Final fate of "British Columbia" by the end

• 1. Eventual independence

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • 2. Eventual merging with the US

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • 3. Something else (post in thread for more details)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you. Need to change the characters. I'll get rid of Captain Heathcliff altogether and replace him with Colonel Wellesley. Thanks for pointing that out.
Edit. All Heathcliff mentions are gone and replaced by Colonel Wellesley. I got rid of any "Duke of Wellington" mentions as well, as per Deckhand's advice. I also added a small section in the last chapter about France trying to make an alliance with Russia.
You might want to read a bit about Czar Paul I before you suggest he would ally with France. He was a reactionary who basically tried to reverse his Mother Catherine the Great's expansionist tendencies. And most importantly he hated France. Paul hated the French before their revolution, and afterwards, with their republican and anti-religious views, he detested them even more. So in this time line he will hate them perhaps a bit less that in ours, but he still hates them.

Chapter 6 Important Speeches and Quotations
Small update, to make sure I'm doing something. Here are some important quotations from this timeline.

“The American Dream, where all people are not only created equal, but treated equally, is fast becoming a reality. An age of Votes and Speeches is also here, with the protection of voting rights to ensure democracy is not just on paper but actually occurring as we speak. America also stands tall on the foreign stage in an era of ‘Iron and Blood’; we will defend our fundamental rights against any foe, and we hope to inspire others with them. The famous African American civil rights activist Booker T. Washington once stated he wanted his children to be judged ‘not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character’. A proposed civics education bill will help realize his belief. Some would say, ‘American Dream is not merely about race. Massive class issues make it very hard for the law to treat everyone equally.’ To that, a new welfare initiative to provide relief for Americans who have difficulty making ends meet—I understand the plight of many Americans in our cities, factories and countryside. America will continue to live up to its founding ideals, and it will become a shining beacon for the huddled masses of the world. Together, we will make the Founding Fathers proud. They wanted their country to become an inspiration not only for their own citizens, but for all mankind—even if it meant great danger. Not even the loss of a large section of their own country could stop them from enshrining their ideals in the U.S. Constitution.”
Excerpt of a State of the Union Address, 1878, by Otto Leopold Bismarck (ATL Version of Otto von Bismarck).

“Jefferson sparked an anti-slavery crisis with the anti-slavery language in the Declaration of Independence and later in the U.S. Constitution. Historians think that this crisis molded America into a country that would stop at nothing to ensure that all its people were treated equally. Most of the presidents would share this belief, and they would guide the country into the direction it was supposed to be—a shining torch of hope to the other peoples of the world."
-Richard Nixon, in his book A More Perfect Union: On How the USA Developed (1974); later, an audiobook version would be satirically called the “Nixon Tapes”

"The violence in early 19th-century Prussia was almost fantastic in its scale. It was one of the most violent rebellions ever, partially succeeding in what the revolutionaries wanted, but many in the succeeding generation would wonder, 'Why? Why did all this bloodshed happen, and were the benefits worth it?' Many families, such as the Leopold (Bismarck) family, fled to escape the political violence, often to the United States of America due to the frontier being advertised as the 'Land of Opportunity'. The aforementioned Otto Leopold was born in the U.S. after his parents fled Prussia. He changed his name to "Otto Leopold Bismarck" to remind himself of his heritage, and perhaps because he wanted to sound cooler. He wasn't wrong. After a brief career studying law, he ran for the House of Representatives almost as soon as he was old enough and could meet the other requirements. His activism in welfare and his charismatic speeches won him his first election, but his star would not stop there..."
-Also from A More Perfect Union: On How the USA Developed

“Those ‘British Columbians’ to the south of us concern themselves excessively with their own color. It’s madness, I say. Then again, they ran off in terror when Jefferson pointed out the contradiction between slavery and a government supposedly wanting freedom. They did not value their freedom from Great Britain enough to sacrifice their own lifestyles of oppression.”
-Alexander Hamilton.

