Italy, a Destiny Fulfilled

Italy, notorious for its bad moves and let downs, economic condition and drastic North South divide. What if one could go back and rewrite them into triumphs?

Ok people, my second real TL. Thanks very much for your help on various threads I've set up in order to write this. Special thanks to everyone who commented on the threads and helped to write this (too many people to thank, so if you know you did, shout out on the wall).

So, back to business. This TL is going to be as realistic an Italy wank as I can make it. The PoD is the birth of Francesco di Castagna. Thats it. The rest is filled with the above info, Italy faring better in events that arent butterflied away (mostly the Austro-Prussian and Franco-Prussian war. The rest will be quite different I think). Anyways, I need lots of comments, ideas, props, critiques, and suggestions on how to continue. So, enjoy the read!

Italy, a Destiny Fulfilled

Francesco di Castagna: Born 1822 in Rende, Calabria. Di Castagna attended the Turin Military academy at the age of 12. He made his fortune from his company: Prima acciaio e ferro (Prima Steel and Iron).A huge philanthropist in the South of Italy, he became a good friend of Garibaldi as a lead supporter of Unification in the South and, a friend of Camillo Benso, first Prime minister of Italy. di Castagna was appointed minister of the interior by Cavour in 1860

1862: di Castagna meets with Prime Minister Bettino Ricasoli to insist on himself going to meet with Albrecht von Roon and Otto von Bismarck to ask them for their support in restructuring Italy’s military. Ricasoli, a supporter of military reform and a closer relation with Prussia, agrees.

di Castagna meets with Bismarck, Roon and Helmuth von Moltke. The 3 Prussians are intrigued with the Italian. The meeting goes extraordinary even though the understanding of each others language is minimal. The Prussians are impressed with di Castagna’s political hook ups and aggressive political beliefs, especially of which he and Bismarck agree in many respects. The subject of Austria also comes up and di Castagna’s beliefs also seem to match the three Prussian leaders’ beliefs on the issue. The 3 agree to di Castagna’s appeal to a Prussian restructuring of the new Italian army. They mutually feel that Italy can play a part in any future Prussian war as a close ally. They also realise, however, that Italy has much work to do before their military can be truly fit for a war.

di Castagna returns to Italy with news and plans of a military restructuring, drawn up by the “big three”, the term he uses to describe the Prussians. The Italian military will immediately put forth plans that will have it imitate the newly reformed Prussian army (ex. every Italian man is now liable for conscription, term of active service to 3 years, during which troops are to continually be trained and drilled, etc…).

Bettino Ricasoli dies March 3rd

March 12th, di Castagna becomes Prime Minister of Italy. His first item of business, pass his "Legge di riforma delle forze armate" (the soldier’s reform bill).

March 31st, the soldier’s reform bill is passed and reform is to begin immediately.

April 9th, di Castagna invites Otto von Bismarck, Albrecht von Roon, and Helmuth von Moltke over to Italy. di Castagna sees Prussia as a major player and believes that the future Prussia will only be stronger. He believes that closer Italo-Prussian relations are the key to a powerful alliance between the two countries and mostly, the closer he can have Italy resemble Prussia.

April 20th, di Castagna holds a meeting with many small-large business owners in Torino. He is making them a proposal: move your business to/ open up new business in the South. He guarantees slashed rates, and better business conditions to those who do. He also guarantees that with the army being retrained, many southerners have already joined the army (as pay in the army was mostly more then they were making as farmers anyway) and mostly, that businesses opened in the south will have protection from organized crime, due to such a new army. The latter promise is not taken into belief by most business owners in the meeting though they do believe this will deter the mafia. Di Castagna tells the men that this meeting will reconvene on the 20th of May (one month’s time). Those who attend the next meeting are only to be those businesses interested in the proposal and ready to be involved in this southern business push.

