I'm wondering about the ramifications for World War I and beyond where the Ottoman Empire still lost The Italo-Turkish War between 1911-1912 and lost their territory in Libya but still managed to retain their holdings in the Dodecanese Islands. What are the effects of this on the Balkan War, World War I and the Greco-Turkish War? Do the Italians attempt to seize them at some point or Greece, another power? Can this territory be incorporated into Turkey once the Sultan falls? Would love to hear a number of theories and opinions on this issue. Thanks in advance for those who respond.

The Greek navy liberates the islands along with the rest of the Aegean in the 1st Balkan war. The islands remain Greek thereafter.

As written above: Greece captures them in the 1st Balkan War, like the rest of the Aegean Islands. Maybe this means that since the GRN is engaged there for a while, the Ottoman Fleet has the chance to exit the Dardanelles, but IMHO that will not have many consequences to the overall war.
What is more interesting is what changes occur to the Greek Asia Minor campaign and WWII because of Greece holding the Dodecanese.

Only if the Ottoman stopped their support to the Senussi rebels
No. The Treaty of Ouchy Article 3, Clause 8 stipulated that the Dedocanese would be returned to the Ottoman Empire on January 31, 1917 regardless of anything else, with the Italian government recognizing the islands as Ottoman (but under Italian jurisdiction) until 1915. Though of course, ww1 kind of threw that swapping part of the treaty out of the window. Also, the Ottomans had dropped their support of the Senussi before ww1.

No. The Treaty of Ouchy Article 3, Clause 8 stipulated that the Dedocanese would be returned to the Ottoman Empire on January 31, 1917 regardless of anything else, with the Italian government recognizing the islands as Ottoman (but under Italian jurisdiction) until 1915. Though of course, ww1 kind of threw that swapping part of the treaty out of the window. Also, the Ottomans had dropped their support of the Senussi before ww1.

Naaa they had never stopped to send them weapons and other aid and for Italy that was enough to be considered a violation of the art.2 regarding the withdraws of troops from the territory

Naaa they had never stopped to send them weapons and other aid and for Italy that was enough to be considered a violation of the art.2 regarding the withdraws of troops from the territory
Per Italian sources themselves, in Inventario dell'Archivio Storico del Ministero Africa Italiana: Libia (1859–1945) the Ottomans had stopped selling illegal weapons to the Senussi. Only normal transactions - which were allowed by Article 4 - not 2: Article 2 talks about the Düyun-u Umumiye - were being conducted.

I actually think both lukedalton and Sarthaka are correct. From what I understand although the Italian Government was aware the Ottoman's had stopped supporting Senussi Rebels they still used it as a pretext for holding onto the Dodecanese Islands. In reality it was a way of justifying the cost of the Italo-Turkish war. There was also the question of unofficial or backhanded support with things like medical supplies and anonymous donations of weapons from private citizens of the Ottoman Empire, and rogue elements assisting in intelligence work but this happens pretty often with revolutionary movements and doesn't usually violate a treaty's laws but often violates the spirit of the treaty. Once World War I started the Italians weren't willing to leave the Islands to the hands of an enemy army and decided to stay.

Could make a few small changes in the Greco-Turkish War as well maybe more naval engagement or even the use of airplanes to help island hopping soldiers. Or a staging area for the Greek Invasion. Mussolini will certainly try and grab them back in his push against the Greeks. The Axis may even use them as a bargaining chip to try and get Turkey to join during World War II.

Last edited:
Agree with everybody else that Greece most likely seizes them. If they retain it because the Ottoman Navy can actually hold up, now that has large butterflies (for both the Balkan War, and quite possibly WW1 if it happens as alt-Gallipoli doesn't seem as possible).