Is Otto Skorzeny's reputation deserved?

Hello everybody.

I have been reading about the intelligence\spy exploits of the SS Officer Otto Skorzeny. His vulpine work during, and after the Second World War.

Watching a few YouTube interviews with the man, and a few YouTube documentaries. I was wondering if the man's reputation as a cloak and dagger, maven; is a well-deserved reputation?

Does he deserve to be remembered as a very adroit, military\spy maven; often capable of pulling off\executing difficult tasks?

I understand the man was a "self-promoter" of sorts, as it relates to his own spy\cloak and dagger reputation. Possibly overly bragging in these news interviews\articles?

Completely ignoring his nefarious involvement in the Hungarian Jewish deportation(s), in late 1944 - early 1945. A violation of Hungary's sovereignty, that would allow a longer occupation, and deportation of her sizable Jewish population. Conveniently myopic in these news articles, perhaps? Glossing over his own involvement, in allowing his regime for which he served, to allow more harm to be committed before the end.

In terms of impressive finesse, if I understand correctly:

He was educated as a mechanical engineer. A deft Fencer.

He was fluent in French and English. Evidence of a possible impressive intelligence? While living in Spain; would it be safe to assume, that he also became fluent in Spanish?

He became involved post-war; with multiple spy agencies, that wanted to exploit his cunning abilities. A proverbial pawn on a global\cunning chessboard of sorts? The exact exploits of which, even to this day, there is exact minutiae still unknown?

I understand he was also physically impressive. Possible evidence of the Halo Effect.? His 6'4 frame, and also spooky scar. Having a mortifying\bewitching quality, on those who interviewed, and or met him. Friends and foes alike.

My ultimate question: in a nutshell, does the man's vulpine legend deserve its impressive reputation? Or was most of this, merely his own braggadocio. A proverbial emperor without his clothes on?

The tales and legends, plus his physical appearance, lends itself very well to being the archetypal swashbuckling gentleman-spy, but I definitely do think his reputation was deserved. Especially his successful transition in the post-war period into the international public-private anti-communist networks. I’ll have to edit this post with the list of his activities post ‘45 if I can find by copy of The Darkest Side of Politics, but he accomplished quite a lot.

He got the scar on his cheek the same way the other Austrians and Prussians did. Went to university, wore a mask that get the throat and eyes protected but not the cheeks, and then made sure it didn’t heel, as a status symbol and a symbol of masculinity or such. Many of them rubbed dirt in the wounds to make the scar noticeable. Without it he gets less of an air of ruggedness and adventure.

With the things he did or planned they very rarely did not succeed. Even when they were behind and not performing as good as they were expected, example was in the Bulge, his part usually worked well. Look at the rescue of Mussolini from Gran Sasso, if there was ever a operation that just had one thing go wrong it all failed, this was it.