So, let's say that Richard Nixon wins the United States Presidential Elections of 1960 and 1964 against different Democratic opponents (maybe Lyndon B. Johnson in 1960 and maybe Pat Brown, George Wallace, or one of Johnson's OTL surrogates in 1964). If Kennedy did not win the Democratic nomination in 1960, Richard Nixon probably does not select Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. as his running mate and goes for Representative Walter Judd of Minnesota or Senator Thruston Morton of Kentucky instead. Maybe Nixon offers Lodge Secretary of State, which Lodge uses to run for President. Either way, Nixon's Vice President or Secretary of State Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. runs for President in 1968 and wins the Republican nomination. "Nixon's handpicked successor" goes on to lose to Former Senator John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts (I had read somewhere that in a scenario like this, Kennedy would not seek re-election in the United States Senate Election in Massachusetts of 1964 to let his younger brother Robert F. Kennedy run). Anyway, Robert F. Kennedy begins his first term in the United States Senate from Massachusetts on January 3rd, 1965 and John F. Kennedy begins his first term as President of the United States on January 20th, 1969. Who do you think would be John F. Kennedy's vice presidential nominee? How about Richard Nixon's presidency from January 20th, 1961-69? Nixon would still have the Vietnam War on his hands, but would he give the People's Republic of China recognition or continue recognizing the Republic of China? Would Kennedy still offer Robert Attorney General of the United States? How would Kennedy be remembered in this timeline?

So, let's say that Richard Nixon wins the United States Presidential Elections of 1960 and 1964 against different Democratic opponents (maybe Lyndon B. Johnson in 1960 and maybe Pat Brown, George Wallace, or one of Johnson's OTL surrogates in 1964). If Kennedy did not win the Democratic nomination in 1960, Richard Nixon probably does not select Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. as his running mate and goes for Representative Walter Judd of Minnesota or Senator Thruston Morton of Kentucky instead. Maybe Nixon offers Lodge Secretary of State, which Lodge uses to run for President. Either way, Nixon's Vice President or Secretary of State Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. runs for President in 1968 and wins the Republican nomination. "Nixon's handpicked successor" goes on to lose to Former Senator John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts (I had read somewhere that in a scenario like this, Kennedy would not seek re-election in the United States Senate Election in Massachusetts of 1964 to let his younger brother Robert F. Kennedy run). Anyway, Robert F. Kennedy begins his first term in the United States Senate from Massachusetts on January 3rd, 1965 and John F. Kennedy begins his first term as President of the United States on January 20th, 1969. Who do you think would be John F. Kennedy's vice presidential nominee? How about Richard Nixon's presidency from January 20th, 1961-69? Nixon would still have the Vietnam War on his hands, but would he give the People's Republic of China recognition or continue recognizing the Republic of China? Would Kennedy still offer Robert Attorney General of the United States? How would Kennedy be remembered in this timeline?

Much would depend- just as it did IOTL- on
Vietnam. Would it be stalemated so people
would say "the heck with it, if we can't win,
let's get out!"(as happened IOTL in 1968)
If so, JFK would had to have spent most
of his time & energy indeed extricating
us. If, on the other hand, it seemed we were
winning- thus not making the war unpopular- JFK could have concentrated
more on domestic affairs.

Last edited:
My suggestion on how to psychologically approach this is as follows. Throw out the 1960s and 1970s as you know them, and start from square one. The 1960s under Nixon will be different, and the world of 1968 will be different. It is more extreme than simply a change of characters to the same plot.

My suggestion on how to psychologically approach this is as follows. Throw out the 1960s and 1970s as you know them, and start from square one. The 1960s under Nixon will be different, and the world of 1968 will be different. It is more extreme than simply a change of characters to the same plot.

Very, VERY good point Emperor! But I still
think that ITTL, as in OTL, Vietnam would
be the decisive factor.

Very, VERY good point Emperor! But I still
think that ITTL, as in OTL, Vietnam would
be the decisive factor.

But that is precisely my point. "Vietnam" is easily Laos. Indeed, it is more likely Laos. A war, a limited war, or simply aid. Some varied treatment, perhaps. Or it could be Algeria or Cuba. Or nothing at all. Or something completely off the radar to our present OTL thinking on the matter.

But that is precisely my point. "Vietnam" is easily Laos. Indeed, it is more likely Laos. A war, a limited war, or simply aid. Some varied treatment, perhaps. Or it could be Algeria or Cuba. Or nothing at all. Or something completely off the radar to our present OTL thinking on the matter.
So perhaps economically and taxation-wise, the 1950s continue because Richard Nixon is Dwight D. Eisenhower's handpicked successor? There are some debates as to how Nixon would alternatively address women's rights, Civil Rights, and voting rights. Also following the logic that the 1950s would continue, some say Nixon would propose OTL-lite legislation a la Eisenhower. Others say that because Richard Nixon and Martin Luther King, Jr. were friends, Civil Rights would be passed under Nixon. Perhaps the pressure of the Space Race would permit OTL's Moon Landing, a Peace Corps-like organization might be created, but how Nixon will address the Cold War is also moot. Some say that Nixon would have learned to live with Communism and have not supported the Bay of Pigs Invasion or challenge the Cubans and Soviets over missiles in Cuba. In Latin America and Southeast Asia, Nixon might take a stronger stance until Vietnam escalates. Just some ideas I thought of.