Is Harry Turtledove's TL-191 worth it?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Eonex, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

Regno di Longobardia, Margraviato di Toscana.
    The fact that Hapsburgs put one of them on Mexican throne means nothing.
    Romania had an Hoenzollern king, but sided with Entet.

2. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

That's two major industrial powers plus Mother Russia on Germany's flank as a bulwark versus two under-developed messes and France where everything important is within easy striking range of Germany.

Even if the UK joins the Franco-Austrian-Confederate entente, I think the balance is slightly in the *Central Powers' favor.

3. Nathan Bernacki Well-Known Member

Just to add onto that, I think the Population Reduction also played a part in the US's decision to erase the Confederate States from the map. If the Confederate States were willing to exterminate their own people, then what else could they have been capable of, had they retained their independence?

4. Dave Howery laughs at your pain

not quite seeing this one... how does a France/AH alliance threaten Canada?

5. m0585 Well-Known Member

It's a decent series that got me involved with alternate history. Still, it does have several flaws that have already been pointed out. Give it a read, but definitely be prepared for some head scratching moments.

Filo and Odinson like this.
  6. Mr_ Bondoc Member

If anything it is a very dark conversation on race, which as a person of color, that points out the ASB nature of the suggestion that "Robert E. Lee and the Confederacy would eventually free the slaves, and that there will be peaceful reunification by World War I", but assumes that the price in technological development wouldn't be paid by the CSA...

7. MountainDew17 The Well-Known Member

Yes, it is well worth it. While it does have it's clichés and faults, I have yet to read a novel these days that doesn't. The direction in which the story progresses is actually quite original, even though it would seem obvious in hindsight. Well worth the read.

Eonex and Nathan Bernacki like this.