. At 2146, the rising water forced the abandonment of the center and starboard engine rooms and she drifted to a stop soon after. With darkness upon him, there was no way Vanguard could be either saved or towed. That left only one option.

He signaled Blonde to come alongside and take off survivors. Once this had been completed, the sea cocks would be opened, the remainder of the crew evacuated and Blonde could hopefully finished her with two torpedoes to her starboard side, to which she was already listing.

Last edited:
2207 22 June 1916 - Moltke makes a break for it
2207, 22 June 1916, SMS Moltke, North Sea

Kapitän zur See Harpf Moltke had been hit four more times, making a total of 17 heavy hits, but his crew had cleared the debris from the funnel intakes and his stokers were hard at work again. Moltke's speed had risen, from a low of 16 knots to 17, then 18 and finally she was touching 19.6 knots, despite having 1,200 tons of water aboard. Behind her the old pre dreadnought Deutschland struggled onward, sailing through shell splashes.

Thankfully, the weight of fire from the British main line had died away, although the ships behind her were certainly still engaging both Kaiserin, still firing from her rear turrets and Deutschland. He had not thought it possible, although he had shown no sign of such thoughts to his crew, but it seemed he may well get away, especially now with darkness descending.

Well I think the majority of the German fleet have escaped.

The stragglers are Molkte, Pommern and Kaiserin. I think they will be sunk.

@johnboy are you mixing up Pommern and Oldenburg. Pommern exploded in the previous page and Oldenburg was mentioned as trailing the fleet. Although I don't know what the timing is. Sometimes you can get ahead with one post.

Kaiserin is being hit by 5 QE Tiger Agincourt and Royal Oak. Fair play to anyone who escape that. That said I think I would have dispatched a destroyer or two to finish Kaiserin off and retasked the ships.

The cripples have to pass the entire Grand Fleet to get away.
Yes, confusion with Deutschland I am afraid.

Ramontxo

Donor
Well I think that it has been clear that the main fleet will not engage in a night battle. But with most german torpedoes expended (and so not needing protection against German light forces) this may be the time to launch an massive charge by the RN destroyers and light cruisers...

2207 22 June 1916 - Jellicoe hoist the recall
2207, 22 June 1916, HMS Iron Duke, North Sea

Iron Duke settled onto course 3300, steering away from the Jade. Jellicoe had hoisted the recall signal, the Grand Fleet, sans it's losses, settling onto a North-northwesterly course. He would detail some destroyers, with others to assist Blanche that was riding herd on the crippled Emperor of India. He could reduce speed to a cruising 16 knots, stand down gunnery crews and head back to Scapa Flow. The cost, the damage dealt, the praise and recriminations could come tomorrow.

For now, he just needed to signal the enemy a brief report and his intentions and signal Beatty by wireless of his recall. Beatty could batter the crippled German ships for the next ten minutes or so, if he wished, but he wanted the battle-cruiser force and Evan Thomas turned around by 2220 at the latest.

Last edited:
For now, he just needed to signal the enemy a brief report and his intentions and signal Beatty by wireless of his recall. Beatty could batter the crippled German ships for the next ten minutes or so, if he wished, but he wanted the battle-cruiser force and Evan Thomas turned around by 2220 at the latest.
I would hope the cripples are sunk. Even if destroyers are needed with torpedoes.

2211 22 June 1916 - Evan Thomas calls it quits
2211, 22 June 1916, HMS Barham, North Sea

"Cease fire guns," said Evan-Thomas. There were limits, thought Evan-Thomas, even to the barbarity of war. The German ship was clearly finished, the last ten minutes shells had been sleeting across the water between 5th Battle Squadron and the badly damaged ship. Now she lay low in the water, her main turrets silent, burning fiercely from stem to stern. Men had begun to abandon her and it was clear SMS Kaiserin would not view the stars much longer. She had fought to the finish, even landing a hit on Barham herself some fifteen minutes ago, the last hit on a British ship during the battle. That had drawn the attention of all of the ships in the squadron, but probably allowed the third German ship to escape.

Beatty and his battle-cruisers was still battering the other German ship to pieces, the ship jerking like a shot rabbit as shells crossed to impact in the gathering gloom. Finally, at 2220, the battle-cruisers ceased fire, leaving both SMS Kaiserin and Deutschland sinking behind them.

The main battle lines disengaged, leaving only the struggles of the ships that were crippled to get home.