May 20th, promises of reduced taxes, better business conditions, and a military presence to deter the mafia have brought most of the initially invited business owners back to Torino. di Castagna congratulates them and gives them the whole criteria on what they are to do. Businesses are allowed to move to whatever cities they want in the Mezzogiorno (Italy’s south), as long as they submit the city name to di Castagna so he can fulfill his benefits to the establishment. To stop sporadic business, however, di Castagna authorises Reggio Calabria, Taranto, and Salerno, as the main business hubs of the south. The idea is greatly appreciated by the owners who liked having a specified destination to choose. At the end of the week’s meetings, the economic future of the south seemed very different then it did the week before. Reggio Calabria drew businesses mainly in shipping, and production. Taranto drew business mainly in shipping as well, while Salerno drew business in textile, and agriculture.

June 6th, di Castagna, in an attempt to reinvigorate the south proposes a south-wide irrigation system. This however, is deemed much too expensive to finance. The program is scaled down. di Castagna focuses the program to the Province of Basilicata, knowing that the promise of wheat and other agricultural benefits from the province can benefit both his new industrial cities of Taranto and Reggio.

June 12th, the Italian Parliament gives di Castagna the third degree about spending. He counters this with a plan for mass Italian foreign investment. His plan appeals to the assembly and he gets the green light.

[Notes] Luigi Carlo Farini dies in 1860 from bad health.

Last edited:
March 12th, di Castagna becomes Prime Minister of Italy. His first item of business, pass his “Fattura di riforma dei Soldati” (the soldier’s reform bill).

Hem...

"Legge di riforma delle forze armate" will be a better translation since "fattura" in italian is the sort of bill that is fiscally acconted and eventually discarged from taxes realised, say, by a restaurant you enjoied during a business trip.
In the italian political tradition a law is almost never named after the taxation introduced to finance it.

just my 0.02 €

Hem...

"Legge di riforma delle forze armate" will be a better translation since "fattura" in italian is the sort of bill that is fiscally acconted and eventually discarged from taxes realised, say, by a restaurant you enjoied during a business trip.
In the italian political tradition a law is almost never named after the taxation introduced to finance it.

just my 0.02 €

Grazie, I will go back and fix it. So, did you like the TL at least:p

So far so great! this is my first read on AH.com and i must say, I`m glad! Clearly Italy is going to align (already did) with Prussia. So wank you say? What lands is Italy going to get? When is a new part going to be up?

And also, Im new, any other stories you recommend?

Paolo:)

So far so great! this is my first read on AH.com and i must say, I`m glad! Clearly Italy is going to align (already did) with Prussia. So wank you say? What lands is Italy going to get? When is a new part going to be up?

And also, Im new, any other stories you recommend?

Paolo:)

Thank you very much:D Yes, Italy will be forging a strong relationship with Prussia. Yes wank (basically Italy running show, but realistically). Umm, land? well, I dont want to make any promises but im thinking Nice, getting savoy back, Tunisia, Tyrol, maybe going east (herr Frage and Imperial Vienna may kill me if i do take any of the latter 2:p).

TLs I recommend? Well you like Italy? If so, Just one stroke of a pen can change history by Jimbrock is a great one. Umm, I dont know, the above mentioned authors are great reads too. I dont know, go to Views on the discussion board and the top viewed are really good. OH WAIT!! Venice, Dawn of a New Power! great TL if i do say so myself:p

Thank you very much:D Yes, Italy will be forging a strong relationship with Prussia. Yes wank (basically Italy running show, but realistically). Umm, land? well, I dont want to make any promises but im thinking Nice, getting savoy back, Tunisia, Tyrol, maybe going east (herr Frage and Imperial Vienna may kill me if i do take any of the latter 2:p).

TLs I recommend? Well you like Italy? If so, Just one stroke of a pen can change history by Jimbrock is a great one. Umm, I dont know, the above mentioned authors are great reads too. I dont know, go to Views on the discussion board and the top viewed are really good. OH WAIT!! Venice, Dawn of a New Power! great TL if i do say so myself:p

Hmm, I see, sounds good, can't wait! Ok, I'll check those out, thank you!

