Final fate of "British Columbia" by the end

• 1. Eventual independence

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • 2. Eventual merging with the US

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • 3. Something else (post in thread for more details)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Virginia and Kentucky would most likely join British Columbia (North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee and Texas) given their cultural, social and economic ties with them. They wouldn't immediately secede yet since they are the state that was the birthplace of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson but with things such as the Northern states outnumbering Virginia and Kentucky in terms of population coupled with the increasing antislavery sentiment in the North and the Alien and Sedition Acts and in OTL let to those states adapt resolutions denouncing these legislations. It would only be a matter of time before Virginia and Kentucky would leave the United States and join British Columbia. Also Sampleswift, there's a timeline similar to yours called Timeline 1828: A Southern-Less USA by PGBSHurricane that also focuses on the South seceding early from the United States this time due to there being no Three-Fifths Compromise and is known as the Southern American Confederation (SAC) they also have half of Virginia and Kentucky (Cumberland) part of them.

By the way, what does the flag of British Columbia look like. It's going to have the British Union Jack but do they have any symbols or colors on their flag you have in mind.
I disagree. With a more solidly anti-slavery Jefferson, and even others like Madison and Washington, Virginia could be swayed into the anti-slavery camp in a matter of years or decades. Kentucky more so even.

Ficboy

Banned
I disagree. With a more solidly anti-slavery Jefferson, and even others like Madison and Washington, Virginia could be swayed into the anti-slavery camp in a matter of years or decades. Kentucky more so even.
Virginia however is still very much pro-slavery and even it still plays a big role in the economy of the state and to an extent Kentucky. Even if Jefferson, Madison and Washington were antislavery, Virginia would be reluctant to give up it's most valuable institution. Just look at Timeline 1828, Virginia and Kentucky were split up between the USA and SAC. Something similar could happen with the United States of America and the Dominion of British Columbia.

And that is exactly what happened. Thanks for the support!
Note: Many of the most rabidly pro-slavery Virginians fled south with their slaves, but Virginia did end up going into the anti-slavery camp within a matter of years precisely due to solidly anti-slavery Jefferson, Washington, Madison, et al.

Ficboy

Banned
Thanks. I just have to go write it. I will put the link in the next post after this one. It will be longer than normal...
Glad to see at least some interest.
Speaking of which perhaps a TV Tropes page would be nice to make on the website. Some Alternate History Discussion timelines just so happen to have their own pages on TV Tropes.

I'm not sure if you're continuing this, but what happens to Haiti ITTL?
Oh, I will continue this. This isn't over yet. There will either be a part 2 or a continuation. Sorry for the massive delay. Content should be more regular after I get back to school and talk with my friends about this.
Haiti... I think it stays rather irrelevant and weak tbh. Most European countries don't want to associate with it (due to racism) and the US, while offering some support, doesn't offer all that much.

Are most of the members of Churchill's cabinet ITTL politicians in Labour IOTL?
Thanks for asking. I think he decided to compromise with most factions prior to the end of the "Dreadful War", so yes, there will be some IOTL Labour politicians in Churchill's cabinet. This, however, is a very diverse institution.

The Economic Calamity
This period from 1927 to about 1936 was called the Economic Calamity due to the complete collapse of the US economy, and the economies of many other countries around the world. Bank runs and panic attacks started to occur in the year 1927 with the stock market crash of "Black Week" from January 7 through 14 where the stock market plummeted. Effects of the Economic Calamity included collapses in industrial production, sharp spikes in homelessness, unemployment, and poverty, and gross domestic product declines. Black Week was a stock market crash caused by the expansion of the US stock market after the Dreadful War (most of the expansion occurred in the early 1920s. More to come.

Drastic changes had to be done for the United States to get anywhere near the prosperity of old. The one bright spot was that the last of the Knights of the Golden Circle were finally hunted to extinction or brought to trial—they would no longer trouble America with assassination sprees or hate crimes. Racial relations in America were primarily due to financial purposes—white, black, Asian-American, etc. were all suffering from the same financial problems of the depression. Everyone wanted a way out (even though some racial violence did occur, it was not at very high levels). The US economic sector needed radical changes, and quickly.

Agricultural reforms also needed to happen, with a massive disaster like the Soot Wall happening around that time. The Soot Wall occurred when massive clouds of wind-blown soil formed walls of doom which blanketed the Great Plains and charged into cities, causing “dust pneumonia”. This phenomenon also wrecked the farmlands of the Great Plains. The Soot Wall was partially due to an existing drought in the 1920s getting out of control, but it was also exacerbated due to the exhaustion of soil nutrients in the Great Plains. Intensive agriculture due to the extra demands of food for the expanded US Army in the “Dreadful War” would lead to the soil erosion in the Great Plains. Musicians of the time would often remark at the “dust blowing in the wind”, and how the old Great Plains seemed to have “blown away with the wind”.

Europe was also badly affected by the Economic Calamity. The German economy and many countries neutral in the “Dreadful War” crashed due to their trade connections with the US economy and the end of the post--“Dreadful War” economic euphoria. The countries on the wrong end of the “Dreadful War”—especially Britain, France, and Russia, who bore the brunt of it (Spain and Netherlands had less punishing peace terms), were even worse off. Germany, once its economy started tanking, decided to demand the reparation money immediately. This eventually spiraled out of control and led to a military crisis, especially in Russia, where some of Russia’s westernmost areas ended up being occupied by German forces until Russia paid off its reparation money. This obviously caused revanchism to increase in Russia.

The poverty rate skyrocketed as many people in America and around the world started losing hope. First the horrors of the “Dreadful War”, now this. This would be a time for new leaders to start making waves around the world; the economic recovery would have to begin quickly for the countries to survive. One thing in common with many of these recoveries was a realization that the old system was barely functional and much had to be changed.

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of updates in the last month, they will be coming out more frequently.
I haven't done a Germany chapter in ages so I'll do that for the next chapter.

Before I move on to Germany during the Economic Calamity, what do you want me to cover or re-cover that I haven't covered or covered well? I'm open to input.

Germany part 2: New Content
The National Recovery of Germany: Part 1

Tirpitz became the chancellor of Germany in the year 1928. He had many reforms and ideas to get Germany out of the “Economic Calamity” period (sometimes also known as the “World Depression”, among other names. In Germany, as in many other countries, panic in the stock market happened, and the panic selling caused people to attempt to dump stocks before the stocks lost all their value. causing consumer spending and investment to decline. This also led to the crash in production and employment. German banks were in a state of financial ruin during the “Economic Calamity”, as the German populace lost confidence in banks and other financial institutions.

The Run on the Munich Banks occurred on December 2, 1927, and kicked off several other incidents in Germany. A bank run occurs when a large number of people who deposit funds into a bank withdrew all their funds at once due to losing confidence in the security of that bank. In a bank run, a bank needs to sell its assets and quickly liquidate its loans to grant the necessary cash (since a Bank usually holds only a fraction of its deposits in cash at one time). The losses a bank suffers this way can make a bank insolvent; in some cases, bank runs started to cause the banks to collapse, further crashing the economy.

Banks were closed temporarily almost immediately until the German government inspectors determined that the banks were solvent. In addition, Many Germans were suspicious of this measure, so Tirpitz decided to give speeches to address the German people directly. This program was called “The Kanzler (German for chancellor) and the Radio”; in his first speech, Chancellor Tirpitz explained why he and the German federal legislature, the Bundestag, did the actions they did. Tirpitz reassured Germans that the bank failures of the previous year would not happen again, and the banks would be secure upon reopening. In addition, the Bundestag started to pass laws regulating finances in Germany. Another important part of the Tirpitz recovery included the liquidation of certain unprofitable companies in Germany. The dissolution of these companies and the streamlining of their assets helped the German economy recover, as did a revitalization of the research sector.

Germany had some holdings in Africa. These were exploited for their resources so that Germany could provide for itself during the “Economic Calamity”. However, abuses of the Africans were extremely common during this period. In one of the blunders of American human rights policy, not much awareness happened here. Admittedly, everyone was struggling past the economic collapses, but this was heinous. Much of the population of German holdings in Africa (especially Kamerun) were quite literally worked to death. (This only ended after the economy of Germany had largely recovered). Needless to say, this did not reflect well on German colonial administrators.

Tirpitz’ recovery in terms of bank fixing inspired many other countries to perform similar measures with their banks. In fact, the US bank recovery was heavily based off the Tirpitz bank program in Germany.

School has started again! I'm excited. I'm a comparative literature major at UGA. Note: I might do the vignettes again, or perhaps continue the Economic Calamity section. Your choice.