Excellent work. I’m very glad that I held off on reading the test version of this and get to enjoy it with fresh eyes!

My eyes lit up as soon as I saw this was posted!

LETS GO!!!!!!!

@Vidal is probably one of my favorite writers, and I always love when he turns one of his test thread series into a full-blown TL.

Thank you! I appreciate it.

This? This is good.

interesting premise. An opening scene that gets you hooked. Detailed but not endless prose where things are said but nothing actually fucking happens for 5 paragraphs.

We will watch your career with great interest.

Thanks. I admit I sometimes fall victim to writing 5 paragraphs where things don't happen in some of the chapters, but hopefully that's worth it for the insights we get into the characters' minds. :)

Samantha Smith under Jimmy's second term rather than Ronald's first... will she still write the Letter?

This is a really interesting question. In my head the obvious follow-up is: What will the Golden Girls do instead for the episode where Rose writes to Gorbachev if it doesn't happen? (Lol)

Adding it to my notes so I make sure I address it when I get there.

Thank you! I appreciate it.

Thanks. I admit I sometimes fall victim to writing 5 paragraphs where things don't happen in some of the chapters, but hopefully that's worth it for the insights we get into the characters' minds. :)

This is a really interesting question. In my head the obvious follow-up is: What will the Golden Girls do instead for the episode where Rose writes to Gorbachev if it doesn't happen? (Lol)

Ready to reach the official POD soon, which is who gets fired from the cabinet and who stays.

Jimmy in office means Samantha might also get invited to visit the White House because of the Letter, unlike with Ronald. Food for thought?

Jimmy in office means Samantha might also get invited to visit the White House because of the Letter, unlike with Ronald. Food for thought?

I think that's absolutely right -- though maybe there's less reason to write the letter in the first place. I'm going to think it over. Would also be nice to avoid her tragic death...

I think George HW Bush is the guy for 84 and 88. The main effect I think is that the new right isn’t going to be able to take over the republican party ideologically like it did IOTL. The Deep South will be more like swing states instead of the either democratic or republican strongholds they have been. With two moderates (if GHWB becomes president) of their respective parties being in charge in relatively peaceful and prosperous times compared to the 70s, The people that were teens/young adults in the 70s and become voting adults in the late 80s-early 90s are going to prefer that brand of politics. The new right to the Republican Party in the 90s will probably be like what the progressives are to the dem party rn. Can certainly catch headlines and influence policy to a small degree but ultimately don’t hold the keys of power

Last edited:
The whole UN debacle over Israel/PLO/Andrew Young being handwaved could be interesting depending on how the Kennedy challenge (or not) goes

I’m very excited to see how this pans out. Ever since I found your work I’ve been impressed with your writing skills and I’m excited to see them be put to use in a full TL. Good luck!

I usually don't comment, but as Jimmy Carter is one of my favorite what-ifs of Alternate History. I have to say I am thrilled to see this come to life.

Looking forward to this, if I believe in what's the timeline going to be America isn't ready for Carter. That being said I really enjoy the late 70s America politics with what could have been with the country questing themselves after the Vietnam War and what could have been. Good luck with the timeline wishing you the best.