Bump:)

I'm not really sure but while di Castagna is on the subject of military reform, what about a better navy? Jimbrock's TL made me think if Italy is going to start fighting many countries, Britain may step in. If Italy has a good navy, it may act as a deterrent!

hmm, thats a good Idea. Im sure that can work, as the Regina Marina was born in 1861 with unification and by the time the Austro-Prussian war came along, they were superior in size and weaponry to the Austrians (just not lead well).

hmm, thats a good Idea. Im sure that can work, as the Regina Marina was born in 1861 with unification and by the time the Austro-Prussian war came along, they were superior in size and weaponry to the Austrians (just not lead well).

Yes, and have di Castagna command the force instead of the king of Italy.

The Sandman

Banned

What, no Corsica? Or the Italian-speaking bits of Switzerland? Or Malta?

Also, how about an Italo-Ottoman alliance against the Austrians in Europe and the French in Africa? Which in turn might lead to Italian help in the Russo-Turkish War, which could lead to the Ottomans keeping both Bulgarian industry and the Ottoman army.

Eventually go with the dismantling of Austria-Hungary; the Italians get the Trentino but leave Tyrol to the Germans; instead, the Italians pick up Dalmatia, Istria and points inland (the western half of Slovenia and a decent chunk of Croatia) while the Germans get the Grossdeutsch unification plus Bohemia-Moravia and the Hungarians get the rest. The Ottomans get to keep Bosnia and are given free rein to smack the Serbians and Wallachians down again.

Corsica?.........

Corsica?.........

Yes, definitely Corsica, but I dont want to put my hole plan down because wheres the fun in that, at least now your all kept guessing

What, no Corsica? Or the Italian-speaking bits of Switzerland? Or Malta?

Also, how about an Italo-Ottoman alliance against the Austrians in Europe and the French in Africa? Which in turn might lead to Italian help in the Russo-Turkish War, which could lead to the Ottomans keeping both Bulgarian industry and the Ottoman army.

Eventually go with the dismantling of Austria-Hungary; the Italians get the Trentino but leave Tyrol to the Germans; instead, the Italians pick up Dalmatia, Istria and points inland (the western half of Slovenia and a decent chunk of Croatia) while the Germans get the Grossdeutsch unification plus Bohemia-Moravia and the Hungarians get the rest. The Ottomans get to keep Bosnia and are given free rein to smack the Serbians and Wallachians down again.

Haha, please stick around! Those are all things that will happen (or at least things along the lines of them). See, this is the kind of thinking power and posts I admire!:D Very good

*modest blush* Ah, thanks Franco for all the recommendations. I must say, some of these ideas are in my TL aswell, but enough trumpeting about me.:)
How regular are updates going to be?

*modest blush* Ah, thanks Franco for all the recommendations. I must say, some of these ideas are in my TL aswell, but enough trumpeting about me.:)
How regular are updates going to be?

Hey no prob on the recomendations, I know you'd do the same for me!

Well, I figure that in this TL I'm more at will to let my business side show so all the ideas are business influenced (how else is Italy to succeed) :). Umm, Well to tell the truth, I feel more in place with this TL as opposed to Venice so updates will be quite regular. The Italy wank is what I truly wanted since day 1 on Ah.com so This will be good and regularly updated. Next part should be up in a few days- a week, tops. So, Jim, how bout that map?

Last edited:
the Italian Parliament gives di Castagna the third degree about spending. He counters this with a plan for mass Italian foreign investment. His plan appeals to the assembly and he gets the green light.
You are spending too much. Most of the your projects are hideously expensive. And Italy wasn't a rich nation at all.
As for the foreign investments, who exactly is going to invest so much in Italy? There aren't large amount of natural resources to exploit.
Besides a protectionist policy could help the fledging italian industry. On the other hand you have also a large public debt to adress... not an easy choice...

Last edited: