Japanese racial policy in WW2 victory

what would Japanese do to non japanese in their empire assuming no war with US and soviets are peace or are defeated by nazis

bigger nanking ?

will they exterminate them through forced labour or enlsave them or British model of goverment ?

They wanted to rule over them citing that the Europeans were allowed to rule over Asia and Africa, they will view them as inferior and do many terrors and brutalities and use them for resource exploitation and forced labour and some places will be wanted for settling Japanese and some will just be to rule over natives

They wanted to rule over them citing that the Europeans were allowed to rule over Asia and Africa, they will view them as inferior and do many terrors and brutalities and use them for resource exploitation and forced labour and some places will be wanted for settling Japanese and some will just be to rule over natives
no extermination right ?

what would Japanese do to non japanese in their empire assuming no war with US and soviets are peace or are defeated by nazis

bigger nanking ?

will they exterminate them through forced labour or enlsave them or British model of goverment ?
They would probably rule them like an old colonial power with massacres to deal with potential rebellions.

They will rule over Asia as a colonial power till America decides to go for round 2 ten years later. Then resume as per OTL.

I would imagine that there'd be two faces to Japanese rule... there'd be the "public" one - where the Japanese are liberators from Western Oppression, setting up "fully autonomous" satellite states, and Japanese and local populations cooperating to create a shiny happy new future...
Then there'd be the other face... the real one... where the Japanese military and industrialists really run the show, the "autonomous" governments are just window dressing, and any sign of local dissent is quashed in a hail of gunfire, bayonetting, and atrocities, too... sickening to mention.
In short, it wouldn't be a pretty picture....

This sort of propaganda.
ag3oqgn76lj21.png

The reality would have been somewhat less congenial.

Contrasting with the Nazis who worked out exactly how many people of each conquered country was to be killed or enslaved, the Japanese didn't have much of a master plan for how they would handle the massive population of its Asian territories. From what I've read, the stated goal was to create good conditions across Asia for Japanese to settle outside their overpopulated islands, do trade, and "civilize" countries of Korea, China, etc.

In mass murder the the Imperial Japanese Army seemed to take a pragmatic (if you can call it that) view; for example, they saw the use of massacres and biological and chemical weapons to kill Chinese soldiers and civilians as a good military strategy to help them defeat the "bandit" Nationalist Chinese government, and bring order to Asia. The rationale was that there were just too many Chinese and the IJA needed every technological advantage it could get to win.

In Manchuria, which was seen as the Japanese version of lebensraum, they were content to import millions of laborers from Chinese proper to build up the industry and infrastructure there, albeit under such poor conditions that this human capital was being routinely buried in "10,000-man graves" after they died from overwork. At the same time, Japan wasn't out to dismantle Chinese cities brick by brick or turn Beijing into a lake, Generalplan Ost-style. They wanted a subservient China dominated by Tokyo, and this country would probably serve as the center of their pan-Asian empire.

Pan-Asianism as an ideology wasn't ever properly codified, but based on what the Japanese academics did talk about and the actions of Japanese officials, it's pretty certain it entailed developing industry and society across the empire, but with the condition that Japanese people, laws, and culture were superior to everyone and everything else. From the experiences of Korean and Chinese collaborators, we can see that a good number of them liked their service enough that they learned Japanese and followed their bosses' orders pretty well. Likewise, ordinary people living under Japanese rule were often allowed to get on with their lives if they were in a relatively peaceful or well-developed area.

One observation I remember reading was that when the Japanese in some eastern Chinese city surrendered in 1945, the locals complained that the "dogs" (Japanese police who were harsh yet kept order) were gone, but they were replaced by "pigs" (corrupt Chinese officials who ignored the law). Another account I read from a Chinese person whose grandmother grew up in Manchuria during the occupation was pretty favorable to the Japanese since they did build the region up massively. Apparently some of those benefits did trickle down to some Chinese, but that wouldn't change the fact that they (and Koreans, Vietnamese, Indonesians, etc.) were second-class citizens in their own countries and that millions of their less-fortunate compatriots were being brutalized and slaughtered.

My guess is that if the Japanese "won" in Asia (defeated China, didn't get the Americans to intervene, or more implausibly, defeated the Americans), they'd continue their "pan-Asian" efforts to build a developed empire with Japanese being the local master race, and kill somewhere upwards of 50 million people in the process before running out of money and political energy.

Last edited:
I must say it's a little strange posting on this thread, while I've got NHK News going on in the background...
The past century has been a weird one....

I don't think it'd be as bad some people would suggest, but it wouldn't be a particularly fun time either for their subjects.

Megadeaths on the scale of tens of millions post-conquest seem a bit unlikely. Millions, probably. I imagine that after the war things might settle down although perhaps that is simply my optimism. Although they might achieve those numbers if they get bogged down in China long enough they resort to biological weapons to squash rebellion.

It'd probably vary in areas. I imagine in lands suitable and attractive for Japanese settlement the local populations are probably going to suffer some ghastly ethnic cleansing while distant puppet states might be ruled with a relatively light hand.

Certainly no Nazi Germany, but it would be pretty oppressive and nasty to it's non-Japanese populations. I imagine the Japanese might fair a bit better, though it would probably not be a fun time.

In terms of oppressiveness I would say something similar to Stalin's Soviet Union for their respective minorities, although as for the ruling ethnic group I imagine the Japanese might get a bit of a better deal than the Russians.

It would be a dark world for anyone living in the empire.

As another poster wrote, it would be the Congo Free State on steroids. State sanctioned exploitation and slavery of the locals under brutal conditions.

Nobusuke Kishi, who was in control of Japanese occupied Manchuria, reflect this view:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobusuke_Kishi#Economic_manager_of_Manchukuo
Congo free state with millions of Soviet, British, American and French armed guerillas in mountains, jungles, deserts, cities, forests, and tundra bleeding Japan white of an entire generation.

They will rule over Asia as a colonial power till America decides to go for round 2 ten years later. Then resume as per OTL.
America not carrying out the Pacific War to its conclusion seems very unlikely, but if they did decide to sign a peace treaty, why would they renew the war later? Wouldn’t they need congressional support, and what are the chances that Japan would have nuclear weapons by the mid 1950’s?

An unreconstructed Japan with nukes is a truly scary place, especially because they’d be fond of truly ghastly massive retaliation for any rebellions or the like.

OTL made nukes bigger until they were truly unusable but necessarily but there’s no inherent reason they couldn’t be made smaller and more tactical as a general approach. That would have ugly consequences as a tool for colonial suppression that the Japanese Empire would have been A-ok with.