Congratulations! This is an excellent timeline which perfectly immerge the reader in the atmosphere of this time of history and makes a true leader of a President who is not well remembered!

Congratulations @Vidal!! You absolutely deserve the win, this is one of the best timelines I’ve ever read. Incredibly engaging and fun all the way through, I love it. You’ve made listening in on healthcare negotiations between Senators I’d never heard of interesting and fun, and the timeline is just wall-to-wall fantastic!

Deleted member 145219

Now that it's official...

As many of you know, the question of Jimmy Carter winning a second term has pretty much always interested me, but recently when I read Reaganland, I started to really think about taking the project up in a serious way. On May 26, 2021, I posted in my test thread about the idea. In July of that year, @Yes encouraged me to take it up in earnest, and on April 7, 2022, this story went live. I did not anticipate to win the Turtledove less than a year into sharing this project with all of you, but I’m honored. Thank you all!

I’ve already done a long list of thank yous to the people who helped me get the project off the ground. Now, I just want to say thank you to everyone who has read and liked this timeline. Your thoughtful commentary in the thread, your likes on the chapter posts, and your encouraging and inquisitive DMs keep me in the chair writing and researching.

The fun part is: We have a lot of road left to go. The project outline (as of now) calls for another 26 chapters before we wrap up Jimmy’s second term. They’re in various states of planning and writing, and who knows what the final count will be. There’s a lot of ground to cover – a Supreme Court nomination (or two!), CarterCare, unrest in Egypt, Iran and Iraq, the 1982 midterms, some lame duck policy proposals, Cuba, nuclear arms, and, of course, the race to succeed Carter. I can’t thank y’all enough for being along for the ride.

Finally, I just want to send best wishes to President Carter and his family. Keep them in your thoughts, and, if you pray, your prayers.

AP20065652808812-scaled.jpg
Congratulations Vidal.

Once again I congratulate you, @Vidal, for a fantastic and lively timeline, a fine piece of work where your love and effort for your craft shined through. All of the praise and recognition is Fully deserved.

Thank you so much for your passion and care. The AH community is infinitely richer due to you and your writing!

Congratulations on your win. As we proceed further into 1981, and then the rest of the 80s, I look forward to seeing the policy changes and their impacts.

BTW this article just dropped on NYT about how Reagan helped screw over Carter in OTL to get the presidency

Isn’t this almost exactly the same as the shenanigans Nixon have pulled to keep South Vietnam from engaging in peace talks right before the 1968 election?

BTW this article just dropped on NYT about how Reagan helped screw over Carter in OTL to get the presidency

Hmm...I had just read the article. It is an interesting article, that make me understand more in regards to the rumours that were first mentioned in the notes in chapter 7. Well, it is interesting to see how big actually is the operation to sabotage the talks, seeing that Connally was also being involved IOTL (but definitely not ITTL considering how pissed he still is).

P/s: Is the Kemp kerfuffle had a potential (albeit extremely minor) influence in the decision of the (Islamist fundamentalist) Iran leadership optics wise to ensure that any agreement would have to be done before a likely Reagan administration ITTL?

Edit: I forgot that the rumours in regard to this was actually already being mention before.. so the previous version of the post were quite a brain fart for me.

Last edited:
I always strongly suspected Reagan's team sabotaged the negotiations, just like Nixon with the Paris Peace Talks in '68. Assuming the the theories are true, both efforts were monumental crimes and demand a prominent place in the public memory. Infuriating.

I was out of town for a month & only just caught up on.Jimmy Two, and thus your Turtledove award win. Heartfelt Congratulations, Vidal!!!

Last edited:
You might think this a crazy idea Vidal, but please hear me out. I just finished reading Right Side Up by Polish Eagle, & I wondered if it could be combined with your Jimmy Two! I saw that Carter made a brief speech after the maiden voyage of the Space Lifter in Right Side Up, and I didn't see any reference to the space program in Jimmy Two! Just think about this. If you think they can be combined, that's fine. If not, that's fine too. It's just an idea that came into my head.

You might think this a crazy idea Vidal, but please hear me out. I just finished reading Right Side Up by Polish Eagle, & I wondered if it could be combined with your Jimmy Two! I saw that Carter made a brief speech after the maiden voyage of the Space Lifter in Right Side Up, and I didn't see any reference to the space program in Jimmy Two! Just think about this. If you think they can be combined, that's fine. If not, that's fine too. It's just an idea that came into my head.
Not really, our PoD for Right Side Up is under LBJ in the late 60s, and the major divergence starts under Nixon in '71. The late 70s, a couple years before the first orbit of the Space Shuttle, is awfully late to be revising the design from scratch. I've actually talked to Vidal a bit about space stuff, and my take is that given the PoD, the odds of significant notable departures in spaceflight within Carter's second term are pretty low.

Glad you enjoyed Right Side Up, though!