Only reason HMS Vanguard was finished was that until the Sea Venom came around ( first flight 1951 ) the FAA was not rated all weather. So till the mid 50's battleships had a limited role at least in the Atlantic when the weather closed in.
I am fairly sure that the FAA was ready for all weather in the 1930's? See Taranto, which is a night(considered a type of weath) attack.

I am fairly sure that the FAA was ready for all weather in the 1930's? See Taranto, which is a night(considered a type of weath) attack.
One nightmare scenario in the early cold war was the Soviets launching a limited offensive to take Norway under the cover of winter storms rather than a general attack across the inter-Germany border, With the NATO advantage in air power neutralised , a soviet land/sea assault might succeed before Norway could be reinforced leaving the choice of launching an expensive and risky amphibious invasion to retake Norway or trying to negotiate a withdrawal by making concessions elsewhere.

In a battle of North Cape scenario - I doubt that aircraft could have been operated from carriers in that muck

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
@SealTheRealDeal Another well written and engrossing chapter. Always like to check in when I can and read the latest offering.

Just one question about the altered SoDaks. How many in the class are planned?

Keep up the great work. :)

Sargon

Still, if there is a enviroment that A11 Matilda I would do well, I do think this is one. Extremely well protected, the high speed is not a requirement, and while there is certainly a need for HE thrower, it is at worst adequate for their needs.
Err... No. They need something more than a machine gun which is all a Matilda I has.
The venerable 2pdr is more than adequate against all widely deployed Japanese tanks outside the Home Islands. Hell even the Boys AT rifle will pop a Ha-Go and a Chi-Ha from side on.
Yep. This.
Against Japanese tanks the 2lber is fine. The worry might be if they do too well against the Japanese that they don't think anything bigger is needed in Europe.

Just one question about the altered SoDaks. How many in the class are planned?
Still four, if that's believable.

Oy vey! They still have SEN coins????
yes.

The Brits took pains over operational security and code names.
It would more likely to be called Indigo Petticoat than Ballpeen, surely.
So much care for operational security that they named an operation after the type of tanks that would partake in it?

Deleted member 94680

The Brits took pains over operational security and code names.
It would more likely to be called Indigo Petticoat than Ballpeen, surely.
So much care for operational security that they named an operation after the type of tanks that would partake in it?

I believe the British “cryptic code name” for Operations was a post-War innovation.

The MoS Rainbow Codes were end of WWII until ‘58 for instance.

People tend to have this mistaken impression that carriers just went from decent in the 30s to completely eclipsing battleships with nothing in-between.
I agree completely. Even in OTL, I would not count it until the Battle of the Coral Sea (May 1942) that the carrier 'proved' it was even potentially capable of replacing battleships as the primary arm of the navy. I've also noticed a tendency for people to unreasonably weight the Pacific War in their assessments of how carriers are 'supposed to be used', largely ignoring the very different experience carriers had in the Atlantic or Mediterranean.
Before Coral Sea carriers had only shown themselves really capable of base strikes on immobile targets at port (Force Z was sunk by land bombers and even then it took them more than two hours) or invaluable as scouting and/or air defense for the fleet, something that's been replicated in this timeline so far.
I fully expect that unless the US gets involved in the Anglo-Japanese war and recreates OTL's carrier spam to simply flood Japanese air defenses, we'll see a much broader use of battleships all the way until the war's conclusion.

Thank you all for
r90ghtm.png

One of these Alt-SoDaks vs a Yamato would be a sight, though it would be unlikely between the strain possibly keeping Japan from finishing the latter and if they are beaten by the British I doubt they'll fight the Americans next.
I was just thinking this war might end with Yamato and Musashi cancelled before completion. Yamato won't be finished until 1940 OTL, depending on how the war goes all that steel might be needed for rush construction of destroyers before the colossi are ready to be launched, much less fitted out.
If this is the case the USA would earn the distinction of having built the world's largest battleships (also assuming the Soviet Union class is likewise cancelled as OTL) and have it still fit through the Panama Canal.
Right now I'm thinking Yamato still gets built. And I don't think it'll be sunk by carriers, partially just to avoid parallelism, partially because I don't think the UK will have enough flat tops on hand to unleash a 360 plane alpha strike. Right now I'm thinking stuck in port at the end of the war or firing lined by the entire KGV class.

Ears everywhere but they relied on informants to a large degree. After July ‘44 it’s interesting to see just how many officers knew something was up, but hadn’t done anything about it.
Indeed, the Hitler magic was wearing thin by '44. With this being before the conquests of Poland, Norway, the low countries, Yugolsavia, and France, there isn't much "Hitler magic" to begin with.

Would the Japanese really press the Soviets that hard in the negotiations for a non-aggression pact? I mean they managed to defeat the Soviets in the skirmishes but at the moment it's 1939 and the Japanese have been engaged in a war with China and the British Empire from 1938 without there been any general war in Europe for them to take advantage of in having distracted (or in some cases defeated) European colonial powers. So one would think that they would actually want such a pact almost as much as the Soviets (in essence just having the Soviet and Japanese positions switched from OTL) so they can focus of China and the British Empire and deal with the Soviets later.
The foreign minister needs to gain something pretty tantalizing if they don't want a junior army officer showing up at their house in the middle of the night. Plus, Polish-Japanese intelligence sharing means they have a pretty clear idea of how bad the situation is for the Soviets. Meanwhile the Soviets have yet to unburn their bridges with France,* and accordingly don't have a very clear picture of how hard the British are pressing the Japanese.

*I was going to include a section on Soviet diplomatic overtures to France, but I decided that'd probably be best saved for the global overview I plan of doing when the war reaches the 1 year mark.

The idea of the Soviets supplying the Japanese as part of the pact makes eminent sense in the context the Japanese find themselves in here since it means that they get supplies to help prosecute the wars against China and the British Empire.
Indeed, and it's no coincidence that the amount offered at discount each month slightly exceeds the IJN's monthly oil consumption.

That prohibition on international business is probably not the best possible move Thailand can make. I wonder if they can pull off a Spanish Miracle later.
Yes, to say nothing of the matter of wanting people to adopt western things while prohibiting the importation of western things...

Interesting post about the Lwow maneuvers. Though one potential complicating factor is the ongoing low-level insurrection of Ukrainians against Poles in that area, and the ongoing Polish effort to forcibly assimilate/displace the Ukrainians. Probably something that won't bother Poland's allies overmuch, but still potentially embarrassing.
That is an interesting point I hadn't considered.

for all the use battleships will be they might as well be the worlds largest Submarine, a super Surcouf., only less buoyant.....
Eh, they'll still get at least a decade's use out of them. Not great, but not the worst.

People tend to have this mistaken impression that carriers just went from decent in the 30s to completely eclipsing battleships with nothing in-between.

It wasn't really until the 50s that Battleships were completely eclipsed by carriers. The Pacific war showed what was to come which is why ship design moved away from them before they became completely worthless. You don't build your navy for now, you build it for 10 years from now.
Only reason HMS Vanguard was finished was that until the Sea Venom came around ( first flight 1951 ) the FAA was not rated all weather. So till the mid 50's battleships had a limited role at least in the Atlantic when the weather closed in.
Carriers will come to the fore roughly on schedule. But as in OTL battleships will remain important for shore bombardment, AAA platforms, and as crucial backstops should carriers fail to stop anything.

It's worth noting that only the Germans and Japanese immediately gave up their battleships after WWII. The Italians, Soviets, Turks, British, French, Americans, Chileans, Brazilians, and Argentinians (and Swedes if you feel like counting the Sveriges) all kept their BBs into the 50s.

Last edited:
Right now I'm thinking stuck in port at the end of the war
This is my pick if just for the amusement, the world's largest warship of the pre-nuclear era stuck in port because Japan can't afford to put it to sea, only to be broken up for scrap post-war without firing a shot in anger. Whole documentaries could be written about if Yamato truly lives up to the title 'most useless warship'.
if they don't want a junior army officer showing up at their house in the middle of the night
You forgot "with a loaded pistol" at the end there.
Seriously, Japanese politics in the 30s were... interesting. 'Government by assassination' was how it's been described to me from multiple sources, and I've yet to find a better descriptor.
I've heard of Warhammer 40 000 Imperial Commissars less trigger-happy than some of the hyper-nationalist groups in Japan before the war.

Just wondering but has the WinterWar been butterflied away because of the Anglo Japanese War?
OTL's Winter War was a byproduct of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Germany right now is looking to invade the USSR in 1940, so a non-aggression pact, let alone agreement that the Soviets are free to do as they please with Finland, is off the table.

Things may yet go off the rails, but at this time there aren't the ingredients for the Winter War.

OTL's Winter War was a byproduct of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Germany right now is looking to invade the USSR in 1940, so a non-aggression pact, let alone agreement that the Soviets are free to do as they please with Finland, is off the table.

Things may yet go off the rails, but at this time there aren't the ingredients for the Winter War.
But wouldn't that mean the Red Army hasn't gotten the restructuring it desperately need for combat the Axis in OTL?

Still four, if that's believable.

yes.

Brit security improved as the war advanced. In part thanks to Churchill, tho he also was a security risk in his daily habits. He did not like the selection of innocuous names for operations, thinking aggressive and descriptive names would be inspirational. And he had to be kept away from telephones as invariably in conversation he'd let slip sensitive items. Conversely he backed up those seeking to plug the holes in Brit security, and forced the issue is some ways. 1942 seems to be the turning point in Brit security changing from merely good to superlative.

But wouldn't that mean the Red Army hasn't gotten the restructuring it desperately need for combat the Axis in OTL?
Indeed, the USSR is in for a very rough go if things keep going the way they are.

The defeat at Nomonhan is potentially cause for reform, but there's a near equal chance that the local commanders will be scapegoated. Mr. Shtern in particular, as the Commander of the Far Eastern Front who has now over seen two failures in border conflicts with Japan, is liable to be denounced and sacked if not rounded up in a purge. o_O

Indeed, the USSR is in for a very rough go if things keep going the way they are.

The defeat at Nomonhan is potentially cause for reform, but there's a near equal chance that the local commanders will be scapegoated. Mr. Shtern in particular, as the Commander of the Far Eastern Front who has now over seen two failures in border conflicts with Japan, is liable to be denounced and sacked if not rounded up in a purge. o_O
Exactly what I was thinking. So it's safe to say the Eastern Front an even BIGGER meat grinder than OTL.