Jurists say Arab's rape conviction sets dangerous precedent

I find it odd that any woman would believe everything a man says when he's trying to get her into bed.

In this particular case I guess the woman couldn't tell whether the guy was Jewish or Arab.

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
Seems reasonable to me...

After all fraud is misrepresenting the facts. As long as the use of the law is equal - ie if the Muslim / Jewish roles were reversed the law would have been applied equally then I have no problem with this.

There has to be some cut off point where a 'lie' does not invalidate consent - for example I would think saying that you are 39 if you are 41 would not go to far.

If we forget the whole religion angle - lying about his marital status would do it for me - just as would lying about HIV status for example.

Consent has to be informed conset to be true consent, consent obtained by trickery is no better than consent obtained through incapacity.

Last edited:
I find it odd that any woman would believe everything a man says when he's trying to get her into bed.

In this particular case I guess the woman couldn't tell whether the guy was Jewish or Arab.

It's like that time when guy invited woman to his place to watch some DVDs but in the morning she discovered he doesn't even have a DVD player :rolleyes:

But I agree, this is BS. People lie to get people in bed. I wonder if wearing a toupee will constitute as a rape "I wouldn't have slept with him if I knew he was bald" :rolleyes:

It's like that time when guy invited woman to his place to watch some DVDs but in the morning she discovered he doesn't even have a DVD player :rolleyes:

But I agree, this is BS. People lie to get people in bed. I wonder if wearing a toupee will constitute as a rape "I wouldn't have slept with him if I knew he was bald" :rolleyes:

A toupee would be going too far, but I'm quite convinced hat a breast implant would be fraud :D

Seems reasonable to me...

After all fraud is misrepresenting the facts. As long as the use of the law is equal - ie if the Muslim / Jewish roles were reversed the law would have been applied equally then I have no problem with this.

There has to be some cut off point where a 'lie' does not invalidate consent - for example I would think saying that you are 39 if you are 41 would not go to far.

If we forget the whole religion angle - lying about his marital status would do it for me - just as would lying about HIV status for example.

Consent has to be informed conset to be true consent, consent obtained by trickery is no better than consent obtained through incapacity.
I can see logic in what you write. But to obviate all deception might mean going through a long check list of everything that the man (or woman) has said up to the point of going to bed. That would take all the romance and spontaneity out of the situation.

We all have to take responsibility for our decisions. I for one would never take at face value everything a man tells me on the road to -----------, but on the other hand, for example, I wouldn't keep a tape measure on my bedside cabinet.

(Yeah, this should be in the chat forum...)

What worries me here are the creepy racial overtones of the ruling. It reminds me of 1950s America, when any black man who had consensual sex with a white woman could end up convicted of rape, because if the woman's family found out, they'd often force her to press charges. My first inclination is to file this under "reactionaries who are ruining Israel for everyone else."