Israel in Uganda – impact on U.S.A. race relations?

Incognito

Banned
Let’s say the British Uganda Programme succeeds in creating a Jewish homeland in Africa in early 20th century. Butterfly net ensures WW1, the events of 1920s and 1930s still occur more or less like OTL. With rising anti-Jewish sentiments and legislature in place in Germany many Jews flee to “Ugandan Israel”. Post WW2 the United Nations officially designates the settlement as a Jewish nation-state and Jews are encouraged to move there. As time goes by & more people arrive the settlement expands at the expense of local African populations, leading to frictions, wars and “Ugandan Israel” being seen as the last bastion of European colonialism by the surrounding African nations.

So basically the Arab/Palestinian-Israeli conflict but with black Africans instead of Arab/Palestinians.

So here is the question: OTL, Arab population in USA is not big enough to counter the “Jewish lobby” but in ATL the pro-Israeli interests would run counter to those of American black nationalists. So how would an African Israel impact U.S.A. politics? U.S.A. race relations? U.S.A. civil rights movement? How would U.S.A. blacks view Jews?

It would be very tricky indeed, as the African-Americans would have a larger population base in the US from which they could voice their concerns about an Ugandan Israel. I don't know what this would have an effect on say, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King with this issue, and probably the Nation of Islam may end up experiencing an increase in recruitment.

Pangur

Donor
Most likely no real impact until the late 60`s when the tension between the US supporting Israel and the rise of black consciousness would force the US to tone it down a bit. There is a huge however to this which is that I don't see how a Uganda-Israel would have had the same level of support as Israel in the OTL

I don't really see how Israel has nearly as bad relations with the local populace as the South Africans do.

In terms of US race relations, I fail to see how propping up one of two bastions of civilization there is really bad, especially since they'll likely be a democracy versus dictatorships and corrupt republics.

Pangur

Donor
You don't suppose that the locals, you know the ones that lived there long before the white man arrived might be just a little bit upset that a particular subset of whites get to take their land and then when other African nations get their freedom these same group stay?

Abhakhazia

Banned
With USA being much more Black than Jewish, I can see the USA on the anti-Israel lobby. Especially if they do similar things as OTL.

Well, if the people in Uganda are viewed as, or actually are Christians, I would imagine they would get more sympathy.

Mmm, good point. I forgot about that.

Still, if they are still surrounded and vastly outnumbered by nations kind of/sort of allied with the godless Soviet Union and/or are ruled by godless commies...

I still thing the general dynamic would be the same.

Now another question would be in the African states would play their hand as badly as the Arabs.

Simple things like less focus on terrorism could have significant impact on US opinion.

Pangur

Donor
They would still be seen as fellow Judeo-Christians, surrounded by non-Judeo-Christians bent on their destruction.

That for me is an odd remark as the most sincere devote Christian that I have ever met just so happened to be a Ugandan woman. From what I have read Christianity is quite strong in particularly that part of Africa

If you look at the history of US-Israel relations, they are decidedly determined by geo-politics. It is really only after the 67 war that America becomes ardently pro-israeli. At that point it had become clear where the loyalty of the arab regimes lay and it was also clear that the presence of israel was like that of an unsinkable aircraft carrier.

If there was a zionist Uganda, I would say that it would only become important to the US when Africa becomes a geo-political hotspot.

In all honesty, I feel that the attitude to the US towards Israel-in-Uganda would mirror their attitude towards apartheid South Africa. General support tempered by occasional rhetoric about human rights.

As to black nationalism, why on earth would an american regime care about that? They wouldnt listen on South Africa.

The US would not be supportive of this version of Israel any more than OTL US was supportive of Apartheid South Africa, basically only being an ally because they aren't Soviet allies. The reason the US still supports Israel when the rest of the world has turned their back on that state is because Christian lobbyists demand it so that Israel survives and the world can end. This Israel is not in the Holy Land, and violates Christian mythology.

If you look at the history of US-Israel relations, they are decidedly determined by geo-politics. It is really only after the 67 war that America becomes ardently pro-israeli. At that point it had become clear where the loyalty of the arab regimes lay and it was also clear that the presence of israel was like that of an unsinkable aircraft carrier.

Has the US ever used Israeli as a launching point for air strikes?
Directly or indirectly?