Is it possible for German Pacific Colonies during WW1 to survive past 1915?

I am currently writing an Alt History scenario. I wanted to know how long the German Pacific could last realistically, specifically past 1915. What changes would have to be made to OTL to cause this for this to realistically occur?

Attachments

• German Flag ww1.png
    German Flag ww1.png
    4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Not if New Zealand is involved.

Yeah but how long could their colonies last assuming Japanese and Commonwealth involvement is the same as OTL. What changes could happen to influence the outcome of the Pacific Theater? Like for example, what are possible tactics they could've used to possibly stop the Japanese advance?

Japan with the Central powers probably wouldn't affect New Zealand's takeover of Samoa and the Australian activities but would likely retain the more northerly territories.

NZ and Australia will probably need to put in more effort to protect these and their original territories from interference. This could well reduce or eliminate Anzac involvement in Gallipoli and the Middle East, resulting in some interesting changes in the future relationship between Britain and the Dominions [1].

Interestingly, the German fleet's reliance on Japanese facilities might compromise their independence, even if never directly coming under Japanese control.

[1] No resentment at Gallipoli could change attitudes to British command over ANZAC troops in WW2.

kham_coc

Banned
[1] No resentment at Gallipoli could change attitudes to British command over ANZAC troops in WW2.

Would there be a ww2 in this scenario?
I can't see how the CP can lose in this set of circumstances - the balance of power at sea being immeasurably changed, and the UK being significantly distracted by Japan (Anzac as mentioned before).
Although the biggest change I think is that Japan would be able to mount a close blockade of the Russian far east.

Still Japan in the CP is one of my favourite WIs

Would there be a ww2 in this scenario?
I can't see how the CP can lose in this set of circumstances - the balance of power at sea being immeasurably changed, and the UK being significantly distracted by Japan (Anzac as mentioned before).
Although the biggest change I think is that Japan would be able to mount a close blockade of the Russian far east.

Still Japan in the CP is one of my favourite WIs
It does sound interesting. Are there any good timelines on it?

Yeah but how long could their colonies last assuming Japanese and Commonwealth involvement is the same as OTL. What changes could happen to influence the outcome of the Pacific Theater? Like for example, what are possible tactics they could've used to possibly stop the Japanese advance?
Basically invest into extensively ridiculous over the top siege mentality war-planning and storage of food and materials for fighting, repairing things, creating potable water, etcetera.

Which is easily prevented by people in the Reichstag bitching about the costs of doing so because, honestly, they aren't worth it unless the Kaiser is obsessed with them and doesn't care and can directly control the states finances.

What changes would have to be made to OTL to cause this for this to realistically occur?
There would be a need for many changes. I think most of these colonies had together a couple of a hundred soldiers. Qingdao was by far the most developed of the colonial holdings in this region. For these colonies to stand a chance they need to be built up at least into a similar level.

Best idea is, from the top of my head, that gold is found in Papua New Guinea. There are two great options for that, one more easily exploitable than the other. A gold rush would bring a great influx of people and naturally lead to the development of the region. Also give an easy-to-understand reason for Germany to invest for into this region.

For the colonies to put up a fight you need either a fleet presence, which is enough of a threat to make landings problematic or completely impossible or be that entrenched that a siege would be necessary.

On Japan, if it turns against Imperial Germany, there would be far bigger issues than just the dominions. An outright joining on the side of the Central Powers would demand quite the shift, but a neutral stance could be easier to bring into being.

One possibility is something similar occurs to the 1913 OTL visit of two battleships to German colonies, two new German battleships are visiting the colonies in the Pacific on a show the flag visit are in Rabaul in the beginning of August 1914, with some support ships. The German east Asia also remains in the Pacific instad of fleeing torward South Americ as in OTL.

The British and the Commonwealth don't feel confident to invade with the strong German naval force now there, and don't want to remove 4 Dreadnoughts from North Sea station to have an overwhelming superiority.

The Japanese have the naval power to take on the German ships of course but the British don't want to invite them to help as New Britain and New Guinea are proposed gains for the commonwealth.

So a temporary stalemate ensues.

One possibility is something similar occurs to the 1913 OTL visit of two battleships to German colonies, two new German battleships are visiting the colonies in the Pacific on a show the flag visit are in Rabaul in the beginning of August 1914, with some support ships. The German east Asia also remains in the Pacific instad of fleeing torward South Americ as in OTL.

The British and the Commonwealth don't feel confident to invade with the strong German naval force now there, and don't want to remove 4 Dreadnoughts from North Sea station to have an overwhelming superiority.

The Japanese have the naval power to take on the German ships of course but the British don't want to invite them to help as New Britain and New Guinea are proposed gains for the commonwealth.

This would make a huge good one shot or story if someone can write it

This is genuinely a good idea. Is it okay for me to use this in my ATL with credit?

There was a plan at one point to replace Scharnhorst and Gneisenau with Moltke, based out of Tsingtao. Depending on the timing of the exchange, all ships could still be there at the start of the war.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Japan with the Central powers probably wouldn't affect New Zealand's takeover of Samoa and the Australian activities but would likely retain the more northerly territories.
Agree with you on the likely result for New Zealand and Western Samoa because of sheer distance, but not for Australian activities. The Australian were speedy off the mark but joint German Japanese contestation in the Bismarcks or even a reclamation attempt there could work. Same for Nauru.

Agree with you on the likely result for New Zealand and Western Samoa because of sheer distance, but not for Australian activities. The Australian were speedy off the mark but joint German Japanese contestation in the Bismarcks or even a reclamation attempt there could work. Same for Nauru.
Logistics should favour Australia in New Guinea if it gets contested, although it's really tough terrain so a stalemate with a resolution post 1918 would be plausible. Abit might depend on how the locals take to the incoming forces. They might have a big effect on logistics if they took a dislike to peoplemessing around in their territory..
Nauru is probably first come first served because of its remoteness.