“It is not merely the color of skin that causes unfair treatment. Women are being treated unfairly. Workers are being treated unfairly. Poor people are being treated unfairly—all by the government and industry.”
-Harriet Beecher Stowe

"The journey towards the 'shining city on a hill' that our ancestors dreamed of is perhaps a never-ending one. But maybe that's okay. The search for equal rights is a constant battle to improve ourselves. Our leaders have performed admirably, but there is always room to grow."
-Abraham Lincoln

"Away down South in the land of Traitors"
-First line of a satirical song "Johnny Reb" criticizing and satirizing British Columbia for its refusal to formally join the American Revolution out of fear that slavery would be abolished while praising the efforts of the titular "Johnny Reb" and other parts of the "Fires in the Rear" that distracted British soldiers in the south to make the American Revolution successful. The song "Johnny Reb" was popular in the United States of America as a result.

"Angus Meatpackers used every part of the cow except for the 'Moo'."
-First line of the book The Urban Horror by Grover Cleveland. This book displayed the industrialized horror of meatpackers, and the appalling conditions suffered by their workers. The book follows the main character, David Dunburrow, as he immigrates to the U.S. thinking it a land of opportunity. He finds few opportunities and ends up working at a meatpacking industry, where the terrible working conditions described in graphic detail make him ill of poisoning rather quickly. His family is quite literally torn apart by the industry (one scene depicts his cousin falling over an edge and get diced to bits below); the company (due to operating in a time with surpluses of labor) fires David Dunburrow after he has expended his value. Dunburrow ends up on the wrong side of the law and ends the story in prison, upon which, he finds other prisoners that were working in an organized labor movement. He decides to join them when the prison is compromised via a break-in. Published in 1876, and quickly became a bestseller. It spurred calls for safer workplaces and more pay for workers.

Last edited:
Fine, how could I improve it?
So far dunno, didn't feel that narrative, fell more a remixed version of your old post, read Decades of Darkness, that mixed both style so well should give pointers how to do it.

The second have not fix unless you rewrite everything

Come to think about it, I'll probably just have all the America chapters done and do the rest of the world in the "Expanded Universe" section if there is popularity. Turns out, I'm not that good at writing outside of the USA. Let me know for more feedback.

Did this TL just die? I'm worried about that. In that case, I will just speed up the film and get these chapters done: "1836: Emancipation Year"
"American Bismarck". Come see these, because they are big divergences from OTL, and contain the important theme of living up to the ideas espoused in the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence. They will be up soon

Maybe I should ask, "What do you want?"

Last edited:
Did this TL just die? I'm worried about that. In that case, I will just speed up the film and get these chapters done: "1836: Emancipation Year"
"American Bismarck". Come see these, because they are big divergences from OTL, and contain the important theme of living up to the ideas espoused in the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence. They will be up soon

Maybe I should ask, "What do you want?"
We can't all be reading this thread 24/7. Calm down.

Road map: I'm not that good at non-US history writing tbh. The update will zoom to 1836--Emancipation year, and will be extra length.

I'm worried that you seem to care more about people's reactions to your timeline than the timeline itself. If you really enjoy the topic you're writing about, then just write it, and people will come in time.

I'm worried that you seem to care more about people's reactions to your timeline than the timeline itself. If you really enjoy the topic you're writing about, then just write it, and people will come in time.
Thank you HeX. I will just write it. Thank you for the advice.

Chapter 7: 1836: Emancipation Year
The Presidents from 1810 to 1836 had the difficult task of keeping the United States safe from the European powers, a task they performed successfully. A "Frigid Conflict" period began around 1810-1814, and was primarily due to worsening relationships with European countries. The buildup of the U.S. Navy to protect U.S. ships from impressment (kidnapping of sailors) occurred during this time, and as the U.S. Navy increased in size and the large European wars winded down, so did impressment. The Presidents from 1810-1836 also oversaw the industrialization of the United States into one of the most formidable economic powers in the world, and the growth of the American military to hold its own on its home territory. The "Era of Good Feelings" from 1820-1828 saw a decrease in partisanship, and a growing respect the political parties (Federalists and Democratic-Republicans) had for each other. By 1828, the Tariff issue would be decided in favor of the more industrialized northern states. Several new states had joined the United States: Indiana in 1816, Illinois in 1818, Missouri in 1820, and Maine in 1824. Several diplomatic close calls existed, but they did not lead to war… yet. Trouble would be brewing on the horizon in 1837, but this was a bit in the future. The United States was able to stay neutral in the various European wars and rebellions that occurred in this period, and make profits from all sides involved.

