Japan goes north instead of south in WWII?

I recently learned that this idea had been floated and ultimately rejected, and also about the speculation surrounding it. (Specifically, on the effects it might have on the Eastern Front. Because Youtube.)

The thing is, I think in and of itself this will be of minimal help to the Nazis. The Soviets have more land than Japan has men to hold it down, and so while the loss of these resources (and access to the Pacific) will be a loss, they can afford to concentrate on Germany first and then turn their attention to Japan.

What this does mean, however, is that it becomes a lot harder to justify an attack on Pearl Harbor. America is a lot less of a direct threat to Japan's ambitions in this scenario, and they ought to be weary of taking on two massive, powerful nations at once. And so America stays, on paper, neutral (...for a while; Hitler's still peeved about all this "lend-lease" stuff and would love to goad someone into distracting us).

Let's say America stays out of the war. With that, and a weakened USSR (both because of the losses to Japan and because it's not like Harry Ford is going to be flying to the Soviet Union to help them make tanks ITTL), could it be enough to turn the tide of war in the Nazi's favor?

Probably not. But it will be a hell of a slough. And afterward, the world will look completely different.

The Soviets still have Japan to deal with at this point. Do the British help? I doubt it; they're exhausted at this point, and don't actually like Stalin to begin with--a pox on both their houses. Then again, the Japanese navy wouldn't have been cooling their heels this entire time--well, probably; I don't know how big the Navy's loss of face that caused the Japanese to choose the northern strategy in the first place would have been or what the incident that caused it was--and turning a blind eye to them sinking shipping caravans or whatever would not look good. Still, a "temporary" ceasefire could at least be floated in a war-weary Britain (and would piss Stalin off to no end should it actually happen).

Then again, I don't think Britain wants Stalin to conquer Japan--especially not if Churchill has anything to say about it. On the other other hand, this is well before the advent of domino theory--this could just be read as the logical conclusion of Russia's history of eastward expansion and not be seen as all that significant. To counter that counter, however, Japan is very clearly not Siberia, I don't care how racist you are or about the fact that this is pre-post-war economic miracle.

In conclusion, idunno.

If the British are still in the war, however, it because a race to see whether they can defeat Japan's navy before Russia can defeat Japan's army. So what does Japan do in this case? I think the Japanese army stays in Russia; they view the Soviets as the bigger threat (I mean, existentially speaking), they've had years to fortify their positions at this point, and the Japanese army absolutely does not want to lose face. It becomes a slough.

But is the war at sea much better? The RN is the biggest in the world, but it's exhausted, and unless the Japanese navy has been doing some heinous shit to Australia and the like (unlikely, because again, northern strategy) the public at home are increasingly wondering why they should care about Japan. Meanwhile, the Japanese navy has basically had to sit in a corner for several years and watch the army hog all the glory (presumably), and is fresh and eager to prove what they can do. Of course, arguably the better the navy does, the worse things will be for Japan, but I don't think that's a factor in their thinking.

If the RN get into a position to do their own version of Operation Downfall (they won't have nukes) before the public get tired of Churchill's shit, can they pull it off? Fuck if I know.

Say the British decide to allow the Russians and Japanese kill each other off, though. What's America's position on this? We haven't exactly been friendly with Japan up until this point, but do we really want to let them get conquered by a bunch of godless commies? I'm not suggesting that we'd enter the war on their side or anything, but without Britain in the picture, the sudden lifting of a whole lot of sanctions and embargoes could easily happen. I don't think we'd go as far as doing lend-lease, because the Japanese are doing a lot of objectively heinous shit in their conquered lands (also, the risk of acute irony poisoning), but we' turned a blind eye to (and committed) a lot of objectively heinous shit during OTL's cold war.

One way or another, the great powers are all exhausted, and America may have the strength to become a superpower, but does it have the will? Does it have the sense of having earned it? It doesn't have the military-industrial complex to goad it into wars for oil. More darkly, the American Nazi movement was never discredited the way it was OTL. That's gonna be a problem during the civil rights era. The world is...changed.

There's no oil in the Russian far-east in 1941. The Japanese industrial complex and war effort in /Russia/China grind to a halt.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
They run out of oil in under six months, their light infantry based military gets wiped out by Soviet mechanized forces (Soviets never pulled their forces from the Far East Front, unlike that some folks think, "Siberia" was Central Asia and into the 'Stans) that still have oil. GThey are unable to resupply the Chinese Area Army over the long distances it has advanced, resulting in a rather inglorious retreat to Manchunko, where the Kwantung Army, or what is left of it, and the surviving formations of the Chinese Area Army may manage to hold off the Chinese (who are much more interested in having a Civil War than fighting the Japanese at that point) at least until the Soviets are done with the Reich.

Going North isn't just a bad idea because the Soviets will likely kick their ass, but because the Japanese needed resources, including additional food production as well as oil, copper, tin, etc. and all of those lay to the South.

nbcman

Donor
It's a great plan if you think that the Japanese can blitz through the Soviets and cover the near 10,000 km from Vladivostok to Baku at the speed of LPCs (Leather Personnel Carriers). Not bloody likely before the oil storage tanks run dry.

There's no oil in the Russian far-east in 1941. The Japanese industrial complex and war effort in /Russia/China grind to a halt.
*headdesk*

I just sort of assumed there was, based on this being something that was seriously considered by a nation with such an obvious oil problem.

There's a reason why it never went further than plans on paper.

By 1941 the IJA had made it clear in the dicussions with the government that as long as their forces continued to be tied in China, they wouldn't attack the USSR except in the event of its catastrophic collapse in the war against Germany. (The war against the US was seen more as the Navy's affair which is why the Army didn't oppose it.) Taking into account that the German invasion was quite catastrophic for the Soviets already IOTL, it is quite clear that they had given themselves a very high bar to cross before they would take any action.

Biggest impact to the Soviets would be disruption of the Pacific Lend-Lease route. That would require some IJN assets being sent north instead of OTL uses.

With all those army resources going North, Japan get a lot of their historical gains in SE Asia and the South Pacific. This probably frees up ANZAC and colonial troops for North Africa.

What if Japan uses coal to synthesize fuel? Germany did that IOTL. There's a lot of coal in coastal east Russia, and the technology had been around for a while (Germany had started in the 1910s)
1581971452388.png

They demolish the Soviet Far Eastern Forces and the USSR collapses due to lack of 50% Lend Lease in 1942. IJN becomes immobilized due to oil shortages but the idea the KMT could defeat the China Expeditionary Army is without merit.

WWII ends in an Axis favorable draw around 1946 or so.

No they couldn't. They were embargoed because of their war in China by the US.

It was the occupation of Indo-China that caused the US to freeze Japanese assets in July before they cut oil and gas to Japan in August, 1941. Japan had been playing butcher in China for a solid 4-5 years before this. The US was obviously concerned for their Chinese markets, however, it was the expansion into the pacific that ratcheted up tensions further.

marathag

Banned
What if Japan uses coal to synthesize fuel? Germany did that IOTL. There's a lot of coal in coastal east Russia, and the technology had been around for a while (Germany had started in the 1910s)
found this post WWII look at Synthetic Oil Production
1581983782450.png

Note that Capital investment for a 2M dollar plant, and the Natural Gas input. The 1949 report listed that the US Efficiency was 55%, while the Nazis were 25% lower. Earlier plants were even worse for efficiency

Last edited: