Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

42,000 seems like a HUGE undergrad population but if they are both a 2 year community college and a 4 year "regular" college I can see it.

Seattle Subway - Landing Page
The Seattle Metropolitan Subway, known colloquially as "the Metro," is a heavy rail metro system in the city of Seattle, Washington and its immediate suburbs, owned and operated by Seattle Metropolitan Transit Systems, a public-private regional transit authority that also operates the Seattle Transit bus system and three Seattle Streetcar lines. The Metro was begun in the 1930s with the construction of its first line, from Upper Queen Anne to the Day Street Terminal on Lake Washington in 1932 under the auspices of the "Bogue Plan of Seattle," one of the most ambitious comprehensive city plans of the City Beautiful era to be brought to fruition in the postwar era. Spearheaded by Seattle's longtime mayor Hulet Wells, the Metro was seen as being part and parcel with the broader Bogue Plan initiatives to create a central station on the north side of the city, the creation of a civic center in today's Uptown neighborhood, and the integration of grade-separated S-train and underground subway railways.

The Metro's original six lines were all completed by 1958, in time for the Winter Olympic games of the same year, and are known today as the Old System or Bogue System, built dependently around the 3rd Avenue Tunnel and the Dearborn Trunk Tunnel, which even today are the backbone of the system. The Bogue System featured four lines connecting two "halves" of the city via 3rd Avenue and the Dearborn Trunk, referred to internally as the West Spurs and East Spurs for where they enter and exit the trunk, as well as the Capitol Hill Circulator that operated in a closed loop on Capitol Hill and the Crosstown Line from Ballard to Sand Point Park. Starting in the 1960s, system expansions built out a new route network that included a second Crosstown Line from Madrona down to Henry Jackson-Seattle Airport via First Avenue, and a new Eighth Avenue Elevated stemming from the New Dearborn Tunnel immediately south of the original, inaugurated in 1974. In the 1990s, new lines were extended to West Seattle via the Duwamish SkyBridge, the longest dedicated transit bridge in the world, and ahead of the 2000 Winter Olympics an extension across the Lake Washington Floating Bridge to the Eastside suburbs. With the opening of the Chinatown Connector to integrate the Dearborn Trunks to the First Avenue Line, three new lines were opened shortly after the Olympics in 2001 after years of delays, and today the Metro has 13 lines with over 160 stops and close to 360 aggregate route kilometers (many of these routes duplicate the same trackage, particularly on the 3rd Avenue, Dearborn and 27th Avenue trunk lines). Metro trains run with a six-minute headway, so in the 3rd Avenue-Dearborn-27th Avenue "U" of trunk lines, at capacity, trains arrive every 60 seconds.

(Individual Route Breakdowns to come...)

Seattle City College is an institution of tertiary education in the city of Seattle, Washington. Located on Capitol Hill and First Hill, it sits on a dense, urban campus of 45 acres and sports a student population of approximately 42,000 full-time and part-time students in two, three, or four year degree or continuing adult education programs. It is part of the Washington Colleges Association, and like all county, vocational and city colleges in Washington state, it does not charge tuition fees. At the heart of one of the most densely populated neighborhoods on the West Coast, SCC provides subsidized student housing for about a fifth of its student population in on-campus housing.

The college traces its history back to the 1960s, when non-four year degree campuses were established across the state without tuition costs for "non-traditional tertiary education needs." Since then, it has grown rapidly, particularly during Seattle's major economic boom from the mid-1980s to early 2000s, nearly doubling in enrollment between 1990 and 1999. Due to its location and often-transient student population, SCC has developed a reputation for student radicalism and its Associated Student Union has often been at the center of campus protests since its founding. The college in particular is known for its three-year nursing degree program with strong connections to nearby hospitals (it is adjacent to one of the largest hospital concentrations on the West Coast).

View attachment 801426

(As I keep feeling out what the international vibe will be, I wanted to go in a different direction - some city-specific updates across the US to give everyone a sense of what modern America is like ITTL. A lot of this will revolve around my hometown of Seattle, but we'll go all over the place, too)
So, it's just the one campus ITTL?

Besides what I’m sketching out right now, are there any specific content requests?
Look up Fusion Cuisine. Different imperial management should cause some cultures to create interesting plates, such as French-Taiwanese, French-Korean, German-Cambodian, German-Cameroonian, Russian-Chinese, Mexican-Dixie, etc. The restaurant scene in the US could have much more competition between the various immigrant chains (imagine an Irish or Polish or Norwegian equivalent of McDonalds or KFC or Taco Bell); New Orleans could the back-to-back Michelin star winner each year. And most of all, will margaritas exist, and will Americans drink them on May 5?

Some/all of these have already been mentioned but a few things which came to mind:
  • Food
  • Films and TV (how did Mexican cinema develop TTL, to pick a random example)
  • More sport always welcome
  • There are a whole bunch of countries I'm interested in too but I won't mention here because that's potentially very spoilery

Maybe it is my 18 years working in a prison, but I would be interested in Southern prison farms and convict leasing. Are free blacks and freedmen who commit crimes sentenced back into slavery?