I am not remotely an expert on 80s culture (though I know a lot of people who were alive at the time) but I’d like to give two bits of evidence that a lot of 80s culture as we know it was already in motion before Reagan:

1. First, Dallas and Dynasty were both conceived well before Reagan took over (Dallas had been running for a few years), which is as good of an example of consumerist culture as any that exists that came well before Ronny. While wealthy inequality wasn’t as bad then as it would be under Reagan, the gap between productivity and pay had already begun and was rising, fueling the upper class and positive depictions of them.

2. Second, a lot of the ethos of results over everything in crime rises as a result of the War on Drugs, which historians almost unanimously agree began under Nixon. The U.S. incarceration rate had begun to notably rise during the 70s, and reports of urban decay were incredibly widespread at the time. Reagan might have escalated this notion, but the causes for the belief of a tougher crackdown on crime are going to exist regardless of him.

As far as 1984, while I don’t know what the author has planned, you have to consider this from a macro point of view:
Since 1932, the GOP has won four presidential elections. All four of those wins have come off of relatively moderate Republicans, the latter of whom needed to commit treason in order to win. Overall, the New Deal consensus is still chugging along. The hard right has now ran a chosen candidate twice and gotten punked in 1964, and while 1980 was closer, they ultimately came away with nothing despite having a better quality candidate and running against a creaky economy. The hard right is still going to be around, but they have proven to be losers and are now without their most effective communicator.

Logically, the GOP’s best bet is to run a moderate who’s going to be able to somewhat kowtow to the right while still mostly coming from the moderate camp, like Nixon or Ford. I think the real question for historical ramifications here is if they settle on someone whose relative moderation is genuine, like Charles Percy, Richard Lugar, or Arlen Specter, or if they choose a chameleon like Connaly, Bush, or Bob Dole.

Logically, the GOP’s best bet is to run a moderate who’s going to be able to somewhat kowtow to the right while still mostly coming from the moderate camp, like Nixon or Ford. I think the real question for historical ramifications here is if they settle on someone whose relative moderation is genuine, like Charles Percy, Richard Lugar, or Arlen Specter, or if they choose a chameleon like Connaly, Bush, or Bob Dole.
It's definitely going to be interesting going forward as to what the strategy for the Republicans is. As someone who is very fascinated by the gradual homogenization of the Republican party's factions in OTL, it'll be interesting to see if they're able to avoid that fate here.

In this ATL 1982 under Carter, I wonder if the First Blood film might be closer to the Morrell novel, in that it would be less about blaming society for letting our veterans down and more about how the cycles of war and PTSD are eventually brought back home to American shores.
That would be very interesting, the original ending of Rambo had hinted towards this in the form of Rambo being killed by Col. Trautman.

1. First, Dallas and Dynasty were both conceived well before Reagan took over (Dallas had been running for a few years), which is as good of an example of consumerist culture as any that exists that came well before Ronny. While wealthy inequality wasn’t as bad then as it would be under Reagan, the gap between productivity and pay had already begun and was rising, fueling the upper class and positive depictions of them.
Not to mention, America hadn't learned "Who Shot JR?" yet.

OTL, was Nancy Reagan that obsessed with astrology?

So obsessed with it, in fact, that when Iran-Contra was at its hottest, she refused to let Reagan do more press appearances or give more statements because she was convinced that the wrong dates would ensure he'd screw up to where impeachment and conviction would be guaranteed. Don Regan's tenure as White House Chief of Staff, one that was already ludicrously bad, was brought to an end by his battle royale with Nancy where he slammed the phone down mid-conversation because he was fed up with her astrology taking precedence. Hanging up on Nancy Reagan in such fashion was the most cardinal of sins.

I am not remotely an expert on 80s culture (though I know a lot of people who were alive at the time) but I’d like to give two bits of evidence that a lot of 80s culture as we know it was already in motion before Reagan:

2. Second, a lot of the ethos of results over everything in crime rises as a result of the War on Drugs, which historians almost unanimously agree began under Nixon. The U.S. incarceration rate had begun to notably rise during the 70s, and reports of urban decay were incredibly widespread at the time. Reagan might have escalated this notion, but the causes for the belief of a tougher crackdown on crime are going to exist regardless of him.

As far as 1984, while I don’t know what the author has planned, you have to consider this from a macro point of view:
Since 1932, the GOP has won four presidential elections. All four of those wins have come off of relatively moderate Republicans, the latter of whom needed to commit treason in order to win. Overall, the New Deal consensus is still chugging along. The hard right has now ran a chosen candidate twice and gotten punked in 1964, and while 1980 was closer, they ultimately came away with nothing despite having a better quality candidate and running against a creaky economy. The hard right is still going to be around, but they have proven to be losers and are now without their most effective communicator.

There is a reason the 1970s was called the "Me Decade" by Tom Wolfe. The 1980s doesn't happen without it.

Anadyr, you might like my John Connally alt-history in my signature if you're interested in all of this.

Been waiting for this. As usual wonderfully written and researched. Thanks to you, Vidal, I'm currently reading Kai Bird's book and enjoying it immensely. So cheers mate!
Finished it myself two weeks ago, inspired to buy it after I first came across this TL. It was wonderful, and really re-centers the conversation around Carter. It's really sad to see how Clinton, for instance, kept Carter at arm's length when Clinton's win would not have happened without Carter paving the way.

Jimmy Carter was a better president than he'll ever get credit for and a better human being than nearly all of them put together.

I must admit, I never looked at the 1980 election this closely before, and something I noticed that struck me about Reagan's IRL victory: he won a bunch of states by very close margins. It still would've been a decisive victory, but about 200,000 votes spread differently and Carter would've had 169 instead of 49. I was stunned at how John Anderson cleared double digits in nine states, and definitely cost Carter a number of key electoral states. A wild election in so many ways.

