Is a Bourbon Russia even possible?

I am writing in my current timeline that the Bourbons inherit England and were stripped of their French titles, can the Bourbons inherit the Russian throne via and the new Royal House is called Bourbon-Romanov..

I know a Bourbon was elected King of Poland at least once, so if something like that coincided with the Russian Time of Troubles, you could see the Bourbon or a descendant of his claim the throne of Russia. OTL, the Poles occupied Moscow in 1618, so something like this isn't too far out. Maybe a marriage to shore up his local powerbase leads to a Romanov match.

To get this far, the new branch of the Bourbons would certainly be Orthodox, and would bear little resemblance to their cousins in France.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I know a Bourbon was elected King of Poland at least once, so if something like that coincided with the Russian Time of Troubles, you could see the Bourbon or a descendant of his claim the throne of Russia. OTL, the Poles occupied Moscow in 1618, so something like this isn't too far out. Maybe a marriage to shore up his local powerbase leads to a Romanov match.

To get this far, the new branch of the Bourbons would certainly be Orthodox, and would bear little resemblance to their cousins in France.

IIRC that would coincide quite well timewise. I think the chap in question rushed home from Poland to take up the French crown on the death of his brother...Ah, but that would make him a Valois I am thinking of....

There must have been a Conde who was in the running for the Polish crown a decade or two later... but I don't think got it?

Heck, memory!

Best vRegards
Grey Wolf

IIRC that would coincide quite well timewise. I think the chap in question rushed home from Poland to take up the French crown on the death of his brother...Ah, but that would make him a Valois I am thinking of....

There must have been a Conde who was in the running for the Polish crown a decade or two later... but I don't think got it?

Heck, memory!

Best vRegards
Grey Wolf

It was the Prince of Conti. He won the election, but didn't want the throne, so dithered on leaving France. When he finally started out, Augustus had already arrived in Danzig and had himself proclaimed King.

A possibility is the Bourbons really going Protestant - if they don't inherit France then there's no "Paris is worth a Mass" and since Orthodox rulers felt closer to the Protestants...

A possibility is the Bourbons really going Protestant - if they don't inherit France then there's no "Paris is worth a Mass" and since Orthodox rulers felt closer to the Protestants...

Did the Orthodox feel closer to Protestants? Do you have any links so I could read about it?

Grey Wolf

Donor
I'm going from marriage policies - the Romanovs married Protestant German families, and I remember Ivan IV propositioning Elizabeth of England...

I know it worked the other way round - British royals for example were forbidden from marrying Catholics, but a marriage to an Orthodox royal was fine (obviously Moscow wasn't about to try to reassert religious hegemony over the UK!)

Other German states may have felt the same way?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I once read that Peter the Great's eldest daughter, the later Tsarina Elisabeth Petrovna, was once proposed as a bride to Louis XV. Of course, chances of this are few and would probably butterfly Elizabeth's accession to the Russian Throne...

Perhaps if Louis XIV's family was not so depleted by smallpox in 1711-1712, then we could have a Franco-Russian match leading to a Bourbon dynasty on the Russian throne: the Bourbon-Romanov. Of course, we have to take butterfly into accounts and hope Elizabeth Petrovna is still interested in her home country if she gets married. There is also the problem of conversion linked to such a marriage: the Russians won't look for anything but an Orthodox King and Elizabeth, if married, would probably have had to convert and give up her religion. Second possibility would be that she later reconverts to Orthodoxy along with her husband but that makes a lot of variables...