I stand in awe of your ability to write a compelling political convention. I'm comparing it to my attempt to write the same convention, and mine pales in comparison. (The SI wasn't as privy to the details, following them in a SWISS newspaper, but even if I had been focused on the con, I could come nowhere near the masterful writing you presented.)
I also had Reagan end up with Jack Kemp as his running mate. That makes me feel good, that I chose the same candidate that a master of politics chose.
I'll be watching to see how many similarities there are between now and November.. (Reagan got blown away in my timeline, aided by Carter Republicans. Granted, due to the succerss of Eagle Claw, and a terrorist attack with more casualties than OTL's 9/11, a thawing of relations with the USSR, Carter was in strong position that he's not here. (Advice from the future can help, even if you don't KNOW it's from the future.)

Ah...so Reagan still runs against the Peanut Farmer. Well, I'm certainly looking forward to watching Jimmy toss him out onto the figurative manure pile come election day.

I have to echo the praise that others are giving you. What really got me were Reagan’s speeches, especially the ‘76 one (which after reading your notes I know was OTL, but still). They got me up and apoplectically mad at him, which is pretty on-point for my opinion of Reagan.

the issue with Barry is that his a good portion of his own support base by this had been fully seduced by either evangelicalism or didn’t give a shit about the religious right and just wanted the “fucking liberals“ gone. The blowback to the sixties led to a very serious radicalisation of the right helped by men such as Jerry Falwell.

Goldwater can go fuck himself. His stupid ass played a role in the southern strategy which led to the racists keeping their hatred quiet and votes consistent and the evangelicals running the Republican party. Typical idealistic politician. You can start a movement but you can’t control it forever. Did he really think that the respectable types would always be the men in charge if they switched the base to the crazies?
I don't mean to turn this into an argument but the shift may have been inevitable anyways, not to mention the fact ghat I'm his last term and later in life he did do much to try and protect people's civil liberties, such as advocating for LGBT people in the military. I hardly like the man very much but I don't think it's fair to blame every wrong move the GOP made i n the last 70 years on him.

Well now, that is a big update. Nice chapter! Very interesting, like a thriller at times.

And it was published the same day the Republican Convention started... Things are getting a bit meta here!

Another fantastic update! As an aside, saw this on Twitter - feels relevant to include it here:

I really like the pod that Vidal has used for this timeline. On the surface, I can see why Carter thought that a mass dismissal of several cabinet members would work. But when you have a deeper look, it was an absolutely horrendous idea. And probably the moment where Carter truly lost control of his Presidency.

In recent years, I've actually moved away from the idea of elections that are poisoned chalices. Part of it is having greater knowledge of the actual winners and the mistakes that they made. And with knowing the medium to long term impacts (if any) that parties have felt after winning one of these alleged poisoned chalice elections.

Side note. I thought Kemp would make a appearance, but not as Reagan's running mate. I believe that Kemp easily could have been realigning President that Reagan was, had the Reagan revolution not occurred.

Tagging out of interest. Of all the 20th century US presidents, Carter was probably my favourite. Or at least, his reputation was worse than what he deserved.

Tagging out of interest. Of all the 20th century US presidents, Carter was probably my favourite. Or at least, his reputation was worse than what he deserved.
I always thought that Carter was a very good man, and the best ex president we have ever had. He inherited a major mess, and Iran certainly made things worse for him. I agree that making Eagle Claw work without uptime hints was not a very likely thing and I like the way you work through it. ( I cheated; my Carter had uptime advice)
Your mastery of writing politics puts me in the shade. Not just in the shade, in the umbra of a total eclipse. You are good at that. I must say that I have learned a lot from your timeline. May I PM you with some questions that may give me some insight for mine?

Last edited:
I always thought that Carter was a very good man, and the best ex president we have ever had. He inherited a major mess, and Iran certainly made things worse for him. I agree that making Eagle Claw work without uptime hints was not a very likely thing and I like the way you work through it. ( I cheated; my Carter had uptime advice)
Your mastery of writing politics puts me in the shade. Not just in the shade, in the umbrella of a total eclipse. You are good at that. I must say that I have learned a lot from your timeline. May I PM you with some questions that may give me some insight for mine?
Oh, sure! I'd be happy to talk. :D

Seems a bit of a wank though.
The increasing drift towards liberal wish-fulfillment and handwavium is what killed that TL for me. What I like about this this TL and McGoverning is that they explore that what if fantasy while maximizing the sense of realism. And I mean that with no disrespect to @PresidentLincoln.

Last edited: