It's Raining in Camelot: An Alternate 1964 Wikibox TL

Introduction
It's Raining in Camelot: An Alternate 1964 Wikibox TL
By Hydrons

1596929180095.png

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - John F. Kennedy

It was December 1963, and president John F. Kennedy was seemingly on the fast track to an easy re-election. He had garnered a great deal of sympathy after a near brush with death in Dallas just a couple weeks prior, his approval rating sat at 77%, the economy was booming. Things were going great for the President. However, this would all change in what would be one of the most chaotic campaign seasons in american history. No matter the result, the state of the nation would forever be altered by this tumultuous election.​

1964 Presidential election
We skip ahead a few months to June 6, 1964. Vice President Lyndon Johnson had been publicly shunned months prior due to his alleged involvement in the Bobby Baker scandal. On this day, the final nail would be hammered into Johnson's political coffin, as the president he had served under, John F. Kennedy, announced he would not be running with Johnson in the upcoming election. Johnson was not content with going down without a fight, however. On July 16, an article was published by the New York Times, an "anonymous staffer connected to the white house" came to them telling of mass scandal going on in the White House, from Kennedy's multiple extramarital affairs, to private health records showing diagnoses with Addison's disease and erectile dysfunction, to a potential coverup by both John and his brother Robert in the death of Marilyn Monroe. The media frenzy of this was astronomical, and within hours much of the public was made aware.

And the response was massive. Within weeks of the leak, Kennedy went from leading by 40 points against republican opponent Barry Goldwater, to a lead of just 6 points. Even Goldwater himself made a response, calling the reports "deeply troubling". His response wasn't major, but it was what the public wanted to hear. Despite no formal investigation in the claims ever beginning, the damage to Kennedy was already too far gone. Kennedy rarely stepped out in public due to the shame, refused to debate Goldwater, no rallies for months, all hurt Kennedy's numbers.

The only thing he had going for him was Goldwater's radical ideas being so unpopular across the country. The media attacks on Goldwater painted him as a right-wing radical who wanted to bring America into full-scale war in Vietnam and gut every new deal program ever made. Despite this, the race was still needle-thin, and no one knew who would win on election day.

1964.png

Despite the DNC's best attempt to save their guy, Goldwater managed to win an upset victory, carrying 274 electoral votes, though losing the popular vote by just 52,000 votes, and becoming the first winner of a presidential election to lose the popular vote since 1888.

John F. Kennedy, along with the whole Kennedy family, was put to shame with this election. Everyone wondered how a family that seemed so high could fall so low.

Camelot had fallen, and a conservative revolution had overtaken. No one knew what to expect of the future, but one thing could be agreed upon, it would be chaos.

Last edited:
Kennedy getting rocked by scandal leading to a Goldwater win in 64? Color me intrigued. Watched with interest.

Last edited:
1964 Down-ballot elections
The national election had some effect on down-ballot races as well. Though most stuck to their usual habits, some races showed some changes.

Otto Kerner had been a relatively popular governor in Illinois, but he faced challenges in his reelection bid due to his personal closeness with President Kennedy. He faced a strong opponent in moderate businessman Charles Percy, but Kerner paid him little attention during the campaign. This would turn out to be a fatal mistake.

1964 illinois.png

Cecil Underwood had served as Governor of West Virginia 4 years prior, and he was hoping to make a political comeback after having been term limited. His opponent, former West Virginia Democratic party chairman Hulett C. Smith, proved to be a challenge for the young former governor, but Underwood's youthful campaigning proved to be an asset, one that just barely put him over the top.

1964 wv.png

Kenneth Keating was one of many republican senators who refused to endorse Barry Goldwater for president, even despite the wave of support he had been getting following the leaks of Kennedy's scandals. Sam Stratton, an upstate congressman who represented the 35th district, faced a tough bid in the democratic primary when he was challenged by Robert F. Wagner, the mayor of NYC. It looked like the primary was going to be a shoe-in for Wagner, until the JFK scandals got leaked. Wagner and Tammany Hall had deep ties to the Kennedy family, and it was revealed Wagner and Tammany Hall had corruption of their own going on. Though most polls showed Wagner still narrowly beating Stratton, the latter pulled an upset on primary night. Nevertheless, Wagner received a decent 4.9% of the vote on a write-in Liberal Party campaign, but despite this, Stratton still beat Keating for the senate race.

1964 nysenate.png

1966 Midterm elections
Pat Brown had pledged to serve just 2 terms as governor, but he broke that pledge when he announced his decision to run for reelection to a 3rd term in 1966. This drew lots of negative feedback, along with his poor handling of the ongoing protests of the vietnam war. Law and order candidate and mayor of Los Angeles Sam Yorty decided to launch a primary bid against Brown, and won in an upset. Yorty was a fairly unpopular figure in California, but he drew from moderate conservatives who were dissatisfied with the GOP's nominee, Ronald Reagan, seen by many as just as extreme as President Goldwater, a very unpopular figure in the state himself. Though most polls showed a narrow Reagan win, everyone was shocked when they saw the result. Yorty had won yet another upset.

1966 california.png

In another state, Georgia, a wide primary field was made open when former governor and potential candidate for another term Ernest Vandiver refused to run due to health concerns. In a very competitive runoff, Ellis Arnall, a liberal Democrat and former governor himself, defeated segregationist businessman Lester Maddox by a hair. Maddox ran a write-in campaign and pulled a decent 11.45% of the vote, and prevented either Arnall and the Republican nominee Howard "Bo" Callaway from getting a majority of the vote. As per the Georgia state constitution, the state legislature was now forced to decide between either the liberal Arnall and the conservative Callaway. Most segregationists refused to support the integrationist Arnall, and flipped to Callaway in protest.

1966 georgia.png

1968 presidential election results will come out tomorrow!

1968 Presidential election
As everyone predicted, Goldwater's 4 years up to this point were a turning point for the nation, in almost every way imaginable, but let's focus on the big things.

One of the focal points of Barry Goldwater's presidency was the Vietnam War. Goldwater granted generals significant autonomy in war strategy and gave the go-ahead on a strategic bombing run along the Ho Chi Minh trail in the summer of 1965. This allowed the US to push deeper into the Viet Cong lines and led to significant American advancement in the war, but came at a cost of thousands of young American lives.

Back at home, counterculture protests were in full swing, clashes between civil rights marchers and segregationists, including incidents like Bloody Monday in Selma, Alabama in March of 1965, were among the most violent clashes seen in American history. In big urban cities such as Chicago and L.A., counterculture protests would be violently put down by city and state militias almost daily. Protesting the war was seen as a death sentence in some parts of the country due to just how violent the suppression of these protests was.

This led to significant dissatisfaction among the American public for Goldwater, although he maintained his support in a couple bastians, the mountain west and the deep south. However he lost one of these when in 1968 he signed in what was a very watered down form of a civil rights act into law, which still made dixiecrats too upset with Goldwater to continue supporting him. This led to George Wallace running for president that year under the American Independent Party banner, with Harland Sanders, founder of the fast food chain Kentucky Fried Chicken and avowed dixiecrat populist as his running mate.

So in the mess the Democratic party found itself in after 1964, who did they nominate for president this year? well, none other than Hubert Humphrey, Senator from Minnesota since 1949, who nearly won the democratic party nomination for president back in 1960. He seemed like a decent enough compromise candidate, calling for a strategic peace in Vietnam, civil rights legislation, a national healthcare system, and a return to new deal liberalism appeased most liberals and establishment democrats alike.

Goldwater's campaign emphasized the "need" to win in Vietnam and on law and order, Wallace campaigned on much of this as well, but to a harsher extent, and also called for the rolling back of civil rights protections that had been implemented over the years by the past 4 administrations. Humphrey campaigned on a strategic peace, increased civil rights protections, and a return to new deal-ism. A return to normalcy had been what most Americans had been looking for, after what was a tumultuous decade, and most pollsters were able to easily predict the outcome of the election at the end.

1968.png

Most historians accredit Humphrey's lopsided victory to high turnout in urban areas, especially among african american voters and young voters. Through a split in the south between Goldwater and Wallace, Humphrey was able to even pick up a few former Confederate states, these being Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida.

Last edited:
As everyone predicted, Goldwater's 4 years up to this point were a turning point for the nation, in almost every way imaginable, but let's focus on the big things.
Great update, eager to see more! Some thoughts on the various parts of the update below:
One of the focal points of Barry Goldwater's presidency was the Vietnam War. Goldwater granted generals significant autonomy in war strategy and gave the go-ahead on a strategic bombing run along the Ho Chi Minh trail in the summer of 1965. This allowed the US to push deeper into the Viet Cong lines and led to significant American advancement in the war, but came at a cost of thousands of young American lives.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning...smells like victory
Back at home, counterculture protests were in full swing, clashes between civil rights marchers and segregationists, including incidents like Bloody Monday in Selma, Alabama in March of 1965, were among the most violent clashes seen in American history. In big urban cities such as Chicago and L.A., counterculture protests would be violently put down by city and state militias almost daily. Protesting the war was seen as a death sentence in some parts of the country due to just how violent the suppression of these protests was.

This led to significant dissatisfaction among the American public for Goldwater, although he maintained his support in a couple bastians, the mountain west and the deep south. However he lost one of these when in 1968 he signed in what was a very watered down form of a civil rights act into law, which still made dixiecrats too upset with Goldwater to continue supporting him. This led to George Wallace running for president that year under the American Independent Party banner, with Harland Sanders, founder of the fast food chain Kentucky Fried Chicken and avowed dixiecrat populist as his running mate.
Segregation: It's Finger-Licking Good!
At least it's not reaching AWOLAWOT levels of strife, so that's something at least!
So in the mess the Democratic party found itself in after 1964, who did they nominate for president this year? well, none other than Hubert Humphrey, Senator from Minnesota since 1949, who nearly won the democratic party nomination for president back in 1960. He seemed like a decent enough compromise candidate, calling for a strategic peace in Vietnam, civil rights legislation, a national healthcare system, and a return to new deal liberalism appeased most liberals and establishment democrats alike.

Goldwater's campaign emphasized the "need" to win in Vietnam and on law and order, Wallace campaigned on much of this as well, but to a harsher extent, and also called for the rolling back of civil rights protections that had been implemented over the years by the past 4 administrations. Humphrey campaigned on a strategic peace, increased civil rights protections, and a return to new deal-ism. A return to normalcy had been what most Americans had been looking for, after what was a tumultuous decade, and most pollsters were able to easily predict the outcome of the election at the end.
You gotta love an old-fashioned "return to normalcy" campaign, even when things are clearly the furthest thing from normal.

1972 Presidential election
Hubert Humphrey had been a popular president up to this point but had drawn criticism from political opponents on both the left and right.

He drew criticism from southern democrats for signing the bipartisan Civil Rights Act of 1969 into law on July 10th of that year, which was noted for causing violent protest in the south. On July 16th, in Selma, Alabama, just 6 days after the signing of the act, Martin Luther King Jr. was giving a speech congratulating President Humphrey when all of a sudden, an armed segregationist shot King in the back, fatally wounding him, and he would die in the hospital early the next morning at the age of 40. Humphrey would later give a eulogy at King's funeral. He also drew some criticism from other right wing democrats for apparently being too soft on counterculture protests as well, most notably from California Governor Sam Yorty, who would prove to be one of Humphreys most outspoken democratic critics. Humphrey's middle-line stance on the counterculture protests angered progressives in the party too.

Despite his high approval numbers, Humphrey was challenged by 3 big name politicians in the democratic primary, Governor George Wallace of Alabama, former Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota, and most notably, Sam Yorty. However Humphrey still held the establishment backing, and through the endorsement of Bill Daley, Humphrey was able to sail through the primaries and into renomination with little issue, winning every single primary contest. However, Humphrey and Vice President Connally had rifts of their own, and the latter ultimately refused to run alongside Humphrey again. He would unsuccessfully attempt to negotiate to grab the VP nomination for the Republican party after switching his registration, but placed a close 2nd at the convention.

1972 democratic primary.png

The Republicans had been attempting to distance themselves from the flop that most historians of the time described the Goldwater presidency as being as much as they could following their landslide defeat in 1968. Despite this, the conservative faction was still a very strong percentage of the party demographic. The undoubted successor to Goldwater's conservative faction was freshman senator Evan Mecham, who had won the senate seat opposite to the one Goldwater himself held. The candidate the moderates would put up was less certain, 2 moderate faction big-wigs, Nelson Rockefeller and George Romney, ran for the nomination. This along with 3 favorite son candidates syphoning off even more of the moderate vote, the moderate vote split almost resulted in Mecham winning the nomination, but Romney and favorite son Charles Percy combined their delegates with Rockefeller's delegates, giving him a majority on the 2nd ballot.

1972 republican primaries.png

Mecham and the conservatives decried this, calling it a second corrupt bargain. 316 conservative delegates walked out of the convention and Mecham would announce a 3rd party bid under the American Independent Party. The previous nominee, John G. Schmitz would withdraw the nomination in exchange for the VP slot.

Humphrey played his reelection campaign safe, rarely making many campaign attacks against either Rockefeller or Mecham. Rockefeller played the same strategy. Mecham heavily attacked both Humphrey and Rockefeller, but ultimately attacked Rockefeller more than Humphrey, which did aid in siphoning off votes from Rockefeller.

The election was always close, as the financing juggernauts of Rockefeller and Humphrey filled the airwaves with ads. Mecham didn't have that much room to compete, but Mecham had been able to partially replicate the folksy populist draw of George Wallace's 1968 campaign, and received loads of support in the south.

Rockefeller was hoping that Mecham would work towards siphoning southern democrats off of Humphrey and cause a wide enough split to allow him to win. Mecham hoped he would be able to deadlock the election. But they turned out to both have overestimated their abilities, as the happy warrior marched on to a second term.

1972 election.png

Last edited:
A Message from the Writer:

It's been a little bit since I have made an update to this thread, and I feel it an injustice to the viewers to see a leave of absence without an explanation.

Well, for one my workload is much larger than it was when I started this, school started back up not too long ago. As school has started I've come under much more stress over not just school matters but life in general. As such I feel I need to work on self-wellness as well.

Now, onto the status of this timeline. As of this time I can say definitively that I will be putting this on an indefinite hold for quite some time. I don't know if I will be able to continue on this timeline at all in the future, so thank you for sticking around this long. I hope you have enjoyed this up to this point.

This is Hydrons, signing off.

A Message from the Writer:

It's been a little bit since I have made an update to this thread, and I feel it an injustice to the viewers to see a leave of absence without an explanation.

Well, for one my workload is much larger than it was when I started this, school started back up not too long ago. As school has started I've come under much more stress over not just school matters but life in general. As such I feel I need to work on self-wellness as well.

Now, onto the status of this timeline. As of this time I can say definitively that I will be putting this on an indefinite hold for quite some time. I don't know if I will be able to continue on this timeline at all in the future, so thank you for sticking around this long. I hope you have enjoyed this up to this point.

This is Hydrons, signing off.

I greatly enjoyed your work and I can appreciate the stresses of real life and creative life. I wish you well in your endeavors.

I did have a question though. Was Charles Percy's daughter's murder butterflied? I remember reading about this happening during his gubernatorial campaign.

As I do not have the time to make a full infobox, I will just share the electoral map for the 1976 election for now. Wikibox and full writeup will come at a later date.

1601924460085.png

Charles Percy (R-IL)-Robert Finch (R-CA) 278 electoral votes
Henry M. Jackson (D-WA)-Jimmy Carter (D-GA) 260 electoral votes