Large amounts of immigration had arrived in the United States from 1820 onward, spurred by beliefs in the “Land of Opportunity”—many of these immigrants worked the growing factories and other industrial enterprises. Many of them suffered dangerous working conditions and little pay, but they would soon be able to find their voice. For by the late 1830s, writers would take to sharing the plight of the immigrant worker in the “dark satanic mills”, and the American people would start to listen.

The slave trade (not just the transatlantic but also the interstate) was banned in 1820 under the James Monroe administration. This was considered one of the crowning achievements of the Monroe administration. Westward expansion continued, the economy continued to hum, and no foreign disasters occurred. Monroe had grand plans for helping protect the independence movements and recently independent countries in South America such as ‘Gran Columbia’ from European powers, but did not see much success in passing those plans through Congress. After all, many Congressmen questioned the ability of the United States to support any such doctrine, and the idea was placed on the back burner for now. There was also a fear that such a protection would lead to a US war with European powers, which while the country was busily professionalizing its own military and expanding its industry, a war not fought on US soil against a major European power was seen as a terrible idea. Monroe also supported large amounts of westward expansion, seeing it as “America’s destiny” to expand to the Pacific Ocean coast discovered by Lewis and Clark all those years ago. With westward expansion came the formation of new farms and enterprises stretching to the western territories and later, the new states.

The early 1830s saw the development of several new cultural factors. The first was the "Second Great Awakening", where religion took a greater role in the lives of many Americans. This period saw religious revival that helped with some reforms in America, and was a product of the "market revolution" spurring industrialism. Social and geographic mobility issues also contributed to the formation of the "Second Great Awakening" . Besides with religion, the "Second Great Awakening" also helped with the formation of the temperance movement, concerning alcohol, and also the formation of other moral, social, and reform movements. New branches of Christianity formed or became popular, and many of the converts were women. Women also played a large role in the reform movements, such as the push for universal education in the 1830s. Dorothea Dix spearheaded a movement to improve the treatment of the mentally ill. In one dramatic case, Cane Ridge, Kentucky saw a massive meeting of 25000 people in the "Camp Meeting" led by the prominent preacher Charles, G. Finney.

The main tenets of the "Second Great Awakening" were these
  1. People need to readmit God and Jesus into their lives
  2. God's grace obtainable by faith and good deeds
  3. Needed to reject rationalism that threatened beliefs
  4. Predestination vanished
The Year was 1836. Emancipation year, as slavery was to cease to exist that year. The expansion of slavery, as well as the slave trade, were banned earlier, and by Emancipation year most of the states had already freed their slaves. Many of the more religious people, due to the “Second Great Awakening” had saw this prophesized year, 60 years since the hallowed First Independence Year, as a year of great tidings. Plans were made of a bureau called the “Freedmen’s Bureau” to serve black Americans once slavery ended—often giving them plots of land and the supplies needed for successful agriculture. And it was official that on July 4, 1836 that slavery would cease to exist.

The cost of freedom was immense. It was often said that the “Panic of 1837” was partially due to the large cost used to free the slaves and attempt to provide for them once slavery was over.

When the day finally came, speeches were sent and given out, and the Negro would be forever free in the United States of America. The famous writer Emerson stated that “Americans were finally beginning to live up to their Founding Fathers’ ideas and making them proud. There still are plenty of injustices to solve, though, and we need to raise attention to them.” These would include racial discrimination, especially in the workplace. Often times, African Americans were the “last hired and first fired” of the employees. The system of "tenant farming" developed, but was quickly derided as abusive and at one point, called "slavery by another name". It would be removed several years later, but clearly, America needed to still make large strides to become the "land of the free, and the home of the brave" that it saw itself as.

Last edited:
I'm going to need a villain (that's not Britain... HeX did that. Besides, I'll write the "British Columbia" post-1810 chapter sometime in the future. )
Any good villain choices? (And maybe not the standard ones?)

I'm going to need a villain (that's not Britain... HeX did that. Besides, I'll write the "British Columbia" post-1810 chapter sometime in the future. )
Any good villain choices? (And maybe not the standard ones?)
if got that way your story is already a failure, there not such thing as a villain in RL(Besides hitler and yet his rivals got higher body count and hitler is a very almost magical set of butterflies), write a real story first