Last edited:
Very much enjoyed reading this TL.
To me it seems that the stokers on this ships were more or less like the rowers on board the galleys. Hugely important men but working under dreadful circumstances, especially during battle.

I visited one time USS Texas, to my surprise the entrance of the Main Gun turrets was a relative small square hatch , which seems to me, could only opened when the turret was aligned with the center line of the ship, otherwise the barbette was blocking the hatch.
Probably there was an other entrance to the turret somewhere below deck, but I kept thinking of it when reading this TL

Last edited:

Asian Jumbo

Monthly Donor
2207, 22 June 1916, HMS Iron Duke, North Sea

Iron Duke settled onto course 3300, steering away from the Jade. Jellicoe had hoisted the recall signal, the Grand Fleet, sans it's losses, settling onto a North-northwesterly course. He would detail some destroyers, with others to assist Blanche that was riding heard on the crippled Emperor of India. He could reduce speed to a cruising 16 knots, stand down gunnery crews and head back to Scapa Flow. The cost, the damage dealt, the praise and recriminations could come tomorrow.

Loving your work (as always!) but autocorrect should have allowed Blanche to ride herd not heard on Emperor of India

I think the collective damage on the German fleet is beginning to tell as ammunition runs low and sunset approaches.

I wonder if Beatty will after this battle be smug about the extra rounds of ammunition his ships keep in the turret. To be honest the extra ammunition in the turrets wasn't the worst idea. The amount of it was excessive and a problem and not firing first was a massive mistake. If you have extra rounds and a range advantage irl fire the low % shots.

Emperor of India is in trouble. I hope she is calling a destroyer or two to help evacuate crew. The real advantage of the British superioirty is thay they can afford to do that now. Or can she be saved?
Indeed, the Germans suffered at the end due to an accumulated tide of damage that was greater per individual ships than that dealt to the R.N.
Unless the British get very lucky in the next 10-15 minutes, most of the Germans will get away. The British may get a few more, especially the cripples, but Jellicoe's ships are running out of time and ammunition.

That said, I doubt the Germans will have more than one operational battlesquadron for the next several months. They have a lot of damaged ships and I agree with those who say this will be seen as a clear British win.
There is no question they have the more heavily damaged ships. A more detailed list of damage taken will be given in future updates. First there will be some "going home" updates, then an admiral's/captain's thoughts section, then a summary of damage, then a historical summary and what such a battle meant.

Could be Kaiserin that allows the rest to escape. Is she still shooting back?
Yes indeed and that formed a large part of the reason Moltke was able to escape.

Very much enjoyed reading this TL.
To me it seems that the stokers on this ships were more or less like the rowers on board the galleys. Hugely important men but working under dreadful circumstances, especially during battle.

I visited one time USS Texas, to my surprise the entrance of the Main Gun turrets was a relative small square hatch , which seems to me, could only opened when the turret was aligned with the center line of the ship, otherwise the barbette was blocking the hatch.
Probably there was an other entrance to the turret somewhere below deck, but I kept thinking of it when reading this TL
The stokers job was essentially hell, yet it was so vitally important for coal powered ships. I've been on the footplate of a steam train and fed the boiler and that's hot and dirty. Multiply the size of the boiler, make it indoor and in the dark and then you have an idea how hard such a job would be. It's almost inconceivable to people today I reckon.

Loving your work (as always!) but autocorrect should have allowed Blanche to ride herd not heard on Emperor of India
Cheers and thanks, fixed.

The stokers job was essentially hell, yet it was so vitally important for coal powered ships. I've been on the footplate of a steam train and fed the boiler and that's hot and dirty. Multiply the size of the boiler, make it indoor and in the dark and then you have an idea how hard such a job would be. It's almost inconceivable to people today I reckon.
A good stoker was worth his weight in gold

Just as an aside I visited HMS Warrior (1860) a few years back and asked the tour guide chap if the stokers were always dirty

No they were not - as part of the coal fired steam system there was always hot water available and after their shift they would clean themselves up and wash their clothing!

IIRC, standard policy was to begin coaling as soon as ships were back at port even before wounded were off so the crew have got that to look forward to.

Easier for the oil fired ships of course....

A good stoker was worth his weight in gold

Just as an aside I visited HMS Warrior (1860) a few years back and asked the tour guide chap if the stokers were always dirty

No they were not - as part of the coal fired steam system there was always hot water available and after their shift they would clean themselves up and wash their clothing!

HMS Warrior is a good visit.