James Garfield Not Assasinated

What if James Garfield hadn't been shot by Charles Guiteau? Would he have done anything differently from Chester A Arthur? Could he have been re-nominated and reelected in 1884?

Well apparently the Garfield and the Arthur cabinet were very different, so you can expect some change, guess like garfield he going to try to stop the in-fighting among republican

Without the assassination of Garfield the tradition of bearded presidents (and bearded politicians) remains strong in the United States. With the ascension of Benjamin Harrison to the presidency butterflied away, a succession of exceptionally able presidents make having a beard a virtual pre-requisite for being in political office.

After all the last president NOT to have a beard was Grover Cleveland and he was immensely fat. So if you're going to run for President and NOT have a beard in TTL you'd better be extremely out of shape...

:D

A couple of thoughts. I had heard that Chester Arthur pushed through Civil Service reform, having previously had a reputation as a spoilman.

I bought a book issued in tribute to Garfield. ONe of the things it said, I believe was that he strongly favoured the rights of negros.

Is it possible that Garfield would have tried to enforce Civil Rights, especially voting rights in the South? If he had could he have suceeded?

A couple of thoughts. I had heard that Chester Arthur pushed through Civil Service reform, having previously had a reputation as a spoilman.

I bought a book issued in tribute to Garfield. ONe of the things it said, I believe was that he strongly favoured the rights of negros.

Is it possible that Garfield would have tried to enforce Civil Rights, especially voting rights in the South? If he had could he have suceeded?

This would make for an interesting time line!

JohnJacques

Banned

He waffled on the issue. He emphasized education and the high tariff, until that failed to garner any support in the South.