Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

Seems like King Victor Emmanuel III or one of his successors screwed things up so badly the monarchy was probably voted out like it was IOTL or maybe there were certain structural forces at work they couldn’t cope with.

2020 FIFA World Cup
2020 FIFA World Cup (French: Coupe de Monde 2020; Spanish: Copa Mundial de 2020) was the 25th FIFA World Cup, a quadrennial international football tournament organized by FIFA and hosted by Mexico between 11 June and 12 July 2020, after it was awarded the hosting rights at the 2012 FIFA World Congress. It was the second time Mexico had hosted the World Cup, having previously hosted the 1960 edition, and the fourth time it was hosted in North America. Fans and pundits alike regard this tournament as one of the best ever held.

31 national teams advanced via qualification hosted by their respective confederations to appear, along with Mexico qualifying automatically as host; Venezuela and Nicaragua were debutants in the tournament, appearing in their first-ever World Cup. 64 matches were played in total across 12 venues in 11 host cities in Mexico. 11 of the previous 13 title holders appeared in the tournament, one shy of the record 12 in the previous iteration in 2016. The defending title holder, Germany, became the fifth consecutive defending champion to be eliminated at the group stage, while the other ten previous champions were able to advance. The runner-up of the previous tournament, co-favorite and top-ranked national side in FIFA rankings, Italy, was defeated in the first game of the Round of 16, creating what was thus regarded as one of the most open knockout stages in recent history; Britain, Brazil, and the Netherlands were also eliminated at this stage, while Spain, France and Sweden were eliminated in the quarterfinals. The United States was defeated in the semifinals by host nation and 2019 Confederations Cup champion Mexico, but consoled itself with a third-place victory over Denmark in the bronze medal game.

In the final, Mexico defeated three-time champion Argentina 2-1 with a goal by Hirving Lozano in the 88th minute to become the first and only country to win five World Cup titles (they already were the only country to have won four); with the win, it also gave Mexico three titles in the four North American World Cups. It was the first time that a quarterfinal did not feature at least one of Britain, Germany or Italy. The World Cup also featured some remarkable statistics, such as Italy earning a goal differential of ten in the group stages before exiting in the round of 16 goalless (including the top scorer of the tournament, Ciro Immobile, accruing all his goals in the group), as well as Mexico winning the World Cup having scored only 9 goals and not allowing a goal until their quarterfinal match with France despite the high-scoring nature of the tournament.

1669649916742.png

(Reposted to reflect the correct flag for Italy, which is not meant to be a Republic in 2020. Groups and knockouts to come, if I can manage the wikiboxes lol, and then we'll do a tour of Mexican infrastructure, etc, ahead of the tournament)

Attachments

• 1669495978533.png
    1669495978533.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 455
  • 1669495995259.png
    1669495995259.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
*Possible* Easter Eggs.
1) Mexican host city of Tegucigalpa
2) Mexican host city of Dallas
3) New Confederation of the Equator qualified for the world cup
4) Minas Gerais qualified for the world cup
5) Alabama qualified for the world cup
6) Mindanao just missed qualifying, having finished just below Kurdistan (which was in its 3rd World Cup)
7) The two previous North American World Cups outside of Mexico were in Canada and Cuba.
8) The World Cup in Cuba in 1968 (Independence achieved in 1952) was *not* moved despite the tensions that led to Cuba being a participant in the Lesser American War (also known as the great Confederate turkey shoot and the only twentieth century war to entirely take place *during* a World Cup)

Note. I *assumed* that by the fact that Venezuela first qualified for the World cup in 2020 that it was a Venezuela screw, since *of course* every South American Country has been to the world cup. Apparently OTL is the Venezuela screw...

*Possible* Easter Eggs.
1) Mexican host city of Tegucigalpa
2) Mexican host city of Dallas
3) New Confederation of the Equator qualified for the world cup
4) Minas Gerais qualified for the world cup
5) Alabama qualified for the world cup
6) Mindanao just missed qualifying, having finished just below Kurdistan (which was in its 3rd World Cup)
7) The two previous North American World Cups outside of Mexico were in Canada and Cuba.
8) The World Cup in Cuba in 1968 (Independence achieved in 1952) was *not* moved despite the tensions that led to Cuba being a participant in the Lesser American War (also known as the great Confederate turkey shoot and the only twentieth century war to entirely take place *during* a World Cup)

Note. I *assumed* that by the fact that Venezuela first qualified for the World cup in 2020 that it was a Venezuela screw, since *of course* every South American Country has been to the world cup. Apparently OTL is the Venezuela screw...
Hahaha some of these are pretty good! Most accurate one I can spot in there is Mindanao still being independent, which is spot on

Venezuela is a baseball powerhouse IOTL and that's the sport most people there care about, in sharp contrast to... well, basically everywhere else in Latin America. Curiously, this is the case in Nicaragua, too, in contrast to its Central American neighbors. Once I read about that, the opportunity presented itself.

