Jesus Walks: A History of the War on Terror, 1979-1992

New update soon. Hoping to get to a weekly schedule for these, or faster when the mood strikes me.

Next chapter will feature an extensive visit from an old friend we haven't seen much of in a while, the beginnings of the International Counter-Terrorism Strike Force, an action sequence (because it's frankly been way too long since Credible Sport), and the introduction of two new main characters (one is a journalist you've very likely heard of, the other is a KGB agent you most certainly have heard of. ;) ).

I'm sorry everybody, but I'd only thought that the conditions requiring a hiatus had changed. Right now they're in full force, but after this weekend I should be at a much better place in my life. It's mostly having to do with struggling with school work, and I simply haven't been able to afford making this a priority. An update should be in the cards for next week, but don't hold me to it. :eek:

DTanza

Banned
I'm sorry everybody, but I'd only thought that the conditions requiring a hiatus had changed. Right now they're in full force, but after this weekend I should be at a much better place in my life. It's mostly having to do with struggling with school work, and I simply haven't been able to afford making this a priority. An update should be in the cards for next week, but don't hold me to it. :eek:

I will NAIL you to it. :p

Welp, a whole lot's happened in the past few months. I had a nervous breakdown, dropped out of college, and started seeing a therapist. Things are starting to get better, slowly. Turns out I have pretty severe anxiety issues, which isn't what I would have pegged as the issue, but it's clearly my biggest problem.

Anyway, I figure I better make good on my promise to continue this thing. My plan is to have an update done in the next couple days. Thank you all for your patience.

Welp, a whole lot's happened in the past few months. I had a nervous breakdown, dropped out of college, and started seeing a therapist. Things are starting to get better, slowly. Turns out I have pretty severe anxiety issues, which isn't what I would have pegged as the issue, but it's clearly my biggest problem.

Anyway, I figure I better make good on my promise to continue this thing. My plan is to have an update done in the next couple days. Thank you all for your patience.

Hope everything is going well for you.

Bonus Material: Author's Note on Characters as Mouthpieces

I feel like I should say something about the last chapter, and really about my writing in general on this timeline:

Chapter 21 is pretty much an excuse for Walter Mondale to expound on the benefits of, for lack of a better term, a world police force. I do not want this to be interpreted as though Walter Mondale is speaking for me as the author, regardless of what my opinions may be on the matter. I've said before that Jesus Walks is not meant to be a dystopia, but by that same metric, it isn't meant to be a good version of events. Something I always try to keep in mind when writing this is the human element: fundamentally, the movers and shakers of history are people just like you and me, prone to the same failings and flaws. Jesus Walks, ultimately, is a story about people who think they have it all under control, learning that they don't. It's about hubris.

I'm writing this because I just re-read Chapter 21, and it really comes off like I'm arguing for world police, using Walter Mondale as my mouthpiece. I don't know if anybody's actually interpreted it like that, but I just want to be clear here.

I feel like I should say something about the last chapter, and really about my writing in general on this timeline:

I'm writing this because I just re-read Chapter 21, and it really comes off like I'm arguing for world police, using Walter Mondale as my mouthpiece. I don't know if anybody's actually interpreted it like that, but I just want to be clear here.

Or people could remember S. M. Stirling's quote (and after writing the Draka, he earned it): "There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot."

I don't think we're doing that here.

I don't think we're doing that here.

I wasn't reacting to anybody making that error, it was just that upon re-reading the last chapter, it seemed to me that a totally reasonable person could come to the conclusion that Mondale is speaking for me. It was a failure of my writing, but since there's an edit deadline on posts, I can't revise it now.

I wasn't reacting to anybody making that error, it was just that upon re-reading the last chapter, it seemed to me that a totally reasonable person could come to the conclusion that Mondale is speaking for me. It was a failure of my writing, but since there's an edit deadline on posts, I can't revise it now.

Just put a disclaimer saying ignore the post, and a post a rewritten version.

Chapter 22

Chapter 22: Radioactive

“I raise my flags, don my clothes
It's a revolution, I suppose
We'll paint it red to fit right in”​

Washington, DC, January 31st, 1981:

Colonel Richard Marcinko sat at the conference table, flanked on both sides by Russians. The dimly lit room had filled up with representatives from the various countries interested in taking part in the anti-terror union. Conspicuous by their absence were Chinese and Canadian representatives, as both nations were displeased by the willingness of the USA and USSR to cooperate on such a matter. The United Kingdom was far from happy with the arrangement, but refused to be left out of such a momentous event.

The planning committee sought representatives from each continent. America, the Soviet Union, the UK, Brazil, South Africa, India, and Japan would make up the core of the organization. The structure settled upon was that the organization would be always co-headed, by an American and a Soviet.

For the headquarters of the organization, it would be critical to select a place that was both neutral, yet willing to accept the group onto its soil. At the time of the meeting, a location had not yet been selected. Switzerland seemed like an obvious place due to its history of neutrality, but the Swiss government balked at the idea of being host to a foreign military organization, even a supra-national one. The political committee was investigating the possibility of a Mediterranean island, but that was none of the military committee’s concern.

Marcinko zoned out at the table, staring off into space while the generals discussed the endless logistical tedium of high-level military organization. Dick had his own ideas about what equipment he wanted the operators using, but knew things like that would be decided by politics more than efficacy. All the countries wanted their own arms industries to be supplying the organization’s equipment, whether it be to please lobbyists, cronies, or the state-owned factory owners. The dirty little secret of the Military Industrial Complex had always been that it was much better at making money than winning wars.

The Russian next to Marcinko nudged him. “Hey,” he whispered, “you should at least look like you’re paying attention.” This guy didn’t look like the other representatives in the room. He had no medals, no flashy uniform, just formalwear. He had a flat brow, icy eyes, and rapidly thinning hair. He was about ten years younger than Dick, but his eyes looked jaded from a lifetime of experiences. All Marcinko could remember from the introductions was that he worked in “intelligence”. Maybe NKVD. Possibly KGB. Russian as fuck name too, if Marcinko could only remember it. Oh yeah, of course. Vladimir. Vladimir Vladimirovich. Like something out of goddamn James Bond.

"What are we gonna call it?" Marcinko asked, speaking out of turn.​

The room fell silent.

"Pardon, Colonel?" asked an American general.

"What are we going to call the organization? Something like this... it needs a good name."

"We discussed this earlier, if you were paying attention, Colonel. Right now we're probably going to go with the International Counter-Terrorism Strike Force," the general replied.

"So what's that, the ICTSF? Sounds like some kind of fruit-tariff organization. You need something with punch."

"Well, Colonel, if you've got a proposition for a better abbreviation, please share your critically important insight."

"International Counter-Terrorism Strike Force. Strike is good, a lot of weight..." Marcinko was inside his own head now, still thinking aloud. "Strike is good... striking against terror... Counter-Terror Strike..."

Marcinko looked at the general dead in the eyes. "Call it Counter-Strike."​

The whole room looked at the general, waiting for response.

"I actually like that."​

---------------------------

"I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my systems blow
Welcome to the new age"

And we're back.

Can't wait to see how everything unfolds! And some Marcinko-Putin buddy cop action.

. . . okay, so that last part might be an exaggeration, but still.

Fantastic work!

A post, for those just joining us

For those just joining us now, on account of JW's :DTURTLEDOVE NOMINATION:D, here is a brief summary of events thus far: (but you should still totally go back and read the story anyway, since I do try to write an interesting proper narrative. This latest update is unusually infodump-heavy.)

Our true POD occurs in 1977, but it's minor, and the changes to history it causes are from butterflies. (The POD is that Billy Beer is commercially successful, but I'm putting that as a spoiler because it's kind of the punchline to a joke.)

In 1979, as a result of butterflies and the chaos of a hostage situation, the taking of the US embassy in Tehran, which IOTL led to the Iranian Hostage Crisis, ends with a massacre of all Americans in the embassy. President Jimmy Carter declares war on Iran.

Richard Marcinko, who you may remember from the terrible video game Rogue Warrior, is essentially the protagonist of the story. Soon after the war is declared, he is dispatched to lead a strike force to capture or kill Ayatollah Khomeini. The operation is beset by the same problems as OTL Operation Eagle Claw, but goes ahead anyway. In the end, the Ayatollah is killed, but at the cost of dozens of American operators.

Now, of course, there's the issue of the Soviet Union having their own invasion of Afghanistan the next country over. To prevent the proximity of American and Soviet forces from having a risk of escalating into a whole new crisis, the Soviet Union agrees to condone America's war in Iran, in exchange for the USA no longer aiding the Mujahideen, and indeed betraying them to the Russians. A young Osama bin Laden is nearly killed in a devastating Soviet raid of a mujahideen camp. The Soviets are currently headed for victory in their war, with the mujahideen on the run.

With the war in Iran looking up and detente at an all-time high, Carter secures re-election in the 1980 presidential election. His victory is a short lived one, however, as in January 1981, he is assassinated by John Hinckley Jr., in an attack that also leaves Jodie Foster paralyzed, and ends with Hinckley's suicide. Walter Mondale assumes the presidency.

Barely a week later, an unknown terrorist organization detonates a bus bomb in East Berlin. Walter Mondale flies to Russia to assuage Soviet fears that the attackers were backed by the USA. Mondale moves forward with what he is led to believe was Jimmy Carter's plan to end the Cold War: a multi-national antiterrorism task force. Which brings us up to speed.

Other characters in the story include:

Montel Williams: yes, that Montel. IOTL, he was a Navy officer until a sick leave caused by a tainted vaccine cut his military career short. ITTL, as a result of butterflies, this never happens, and he takes part in Operation Evening Light (the ITTL version of Eagle Claw). Soon after, his tour of duty comes up, and traumatized by the horror of the Evening Light disaster, he leaves the military to pursue a career as a war correspondent for the young Cable News Network, better known as CNN.

Pat Robertson: famed televangelist and, IOTL, ill-fated presidential candidate. Driven by an apocalyptic vision, who knows what the future holds for him?

Billy Carter: Brother of the late President Carter, and the man behind Billy Beer. Last seen working out a deal with Colonel Qaddafi to import Billy Beer into Libya.

Ronald Reagan: Minor player ITTL; apparent savior of the Republican Party, his presidential hopes are derailed by Carter's unexpectedly strong performance in the '80 election. Last seen planning a California gubernatorial comeback bid.

Tony Mendez: Mastermind behind the Canadian Caper; while he was kept under wraps IOTL, President Carter used him effectively as a propaganda tool ITTL. The contemporary fame of the Canadian Caper (known ITTL as the Argo Escape) led to the Argo script actually being turned into a film, with Mendez himself cast in the lead role as a publicity stunt. While Argo: a Cosmic Conflagration is mediocre and forgettable, his performance is praised for its unexpected skill, and he picks up an Oscar nod.

Oh my dear Vlad, remember all those rumours about you... let's show them what the real Putin can do with those moves, you were champion in marital arts at this time show these Americans what true CQC looks like.

OBSERVER, you've been patiently waiting for an update concerning legislation that the Mondale administration would go for; so the next update will concern that.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to actually translate "Legislation passed by the Mondale administration" into narrative, so for now I'm just going to say that campaigning by Mondale gets the ERA ratified, and it becomes the 27th Amendment. Not that I won't be writing a proper chapter on this, but that's something that happens.

(Having a hard time figuring out how to make things into narrative has been the source of a lot of delays on this TL.)

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to actually translate "Legislation passed by the Mondale administration" into narrative, so for now I'm just going to say that campaigning by Mondale gets the ERA ratified, and it becomes the 27th Amendment. Not that I won't be writing a proper chapter on this, but that's something that happens.

(Having a hard time figuring out how to make things into narrative has been the source of a lot of delays on this TL.)

Committee hearings? Bill signing ceremonies with a decent amount of info-dump?