Is District 9 AH?

From what I gather from the video footage it's dated as being in the 80's and that District 9 takes place now. Correct me if I'm wrong, and if someone has already started an thread along these lines send me in the right direction.

Sigh. District 9 is Science Fiction. I think debating AH status will go on forever. 2001 is not, was not, and never will be AH. Just because it's outdated does not make it AH because it happened in a year that passed. The book was written in 1968: when people actually believed we would be exploring Jupiter and such. It's nothing more than Science Fiction. 1984 is not AH either, written in the 40's. C'mon people!

Sigh. District 9 is Science Fiction. I think debating AH status will go on forever. 2001 is not, was not, and never will be AH. Just because it's outdated does not make it AH because it happened in a year that passed. The book was written in 1968: when people actually believed we would be exploring Jupiter and such. It's nothing more than Science Fiction. 1984 is not AH either, written in the 40's. C'mon people!

*applause*

Preach it brother.

Preach it brother.

*applause*

Does the phrase 'get a life' mean anything to any of you? :p

District in is alternate history. The film was created and released around 2008-2009, and the only know POD is 1982.

Like BlackWave said, it's AltHist indeed, although it's just not the focus.

District 9 is ASB, but strangely realistic ASB....
Technically, it is. But as the AH isn't the focus, it isn't really in that 'genre'.

As I said, the debate on District 9 will continue, but 2001 is not, will not be, and never was Alternate History. I threw in 1984 while I was at it because there must be thirteen different threads on this board trying to discuss the AH-ness of 1984. And anyone who tries to start a 1984-based AH, it always turns into a debate about if it's AH or not. Simply no. It defies any definition of AH, as does 2001.

District 9, as has been stated, was written in the 21st Century with a POD in 1982, so call it SF, call it AH, but leave 1984/2001 out of it and never mention it again.

Does the phrase 'get a life' mean anything to any of you? :p

Sadly no. I live in a town of 4,000 people with no real means of transportation and have to walk 20 minutes in either direction to reach anywhere remotely interesting. Not to mention I'm incapable of getting a job and I either hate or am hated by most of the people on this campus. 95% are New Jerseyites, I'm only friends with the out-of-staters... basically, this college prevents me from having a life.

I suppose you could debate that every movie that has been produced is an alternate history where (at the very least) said actors involved in the production did not exist.

This is really quite interesting to think about. TV Tropes explores the issue here.

Ok, here is my definition if a written work is Alternate history
. the PoD is BEFORE the actual work is written

This definition excludes several works as Alternate History
Red Dawn is not alternate History. The movie takes place in 1985, it was released in 1984. This means that Red Dawn would qualify as Future History. Despite it now being 2009, that does not change Red Dawn into Alternate History. Wether something is Alternate History, in my opinion(and wikipedia's) is dependant upon when it is written.

Seven Days to the Rhine would not be Alternate History. As we all know, it was a hypothetical plan that would take place in the future. It would technically be Future history.

District 9 is alternate history.