Venezuela is a baseball powerhouse IOTL and that's the sport most people there care about, in sharp contrast to... well, basically everywhere else in Latin America. Curiously, this is the case in Nicaragua, too, in contrast to its Central American neighbors. Once I read about that, the opportunity presented itself.
In certain parts of Colombia (especially Barranquilla) they adore baseball but soccer is still number one there, especially in Bogota.

In certain parts of Colombia (especially Barranquilla) they adore baseball but soccer is still number one there, especially in Bogota.
I believe it’s really a Caribbean thing. Nicaragua and Venezuela are more oriented towards Caribbean countries, cultures and economies and thus have more of a baseball tradition (and Barranquilla being the chief Caribbean port checks out for Colombia)

Hahaha some of these are pretty good! Most accurate one I can spot in there is Mindanao still being independent, which is spot on

You mean Kurdistan is in its*4th* world cup?

I need to look back at what has happened to OTL Philippines...

Went back to my notes and realized I actually forgot to credit Mexico with its proper number of World Cup titles, which with the 2020 win is now 5 - the same number Brazil has IOTL. Wikibox and text has been reflected to correct this

Went back to my notes and realized I actually forgot to credit Mexico with its proper number of World Cup titles, which with the 2020 win is now 5 - the same number Brazil has IOTL. Wikibox and text has been reflected to correct this
Who is the Mexican equivalent of Pele, I wonder?

Do you have a complete list of winners infobox you could share?

Who is the Mexican equivalent of Pele, I wonder?

Do you have a complete list of winners infobox you could share?
Good q. I leave it open to some of our numerous Mexican readers who know the country’s history better than I who the candidates for that role could be

Not yet, but I can draw one up. It may be a tad spoilery but I have a rough head-canon of the broad strokes of the rest of the 20th century

Gonna work a bit on the 2020 FIFA World Cup's knockouts (groups seems a little too much work ATM) and then I'm going to toy around with the equivalent of college football - college rugby, as co-operated by the alt-NCAA and Rugby USA - but I'm going back and forth on what the conferences should look like. The debate is whether to include Canadian teams in certain conferences, and which elite private schools to include, since university rugby still has a few trappings of its beginnings of an elite sport rather than the more populist college football of IOTL, open to thoughts either way.

Gonna work a bit on the 2020 FIFA World Cup's knockouts (groups seems a little too much work ATM) and then I'm going to toy around with the equivalent of college football - college rugby, as co-operated by the alt-NCAA and Rugby USA - but I'm going back and forth on what the conferences should look like. The debate is whether to include Canadian teams in certain conferences, and which elite private schools to include, since university rugby still has a few trappings of its beginnings of an elite sport rather than the more populist college football of IOTL, open to thoughts either way.
Are you keeping the CSA schools out of USA based conferences and vice versa? I can think of a few when I'm at the desk tomorrow as opposed to on my phone now.

The debate is whether to include Canadian teams in certain conferences, and which elite private schools to include, since university rugby still has a few trappings of its beginnings of an elite sport rather than the more populist college football of IOTL, open to thoughts either way.
Just remember, NDSU is amazing and, even when they are bad, they destroy any Confederate team they play ;)

Are you keeping the CSA schools out of USA based conferences and vice versa? I can think of a few when I'm at the desk tomorrow as opposed to on my phone now.
Yes. CSA/Texas/not-Oklahoma all out, weighing whether or not to include a handful of Canadian schools from the four Western provinces vs certain unis that IOTL are Division II or lower, and often don’t even sponsor football. This obviously has knock on effects of being a bit of a Big Ten wank as a result, haha
Just remember, NDSU is amazing and, even when they are bad, they destroy any Confederate team they play ;)
Duly noted! Haha