United States Elections, 1980

Vidal

Donor
United States Elections, 1980
1980 UNITED STATES PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

d8IiM0i.png

1980 UNITED STATES SENATE ELECTIONS

Alabama: Jim Folson, Jr., D def. Jeremiah Denton, R (D Hold)
Alaska: Frank Murkowski, R def. Clark Gruening, D (R Gain)
Arizona: Bill Schulz, D def. Sen. Barry Goldwater, R (D Gain)

Arkansas: Sen. Dale Bumpers, D def. William Clark, R (D Hold)
California: Sen. Alan Cranston, D def. Paul Gann, R (D Hold)
Colorado: Sen. Gary Hart, D def. Mary Buchanan, R (D Hold)
Connecticut: Chris Dodd, D def. James Buckley, R (D Hold)
Florida: Bill Gunter, D def. Paula Hawkins, R (D Hold)
Georgia: Sen. Herman Talmadge, D def. Mack Mattingly, R (D Hold)
Hawaii: Sen. Daniel Inouye, D def. Cooper Brown, R (D Hold)
Idaho: Sen. Frank Church, D def. Steve Symms R (D Hold)
Illinois: Alan Dixon, D def. Dave O’Neal, R (D Hold)
Indiana: Dan Quayle, R def. Sen. Birch Bayh, D (R Gain)
Iowa: Chuck Grassley, R def. Sen. John Culver, D (R Gain)

Kansas: Sen. Bob Dole, R def. John Simpson, D (R Hold)
Louisiana: Sen. Russell Long, D def. Woody Jenkins, R (D Hold)
Maryland: Sen. Charles Mathias, R def. Edward Conroy, D (R Hold)
Missouri: Sen. Thomas Eagleton, D def. Gene McNary (D Hold)
Nevada: Sen. Paul Laxalt, R def. Mary Gojack, D (R Hold)
New Hampshire: Warren Rudman, R def. Sen. John Durkin, D (R Gain)
New York: Liz Holtzman, D def. Al D’Amato, R and Jacob Javits, L (D Gain)

North Carolina: Sen. Robert Burren Morgan, D def. John Porter East, R (D Hold)
North Dakota: Mark Andrews, R def. Kent Johanneson, D (R Hold)
Ohio: Sen. John Glenn, D def. James Betts, R (D Hold)
Oklahoma: Don Nickles, R def. Andrew Coats, D (R Hold)
Oregon: Sen. Bob Packwood, R def. Ted Kulongoski, D (R Hold)
Pennsylvania: Pete Flaherty, D def. Arlen Specter, R (D Gain)
South Carolina: Fritz Hollings, D def. Marshall Mays, R (D Hold)
South Dakota: James Abdnor, R def. Sen. George McGovern, D (R Gain)
Utah: Sen. Jake Garn, R def. Dan Berman, D (R Hold)
Vermont: Sen. Patrick Leahy, D def. Stewart Ledbetter, R (D Hold)
Washington: Sen. Warren Magnuson, D def. Slade Gorton, R (D Hold)
Wisconsin: Sen. Gaylord Nelson, D def. Bob Kasten, R (D Hold)

Senate composition before the election: 58 Democrats, 41 Republicans, 1 Independent
Senate composition after the election: 56 Democrats, 43 Republicans, 1 Independent (R+2)

1980 UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ELECTIONS

House composition before the election: 277 D, 157 R, 1 C
House composition after the election: 266 D, 168 R, 1 C (R+11)

1980 UNITED STATES GUBERNATORIAL ELECTIONS

Arkansas: Frank D. White, R def. Gov. Bill Clinton, D (R Gain)

Delaware: Gov. Pete du Pont, R def. William Gordy, D (R Hold)
Indiana: Robert D. Orr, R def. John Hillenbrand II, D (R Hold)
Missouri: Kit Bond, R def. Gov. Joseph P. Teasdale, D (R Gain)
Montana: Ted Schwinden, D def. Jack Ramirez, R (D Hold)
New Hampshire: Gov. Hugh Gallen, D def. Meldrim Thomson, Jr, R (D Hold)
North Carolina: Gov. Jim Hunt, D def. I. Beverly Lake, Jr, R (D Hold)
North Dakota: Gov. Arthur Link, D def. Allen Olson, R (D Hold)
Rhode Island: Gov. J. Joseph Garrahy, D def. Buddy Cianci, R (D Hold)
Utah: Gov. Scott Matheson, D def. Bob Wright, R (D Hold)
Vermont: Gov. Richard Snelling, R def. M. Jerome Diamond, D (R Hold)
Washington: John Spellman, R def. Jim McDermott, D (R Gain)
West Virginia: Gov. Jay Rockefeller, D def. Arch A. Moore, Jr, R (D Hold)

Vidal

Donor
Does the electoral map look something like this? It still surprises me that OTL Carter performed well above his national totals in the South despite Reagan and the whole states rights/Moral Majority shebang, does prove that old habits die hard.

View attachment 787431

Also 34-year-old AG Clinton sure is something, I hope he keeps his bits clean.

You got it! (Except for the faithless Iowa elector who voted for Bush, but if you'd predicted that, I'd have asked you to refrain from hacking my computer going forward lol)

Vidal

Donor
Dread it, run from it 306-232 arrives all the same

lol! I didn’t even notice. Good catch…

If I may be curious, why was there a faithless elector?

my thinking is some Bush caucus goer gets on the slate from Iowa and when Reagan loses says “hey let me make a statement about the direction the party needs to go next time” like the elector for Ford who voted for Reagan in 76